Notes: There are serious power steering concerns for the Traverse. Data shows that owners are having a difficult time with their power steering quitting, particularly at low speeds.

2010 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Traverse:

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 1 of 15)

Feb 072018

Check engine light displays then engine power reduced warning comes on, causing the vehicle to slow at any time (very dangerous when on the freeway). The throttle needle and car shakes and car will cut off and stall to turn on again.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jan 092018

Power steering stopped working while parking at low speed. Took the car to a Chevy dealer and they couldn't find anything diagnostically wrong with it. Very disconcerting.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Nov 042017

Power steering and timing chain failed in vehicle at 74K miles. There are several complaints regarding the same issues from other owners of this vehicle. General Motors has not accepted responsibility for this issue which has been widely reported. While in motion on November 4, 2017, our vehicle became difficult to maneuver eventually shutting off. Upon trying to restart the vehicle we heard a grinding sound. We immediately pushed the vehicle to a near by reputable repair shop. Upon their evaluation it was determined the timing chain was faulty and needed to be replaced. We contacted General Motors to inform them of the issue, they responded by having us to tow our vehicle to don brown Chevrolet in saint louis Missouri. General Motors asked us to authorize don brown to "break down" the vehicle in which we agreed. We were then informed because of a cost analysis being performed by General Motors and don brown, a break down of the vehicle was not necessary and nothing would be done by the manufacturer to repair the power steering or timing chain. It is widely reported old timing chains were installed in 2009-2011 Chevy Traverse which has led to several engine failures and inoperable vehicles of consumers across the country. It is irresponsible for General Motors to have not issued a recall on these vehicles with timing chains that stretch and cause engine damage. General Motors has placed a hardship on families when they refuse to cover the very expensive cost of these repairs. We purchased our vehicle less than 2 years ago from a Chevy dealer and to have it to become impossible to steer and shut off in traffic is very dangerous and needs to be investigated. General Motors has not offered any relief with an issue known to them.being out of warranty and not purchasing an extended warranty should exclude defects as in the ones stated in this complaint.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Oct 012017

Everytime when the steering wheel is turned, it makes a grinding noise. It keeps getting worse. Even when the steering wheel is barely turned.

- Yale, OK, USA

Oct 292017

Traveling aprox 55mph. Loss of steering and braking power. Vehicle ended up in a ditch and now no longer running. Accident claim made with geico.

- Wakefield, NH, USA

Sep 282017

After taking my vehicle in to have my oil replaced at the dealership, as I was leaving I began to experience trouble turning the steering wheel. Went to another dealership to have my vehicle looked at in route home, and was told the power steering pump and the wheel (pulley) may need to be replaced but to wait because they have over 80 2010 Traverse owners with the identical problem and GM is aware of this so lets hope soon this will be recalled to have fixed at no cost to me. It's been over two weeks and I have yet to read or hear about this issue being recalled for service repairs. I can't turn left or right at slow speeds or when parking without placing a hard strain on my back trying to turn the steering wheel. Please GM do something about this serious vehicle safety issue soon!! I can't even drive on the highway of fear this will cause me to crash and it is my only reliable transportation.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 202017

The steering rack on this vehicle went making it impossible to steer. This has been the case in many of these vehicles of this year. Prior years of this make and model have been recalled for the same issue but as of yet the 2010 has not. They replaced my steering pump and told me the rack was gone and would be 1700 to replace. The car cannot be driven as it is unsafe. The timing chain is also gone which is another issue with this make and model that Chevrolet is not dealing with. Although this does not render the vehicle unsafe it is overall a very badly designed vehicle. My major issue is the safety and read many many complaints on this make and model. I can no longer use the vehicle as it is unsafe to drive and a serious financial hardship. I bought this car in good faith according to the safety rating to Transport my grandchildren and friends and it is now unsafe and unable to be driven. I am hoping for a recall of this vehicle as I have read that I am not the only one dealing with this situation. Thank you. Joan true

- Kennebunkport, ME, USA

Sep 152017

At low speeds turning left or right the steering locks up and is difficult to turn. Cannot always make a turn as expected and must make wide turn into on-coming traffic but usually able to stop in time. Happens randomly. Has been happening since we bought the car @ 1 year.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

May 152017

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. On several occasions, while driving low speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to phillips Chevrolet (9700 w Lincoln hwy, frankfort, il 60423 (815) 469-2323) for a routine service check. The technician did not locate any diagnostic codes and the failure could not be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000....updated 11/15/17

- Homewood, IL, USA

May 182014

Power steering fails without warning when making turns, particularly at low speeds. Then as quickly as it fails, it will return again. The car now has 120,000 miles on it, but this issue started when it only had 50,000 miles on it, and was just out of warrantee. 3 different mechanics including the dealership and they have said they have no idea what the problem is as the power steering pump is working properly and the power steering reservoir is properly filled. The dealer actually told us ¿it's just time for a new car guys.¿ we have spoken in person to two other owners of Traverses and they describe the exact same problem.

- Hoover, AL, USA

Jul 282017

Having problem with my steering wheel on my 2010 Traverse. Every time I turn especially when I'm trying to park the steering wheel is very hard to turn like if the vehicle had no steering fluid. It's problem that lots of owner with the same model have and I think GM should make this a recall.

- Pacoima, CA, USA

Jul 202015

The problem with this vehicle is loss of power steering when driving at low to speed especialy when turning in either direction. I started having this problem at around 80 K miles and its getting progressively worse. Now it does this when not driving. I took it to the dealer where I purchaced this vehicle., jba Chevrolet in glen burnie, md. I was told that Chevrolet was not coveing the cost of the power steering pump or the rack and pinion even though there are hundreds of travese owners with this same problem. This is truely a safety issue, not knowing when you could lose the ability to steer.!!!! and in my case at any speed.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

May 012016

Power steering stiffens when parking or going around curbs at low speeds. Almost hit vehicles in a parking garage caused by this issue. This issue has been occurring since the Traverse had 52K miles.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 132017

At slow speed attempting to turn the steering get so stiff you need two hand to turn the steering wheel. Most time notice the problem at 5-10 mph. Turning both right and left into a parking space or from a stop to turn onto a street.

- Cambridge, OH, USA

Mar 172017

Car steering failure at stopped or low speed (10 mph) turns. No issue with turn while at high or cruising speeds. Occurs on both left and right turns.

- Gun Barrel City, TX, USA

Apr 112017

Under 35mph, the steering gets very difficult, making the car very difficult to control. It happens frequently, in parking lots, exiting and entering lots. And you never know when, until you are mid-turn, causing you to use extreme effort to maneuver. It made me very fearful and a bit panicked that I would not be able to prevent an accident, if one were pending. It has been increasingly difficult and more frequent since the date listed below

- Fife, WA, USA

Apr 272017

The contact's mother owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. While the contact's mother was driving 40 mph, the steering wheel became extremely loose and the vehicle made a squealing sound. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Monroeville, NJ, USA

Apr 272017

After driving the vehicle at low speeds noticed whining noise and hard to turn. After inspection by auto shop they stated the SUV had a leak in the power steering rack and it needed to be replaced. Vehicle has less then 55,000 miles with no other issues.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Apr 232017

Our 2010 Chevrolet Traverse will lose power steering when making hard turns and/or turning at low speeds. The vehicle has been in motion nearly every time when this happens. We have lost all power steering when turning even on five lane highways, crossing very busy highways. We have never experienced this with a vehicle before this one. We are reporting it today, but we have experienced this sudden loss of power steering several times with our Traverse. This is a safety issue, and General Motors needs to do something about it.

- Wilson, NC, USA

Jan 122017

Steering is stiff and very hard to turn at low speed or stopped.

- Fairfield, OH, USA