ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2010 Chrysler Town & Country engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chrysler Town & Country:

2010 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 11)

Aug 122018

Town & Country

Stalling problems: Vehicle stalls out at stop lights and coming to stops in traffic on highway. The vehicle would re-started after putting in neutral. The car has stalled when slowing down and making left hand turns. This is very dangerous crossing through the intersection and not knowing if your vehicle will stall out or not. It is becoming more frequent, it happened 5 times on the one trip. I thought I purchased a really good used vehicle, and I think someone just passed on their problems to me. My husband's friend replaced the egr and it stopped doing it for a few days and then started stalling again. So I parked it for a few weeks. This past Friday I took to the mechanic. The mechanic road tested vehicle with scan tool, performed data scan. No codes present/active or stored. They performed complete fuel injection/combustion chamber fuel service. Cleaned throttle plate area. Cleaned combustion chamber. Added fuel system cleaner to fuel tank to clean fuel injectors. Replaced spark plug wires and all spark plugs, erased memory, then re-test drove with scan tool, ok at that time. They advised us that they were unable to duplicate the stalling concern at that time. On Saturday I picked up and it hesitated when going through the intersection, but otherwise seemed ok. On Sunday stalled out at the two red lights in town, but restarted ok. Then after driving on the highway for a half hour, at the exit it stalled at stop sign and did not want to restart - 3 tries before I could get it going. So displeased with this vehicle, and I am worried about driving my daughter and nieces around in it! I wish someone would just tell us what is wrong so we can get it fixed.

- Verona, PA, USA

Aug 042018

Town & Country

Ever since Chrysler issued a recall and replaced the ignition the car stalls while driving down the road. All power is lost and we have to pull over and hope the car starts. Usually it does however sometimes it requires a jump start. It's not a bad battery! I have had it tested and I continued to use the same battery to this day. Over a one year time I have logged probably 50 stall events. Moisture humidity seems to make it worse. Learned this when I moved from Maine to tucson. But now it's stalling a lot here in tucson although it is monsoon season. The dealership said it was due to the weight of keys hanging from the ignition key, the problem is I bought the car new and have never had anything attached to the ignition key. I only carry the ignition key by itself. Nice try Chrysler, but you are wrong. I need to state this stalling problem did not occur until Chrysler issued a recall to prevent stalling instructing the dealership to replace the keys and ignition. Chrysler says it''s my problem I need to pay to fix, I say they created the problem and need to pay to fix. Maybe the ntsb should investigate! didn't GM have a problem like this?

- Vail, AZ, USA

Jul 232018

Town & Country

While driving, the engine cut out and I lost power to steering and brakes. The traction control light then came on when I finally pulled over. After resetting, the vehicle started and drove normally. If this happened on a busy road, serious injury would have occurred to the passengers in my vehicle and anyone else I would have struck due to loss of control.

- Seymour, CT, USA

May 012016

Town & Country

I have 2010 Town and country that has a intermittent cranking problem. I have taken it to two Chrysler dealers and they have kept it for several days and then they tell me they can't find the problem, the dealers say when they have the van hooked up to their diagnosed machine the test does not duplicate. All cranking issues are happening at home and when we are out and about, the van does shut off sometimes after cranking. We have taken van to dealer for a recall that we received pertaining to wireless ignition nod.the fix did not resolve the cranking problem. This cranking issue happens when engine is cold or hot, no lights come on instrument and no codes are stored to help find the problem. The two dealers have checked battery, starter, all grounds, fuel pump relay, fues, any thing they could think of, still no fix. This has been going for two years, please help, mr CEO of Chrysler please help your owners of your vehicles.

- Hampton, GA, USA

Jan 052018

Town & Country

Engine stalls in the first 5 minutes of driving. Sometimes it is difficult to restart, other times not difficult to restart. Occurs 20 mph or slower. Usually while slowing to stop or turn. Has bee happening intermiitantly since January.

- Santa Maria, CA, USA

May 182018

Town & Country

Approximately two months ago the 2010 T&C began being sluggish to start. We replaced the battery and it started fine. A week after it began to stall with the dash lights turning on and off. A day or two later it began to stall and turned off in traffic. The battery has been checked and it is functioning - the local mechanic performed a diagnostic test and no code was present. Currently it had stalled and turned off several times - extremely stressful and dangerous.

- Mayaguez, PR, USA

May 042018

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. During the failure, the anti-lock brake warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to dan hatfield Chrysler Jeep Dodge (245 lafayette St, london, oh 43140) where it was diagnosed that the heater hose failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and advised the contact to file a complaint with NHTSA. The VIN was not provided. The failure mileage was 205,000.

- London, OH, USA

May 112018

Town & Country

I see many complaints on NHTSA regarding Town & Country vehicles with electrical problems, with many related to car not starting, or car stalling. We have sent emails to Chrysler asking for help with how to fix this issue. This is our 3rd Chrysler vehicle. We are happy with the brand but are losing faith because our mechanic/dealer cannot solve the problem specifically, our 2010 Chrysler T&C minivan has trouble starting when it is hot (temperature outside or when car has been running a long time). We have replaced the battery, and had our dealer and an independent mechanic try to figure out what is wrong and how to fix it, without success. We have performed the electrical key ignition recall. Please ask Chrysler to solve the problem and tell dealers (and everyone) how to fix it thank you

- King Of Prussia, PA, USA

May 072018

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning several times. The dealer (atlanta West Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram, 1251 thornton rd, lithia springs, ga 30122) replaced the tipm and the starter, but the repairs failed to correct the failure. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer several times, but the cause of the failure could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified and did not assist. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Austell, GA, USA

Apr 292018

Town & Country

The van will lose all power no matter the speed. This has happened on numerous occasions within the past year. Will have to stop turn van off, then restart. Sometimes takes longer than others but has restarted and will happen again after a little while for no reason. This needs to be fixed before something more serious happens. Please fix this. My families life does matter and so does others>>>....

- Douglas, GA, USA

Apr 182018

Town & Country

Vehicle stalls randomly while driving. This causes steering to lock and breaks to malfunction. Very dangerous. This has happened on several ocasions

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 272018

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated the vehicle experienced a complete loss of power. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to (hendersonville Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram located 401 duncan hill rd, hendersonville, nc) where the failure could not be replicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle failure mileage was approximately 96,000. The VIN was not available.

- Henderson, NC, USA

Mar 252018

Town & Country

Can stalls while in motion after cold start. Usually while 25 - 45 miles per hour. Car seemed to lose power brakes and steering moments before stalling. On city streets. Has happened 20 plus times since purchasing the vehicle new. There are not any engine codes associated with the stalling.

- Loveland, OH, USA

Mar 112018

Town & Country

The car goes from the "run" position to the "accessory" position all by itself while driving on streets. When that happens you have no power steering or brakes and the engine turns off. Since you have no steering or brakes, you can't control the car or stop it. Very dangerous/ life threatening. There was a recall for this on 2010 Town & Country's, but they tell me that my car is 4 months outside of that recall. So they know it was an issue and still is.

- Antioch, IL, USA

Mar 032018

Town & Country

While driving the car in town it has now (3rd time) randomly shut off. It has happen while going anywhere from 10-40 mph. The traction light flashes for a quick second and then you lose all power. This includes the breaks and steering. Was able to coast to the side of the road. Put the car in park and start the car back up and it has run fine. It has become more frequent recently and is a very serious situation as we have avoided an accident twice with other cars around us almost hitting us. This should be recalled as I have read over 200 different reports on various sites. We took to a dealer and they were not able to get a code to pin point what is wrong. I have heard the erg valve was replaced on some and it has solve this issue. If Chrysler doesn't want to look into this reoccurring problem it is horrible. I hope a death doesn't have to occur before they look into this.

- Oglesby, IL, USA

Jan 022017

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. On multiple occasions, while driving various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly stall. After restarting the engine, the vehicle would operate normally. The vehicle was taken to landmark Chrysler (6850 mount zion blvd, morrow, ga), but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 96,000.

- Riverdale, GA, USA

Feb 192018

Town & Country

My wife was backing out of a driveway, the engine shut off and the power brakes and power steering didn't work. The vehicle drifted into the road because she was unable to stop in time. There were no other cars involved in the incident.

- Niles, OH, USA

Jan 082018

Town & Country

Vehicle started having issues in 2014. Vehicle just would not crank one morning. Got a jump start and took it to autozone and got a new battery. About 3 months later the same thing happened. Got a jump start, went to autozone and they found nothing wrong with battery, alternator or starter. Autozone gave me a new battery anyway. About 4 months later, happened again. Brought vehicle to Chrysler for win module recall fix and explained what was happening. They said handling the recall and a new battery should fix the problem. About 2 months later, had the same problem. Chrysler replace win module again and I got Chrysler to replace battery at this time as I explained that the battery was being affected due to the part that was being recalled. All was fine for about a year or so and then started happening again. Brought it back to Chrysler and they said battery had a dead cell. I explained that they had just put the battery in about a year ago and it should be under warranty. They told me, "we don't do warranty replacements on warranty replacements". so, I am just dealing with the battery right now. Most recently, about 3 months ago, dash board warning lights started all coming in at the same time. Then they would all go off and one side of the dash illumination would go out. Next start up, illumination would be fine again. This happened several times over a couple of months. Then, one day while driving, the power steering went out, the traction light came on and the vehicle shut off! was able to put vehicle in neutral and restart. This happened a few times in a month, but was always ok after one restart. Now, it keeps happening and only lasts a few minutes before needing to be restarted again. Afraid that this is going to happen while turning across oncoming traffic or in a situation where we can not pull over to safety and will get rear-ended.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 122018

Town & Country

The van stalls out while driving around 20 to 30 miles per hour.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Nov 292017

Town & Country

Randomly loses power, sometimes a split second, other times a complete shut down and doesn't let key go. Sometimes it causes things to stop working, like cruise control. More often when lights are on and other things used, like A/C or turn signals. Sometimes when only lights are used, and sometimes lights not even on.

- El Mirage, AZ, USA