ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

9.1

$440

2. replace win module (3 reports)
  3. new motor (2 reports)
  4. replace TIPM (2 reports)
  5. replace ABS module (1 reports)
  6. replace crankshaft sensor (1 reports)
2010 Chrysler Town & Country engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chrysler Town & Country:

2010 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 022016

Town & Country

Engine stalled while driving 30 to 35 mph down a hill with a loss of steering and brakes. Thank God I was able to slow down safely and no one was ahead of me which could of resulted in a bad accident. We had a WIN part replaced because of a recall on 8/31/2015 that was suppose to prevent this engine stall from happening. Apparently the NEW PART is also defective or that part WAS NOT the problem!!!!!!

Update from Sep 3, 2016: The dealership , Ron Lewis, cannot find anything wrong!!!!! How can I continue to drive the car????

- Marlene W., Cranberry Township, PA, USA

Aug 122016

Town & Country Limited 4.0L

Our new to us van (used) has died 5 times on us while driving and it throws an engine code (input speed sensor) after we get it restarted. I am guessing the code comes up because the vehicle is moving and the engine is not. I have a TIPM patch cable on the way to test if it is the famous fuel pump relay. Very disappointed in this vehicle...

- Bryan F., Roanoke, IN, USA

Aug 012016

Town & Country Touring

I have been having this problem for almost a year now. Took the vehicle back to the dealer in May of this year to fix the recall but the same thing has been happening. The car completely shuts off without warning. When I took the car back to the dealer, they said it is in my head. Instead of transferring my credit from this vehicle to another one, they made me take the van back after saying that it was unsafe to drive. I called Chrysler to let them know of the issue and they said I have to pay for the diagnostic and if the problem is found, they will reimburse me.

Well a couple of days ago the van shut off again without warning while my 5 children were in the van. I had to cut across 3 lanes of traffic to avoid hitting the car in front of me. While doing that, the car that was on my right had to swerve into the grass along the shoulder to avoid me.

Not to mention the bank wants their payment for a vehicle I can not drive. I hope Lucas Chevy in Lumberton NJ, Chrysler, and Santander bank all go under for their shady business practices.

- Tabatha M., mount holly, NJ, USA

Jun 132015

Town & Country Limited 4.0L

I purchased a 2010 T&C in July 2014 and June 2015 the van started to stall while driving. The stalling never occurred on the freeway thankfully, but has occurred a number of times even after the WIN was replaced in September 2015.

- cfrancis, Gahanna, OH, USA

Feb 012015

Town & Country Touring 4.0L V6

It's simple, had recall on the win module done twice, new egr valve, new throttle body. Van still stalls when you let off of the gas pedal and the engines is under min. load. Usually in a turn, loose power steering arm and power brakes, an accident is just waiting to happen, then I will go off. It's been like this for almost a year now, dealer says, good luck.

- Karsten K., Windsor, ON, Canada

Dec 202015

Town & Country Touring 4.0L V6

FIRST STARTED IN DECEMBER AND IT CUT OFF A COUPLE OF TIMES. I THOUGHT THE CAR WAS JUST MISSING OR NEEDED PLUGS OR SOMETHING. THEN IN JANUARY IT HAPPENED MORE OFTEN AND THE CAR CUT OFF AND WOULD NOT START BACK UP. I WAS AT THE MALL AND HAD TO CALL MY HUSBAND AND AFTER ONE HOUR OF WAITING HE FINALLY GOT IT TO START. THEN IT CUT OFF AGAIN A COUPLE DAYS LATER AND I CALLED THE DEALER IN BERLIN. I TOOK IT IN AND THEY SAID THEY DID NOT SEE ANYTHING WRONG BECAUSE MY ENGINE LIGHT WAS NOT ON. SO THEY SAID MY THURDDER WAS CLOGGED AND THEY CLEANED THAT OUT. AND I MAY NEED A NEW BATTERY. THAT COST ME 250.00. THE NEXT WEEK AFTER I GOT MY CAR BACK HOME IT CUT OFF TWICE AND I CALLED THE DEALER BACK AND BY THEN MY ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON. THEY CALLED TO TELL ME I NEEDED A TIPM A NEW BATTERY AND EGR- EXHAUSE RECIRCULATER VALUES NEEDED RELACING. TOTAL $2107.00. YOU CAN IMAGINE MY SHOCK WHEN I HEARD THIS SINCE THEY CLAIMED NOTHING WA WRONG JUST THE WEEK BEFORE. WELL SINCE I DID NOT HAVE THAT MONEY JUST LAYING AROUND THE HOUSE I WENT TO PICK MY CAR UP TON FIGURE WHAT WE WERE DOING NEXT. I CHECKED ON THE COMPUTER TO SEE WHAT KIND OF PART THIS WAS AND TO OUR SURPISE IT WAS A DEDFECT IN THE CHRYSLER MODELS.

I AM REALLY UPSET AND WOUNDER WHY THE COMPANY WOULD WANT TO CHARGE ME FOR SOMETHING THAT IS DEFECTED. DON'T KNOW WHERE TO GO FROM HERE.

- Linda H., Berlin, MD, USA

Jan 082016

Town & Country Limited 3.2L V6

At first, there was no knowledge or communication regard what is now known to be a widespread issue among many 2010 Town and Country owners. Therefore, it took 2 months to finally determine that it was in fact an issue that warranted a federally mandated recall. I received no communication about the issue from either Chrysler or the dealer. I was told that if I did receive such communication it would come in the form of a USPS mailed letter. Really? How can Chrysler prove it arrived at my house? How can I prove I didn't receive it? How about a robocall and/or an email instead? Low and behold, I get the mailed recall notice Friday, Jan. 8, 2016 -- two days after the issue was discovered and resolved by the dealer.

Now for the kudos. A service manager at Royal Gate Automotive Group, Ellisville, MO, by the name of Wendy Jacobson, embodies the very best in customer service and deserves high praise from both the dealer and Chrysler. This woman believed my complaint and completely understood the serious gravity of the issue from a safety perspective (when the engine dies at 70 mph, the power steering goes out and can easily cause a fatal crash). Ms. Jacobson demonstrated an outstanding attention to safety in a business environment that demands cost containment (this issue required dealer/manufacturer-paid resolution). I imagine the parts and labor costs are astronomical and Ms. Jacobson did not hesitate to own the problem on behalf of Chrysler and Royal Gate.

Moreover, she understood the extreme loss of confidence one would have in driving the vehicle until it was certain the problem was completely resolved. She and her team, including a service tech by the name of Marty, were thorough and responsive. They have brought my confidence in the safety of my car. Thank you Royal Gate and Wendy Jacobson.

- eason70, Ballwin, MO, US

Jan 112016

Town & Country LTD V6

Seller :Chrysler / Fort Erie Ontario Canada

I wanted to inform you that a report has been made this morning with Transport Canada file # 2016-0088 And with Chrysler Canada file # 285-47284.

I explained to both above mentioned - of the details of the incidents with the 2010 Town and Country LTD that the power, while driving, shut off and the traction symbol on the dash came on for two seconds on three different occasions over the last eight days. The vehicle suddenly lost power with no steering, brakes or accelerator. The key was in the on position. So not the key turning to off position the cause ! I have nothing on the key but the steel ring It came with.

Yesterday while driving from McMaster hospital with wife and daughter - Drove 1/2 mile from Hospital and it happened / I called immediately and spoke to the dealer manager he suggested to bring it in asap and see if they could diagnose the errors.( They did not charge me to diagnose and they did try and figure out why this happened. ) The test drive by the mechanic the issue did not occur.

I left the dealers shop with a verbal quote to replace the ABS module and with no guarantee of re-occurrence. I felt that risk and danger to my family and others on the road was too high with no guarantee, and this point I have no confidence in the safety. And WOW, the power goes off like ticking time bomb ! No warning and obviously no real fix as I am learning from blogs today, re-occurrences are often !! And no explanation to why the vehicle went into a power off mode.

This is a hazard and after reading today so many same vintage year and model and 100's and possibly 1000's of other owners-- having the same issue. and after $ thousands and thousands of dollars spent to hopefully fix / not one person said it was completely resolved and some said that they had their fingers crossed that the latest fix will work !

How can Chrysler know this and still put out these repetitively flawed - potentially long term injury and or death - for sale and keep charging for repairs that don't work ! This problem is a benefit for the dealers and Manufacture / A Cash cow and potentially a death trap waiting to happen / Don't buy one ! really! DON'T

I called Chrysler Canada and offered to provide them my vehicle - and during my discussion this morning after they basically said they can't do anything for me, I suggested they consider the opportunity to investigate this issue and perhaps they could loan me a vehicle while they pin pointed the reason this occurred and get to the bottom of it! I regret to inform you that they declined.

Plan B / So what can I do? Sell it? Or store it until a real fix or recall comes available. That is not practical.

It would not be fair nor honorable for me sell this vehicle to another unknowing family and the possibility of them getting hurt or worse killed.

These vehicles have repetitive reported and unexpected power shuts down while driving and for no physical reason / like sliding or slipping and what a complete hazard of trying to navigate to a safe location on the side of the road This puts my family and other vehicles and pedestrians at risk. On the HWY rear or side impact is very probable when you have no power and no control. And lets face it most of the people who drive these vehicles are mothers taking kids to where they need to go.

Well FYI - The Report error # suggest that ABS module needs to be replaced which was explained to me controls a lot of functions and functions like a Brain ! The Traction control system is suppose to help you control your vehicle when your slipping on ice or a wet surface. well yesterday the TCS light came on and the road was dry and while traveling 45 -50 KM and in a split second lost power steering , power brakes and no acceleration. There was a utility truck that was stopped in front of me and it took pounding the Brake and pulling hard on the steering wheel to avoid a collision I stepped on the gas pedal and nothing.

I decided that the Brain transplant is not a complete solution but merely it is the recommended repair that hopefully resolves the issue and at my expense and with no guarantee. I am taking the car off the road and storing it for now.

I cannot understand why Chrysler would not be keen to further investigate and continue to let this happen and that really has my attention.

I do truly understand the position of the dealer they didn't build the Chrysler and can not afford to pay for the parts and labor to try and fix this dangerous issue - But they will sell you one.

Actually the staff at this dealer are very good and nice people and said they never heard of this happening before and Ill give them benefit of the doubt- I believe them.

But Chrysler without a doubt has many and many of times heard of this and There is a proven track record of this occurrence and enough is enough !! They had the nerve to say that they were unaware of this incident happening elsewhere. Shame on you Chrysler ! I always buy North American built vehicles.

FYI - Chrysler - said at this point they cannot do anything in efforts to resolve this and therefore I am now forced to take full action and will voice this issue to the fullest extent which will now include legal advice and action.

We took this vehicle to Florida and back a few weeks after and it was a purchased and this a beautiful vehicle and at the time a pleasure to drive. We all loved it and now- how can I take the chance to allow my wife and kids to be in that situation. I hoped for a better outcome. I am very concerned that it will likely take a fatality or a large group of complaints to get to a recall. My only choice left is to put nearly all of my time and my resources to the max and I am going try and reach out to my many contacts and social media / news papers in targeting the Chrysler factory towns both US and Canada.

I can assure that if all the people who experienced this both US and Canada - collectively could drive this issue to a head ! and rest assured this will go viral towards Chrysler and force their hand to do something or even better a strong legal hand and big fines ! My next step is to do my own controlled test and have it on video - when this issue re-occurs I will post it for everyone to see.

Public needs to know of the danger of driving a Chrysler TOWN AND COUNTRY and the manufacture will eventually have to address this safety hazard.

Sincerely

2010 Chrysler Town and Country / Black V-6 / DONT BUY ONE - You and your family lives may be saved if you don't .

Update from Jan 25, 2016: Chrysler Canada said no to any help what so ever. Dealer called and offered to replace the EGR Valve for $ 308 and said if it doesn't fix the issue to bring it back they will refund the money and I can trade in the T&C fro another brand of vehicle with no history of this issue. / So far after half of a week no re - occurrence /Originally they the Computer said the ABS module needed to be replaced. The Mechanic at the dealer looked into further and felt the ERG Valve is what he felt needs to be replaced. NOTE the Van was not running rough at an idle and I also updated my file with Transport Canada. / Another interesting comment from my insurance company about this situation was that if my vehicle was in an accident that was caused by power failure while driving and I that drove the car knowing that - that I may not be covered should the Van power fail while driving and an accident and or death occurred and that I would be the one who is liable.

- crysler, Wainfleet, ON, Canada

Oct 012014

Town & Country Touring 4.0L

Purchased used 2010 Town & Country Minivan in September 2014 with approximately 80,000 miles. Experienced intermittant stalling with and without traction control light at low speeds soon after starting. Happens more often now and I've learned the safest way to resolve issue in the moment is to put van in neutral, restart, and shift back to drive. This is still very dangerous since you do lose power steering and brakes and the stalling dramatically slows down vehicle putting you at risk to be hit from behind. Also, the vehicle had excessive oil consumption with a quart needed every 900 miles or so.

Mechanic stats that there is an internal oil leak causing an imbalance in the motor that can only be fixed with new motor. Extended warranty should cover most cost but will update soon with more details.

I have also been told many less expensive excuses but it is clear to the mechanics what the problem is and they just don't want to replace everyone's motor regardless of the risk. Don't pay out on these supposed solutions. It will not fix problem. Go to an outside mechanic and pay approximate $100 diagnostic charge.

- Angie D., Elgin, IL, USA

Dec 182015

Town & Country Touring 4.0L

The engine stalling problem has been intermittent. On 12/18/2015 the engine stalled a total of 4 times. Prior stalls only occurred once in a while. This problem is very upsetting because Chrysler is unable to duplicate the problem. It is also a safety issue because the whole vehicle shuts down. It does however start right up after I put the transmission in park.

- mdrzew2!, Milwaukee, WI, USA

Dec 032015

Town & Country Limited 4.0L

So we replaced the ABS module back in April b/c that is what the dealership said was the problem. Now they are telling me that it is the EGR valve. Really angry about this issue. This is a safety issue that Chrysler should deal with. Us families buy their products because we are hauling our kids around. Does someone have to die before this gets fixed?

- Shannon C., Somerset, OH, USA

Apr 152015

Town & Country Limited 4.0L

Car would stall while driving. The traction control light would come on then the steering went out and the brakes went out. Once I got pulled off the road I would restart car and it would be fine. The stalling was intermittent with no rhyme or reason to when or why it happened. The Chrysler dealership replaced the ABS module and seemed to fix for six months till it happened again.

Update from Dec 10, 2015: Stalling again at 105000 miles. Now dealership is saying that it is the EGR valve. It seems after reading much on this online that this problem is a real problem that Chrysler has. I have three kids and this is very dangerous for me to have them in the car. Could cause a serious wreck.

- Shannon C., Somerset, OH, USA

Oct 082015

Town & Country

Van died at low speed. Search found TIPM info. Chrysler recalled the Durango and Jeep for TIPM. There were 10 claims / 100K vehicles. Only 0.6 claims / 100K vehicles for the Town and Country. Fuel Pump Relay on the TIPM can cause stall or no start. If you have a stall, report it so Chrysler can see the claims.

- jediengr, Maryville, TN, USA

May 182015

Town & Country Limited

Second time this happened, right after the car had been started, driving in the neighborhood at low speed 5-10 mph. Engine completely shut off, no power steering, etc. Stopped the car, re-started and carried on.

Nov 082015

Town & Country Limited

This is the eighth time this car has stalled while driving. Only this time, rather than happening at low speed, I was going between 30-40 mph. Once I was able to coast to the side of the road, avoid being hit by traffic, I was able to re-start the car and continue driving.

Nov 072015

Town & Country Limited

Seventh time this happened, right after the car had been started, driving in the neighborhood at low speed 5-10 mph. Engine completely shut off, no power steering, etc. Stopped the car, re-started and carried on.

Nov 072015

Town & Country Limited

Sixth time this happened, right after the car had been started, driving in the neighborhood at low speed 5-10 mph. Engine completely shut off, no power steering, etc. Stopped the car, re-started and carried on.

May 052015

Town & Country Limited

First time this happened, right after the car had been started, driving in the neighborhood at low speed 5-10 mph. Engine completely shut off, no power steering, etc. Stopped the car, re-started and carried on.

Aug 092015

Town & Country Limited

Fifth time this happened, right after the car had been started, driving in the neighborhood at low speed 5-10 mph. Engine completely shut off, no power steering, etc. Stopped the car, re-started and carried on.

Jul 182015

Town & Country Limited

Fourth time this happened, right after the car had been started, driving in the neighborhood at low speed 5-10 mph. Engine completely shut off, no power steering, etc. Stopped the car, re-started and carried on.