Print this page Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Oct 152014

Lights go out/dim while driving. No additional electrical items in use-heater, ac, gps, radio, cigarette lighter. Does not appear to be affected or caused by speed, acceleration, deceleration. Fule tank will sometimes register empty while mostly full. Do not notice problem during daylight driving.

- Fountain Hills, AZ, USA

Nov 072014

I noticed my battery guage quit. Then after starting my truck a few different times, the gas guage read differently. Then my speedometer wduld stick on 100 when I was doing approximatly 60. Then the speedometer would not work at all. There needs to be a recall on it. My friend has a 2005 also and her cluster pannel went out too. Its a $400 repair. This has happened to quite a few 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazers from what ive read online. Come on General Motors. You need to recall these models.

- Parkersburg, WV, USA

Dec 012013

Gas gauge registers empty regardless of amount of gasoline in tank.

- Russell, MA, USA

Aug 032012

This vehicle was knowingly sold with an existing failure to a warrantied part. The dealership failed to notify us, the prospective buyer about the failed part and has attempted to offer "hush money" to make their responsibility go away. The secondary air injection pump is known to be bad on the vehicle and the dealership refuses to repair it and just as stated offer hush money to make this problem go away. This type of behavior needs to stop and dealerships held responsible for their actions. A document with the information about the problem can be provided if needed to further investigation.

- Springfield, OH, USA

Feb 052012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The fuel gauge does not work. The fuel gauge sets on empty regardless of how full the gas tank is.

- Martinsburg, WV, USA

Feb 042009

The fuel gauge stopped working in my vehicle and by the time the recall occurred in 2013, my vehicle has more than the limited mileage of 120,000 or less to pay for half the repair cost. The speedometer failed to work at all back in 2009 as well.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 282013

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Everytime I fill up my truck my gas needle go to empty. Now it's stay on empty.. I had ran out of gas twice. The first time I ran out of gas I was in columbus, Ohio. I had an 1998 Blazer and I had to get an new fuel pump cause the gas gauge was in the fuel pump. Something need to be done about this.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 262013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Vehicle fuel gauge stopped working when I turned off the vehicle.

- Dover, DE, USA

Oct 312013

We were driving on interstate 94 in North Dakota and we heard a pop. By the time we pulled over there were flames up to the window on the drivers door. We quickly got out. Vehicle is a total loss. This should not happen. Date of accident was 10/31/2014.

- Waterloo, WI, USA

Apr 152013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Driving down man O war boulevard in lexington, ky - all of a sudden the gas gauge stopped working and went to empty. I called GM regarding this issue and they told me that they would not cover repairs for this defect. Since then I've ran out of gas with all 3 of my children in the car while moving at least 45 mph down the road causing cars behind me to slam on their brakes. This in my opinion is a safety issue. It was their mistake and Chevrolet should pay for the repairs to correct it.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Sep 012008

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I purchased my SUV in August of 2008 about a month later after pumping gas I noticed the fuel gauge spinning uncontrollably. Due to the warranty I purchase carmax fixed the problem at that time not it is 5 years later and exact same things has happened as well as all the other gauges spinning. Shortly, after the fuel gauge went out I notice the speedometer and the accelerator gauges doing the same thing. I have had my SUV for 5 years and has constantly complained about the gauges spinning back and forth.

- Hammond, IN, USA

Sep 012010

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

My gas gauge had begun acting up. It would say empty even when filled. I would fill it up and the gauge would go to half then back up to full. I did not know for sure how much gas was in the vehicle. I was driving and the car stalled out because it ran out of gas even tho the gauge said full and I was rear ended.

- Kankakee, IL, USA

Aug 292014

I bought this car at the end of March of this year with under 100,000 miles. The first thing to go was the gas gauge, about 2 months after I bought the trail Blazer the needle went South. It actually hovers around 6 0 ' clock. Then a couple nights ago driving home I had the cruise control on, I took it with the hand button and looked down and the needle never moved, it was stuck at 65. It's been 3 days and the needle has moved but the wrong way, to the right going up 75, 80, 90, then back down to 65 and staying there. I have looked into replacing the gas gauge and I was told the entire dash would have to be done at a price of $1200, I should not have to do this, Chevrolet should be held responsible.

- Shingle Springs, CA, USA

Jan 132014

Cluster gauges are going out. The speedometer quick working a few years ago and is intermittent at best on a daily basis. It either indicates a lesser or greater speed than actual or just falls to point straight down. I have been using a mounted gps to indicate speed. Initial repair cost estimates were $500+ for the parts since they will only replace the entire gauge cluster. With labor, the estimate was in excess of $800. Fuel gauge is now inoperative or intermittent. When I fill the tank, the fuel gauge reads way past the full line. Having to rely of the fuel to empty and the fuel used computer information along with the trip meter to estimate fuel. Received another estimate for a mechanic to pull the gauge cluster and rebuild each individual gauge motor for an estimate of $500. Based upon the number similar complaints on this same thing, this appears to be a manufacturing defect that needs to be corrected by GM.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

May 032014

On May 3, 2014, I filled the gas tank up, and began to exit the gas station. The fuel gauge showed less gas in the tank then when I began fueling. After several miles the gas gauge showed slightly more gas, but was still not providing an accurate reading. After shutting down the vehicle I checked the gas gauge, and it was still not working properly. I've been reviewing online complaints through the NHTSA website, and this appears to be an ongoing problem with the 2005 Chevy Trailblazers resulting in accidents. I'm very grateful. I observed the problem before stalling in an intersection or other dangerous location with my three small children in the vehicle.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 122011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Driving down main road in town and the vehicle just stopped right in the middle of the lane - no warning or anything. We were almost rear ended. I had my 3 children with me and had to push the vehicle up the road to the nearest turn in and call my husband for help. I contact Chevrolet and was told that since I was not the original owner of the vehicle that they would only cover 1/2 of the cost to repair the fuel gauge problem and they could not guarantee it would not happen again. I told them that I paid my 1/2 when I purchased the vehicle. I've been fighting this for 3 years with no avail. I hope your Agency can help.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jan 062014

While sitting at a stop light, the fuel gauge stopped working. The gauge went all the way down to "E" and the low fuel level indicator appeared on the display. Now when I fill up the tank, the gauge reads empty and after I drive about 20-30 miles it will move up to about 1/4 tank but no higher and sometimes it will still move back to empty that slowly move back up. Also sometimes the oil pressure indicator will drop all the way down while idling or in park and the low pressure indicator will appear, but as soon as the gas is pressed, the pressure will go back to normal. Also, about 1 1/2 years ago, the keyless entry/alarm/back liftgate lock and license plate light all stopped working simultaneously. I was told that it is probably a grounding wire issue but not definitive. Now my liftgate will not lock at all.

- Newark, DE, USA

Feb 272013

My Trailblazer 2005 would be driving down the street at about 25 to 30 miles, then my engine would just turn off with out any warning, am afraid it will happen again but this time when am in the highways going 60 miles on the highway I seen that is not just my vehicle that has happened to and even the fuel pump has gave up with out no answer, the GM or Chevrolet dealership don't have a clue why this is happening. It will be really helpful if you guys look into this before someone gets hurt on this malfunction. I really appreciate for taking your time. Sincerely, Chevrolet Trailblazer driver

- Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

Oct 022013

After filing the gas tank, the check engine light and low fuel light came on and the fuel gauge registered empty within minutes of leaving the gas station. It has continued to be malfunctioning like this off and on over the last month. I have heard of 2 other people I know, with the same make, model, and year vehicle with the same problem. Is this a recurring problem nationwide with other owners of this vehicle?

- Appleton, WI, USA

Jul 242013

Fuel gauge says empty no matter how much fuel you put in also ABS/brake service indicator light comes on.

- Shalimar, FL, USA