9.0

2. replace win module (3 reports)
  3. new motor (2 reports)
  4. replace TIPM (2 reports)
  5. replace ABS module (1 reports)
  6. replace crankshaft sensor (1 reports)
2010 Chrysler Town & Country engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chrysler Town & Country:

2010 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Dec 012017

Town & Country 3.8L

I seem to have the same problem as everyone else has. The van stalls while driving 20-25mph. It only happens after leaving my house. I pull over the best I can without power steering or power brakes. The traction light comes on after it stalls. I then shut it off and restart the van. 50% of the time it has a hard time starting back up. It is at the dealership (we have a bumper to bumper lifetime warranty) about 10 days ago. They told me the codes said it is a bad battery. Battery is new from firestone 6 weeks ago. Firestone retested battery 9 days ago and it is good. Dealership refused to test it themselves because it is "aftermarket". I took van back in 4 days ago for them to drive and recreate problem. I haven't heard from them since. This problem needs to be addressed! I drive mine and other children in it!!!

- , Vacaville, CA, US

Sep 122017

Town & Country 4.0L

This is unbelievable! All these people with the same problem but they are being told by Chrysler, "No problem." I wonder how many of them drive this vehicle? I too drive kids around fearing when I will get in an accident. I have others that need to drive this vehicle which include my 16 year old, new driver daughter, and my elderly parents that I do not want to put in jeopardy. My whole family is afraid of it, as they should be.

I have not gone to a mechanic for this yet because like all of you here, I know it will be a run around and they will suck every $$ out of me like the life of the passengers in these vehicles if this issue does not get fixed. We just spent $850.00 for a belt problem that we were told would have blown the whole motor if we didn't take it in when we did. I guess in some way we thought the random engine failures for no apparent reason, would have been resolved with this other fix, but NO.

I will continue to pursue this as some of you stated. Please comment to me if you have any information that I can use to help get resolve. Thank you so much.

- , Channahon, US

May 192016

Town & Country

While driving, the engine will shut down, the indicator light will come on , the first time it happened was May 2016. I was able to get to the side of the road, put in park and the restart the engine. It happened a few other times, more recently it is frequent, I am able to put it in neutral and restart the engine, but it is very hard to steer or stop the vehicle. =Very dangerous, engine light does not come on.

- , Hudson, US

Jun 232017

Town & Country

Car completely shuts off while driving. Nobody has a solution. I took it to my mechanic initially, they believe the issue is with the recall for the WIN Module, look up of VIN shows recall was already completed. Had the car towed to the Boniface Hiers Chrysler dealership only to be told, after a diagnostic fee of $109.00, that I need a fuel pump and my battery needs to be charged. I asked, my car shut down because my fuel pump is bad and my battery needs to be charged? From Friday June 23, 2017 to today June 27, 2017 I have had it at two mechanics and I have had 2 different solutions to my problem. I have a hard time believing that my fuel pump went out causing my car to completely shut down in the middle of driving. I called Chrysler recall assistant and was told they can only go by what their mechanic tells them and basically they didn't care.

This is a very scary problem. I had my 6 and 8 year old in the car with me. Is it going to take someone dying or severely hurt for them to listen and respond with a solution. This seems to be a very common and ongoing problem for this car.

- , Cape Canaveral, FL, US

Feb 212014

Town & Country Limited 4L

This problem occurred first several years ago and then didn't re-occur for a long time. Dealer said that the recall had been fixed when we had the vehicle in for other service.

When confronted about the issue again they treated me like a child as if I knew nothing about vehicles. I will never take it back to the dealership again.

The van still stalls every month or so between the speed of 15 and 45 miles per hour.

- , North Pole, US

Mar 142017

Town & Country Limited 4.0L

Bought car used on Monday. Wife drove it about 30 miles, noticed it surging at low speed. Parked it for about 4 hours. Drove it again for 1 mile. Stopped at a light, turned left and car shut off in middle of intersection. Freaked out as this had never happened to her before. Rush hour traffic.had to sit for a few minutes before car would start again. Started and shut off again. Finally started and got it home. Dealer tried to duplicate but could not. Said they had not heard of this happening. Find hard to believe. Said could not fix without code. Want to return car after reading all the complaints online of same problem.

- , Warner Robins, US

Feb 242017

Town & Country Touring

Van constantly stalls at stop signs and/or traffic lights, I love the van but afraid to drive it right now. It is at the dealership having 2 o2 sensors replaced, but they are having the same stalling issue and are trying to figure it out. I cannot keep bringing it in to be repaired constantly, so far I have had the key fob recall done and an overheating issue repaired. It would be great if I could get some answers on why this is happening or have another part recall done. Sent an email to molar about the problem, have to wait for them to get back to me in about 2 days.

- , Milford, US

Feb 202017

Town & Country

Like so many people have listed the car just shuts down. I bought this in Dec of 2106 as a family car. Due to this safety problem is is not a safe family car now.It's more like a family spare room, comfortable to sit in but not to drive. The car shuts down within a few min's. of starting the first thing in the day. I start it again, let it run and then it runs ok for a day or two. Then it will happen again in a few days.

Contacted Manufacturer and got the same run around that all the rest of you got. Take it to dealer for diag. test...Problem being they are two weeks behind with appointments. Plus I pay for test with NO sure fire answer as to what it may be. My next step is to take it back to salesman....But car was bought off a used lot, and you know what that's like, sorry No Warranties-as is sale...

Update from Jan 16, 2018: Just a side note..on the local news I heard that the manufacturer is doing a recall on 2017 chryslers for this same problem. Is there any new info for the older vehicals, as to what they [the older car ownres] can do???

I'm still haveing issues with this. I wont let my wife drive this car even though I bought it for her use?

- , Fremont, CA, US

Feb 172017

Town & Country Touring

2010 Town and Country - have put thousands of dollars into this car. Brought in to dealer for stalling and subsequent check engine light on. Dealer put in two O2 sensors at a quoted cost of over $500; dealer took for test drive and problem was not fixed - car was still stalling unexpectedly. Dealer then called and said it needed a TPIM module at an estimated cost of over $1,100 - still don't know if it will fix problem.

- , Lincolnton, NC, US

Jan 262017

Town & Country Touring 4.0L

This is the second time this has happened - 1/26/17. It happened two days earlier on 1/24/17. My wife was driving home from work both times and coasting to a stop. The traction control warning light flashed and then she notice she had no power steering or brakes. Then she realized he engine had shut off AGAIN - twice in 3 days. She started it back up and drove home. I called the dealership and she called Chrysler. Chrysler said there were not enough complaints to issue a recall. How many people have to die or be injured for there to be a recall? The dealership didn't know what to tell me. I had just had it in there the day before and they thought they had fixed it. Chrysler needs to own up that this is a defect and find a solution. We will be getting a new vehicle and it will not be a Chrysler if this is not remedied quickly.

- , Wooster, OH, USA

Jan 242017

Town & Country Touring 4.0L

On 1/24/16 my wife was driving home from work. She said the traction control light started flashing and she thought it was odd because it was not snowing or icy. Then she noticed the engine had stopped. She had no power steering or brakes. She coasted off to the side of the road. Luckily, there were no cars coming her way. She called me on my cell and told me what happened. I told her to try and start it to see what happens. It started right back up. Since she was less than a mile away from the dealership I told her to carefully drive there.

The dealership looked at it the next day and said they thought it was because I had just replaced the battery on 1/22/17. They explained the new battery messed something up in the computer so they reset everything. We thought everything was fine but 2 days later it happened again. I found this website and saw there are many issues with this and Chrysler has not fixed or addressed the issue. No one seems to know what it is. Some say the EGR valve, some say a bad battery connection, and some say an issue with the key fob/key ignition. I cannot believe Chrysler has not addressed this serious safety issue!

- , Wooster, OH, USA

Dec 132016

Town & Country LX

Purchased this vehicle new, and gave it to my son to use. It has started to stall out at low speed coast conditions when not completely warmed up. It is a very dangerous condition, however I am leery to take it to the dealership unless there is a well understood fix to the problem.

It is remarkably consistent, at low RPM coast (like slowing as you ease into a stop sign) after a cold start it stalls out. I have to put the hazards on and stop it put it in park and restart.

It has occurred six times and at this point I'm the only one in the family willing to drive this vehicle.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

- , Gates Mills, OH, USA

Dec 312016

Town & Country

I WAS DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD AND THE ENGINE JUST SHUT DOWN ALMOST GOT HIT BY ANOTHER CAR BEHIND. I have had my car service every 3000 miles and checked over since 2012 2h2n I BOUGHT THIA VAN WORKED GOOD TO NOW COULD HAVE BEEN ALOT WORST WITH A ACCIDENT

- , Lemoore, CA, USA

Nov 142016

Town & Country Touring 4.0lV6

I purchased this van almost a month ago and so far this vehicle has died on me 4x. I have three young children under the age of 11 and expecting another one and I am not going to drive this darn thing until something gets done about it. I don't know where to start with this vehicle because one mechanic says this and it will cost this much and then another will say a way different thing. What exactly do I do to fix this problem?

- , Bismarck, ND, USA

Nov 182016

Town & Country Touring 4.0L

A year ago bought a used 2010 Chrysler town and country 4.0 - fully loaded, love this van. However, just recently, the van has experienced a shut down and loss of power. Randomly and without warning! No Brakes, No Steering, No Acceleration - just complete power failure. Which is a HUGE SAFETY CONCERN! This is my wife and childrens transportation most days, not to mention the care she provides for other children during the week. Earlier in 2016 - had the WIN replaced due to a recall. This vehicle has been to the local dealership service department twice now for this problem. Dealership cannot get a code read, they advise should it happen again - leave the van off, have it towed in to have a read on it. Which is fine... as long as you know.... the van isn't involved in a fatal accident due to a random shutdown. on 3 separate occasions, from a stopped position and into acceleration the van will just shut down. Dealership said last time vehicle was in that they found a misfire on the plugs and stated that may be the issue. Well, plugs were replaced and here we are now , yet again, back to the garage for the same problem. As i read thru this site and others like NHTSA, I see there are many people having this issue and with the same solutions. Nothing! Garages cannot isolate the problem or even simulate it and Chrsyler FCA doesn't want to investigate it. What is someone suppose to do ? Garage will tell you .." Well, it could be this, it could be that, all these things will simulate this situation , best we can do is try and replace this or that and hope for the best" , " Should it happen again, bring it in " .. here is my question....... What if there isn't a next time ?

- , Sharpsville, PA, USA

Nov 142016

Town & Country 4.0L

The van has stalled about 4 times now over the last 18 months. It stalls while driving about 30 - 40 mph with no warning or fault codes. It makes for a dangerous situation with all of a sudden no power steering or brakes and you don't even notice until the van fails to accelerate or keep speed. All of the electrical and lights stay on on the dashboard. This has caused a couple near accidents. Internet searches show a lot of complaints for the same problem with no support from Chrysler and multiple trips to the mechanics costing tons of money with usually no results. Possible causes mentioned are EGR Valve, wiring to crank sensor, fuel pump, plug to cam sensor, corroded battery terminals, shorted wire under the dashboard, solder points on the back of the dash instrument panel, PCM, MAP sensor.

- , Duncan, SC, USA

Oct 212016

Town & Country

entire elect system shuts down while driving

Rec'd Recall Notice L25, then Recall Notice R03. Problem did not occur until Oct 2016, so did not contact dealership until then. Dealership changed WIN module. Same afternoon problem reappeared but worse than before. Without warning, while driving, entire electrical system goes down, including emergency flashers. Gear shift won't move, key won't move & can't be removed. At night we have to stand by with hand held flashlights to be visible. Before the installation of the new WIN module, the electrical system shut down but you could shift into neutral to roll to a safe position, then into park, and you could remove the key. The recovery also was about 2-3 minutes before the "fix", but now is 15-20 min. The system returns abruptly and the problem appears to be gone except it can re-occur at any time. Husband & wife both retired, both disabled. Afraid to drive at night but no choice.

- , Coarsegold, CA, USA

Sep 022016

Town & Country

Engine stalled while driving 30 to 35 mph down a hill with a loss of steering and brakes. Thank God I was able to slow down safely and no one was ahead of me which could of resulted in a bad accident. We had a WIN part replaced because of a recall on 8/31/2015 that was suppose to prevent this engine stall from happening. Apparently the NEW PART is also defective or that part WAS NOT the problem!!!!!!

Update from Sep 3, 2016: The dealership , Ron Lewis, cannot find anything wrong!!!!! How can I continue to drive the car????

- , Cranberry Township, PA, USA

Aug 122016

Town & Country Limited 4.0L

Our new to us van (used) has died 5 times on us while driving and it throws an engine code (input speed sensor) after we get it restarted. I am guessing the code comes up because the vehicle is moving and the engine is not. I have a TIPM patch cable on the way to test if it is the famous fuel pump relay. Very disappointed in this vehicle...

- , Roanoke, IN, USA

Aug 012016

Town & Country Touring

I have been having this problem for almost a year now. Took the vehicle back to the dealer in May of this year to fix the recall but the same thing has been happening. The car completely shuts off without warning. When I took the car back to the dealer, they said it is in my head. Instead of transferring my credit from this vehicle to another one, they made me take the van back after saying that it was unsafe to drive. I called Chrysler to let them know of the issue and they said I have to pay for the diagnostic and if the problem is found, they will reimburse me.

Well a couple of days ago the van shut off again without warning while my 5 children were in the van. I had to cut across 3 lanes of traffic to avoid hitting the car in front of me. While doing that, the car that was on my right had to swerve into the grass along the shoulder to avoid me.

Not to mention the bank wants their payment for a vehicle I can not drive. I hope Lucas Chevy in Lumberton NJ, Chrysler, and Santander bank all go under for their shady business practices.

- , mount holly, NJ, USA