2006 Dodge Ram 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Ram 2500:

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 9 of 11)

Jan 112011

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 megacab 4X4. The contact stated that when driving 40 mph and above over a road bump, the steering wheel and instrument panel would shake violently. The vehicle would have to come to a complete stop before the shaking would subside. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but not repaired. The vehicle was repaired by the contact with a redesign upgraded 2009 part. The contact repaired the tie rod assembly, steering damper and a pitman arm. There were no 2006 parts available to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was contacted who refused to provide any assistance to the contact. The failure mileage was 97,000 the current mileage was 104,000. Updated 03/24/11

- Littleton, CO, USA

Feb 212011

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Dodge 2500 mega cab 4X4 and today I experienced first hand the famous death wobble at 75 mph. I hit a small pothole and the truck started shaking really bad. I slowed and it stopped. I have owned the truck for almost a year.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Dec 202010

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

2006 Dodge death wobble, when at speeds above 40mph, hit a bump and front end goes into a violent shake. Dodge has a service bulletin about this issue but it cost over $2000. There are numerous articles about this situation all over the internet. There needs to be a recall from Dodge before someone is killed.

- Fair Oaks, CA, USA

May 152010

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

My 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 shakes violently when it hits a bump at speeds over 40 mph. This truck has an extended warranty that my dealership will not honor. This "death wobble" condition is documented everywhere on the net. Chrysler has figured out a way to charge $1,000 for the mandatory repair by calling it an "tie rod update" updates are not covered by warranty. I am very disappointed in this crooked practice. This "Dodge death wobble" is a condition that should be a major concern to them. I was charged $100 for them to inspect my truck and tell me that it is a known problem that they stock parts for it. I have not had a crash yet but, can't afford to pay Chrysler anymore money to fix their problems. I will continue to drive this truck in this condition until there is a recall. For the safety of everyone one the road I would think that someone would force this issue. I've seen news stories on this and still nothing has happened.www.wsoctv.com/news/19518416/detail.html.

- Aloha, OR, USA

Dec 302010

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving on the highway at 50mph going around a slight bend to the right when I experienced the Dodge "death wobble." I had to slow down and pull over for it to go away. This is the 3rd time this has happened. All the forums I've checked suggest purchasing after market heavier duty steering components. This doesn't seem reasonable to me considering the cost of the vehicle in the first place. I also go thru ball joints every year and I've never had to change them on any other vehicle I've ever owned.

- Cheshire, MA, USA

Dec 192010

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

1. Dodge Ram "death wobble", truck shakes violently when driving and hitting any pot hole or bump.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jul 152010

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram. The contact was driving approximately 45 mph when the front tire began shaking back and forth violently, causing the contact lose control of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the technician stated that the steering dampener would need to be replaced. In addition, the vehicle was also in need of a front end alignment. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 30,035.

- Deer Park, TX, USA

Oct 282010

Ram 2500

At 70-75 mph when hitting a bump in the road the front of the truck starts to violently shake and pulls you into the other lane or off the road, it does not quit until you come to a complete stop.

- Kent, WA, USA

Oct 082010

Ram 2500

I have a 2006 Dodge cummins with 44000 miles on it with the whole front end is now brand new. The problem with these vehicles is when you hit a bump or pot hole from 50 to 70 mph your truck gets a severe shake in the front end and can make you lose control and kill you or other people. Also known as the death wobble.

- Price , UT, USA

Jul 202006

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that when driving at any time over a bump in the road, the vehicle would wobble and shimmy violently. The contact referred to the problem as the "death wobble". the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealership where a new steering stabilizer was installed. However, the failure continued. The stabilizer was replaced again but the failure continued. The vehicle had not been repaired again at the time of the complaint. The contact called the manufacturer who offered no assistance. The current mileage was approximately 107,000. The failure mileage was approximately 11,000.

- Weatherford, TX, USA

Jan 012007

Ram 2500

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 "death wobble". truck shakes at any speed but worse at higher speed when you hit a bump. It causes to loose control of truck. The truck just shakes violently and must come to a complete stop on highway. Brought back to dealer and was good for about 2 weeks. Has been going on since 1 year old. The truck currently has 50,000 miles on it.

- Franklin, NJ, USA

Aug 212010

Ram 2500 Diesel

2006 Dodge Ram diesel the infamous "death wobble" my personal experience was at just shy of 12000 miles take truck to the dealer nothing wrong that they can see. If it keeps happening bring it back. Approximately 18000 miles still happening cannot find anything wrong with it. I take it back in talk to manager and I tell him that if you hit a bump at 55-60 that the truck violently shakes. They say try wheel bearings. I put 800 in wheel bearings still occurs. I call Chrysler and they lead me on that they might fix it but to take in to the dealer for diag. I take it in and they say put a steering stabilizer on it and they wont participate in that so I put and new steering stabilizer on it and now it happens at 40-45 mph I am in the process of calling them back to let them know that the problem still exists and I am going to emphasize to them again that my wife and 2 yr old daughter are in the current driver and passenger of truck. This problem has caused other damage to the truck that they will not also fix. I told them that I don't want anything then a truck that I can drive on the highway or down any road.

- Shelby Twsp , MI, USA

Aug 202010

Ram 2500

While traveling at highway speeds, hitting a small bump / pothole causes violent shaking of the front end. Shaking stops only after the vehicle is slowed below 25 mph. Keeping control of the vehicle during shaking is very difficult. Have taken the vehicle to three different mechanics & dealer with no problems found.

- Nottingham, MD, USA

Aug 012010

Ram 2500 4WD Diesel

I own an operate a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel pick up truck; it has approximately 52000 miles on it. Many parts of the front end are worn out and need to be replaced. I have experienced what is referred to as "death wobble" where the front end of the truck shakes and vibrates violently and highway speeds after hitting bumps in the road. This condition causes an uncontrolled state of vehicle operation and is very un-safe. I have spent a lot of money replacing poorly designed front end components of this truck and there are still more that need replacement. It has bad track bar bushings, bad tie rod ends, bad ball joints, and had a bad steering box replaced under warranty. Dodge is aware of these problems and is turning their back on it by not issuing a recall. They have already changed the designs and updated the steering linkages on 2008 and newer Dodge trucks. All of the components on the front end that are subject to wear are severely worn and only two tie rod ends have grease fittings. These happen to be the only two parts not worn out. I feel not having serviceable grease points on the parts is causing this premature wear along with the use of sub-standard parts, which are not designed to be used with a heavy duty diesel pick up trucks weight. These issues need to be brought to correction before someone is seriously hurt. I am lucky the times the truck has lost control in a shake that I didn't crash. Please help, I feel with only 52000 miles on a 2006 truck that this catastrophic failure of a "heavy duty" front should not be happening. Someone needs to step in and tell Dodge they messed up.

- Pleasantville, NY, USA

Jun 132010

Ram 2500

Steering death wobble. Every time I drive at speeds near 50 to 60 mph and hit a bump in the road it seems to go crazy. I have been scared to get up the speed. I went and had the tires checked and the steering as well. Nothing wrong. I scared a customer of mine and he will not get in my truck now. There is a problem with this and no one seems to have the answer.

- Tomball, TX, USA

May 012009

Ram 2500

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins turbo diesel. Everything was great with my truck up till about may of 2009. While driving home at about 40 mph, I got the "death wobble" on my truck. Extremely scary when it happens to you. Luckily there were no vehicles behind me. I had to come to almost a complete stop for the death wobble to go away. I thought it was going to be a rare thing to happen, but it pretty much happens every time I drive my truck. All I have to do is go over a couple of small ruts or bumps on the road and the truck will get into the death wobble.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jul 032010

Ram 2500

I own a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 mega cab. Just last week my blinkers started going crazy. I will signal the left blinker and it will signal right and visa versa. This problem happens daily and happens so frequent that I am afraid to drive my truck anywhere. I have not replaced the switch yet. In doing research, it says you must pull the steering wheel to fix the problem. I just thought a wire might be grounding out. I then started to do some research and many many other people are having this issue on their trucks of the same year. I do hope you consider this a recall as it to be a very intense safety issue and I do believe Dodge should fix the problem. Doing research on the problem it does cost a significant amount. If I have to fix a safety issue that is ongoing with a vehicle and Dodge knows about it, it is time for the government to step in and make this corporation fix the safety problem. If they know about the problem and don't fix it, I am sure a lawyer could be contacted to let everyone know about the problem including the ones who won't fix it.

- Cameron, MO, USA

Jun 112010

Ram 2500 4WD

I drive a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 megacab. I purchased the truck brand new in June 2006. As it stands I have around 65,600 miles on the truck. I was driving down the interstate on June 11, 2010 when I hit a bump doing 70 mph. When I hit the bump it felt as if I had a flat or a tire loose, I could barely control the truck and after I slowed to 40 mph I could steer the truck again. I pulled over and checked to make sure no damage was done. This happened several more times during my trip, each time the truck shook violently and I couldn't control it until I slowed down to about 40 mph. The first time that day, I was lucky to be near a Dodge dealer who looked at it and informed it should be safe to drive until I could get to my destination to have it looked it. He informed me of a Chrysler technical service bulletin number 22-005-06 issued on October 6, 2006. I have never seen this document before this day. Took it to a dealership after I got to my destination to check the problem and the same technical safety bulletin from Chrysler was once again shown to me, and I was informed that the problems listed in the bulletin had worn out my ball joints and that was what was causing my issues which have totaled to cost around $3000. We called Chrysler customer service and they have refused to call me back, but they have contacted the dealership to inform them that all this was normal wear and tear and that they would only cover $500 worth of parts. Now if this was normal wear and tear, why wasn't I as a customer ever notified at any time I brought my truck in for service at any of their dealerships of this issue so it could be checked" furthermore, why wasn't anyone notified when this came to light in October 2006" this is in my opinion a safety issue. Had I been pulling a loaded trailer behind this truck (as it's designed to do), who knows what type of accident I would've had?

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

May 302010

Ram 2500 4WD

2006 Dodge Ram tie rod, broke knocking going bad have to replace Dodge will not pay for it although they offer a up grade and have recognized there is a problem. Hope it does not turn into a Toyota type deal and many other I have talked or blogged are having same problem.

- Murray, UT, USA

Mar 122010

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact was driving approximately 5 mph. The steering wheel exhibited a free play of 2 1/2 inches. The vehicle steered straight into one direction. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The failure was contributed to the steering wheel and the service warranty expired. The vehicle was previously repaired under a different owner when the gear box lower plug was replaced. Through observation, the contact discovered that the lower plug was not installed in the gear box from the previous repair. The manufacturer was notified and refused to be financially responsible for the repair. The failure mileage was 49,000. The current mileage was 51,000.

- Roann, IN, USA