2010 Chrysler Town & Country engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chrysler Town & Country:

2010 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Mar 112018

Town & Country

The car goes from the "run" position to the "accessory" position all by itself while driving on streets. When that happens you have no power steering or brakes and the engine turns off. Since you have no steering or brakes, you can't control the car or stop it. Very dangerous/ life threatening. There was a recall for this on 2010 Town & Country's, but they tell me that my car is 4 months outside of that recall. So they know it was an issue and still is.

- Antioch, IL, USA

Mar 032018

Town & Country

While driving the car in town it has now (3rd time) randomly shut off. It has happen while going anywhere from 10-40 mph. The traction light flashes for a quick second and then you lose all power. This includes the breaks and steering. Was able to coast to the side of the road. Put the car in park and start the car back up and it has run fine. It has become more frequent recently and is a very serious situation as we have avoided an accident twice with other cars around us almost hitting us. This should be recalled as I have read over 200 different reports on various sites. We took to a dealer and they were not able to get a code to pin point what is wrong. I have heard the erg valve was replaced on some and it has solve this issue. If Chrysler doesn't want to look into this reoccurring problem it is horrible. I hope a death doesn't have to occur before they look into this.

- Oglesby, IL, USA

Jan 022017

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. On multiple occasions, while driving various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly stall. After restarting the engine, the vehicle would operate normally. The vehicle was taken to landmark Chrysler (6850 mount zion blvd, morrow, ga), but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 96,000.

- Riverdale, GA, USA

Feb 192018

Town & Country

My wife was backing out of a driveway, the engine shut off and the power brakes and power steering didn't work. The vehicle drifted into the road because she was unable to stop in time. There were no other cars involved in the incident.

- Niles, OH, USA

Jan 082018

Town & Country

Vehicle started having issues in 2014. Vehicle just would not crank one morning. Got a jump start and took it to autozone and got a new battery. About 3 months later the same thing happened. Got a jump start, went to autozone and they found nothing wrong with battery, alternator or starter. Autozone gave me a new battery anyway. About 4 months later, happened again. Brought vehicle to Chrysler for win module recall fix and explained what was happening. They said handling the recall and a new battery should fix the problem. About 2 months later, had the same problem. Chrysler replace win module again and I got Chrysler to replace battery at this time as I explained that the battery was being affected due to the part that was being recalled. All was fine for about a year or so and then started happening again. Brought it back to Chrysler and they said battery had a dead cell. I explained that they had just put the battery in about a year ago and it should be under warranty. They told me, "we don't do warranty replacements on warranty replacements". so, I am just dealing with the battery right now. Most recently, about 3 months ago, dash board warning lights started all coming in at the same time. Then they would all go off and one side of the dash illumination would go out. Next start up, illumination would be fine again. This happened several times over a couple of months. Then, one day while driving, the power steering went out, the traction light came on and the vehicle shut off! was able to put vehicle in neutral and restart. This happened a few times in a month, but was always ok after one restart. Now, it keeps happening and only lasts a few minutes before needing to be restarted again. Afraid that this is going to happen while turning across oncoming traffic or in a situation where we can not pull over to safety and will get rear-ended.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 122018

Town & Country

The van stalls out while driving around 20 to 30 miles per hour.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Nov 292017

Town & Country

Randomly loses power, sometimes a split second, other times a complete shut down and doesn't let key go. Sometimes it causes things to stop working, like cruise control. More often when lights are on and other things used, like A/C or turn signals. Sometimes when only lights are used, and sometimes lights not even on.

- El Mirage, AZ, USA

Oct 122017

Town & Country

Engine shuts off while in motion in drive mode. This happens at any rate of speed, 70 mph to 10 mph, in good weather conditions, on the highway and local streets, driving straight or turning slightly. The ABS module tested bad 9 months ago and was replaced by auto electric specialists of houston. This did not solve the problem. I have not had the ECM replaced. My Chrysler dealership cannot find the problem and has told me to keep driving and to bring the car in right away if the issue happens again. The car scares me!!! it has shut off three times now in the last year. I wonder if this is the same problem that has now been reported with the 2017 Chrysler pacifica?

- Katy, TX, USA

Aug 012016

Town & Country

On many different occasions, my 2010 Chrysler Town and country will shut off while driving. All of the warning lights illuminate on my dashboard, the power steering shuts off, and the engine shuts off. I must coast to the side of the road, without power steering, and turn the key to the off position. Then, I must restart the vehicle. It always restarts, but this happens about once every 2 weeks. After reading the recall details of the 2017 Chrysler pacificas, the description of the problem matches the problems I am having. My mechanic has inspected my van, but he cannot diagnose any problem unless he, himself, experiences and witnesses the stalling occur. Problem happens while in motion. It has happened slowly in a parking lot, and it has happened at 55 mph on a highway.

- Lockeford, CA, USA

Oct 242017

Town & Country

2010 Town and country engine died when in motion going around 35 mph also died when coming to a stop at stop light. The electronic stability control light went on when engine cut off. Loss of power steering and power brakes. Was able to put it in park and restart.

- Liberty Twp., OH, USA

Oct 022017

Town & Country

Car engine dies making brakes gas pedal and steering go out! car complaints.com has a report on this problem?! directed me to this website. Please help fear for mine and kids safety driving this vehicle under these circumstances! we were driving while this took place.

- Tillamook, OR, USA

Sep 202017

Town & Country

While driving the van it randomly shuts down the engine and it is very difficult to steer. You cannot accelerate out of the path of traffic. This is extremely dangerous!

- Cocoa, FL, USA

Sep 012017

Town & Country

The last two days in a row, my van has shut off while I was in the first 2 minutes of driving it in the morning, going about 25 miles an hour in a residential neighborhood. The first time it happened right after I turned right at a stopped sign. The second time I had just gone over a speed hump (slowly). The engine totally shut down while still in drive. I braked (without power) to a stop, put the van in park, turned the key off, and then restarted the van. No problems after restart. Restarted just fine. But this has happened two days in a row. This seems like it could be extremely dangerous!

- Waterloo, IA, USA

Jan 112016

Town & Country

We've had a sporadic, reoccurring problem where the engine shuts down while driving down the road. The van will lose acceleration, the power steering fails, (at least one time the power brakes failed as well) and the traction control light illuminates. As these happen, you realize that they were caused because the engine has just performed an uncommanded (by the driver) shutdown. Unfortunately, none of these symptoms are necessarily immediately obvious. For instance, when traveling straight (not using power steering), at low speeds (not accelerating), the first indication of failure is that the traction control light has illuminated. The far more concerning issue is when you realize that the engine (and systems) has failed while attempting to turn through an intersection. After the engine fails it will restart immediately. The issue is controlling the vehicle -after losing power steering, the ability to accelerate, traction control, and brakes - through the failure, in traffic, often on contaminated roads (rain, snow, or ice are common fall through early spring where we live) to be able to safely restart the engine. This problem began two years ago. It happened a few times in the winter over a couple week span and then went away. The next fall (8-9) months later it began doing it again. The occurrences this time were more frequent. We were told by the dealership that they were unable to duplicate our failures due to the intermittent nature of the problem. After a several weeks, the failures stopped. Now at the end of summer, it's been probably 9-10 months since the last occurrence, it has started again. Several occurrences in the last week. From what we can remember, the failures occur with the first several minutes of the trip (sometimes more than one within a few minutes) and usually at lower speeds. We can't remember an event above 40 mph.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Aug 022017

Town & Country

Van fails to start or even turn over. Happens without previous warning. When key is turned, only a short crank of the engine occurs and nothing else. Typically lasts between 15 minutes to 2 hours before vehicle will start. This has been happening since vehicle was new. Estimate occurrence between 12-18 times. Win module replaced under warranty and tipm flashed numerous times. Starting to occur more frequently in the past 6 months, approximately once a month. Everything else electrically works in vehicle when this occurs, including power doors, windows, etc. Vehicle is stopped and there is no pattern to length of time sitting, angle parked at, or anything. Has happened in garage, parking lots, and most recently in car wash.

- Platteville, WI, USA

Jul 212017

Town & Country

The engine of my 2010 Chrysler Town and country shut off while traveling on the highway at a speed of approximately 60mph. It has happened two other times at lower speeds while in town. The issue left me and my family in danger of a highway collision. This problem appears to be with the ignition switch spontaneously dropping into accessory mode which matches a recall for the same issue in other Town and country's very close to the date of manufacture of mine. That recall was 14V373. My van was manufactured four months after the recall window relating to the ignition switch issue which subsequently disables the airbags and other safety equipment. The specific part that was the issue in 14V373 and what I believe to be the issue here is the win module.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jun 232017

Town & Country

2010 Chrysler Town & Country completely shuts off while driving, rpms dropped below 1 and power steering completely gone. Took car to my mechanic was told win module, towed car to local Chrysler dealer and paid diagnostic fee after being told that recall had already been completed, only to be told by dealer that fuel pump bad and battery needs to be charged. I am doubting the fuel pump would cause car to completely shut down. This is very unsafe and could have been potentially fatal as I had my young children in the car and was seconds away from heading over a big bridge.

- Cape Canaveral, FL, USA

May 292017

Town & Country

At a slow speed of about 5 to 10 mph, my vehicle would shut off leaving me with no power brakes, power steering, and in the path of cars behind me almost hitting me as well. It always happens when I am turning left or right at a slow speed. I have had the wireless ignition control module, battery, and key fob replaced already by the dealer.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

May 212017

Town & Country

For the past two years, between the miles of 78,000 and 97,000, we have experienced multiple (over 2 dozen) events where the vehicle will lose all power. Most occasions occur as we are coming to a stop or attempting to accelerate from a stop. The dash lights usually, but not always, start to flash just prior to the event occurring. When we lose power, it is a complete loss of power. Even the radio and clock need reset after the incident. The events have happened during all types of weather, when the van is cool or has been driven for hours. Multiple dealerships have worked to fix the issue, but nothing has resolved it. O2 sensors, egr valve, ABS module, a throttle body cleaning, and thermostats have been replaced. Only for the stalling to occur again. The issue has been up to the Chrysler corporate people and a dealer in cleveland actually had van for 3 weeks, but could not fix issue. At this point Chrysler has wiped their hands of the issue. The van is at dealer again now, because it stalled out 4 times last weekend. Of course they find no codes and cannot replicate the stalling so they want to do another throttle body cleaning. They have told to us to get the van towed the next time it stall without turning in back on. Easy for them to say because they are not stalled out in the middle of an intersection at 5:30pm on Thursday or another intersection the Sunday evening of new years day. I am fed up with the vehicle and being told they can do nothing for us. I do not want to put my family in harms way any longer. The shear number of complaints for this issue on these vans is alarming. How can a company continue to put a product out that places people, especially children, in such danger. The only other issue for me is that pricing of other minivans (Toyota & Honda) makes it hard to leave the Chrysler models.

- Bay Village, OH, USA

May 052017

Town & Country

When I begin to drive my vehicle within the first few hundred feet or minute of driving the vehicle will shut off completely. Once the vehicle comes to a complete stop I can restart it after the second attempt. I am usually on a city street but heading towards a major highway (garden state parkway or rt 1 or rt 18). I have invoices however the 3 different service stations they are not able to duplicate at the car dealerships service station. This vehicle shutting off at will has been happening since February 2017. Again it is not consistent, I never know when it will happen. This is a safety issue putting myself and my family at risk.

- Manahawkin, NJ, USA