ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Ford Escape has an acceptable complaint history so far, with leaking rear window problems showing up as the main concern so far. NHTSA complaint data shows an early pattern of problems with stalling while driving.

Another concern is the 2012 Escape rolled onto its roof during an NHTSA side impact test so it only received a marginal side impact rating ... not good.

7.5

$500

1. remove rust (11 reports)
  3. replace rear quarter panels (7 reports)
  4. replace wheel wells and lift gate (2 reports)
2012 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Escape:

2012 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 092018

Escape XLT 2.5L I4

Noticed body cancer rusting starting at passenger rear wheel well. Took to an auto body shop. He explained that it is a common problem due to use of foam sealants between body panels to deaden noise. The foams holds the water and causes rust cancer like vehicles of the 1970s. It would cost about $4000.00 to repair just one wheel well. The car is only worth about $8k.

While I was on vacation 2000 miles away from New Jersey, I noticed the same problem on 3 other 2012 Ford Escapes that I saw. So this is just a single or local issue. It is bad design and engineering.

- Dwayne G., Millville, NJ, US

Aug 032015

Escape XLT

My 2012 Escape started to rust in 2015. 3 years old and rusting! I owe an astronomical amount on this vehicle yet and it has rust already. This is absolutely ridiculous that that this has not been fixed by Ford yet. I had an estimate done on my vehicle, which is an odd color - lime squeeze (bright green) and ironically enough the owner said "this is the second one in the last few weeks with rust in the same areas - it was the same color as yours." He suspected that the gas tank side is more rusted because a (?)foam cushion needs to be replaced to prevent gas from leaking. Not sure however, the cost to repair all 3 areas (rear wheel wells and back hatch) is $750.

- Renee T., Belleville, US

May 012018

Escape XLT 4

I bought this car used in 2013. It is a 2012. Excessive rusting around wheel wells around rear back tires. I noticed this washing car, excessive brown rusting on bottom of trim and behind it. Its like the inside lip near the tire. You really can't notice it unless you are looking up at tire kinda bent down washing wheels (if that makes sense). I think it is from bad design. I think for a car this age it shouldn't do this. Also, it is on opposite side too, exactly the same location, same problem. I just paid this off.

- Jessie H., Gloucester, VA, US

Feb 012017

Escape XLT 4

Contacted Ford in March of 2017. They denied the claim. Took back to Ford in May of 2018. Rust is real bad now. I talked to customer service before I took it back to dealer. He gave me a line of bull. He told me it is dealer discretion to fix the rust and that is not true Ford denied the claim again.

I have been waiting for a supervisor from customer service to call me back for a month. They never called me. I have been waiting for a service rep to call me for 3 weeks now, they never called. The estimate to fix is $5,100. Car has 51500 miles on it and has been garage kept since new.

I have bought 12 new Ford cars & trucks since 1999 and I will never buy another Ford again. They do not care about the consumer, they won't call you back. They must use cheap steel. They had this problem on 1rst generation Escapes, but they did not fix the problem.

- Mark S., Cincinnati, OH, US

May 282018

Escape LX V6

Ford should be ashamed of this reoccurring issue. I was shocked to learn on this website that all of the 2012 Ford Escapes are having the same issue. My vehicle is finally paid off and it now it's going to rust through. IF Ford was a descent company they should fix their rust issue at no cost to the consumer.

The only reason why I purchased this one was since it was the last of their awesome design. It will be the last Ford that I purchase since I hate the cross-over, mini-van look. Haven't decided which SUV make that I will consider yet but I'm actively looking.

Extremely upset over this!!! I've purchased three brand new Ford Escapes and this one is the most disappointing one (2002, 2005 and 2012).

- Rochelle T., Greendale, WI, US

Jan 022017

Escape Limited V6

I had just finished paying off my Escape (5yrs) when I started to see RUST on the driver's side rear wheel well just below gas cap cover! Furious! Initially, I thought it was an issue of possible leaking of gas when filling up? However, I started to pay attention to other Escapes in parking lots/on the roads and noticed they had the same RUST. Why doesn't Ford take care of this obvious problem? I was looking forward to having this vehicle for years to come but at this rate, doubtful. Our family have always been Ford owners.

I WILL NEVER BUY FORD AGAIN.

- Michelle R., Omaha, NE, US

Jun 012017

Escape Limited V4

When my car was still under warranty, it was not showing signs of rusting in the wheel wells until exactly after 60,000 miles. Now it looks terrible 1 year later. Ford would have covered the cost of the repair if that happened prior to the warranty expiring. I called the Body Shop at a Ford Dealer in Westlake, OH and they mentioned "it is a common problem with that car". Well if it's a common problem, then Ford should step-up and fix the problem! Overall its been a really good car except for this common problem of severe rusting in the wheel wells (rear mostly). My car looks terrible. It's parked in a garage all day/night, both at home and work and I wash/wax it regularly. I think Ford likes to focus all their attention on their trucks and their Mustang but if you look on the road, you do see a lot of the Escapes and they usually have rust!

- Kimberley S., Strongsville, OH, US

Mar 022018

Escape ES V6

Car has rust above rear drivers side tire, rest of car in excellent condition. Contacted Ford, dealer and they are willing to pay $250 towards repair of $2500. In searching history of problem it seems this is a problem on several cars per this website. I have been purchasing cars from this dealer and Ford for over 50 years and just purchased a new 2017 Escape from same dealer Plaza Ford in Maryland. Car is 6 years old and I certainly am not going to invest an additional $2K for a cosmetic issue, even though I will have a rust hole in side of vehicle soon. This does make me believe I should have purchased a Hyundai instead of a Ford in 2017 and in the future.

- Dennis C., Pylesville, US

Feb 012018

Escape Limited 3.2L V6

My car is immaculate. It is always garaged and always washed. I never wanted the red paint to fade. It has approximately 40,000 miles. The other day I noticed the bubbles under the paint above the back driver's side wheel. I know its rust and the rust is going to cause the paint to peel/flake, etc.... This is a ford issue and should be covered by Ford. I purchased this vehicle directly off Tasca Ford's inside showroom.

I have had 2 Ford Escape's in the past and did not have any issues in the past. I purchased my 2005 also brand new and back then where I lived did not have a garage. I did not have this issue at all. This is definitely a defect and Ford should take care of their customers if they want them to return.

- laurie2644, Taunton, US

Sep 012015

Escape Limited 3.2L

First Ford and last Ford, for a vehicle 2012 with less than 55,000 miles that has been maintained, cleaned, in a garage to have this much rust in the rear wheel wells is unacceptable. From what I have been reading, Ford could really care less and is not willing to work with customers on a fix. Well, when sales start to decline and people lose jobs because we are not willing to buy FORDS again, maybe THEN someone with all the big bucks in their pockets at FORD will say, "We should have done something to help our customers with this problem which is clearly a design or product defect" Thanks for nothing FORD. Nothing nice to say. I am old and have had MANY vehicles in my lifetime and not one of them has developed this much rust in the wheel wells. Oh wait, I think the Sante Fe Hyundai was having issues and I believe I have seen a design change on the newer SUV's. Are you hearing what I'm saying Ford? We don't need your defective products. Ok, now i will go take my blood pressure medicine or perhaps call FORD for fun?

- Kathleen S., Blaine, US

Apr 222016

Escape XLT 2.5L, I4

This 2012 Ford Escape XLT is otherwise in great shape. But noticed top of rear wheel wells both rusting through. Bad design as it appears there is a 2nd sheet of sheet metal that runs behind the painted fender metal. Salt water can easily get in between and trapped. Unfortunately we also have a 2011 of the same vehicle with the same problem on both wheel wells. Just called Ford and they can replace the quarter panels at $2,500 a side...so $5,000 for both. I definitely won't be spending that kind of money to fix this thing. These issues have finally gotten me to think about moving to another brand of vehicle as we now run all Fords.

- Brian L., Chaska, MN, US

Sep 192017

Escape Limited 3.0L

Rust bucket Rusted through on tailgate and wheel wells. Took it to body shop 600.00 to fix no guarantees started to rust again in 90 days. Body shop says he has seen this before and Ford probably knows about it Dealer says nothing can be done about it, so does Ford. Guess what, I have been a Ford guy for my last 5 cars. Moving on! My next car will not be Ford. Funny thing dealer owner keeps sending me offers to buy another one, but he will not answer email to his personal email address. So much for their golden service awards. I have talked with a lot of other Ford owners who have the same problem. I hope a class action suite starts. This is outrageous.

Dan P

- Dan P., Walkerton, US

Aug 232014

Escape LX V6

Usually keep my vehicles for 10-15 years. Diligent about upkeep. Found rust forming on bottom back hatch door, cleaned, problem continued. Finally took to Ford, for $500 it was stripped, repainted, said it would probably come back. It has, now I have bubbling and rust on Left wheel well, another trip to get it repaired. In my years of owning vehicles I have NEVER had rust develop on a relatively NEW VEHICLE, in places that it should not be. It seems to me that the rust proofing robot was on a break when my vehicle came down the line. Ford has said that this Ford Line DOES HAVE A RUST PROBLEM. I cannot believe that a company does not track common complaints indicating a system wide problem with either the design of the vehicle or a problem in the manufacture of this line. Does the Ford company care about the quality of their products?????

- Joan F., Medford, US

Oct 122016

Escape LT 3.2L

I have a 2012 ford escape-I am shocked to see all the complaints about the rusting above both back tires on the body of the vehicle. this started last year and I thought it was "normal" until my friend's husband saw it (he is a mechanic at a ford dealership in IL) he suggested I contact ford and I did. they couldn't care less. but-if everyone on this website calls ford directly-they may issue a recall. I am also going to send a letter along with a picture of this issue and print out all the complaints in this website (if possible) and if this doesn't get fixed by ford I will never buy one again. like most of you.

Update from Jan 3, 2018: is anybody interested in doing a class action lawsuit against ford? I think this is our only hope. I have contacted the ford dealership in madison, Ford directly in MI, better business bureau in WI, WI dept of agriculture,trade and consumer protection, and national HWY traffic/safety admin. nobody cares. I don't need any money-I just want them to fix this defective vehicle at no cost to me. Ford dealership quoted me $3,000 per side. Which ford should be paying for.

- Dana D., Waterloo, US

Dec 012016

Escape XLT 3.0L

Purchased this car a couple years ago with less than 50k miles on it. This vehicle is garaged and taken care of, ie washed regularly, especially in the winter in MN. And the rear wheel wells as everyone else is also complaining about already is rusting.

This is ridiculous, I have never had a vehicle rust so quickly.

- Tina R., Cannon Falls, MN, US

Mar 012016

Escape V6

Rust and paint bubbling in the rear driver wheel well.

- Nancy B., Grandville, MI, US

Jun 112014

Escape LX 3.2L V6

click to see larger images

excessive rusting

Rust in the rear quarter panels both sides. Ford has had this problem for years and will not take responsibility for producing a poorly manufactured car. They either screwed up on the primer paint or the final paint process. They need to take responsibility and fix this problem at no cost to the user.

- Al R., Milwaukee, WI, US

Sep 012016

Escape Limited

I noticed this week that the paint is chipping off on the wheel wells in the back wheels. Rust is forming as well. This is ridiculous since I am just finishing paying for it and they can't make a car that won't rust for 5 years. No accidents, no excessive moisture. This occurred where the body is built to bend around the wheel well.

- John W., Medford, MA, US

Jan 052017

Escape 4

They never prep the metal for paint at all the seals at back doors tailgate wheel wells are all of a sudden rusting dealer says what do expect it is 5 years old are kidding me

- Anthony C., Toledo, US

Nov 072016

Escape XL V6

So glad I found this website. I have a 2012 Ford Escape and the paint is bubbling and starting to rust on the driver's side rear wheel well. In a year it's going to be rusted through. I've read other's complaints about how Ford will NOT step up to take care of this and I'm just astounded! I didn't buy a brand new car to have it start rusting out in 4 years! I bought it to drive it until it drops and had hoped that would be 12 years from now. It has been well taken care of -- garaged at night and underground parking during the day while I'm at work. Super pissed and will NEVER buy another Ford again! And even more bothersome, if I go to trade it in or sell it outright, they will see the bubbling paint and rust and knock money off of it. JUST RIDICULOUS!

- Yvonne G., Indianapolis, IN, USA