ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Ram 2500:

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 8 of 11)

Nov 092011

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

As wife was backing into driveway with steering wheel cranked to the left, the outer left tie rod end failed, and sheered off at the pin then lodged between the caliper and wheel breaking the wheel and bending the backing plate. This problem matches exactly an existing recall for newer model Dodge trucks (NHTSA id # 11V350000, action # PE11009). It is scary to think if this had happened at speed, reading that some people have rolled off of the road into ditches and even a river. My vehicle previously was issued a recall for steering and parts were replaced with these defective parts.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Jul 012010

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contact lost control of the steering. The contact was able to stop the vehicle on the shoulder where the vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician advised that the tie rod had fractured and would have to be replaced. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 11V350000 (steering:linkages:tie rod assembly)but was advised by the manufacturer that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000.

- Albrightsville, PA, USA

Oct 272011

Ram 2500

At 70 mph road speed, when encountering a pot hole or bridge expansion joint, the front wheels and steering components begin to shake and wobble violently, nearly jerking the steering wheel out of my hands. Had I not had both hands on the wheel at the time, a loss of vehicle control might have occurred. While braking and trying to maintain control of the vehicle, at approximately 25 mph the violent shaking suddenly stopped. Within 2 miles after resuming a 70 mph speed the same thing happened when crossing the next bridge expansion joint. Again, when slowing to 25 mph, the shaking stopped. I have since checked several sources and found this appears to be a common problem on Ram 2500 diesel powered trucks. Several after market companies are selling products which they claim will prevent this so called "death wobble" after checking with a local Dodge heavy duty truck dealer they claim they are not aware of such a problem ever occurring. I believe that Dodge is aware of this problem, but since no one has been killed or injured yet, they are reluctant to delve into the problem for a solution, or acknowledge that it even exists.

- Seneca, MO, USA

Oct 222011

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

I was turning my Dodge Ram in a parking lot when the steering failed. The tie rod end separated and failed causing the steering to fail. If I would have been traveling at a higher rate of speed I could have been killed. I had absolutely no control of the trucks steering. Dodge would not correct the problem with out charging me for the repair and didn't seem to care that people could be getting killed from the defective parts in their trucks. I called two dealers and the Chrysler care line but only got the run around. I would also like to make note that there are many of these failures occurring when I did a google search I found many complaints on message boards of Dodge truck steering failures. I'm sure some people have not lived through this failure to launch a complaint about it. I would like to note that I repaired the truck myself with a replacement part from Napa. The part cost $103. If I would have taken it to the dealer I would have had to pay over $650 for the parts because Dodge has changed the replacement steering linkage for my truck. I would have had to replace the entire linkage to the 2008.5 linkage. I am sure they did this because they recognized they had a problem. After doing some research on the internet it appears that the 2008.5 linkage may have a higher failure rate than the 2006 linkage I have on my truck. Because of that I choose to keep my original style linkage and just replace the tie rod end. This is a very serious problem that Dodge needs to take responsibility for correcting!

- Elverson, PA, USA

Jul 072011

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

Truck goes into a shimmy and breaks the tie rod ends. Happened three times. Three times in for repair finally drove into canal.

- Cocoa, FL, USA

May 152011

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Front end failure and not just once.I have had it fixed 3 times. There is only 53000 miles on the truck.last time the tie rod broke and the truck ended up half way in a 10ft ditch. The last time a whole new steering linkage and steering box was put on. I have replaced all of the ball joints twice. This is a stock from the dealer 2500 hd truck.

- Dyer, IN, USA

Jul 022011

Ram 2500

After hitting a bump in the road going 70 mph my truck began to shake so violently it ripped the steering wheel from my hand and uncontrollably changed several lanes on I-95 before coming to a stop. I have since had it happen 3 more times at lower speeds around 55-65 mph. I have contacted Dodge with no help, I have read many accounts of others with the same problem dubbed the "death wobble". I have so far changed tires, shocks, steering dampener, and tie rods. It still has the problem and is extremely dangerous I will not let anyone ride in it, this will absolutely get someone killed eventually. Do not buy a Dodge Ram 2500.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Jul 092007

Ram 2500

Violent shaking in front end...otherwise known as the "death wobble." Also has a clunk in steering wheel. Have replaced upper and lower ball joints, tie rods, and track bar. Have replaced tires, balanced, and rotate/balance ever 5000 miles. Issue still keeps occurring. Has occurred with two separate sets of tires(load E and load D)shop now saying to replace steering shaft, steering box, shocks, and steering stabilizer. Shop also says Dodge trucks are their best customers.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jul 012011

Ram 2500

The left tie rod end dropped off my vehicle while backing into my driveway. There have been recalls issued on similar trucks. Dodge offers no help on my vehicle because recalls are VIN specific. To repair the cost was $1062. If Dodge hadn't redesigned the parts, my cost would have been $0 due to the 3 year/36,000 mile "bumper to bumper" warranty we purchased with the truck. (it was a used truck when we purchased it.) why haven't all of these trucks been recalled for this issue? I suppose the fact that there have been no deaths or major property damage will be the reason. This is a major hit to me and my family. We need the truck. We need the $1000 it cost to repair. Dodge says the only way they can help me is if the NHTSA expands the recall. I know that won't happen but would you please think about me and my family's dilemma the next time you issue a non-life threatening recall. I thought recalls were all inclusive. Guess I thought wrong. Thanks for listening.

- Union City, TN, USA

Jul 102011

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated when the left turn signal was activated the right turn signal began to flash. The contact stated when the lights were on the windshield wiper fluid activated. The contact stated the indicator relayed the incorrect information causing the wrong signal to work or potentially cause a crash. The contact stated the entire electrical system on the steering column was faulty. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic who stated the multi-function switch needed to be replaced. The contact did not have the multi-function switch replaced. The failure mileage was 112,000.

- Oakman, AL, USA

Feb 012010

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 mega cab. The contact stated while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would become difficult to control and he would lose control of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on three occasions, where they replaced the pitman arms twice and the steering box. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. The current mileage was 106,794. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 012011

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

I have an 06 Dodge Ram 2500 megacab 4X4 with 55K miles. The night prior to the incident I parked my truck after my commute home on the interstate. The next morning I was departing my residence to pick up commuters and drive to work on the interstate when my D/S tie rod broke as I turned out of the driveway. My rim and brake splash guard wre damaged from the tie rod striking it. Dodge stated there was a tsb correcting steering issues with the vehicle and I could not purchase just the tie rod and I had to purchase the entire steering assembly for over $700 not including labor. It was also recomended the ball joints to be replaced for over $3000. The work has not been completed yet. I will most likely find "quality" aftermarket parts and do the work myself.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Jun 072011

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving approximately 65 mph the vehicle traveled over a bump in the road and began to shake. The contact stopped the vehicle and noticed the front drivers side tie rod was broken. As a result, the front drivers side tire was damaged. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer. The technician stated that the steering system needed to be upgraded to a newly designed system. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Santa Maria, CA, USA

Jun 142010

Ram 2500

First- in June 2010, the driver side tie rod end shaft, which goes into the female portion on the wheel, sheared off catastrophically. This occurred while backing up and aligning the truck to hook up a utility trailer. The truck had approximately 42000 miles. The Dodge dealership replaced the entire tie rod, including all tie rod ends, and shock absorber on the tie rod. Second- on May 13th 2011, the "new" tie rod failed in same location, in nearly the same scenario. While backing out of a parking spot, a loud snap was heard, followed by the tie rod contacting the tire, causing it to blow out, allowing the truck to drop, including trapping the tie rod beneath the front differential. In both cases the male outer driver's side tie rod end "vertical" shaft sheared off flush with the tie rod. In both cases the truck was not carrying any load. The truck is used to tow a 5th wheeler several times a year (5-6 X). The 5th wheeler is 10300# unloaded and approx 12300# fully loaded. In neither case was any symptom noted leading up to this event.

- Greenfield Center, NY, USA

May 112011

Complaint of stiff steering

- Abinddon, MD, USA

Mar 212011

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving approximately 60 mph the steering wheel began shaking erratically. The contact slowed down and was able to safely drive to his residence. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technicians stated the tie rod ends, track bar, pitman arm and damper needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and a complaint was filed. The approximate failure mileage was 48,445.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Aug 012010

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that when whenever the vehicle entered a bridge from the freeway, the vehicle would abnormally wobble and because the contact limited control. He would the decrease the pressure on the accelerator pedal and would have to bring the vehicle to almost to a complete idle in order to regain control. The dealer advised the contact to bring the vehicle in for diagnostic testing and the manufacturer was unaware of the issue. The current mileage was 109,000 and the failure mileage was 90,000.

- Larkstur, CO, USA

Mar 262011

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

2006 Dodge 4X4 quad cab 2500. Today as I turned onto street my tie rod disconnected from the ball and my tire went sideways in the middle of the street. I looked on line and found many others with the same problem. If I was pulling my fifth wheel, which I will be soon, I cannot imagine what the outcome would have been. Poor design. When I phoned big O tire in yuma AZ (928-342-5535) they said this is a common problem. Please put pressure on Dodge for a recall in order to save lives. They know they have a problem.

- Yuma, Arizona, AZ, USA

Jun 212007

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the front end of the vehicle began to wobble abnormally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician made various repairs to the front end of the vehicle but the failure continued to recur intermittently. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Big Bear City, CA, USA

Mar 132011

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

Dodge Ram 2500 "death wobble".

- Antelope, CA, USA