ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2010 Chrysler Town & Country engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chrysler Town & Country:

2010 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 2 of 11)

Oct 122017

Town & Country

Engine shuts off while in motion in drive mode. This happens at any rate of speed, 70 mph to 10 mph, in good weather conditions, on the highway and local streets, driving straight or turning slightly. The ABS module tested bad 9 months ago and was replaced by auto electric specialists of houston. This did not solve the problem. I have not had the ECM replaced. My Chrysler dealership cannot find the problem and has told me to keep driving and to bring the car in right away if the issue happens again. The car scares me!!! it has shut off three times now in the last year. I wonder if this is the same problem that has now been reported with the 2017 Chrysler pacifica?

- Katy, TX, USA

Aug 012016

Town & Country

On many different occasions, my 2010 Chrysler Town and country will shut off while driving. All of the warning lights illuminate on my dashboard, the power steering shuts off, and the engine shuts off. I must coast to the side of the road, without power steering, and turn the key to the off position. Then, I must restart the vehicle. It always restarts, but this happens about once every 2 weeks. After reading the recall details of the 2017 Chrysler pacificas, the description of the problem matches the problems I am having. My mechanic has inspected my van, but he cannot diagnose any problem unless he, himself, experiences and witnesses the stalling occur. Problem happens while in motion. It has happened slowly in a parking lot, and it has happened at 55 mph on a highway.

- Lockeford, CA, USA

Oct 242017

Town & Country

2010 Town and country engine died when in motion going around 35 mph also died when coming to a stop at stop light. The electronic stability control light went on when engine cut off. Loss of power steering and power brakes. Was able to put it in park and restart.

- Liberty Twp., OH, USA

Oct 022017

Town & Country

Car engine dies making brakes gas pedal and steering go out! car complaints.com has a report on this problem?! directed me to this website. Please help fear for mine and kids safety driving this vehicle under these circumstances! we were driving while this took place.

- Tillamook, OR, USA

Sep 202017

Town & Country

While driving the van it randomly shuts down the engine and it is very difficult to steer. You cannot accelerate out of the path of traffic. This is extremely dangerous!

- Cocoa, FL, USA

Sep 012017

Town & Country

The last two days in a row, my van has shut off while I was in the first 2 minutes of driving it in the morning, going about 25 miles an hour in a residential neighborhood. The first time it happened right after I turned right at a stopped sign. The second time I had just gone over a speed hump (slowly). The engine totally shut down while still in drive. I braked (without power) to a stop, put the van in park, turned the key off, and then restarted the van. No problems after restart. Restarted just fine. But this has happened two days in a row. This seems like it could be extremely dangerous!

- Waterloo, IA, USA

Jan 112016

Town & Country

We've had a sporadic, reoccurring problem where the engine shuts down while driving down the road. The van will lose acceleration, the power steering fails, (at least one time the power brakes failed as well) and the traction control light illuminates. As these happen, you realize that they were caused because the engine has just performed an uncommanded (by the driver) shutdown. Unfortunately, none of these symptoms are necessarily immediately obvious. For instance, when traveling straight (not using power steering), at low speeds (not accelerating), the first indication of failure is that the traction control light has illuminated. The far more concerning issue is when you realize that the engine (and systems) has failed while attempting to turn through an intersection. After the engine fails it will restart immediately. The issue is controlling the vehicle -after losing power steering, the ability to accelerate, traction control, and brakes - through the failure, in traffic, often on contaminated roads (rain, snow, or ice are common fall through early spring where we live) to be able to safely restart the engine. This problem began two years ago. It happened a few times in the winter over a couple week span and then went away. The next fall (8-9) months later it began doing it again. The occurrences this time were more frequent. We were told by the dealership that they were unable to duplicate our failures due to the intermittent nature of the problem. After a several weeks, the failures stopped. Now at the end of summer, it's been probably 9-10 months since the last occurrence, it has started again. Several occurrences in the last week. From what we can remember, the failures occur with the first several minutes of the trip (sometimes more than one within a few minutes) and usually at lower speeds. We can't remember an event above 40 mph.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Aug 022017

Town & Country

Van fails to start or even turn over. Happens without previous warning. When key is turned, only a short crank of the engine occurs and nothing else. Typically lasts between 15 minutes to 2 hours before vehicle will start. This has been happening since vehicle was new. Estimate occurrence between 12-18 times. Win module replaced under warranty and tipm flashed numerous times. Starting to occur more frequently in the past 6 months, approximately once a month. Everything else electrically works in vehicle when this occurs, including power doors, windows, etc. Vehicle is stopped and there is no pattern to length of time sitting, angle parked at, or anything. Has happened in garage, parking lots, and most recently in car wash.

- Platteville, WI, USA

Jul 212017

Town & Country

The engine of my 2010 Chrysler Town and country shut off while traveling on the highway at a speed of approximately 60mph. It has happened two other times at lower speeds while in town. The issue left me and my family in danger of a highway collision. This problem appears to be with the ignition switch spontaneously dropping into accessory mode which matches a recall for the same issue in other Town and country's very close to the date of manufacture of mine. That recall was 14V373. My van was manufactured four months after the recall window relating to the ignition switch issue which subsequently disables the airbags and other safety equipment. The specific part that was the issue in 14V373 and what I believe to be the issue here is the win module.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jun 232017

Town & Country

2010 Chrysler Town & Country completely shuts off while driving, rpms dropped below 1 and power steering completely gone. Took car to my mechanic was told win module, towed car to local Chrysler dealer and paid diagnostic fee after being told that recall had already been completed, only to be told by dealer that fuel pump bad and battery needs to be charged. I am doubting the fuel pump would cause car to completely shut down. This is very unsafe and could have been potentially fatal as I had my young children in the car and was seconds away from heading over a big bridge.

- Cape Canaveral, FL, USA

May 292017

Town & Country

At a slow speed of about 5 to 10 mph, my vehicle would shut off leaving me with no power brakes, power steering, and in the path of cars behind me almost hitting me as well. It always happens when I am turning left or right at a slow speed. I have had the wireless ignition control module, battery, and key fob replaced already by the dealer.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

May 212017

Town & Country

For the past two years, between the miles of 78,000 and 97,000, we have experienced multiple (over 2 dozen) events where the vehicle will lose all power. Most occasions occur as we are coming to a stop or attempting to accelerate from a stop. The dash lights usually, but not always, start to flash just prior to the event occurring. When we lose power, it is a complete loss of power. Even the radio and clock need reset after the incident. The events have happened during all types of weather, when the van is cool or has been driven for hours. Multiple dealerships have worked to fix the issue, but nothing has resolved it. O2 sensors, egr valve, ABS module, a throttle body cleaning, and thermostats have been replaced. Only for the stalling to occur again. The issue has been up to the Chrysler corporate people and a dealer in cleveland actually had van for 3 weeks, but could not fix issue. At this point Chrysler has wiped their hands of the issue. The van is at dealer again now, because it stalled out 4 times last weekend. Of course they find no codes and cannot replicate the stalling so they want to do another throttle body cleaning. They have told to us to get the van towed the next time it stall without turning in back on. Easy for them to say because they are not stalled out in the middle of an intersection at 5:30pm on Thursday or another intersection the Sunday evening of new years day. I am fed up with the vehicle and being told they can do nothing for us. I do not want to put my family in harms way any longer. The shear number of complaints for this issue on these vans is alarming. How can a company continue to put a product out that places people, especially children, in such danger. The only other issue for me is that pricing of other minivans (Toyota & Honda) makes it hard to leave the Chrysler models.

- Bay Village, OH, USA

May 052017

Town & Country

When I begin to drive my vehicle within the first few hundred feet or minute of driving the vehicle will shut off completely. Once the vehicle comes to a complete stop I can restart it after the second attempt. I am usually on a city street but heading towards a major highway (garden state parkway or rt 1 or rt 18). I have invoices however the 3 different service stations they are not able to duplicate at the car dealerships service station. This vehicle shutting off at will has been happening since February 2017. Again it is not consistent, I never know when it will happen. This is a safety issue putting myself and my family at risk.

- Manahawkin, NJ, USA

May 102017

Town & Country

The traction control warning light flashed and then the car completely shuts down while driving. I contacted mopar who says it is not a known issue, but it obviously is. www.carcomplaints.com/Chrysler/town_country/2010/engine/engine_stalls_shuts_down_while_driving.shtml. I believe mopar should investigate recall these vehicles.

- Bethpage, NY, USA

Apr 102017

Town & Country

The vehicle has shut off on us 3 times while driving. All power is lost and we nearly had major accidents in 2 cases. We contacted Chrysler, case #31401025, but they are unwilling to assist. They don't believe killing innocent people is their responsibility. We have had all the recall work done on this vehicle, and they allegedly "fixed" this problem before the third incident this morning. This vehicle is a hazard to my family and to the public and Chrysler is unwilling to do anything about it. I will never feel safe in this vehicle and I want them to pay me to take it off the road. The government also needs to issue another recall.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Nov 282016

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. While driving at various low speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the failure could not be duplicated. The serpentine and tensioner belts were replaced, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system, air bags). The failure mileage was approximately 84,000.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Mar 132017

Town & Country

This vehicle experiences intermittent engine shut off with no warning. There is no indication on the dashboard prior to this happening. The vehicle is always in motion and it seems to happen at slower speeds. It starts up immediately after this happens. This problem is described in safety recall L25. I've contacted Chrysler and they tell me that my vehicle is not part of the recall. I've had it examined by a dealer and they were not able to recreate the problem. This has happened multiple times over the last 6 months. Most recently it happened on 3/13/2017 and 3/12/2017. The vehicle is currently in the dealership's service department. My wife and daughter will not drive the vehicle due to safety concerns.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Mar 062017

Town & Country

My 2010 Town and country shut off while driving without a warning it almost cause me and my kids to be in a accident this morning taking my kids to school please something needs to be done about this problem before someone gets hurt or worse

- Fayettville, TN, USA

Aug 032015

Town & Country

Our 2010 Chrysler T&C stated to have engine stall problems since two years ago. Basically the engine just stopped when driving (the RPM drops to 0). The driver will feel the steering wheel gets heavy and the traction warning light comes on. We did the Chrysler R03 safety recall repair (I..E replace the win module) but it does not help at all. Especially prone to stall in the first 20 minutes of driving when temps was low, and especially when humid. We have had it checked by multiple mechanic shops but no clue was found. Multiple parts have been replaced (crankshaft position sensor, camshaft sensor, and egr valve) but nothing worked. Now for every driving we expect at least 2-3 engine stalls on the road. It is very dangerous!! I see lots of similar complaints online and Chrysler should definitely solve this!

- Hershey, PA, USA

Feb 012017

Town & Country

While driving the car randomly shuts off. The esp light comes on, I loose most steering and brake function. Likely do to the loss of power. The Chrysler dealer can not find the cause. So far, this has happened at low speeds (25mph) and on city streets. This is a new problem that started around 1/15/2017

- Canton, MI, USA