7.7

1. replace dashboard (84 reports)
  3. complain, complain, complain at dealer (12 reports)
  4. cover with a dashboard cover (12 reports)
  5. replace dash (10 reports)
  6. get a dashboard from online for 260 + shipping then diy (5 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 2500:

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 8 of 9)

Jul 222009

Ram 2500 2500HD 5.9L

The dash began cracking last summer. It started at the defrost vent and now it has covered the whole dash. I know replacement is the only fix for this but will it happen again. It makes the vehicle looky really trashy. I'm thinking Ford or Chevy for my next pickup.

- , Andrews, TX, USA

Sep 012009

Ram 2500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

My 2003 Ram 2500 was perfect until 2009. It got one little crack in the dash. In one years time it now has at least ten cracks, mostly front to back. I decided to glue the cracks with JB Weld and buy a dash cover. I lifted the cover last week and there are even more cracks and pieces are starting to fall into the chasm. The dashboard is disintegrating. I am appalled that Chrysler won't do anything about this obvious defect. It is quickly becoming a safety hazard. I'll not buy another one unless they fix this one. My truck will be seven years old in July, 2010.

- , Angleton, TX, USA

May 022008

Ram 2500 Diesel

Last Dodge I will ever buy!!!! Can't believe people are still buying them I tell everyone not to buy a dodge pick up. Every plastic part has cracked or broke. Dash is awful!! Hand rails broke off and distribution box for A/C is broke. AND Dodge won't do a damn thing about it! They SUCK!!!!!!

- , Cocoa, FL, USA

Jun 082009

Ram 2500 2500HD 5.7L Lt

After hearing all the complaints regarding cracked dashboards on Dodge Trucks and finding out it was due to faulty material I feel very strongly that Chrysler Corporation should replace them free of charge. If not, I will think twice before buying a Chrysler product in the future.

Note: Before we found out that the problem was widespread and due to faulty material, we had our dashboard repaired and it cost us $366 Canadian. However, the dashboard cracked again in exactly the same place within a couple of weeks and other cracks started to appear.

- , Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Dec 042009

Ram 2500 2500 HD 5.7L Diesel

Filed first complaint w/Dodge. They offered to pay the $200 deduc. and leave me with $400. I thought I was the customer here! Anyways, left numerous messages for someone from Dodge to call back. Never heard a word. Just reopened a new complaint yesterday. Dodge is going to contact the dealer again about at least meeting me in the middle. The lady at Dodge kept trying to convenience me they were doing me a favor by paying the $200. I told her since Dodge knew this was a material defect in the dash, they should be paying the whole thing but that I was willing to pay $300. There was some comment made about how I haven't taken my truck by to the dealer for routine service. HELLO! Why pay out the rear for something we can do ourselves. The truck has been kept undercover, clean and the dash treated since day one. Going down interstate one day and it just cracks. Sucks big time.

- , Jefferson, TX, USA

Mar 052010

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Ctd

I have researched this and it is obviously a big problem. Dodge never planned to fix the problems from the 2nd generation trucks so they used the same cheap garbage to build the dash in the 3rd gen trucks. They should be held liable for this but they want to blame the consumers who put faith in their products.

Dodge has found a way to stick it to us.......yet again.

- , Knoxville, TN, US

Jun 052009

Ram 2500 XLT 5.9L

My dodge is well taken care of, never been abuses, but notices that my dish board crack and when driving would make noise, so I ended up gluing it to gather, because I am in a fix income and can not buy a new one, when I was working I was hoping to buy my last truck after I retried,

- , Stockton, CA, USA

Mar 142010

Ram 2500

My truck is showroom clean and has always been maintained. Sunscreens have always been put up to the windshield to ward off UV and heat. Every effort was made to protect the dash. On 3/21/2010 while I was again cleaning the interior I noticed a crack on top of the dash, located passenger side over the airbag/glove box area. I was shocked! How can this be after so much careful maintenance. Definetly a fawlty product!

- , Keller, VA, USA

Sep 172008

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Diesel

I think it is shame for truck to cost 35000.00 and for the dash to crack and part of it to fall out in few years, WE all know that dodge will not do any thing about it.

- , Dothan, AL, USA

Jun 102009

Ram 2500 SLT V8

WTF.... just got the stupid thing!! I don't have enough time to write how I feel about this, but no wonder Dodge is going under! Goodbye and good riddance!!! Never again.

- , Waco, TX, USA

Feb 012007

Ram 2500 SLT I-6 Diesel

I AM VERY GOOD TO ALL MY VEHICLES AND CRACKED DASHES SUCK, HOW CAN I EVEN CHANGE THIS? HAS ANYONE DONE THE SWAP?? COME ON DODGE YOU ALMOST HAVE A PERFECT TRUCK.

- , Jamestown, CA, USA

Aug 252009

Ram 2500 Laramie 5.7L

Well, Like all the rest of you, I have a 2003 ram 2500 Laramie with a cracked dash.

Today I was sitting in my truck at a stop light when I heard a loud pop. I wasn't sure where it came from until it happened again and I saw my dashboard pop up in front of me. What the Hell is Dodge thinking not recalling this. I worked for GM dealers all my life and had never seen them ignore something so severe. What happens when the cracked dashboard effects the airbag ? This is more than a cosmetic issue, It may also be a safety issue. Dodge had better get off there ass and do something before someone gets hurt.

- , Coral Springs, FL, USA

Jul 012009

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L I6

common problem with third gen. dodge trucks. not just an eye sore it could become projectiles in a crash.

- , Washington, MO, USA

Jul 012009

Ram 2500

How do i fix this problem? Where can I get a new/used replacement dash, and I don't want one of those old lady carpet dash overlays... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Edmonton, KY, USA

Sep 202008

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L

click to see larger images

dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked

I am steaming mad about the dash situation. I keep my truck very clean and under cover most of the time. When I say most of the time, I mean that the only time my truck sits out in the sun is when I'm driving it. I noticed one day after cleaning the truck inside and out that there were some small cracks in the dash. Well after a short time they turned in to huge cracks that can be seen in the photos. I take great pride in owning my Dodge, well I did, and I get it very clean and maintained. After the dash went nuts cracking on me I called the dealer and they told me to call Dodge customer service, which I did. I talked to someone there and they told me to go to the dealer, have them look at the damage, and then to call Dodge back with my reference number. Well I got a call from Dodge and they told me that they were willing to pay 70% of the repair costs. I told the Dodge rep that if they were willing to pay 70% that they knew there was a problem and they needed to pay all of it. This is the very same crappy plastic they used in the late 2nd Gen trucks and it cracks just like those did that they are replacing at no cost to the owner of the vehicle. The rep told me that's all Dodge was willing to pay. I asked to speak to a supervisor and he replied "that won't do any good because I am the highest level person you will be able to speak to". I thought that was kinda crappy. I am censoring what I really said. I thought to myself, Dodge and the other car makers wonder why we all go buy foreign cars now. That is one of the worst customer service attitudes I have seen in a long time. If Dodge does not repair these dashes I WILL NEVER, NEVER, EVER buy another Chrysler product. I will ride a bus before I buy a Chrysler product. Ok I have ranted enough. I think you guys can sense my frustration. I hope we all can ban together and get Dodge to replace what they know is a defective and unsafe part that is in another one of their products.

- , Clearwater, FL, USA

Jun 012005

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L I6

When this happened I was totally blown off my dealership. I was told that it was from neglect. At that time the truck was being shown at car shows a minimum of once a month. I had just taken a best of show not 2 weeks prior to the first crack. I tried several more times over the next 2 years making complaints to both Dodge and my dealership, being told the entire time that it was not their fault and they were not going to do anything about it. I finally gave up until I read about the news reports that were done in Orlando in 2007. So again last year I called Dodge again hoping that they would fix the issue. I was wrong. They stopped returning my calls and emails. Then they told me that because my vehicle was over 80,000 miles there was nothing they were gonna do about it. I recently moved to TN and decided to talk to the local dealership to see if maybe JUST maybe I could get this fixed once and for all. They had me call Chrysler and they set me up to go to the dealership for an evaluation. The dealership came up with a cost of about $2,200 to fix the dash and they want me to pay half of it. I/we shouldn't have to pay anything to fix an issue with something that was defective from the start. However I have agreed to pay $500.00 and they refuse.

Update from Jun 11, 2015: I did not realize when I posted this the first time that I put 38,000 miles. It should have read 36,000 miles. It actually had 36,02x. When I went to the dealership the first time. That dealership went out of business and Chrysler has no records of any of my visits to the dealership.

- , Goodlettsville, TN, USA

Dec 012008

Ram 2500 LAR Hemi

I JUST WANT IT FIXED. I know things happen but when tons of folks have an issue Chrysler should stand behind their product. They give this dashboard business to the lowest bidder an we suffer. If they can not make this right they will lose my wife and I as future customers.

- , Fenton, MO, USA

Feb 292008

Ram 2500

I love my Dodge Ram and plan on it being my last vehicle ever! However, that is if it doesn't fall apart!! Like others, my dashboard crack from windshield to radio. This is embarrassing, annoying and irritating. Like others, I was told "oh they just do that" by my dealership. Dodge big office said take it to another dealership. As extensive as the problem seems to be, I don't think its our (the owner's) problem. Does anyone know where the "complaint" status stands? Is there a chance that the company will do a recall on the defective plastic dash? How do we make this happen?

- , Cleburne, TX, USA

Aug 012004

Ram 2500 HD Diesel

bought the truck because of the Cummins engine; the truck has been great drive train wise, (i am getting 23-25 miles/gallon!); BUT since the second year of ownership, the dashboard has been cracking into pieces which are now starting to break off. a dashboard with a single crack are kind of the norm here in Texas, but i have have never seen a dashboard literally break up into pieces; I even keep the vehicle in a garage and have never used Armoral on it. whats to say the airbag will be exposed?

- , Ft. Worth, TX, USA

Sep 012008

Ram 2500 LST 5.9L, Diesel

We find that this is a real problem, because it's unsightly and a resale problem.

Didn't know that this was a problem until I started looking for a replacement and found AutoBeef. Because of an electrical problem in late 2004 the dashboard had to be removed to replace the complete wiring harness.

- , Ft. Pierce, FL, USA