ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Ford Escape has been in the news quite a bit and for all the wrong reasons. Within a few months of its release the SUV was recalled three times, twice because of engine fires.

In July 2012, due to a fuel line that could split and leak, Ford told owners to park their cars because even driving to the dealership for repairs was deemed too dangerous. Instead, in a somewhat unprecedented move, Ford sent tow trucks to pick up the affected vehicles and handed out rental cars while the owners waited for repairs.

A few months later the Escape was recalled again because antifreeze could leak out onto the engine due to a freeze plug becoming dislodged. As the coolant hit the hot engine there was, once again, a threat for fire.

The 2013 is the first model year of the Escape's 3rd generation and proves once again that you want to avoid the first model year when at all possible.

2013 Ford Escape wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Escape:

2013 Ford Escape Owner Comments

May 122018

Escape

Swollen lung but issues. Have already had to replace some, now we are having to replace more!

- Avon Lake, OH, USA

Feb 062018

Escape

My car was recently inspected and it required all new lug nuts go get the tires off to check the brakes. I have never heard of lug nuts rusting and having to be replaced. I have found out that several Ford have had to have them replaced. I had a flat tire last fall. When aaa came, they could not get the lug nuts off the wheel. They had to pound it off so I could get a tire on it. This does not sound fair to have to pay $133 for 20 new lug nuts - it sounds like a defect.

- Oakmont, PA, USA

Feb 022018

Escape

We had a flat tire however when going to change it the lug wrench that was supplied with the car would not fit on the lig nuts. Called the dealership and they told us it was a 19mm which we purchased and theat didn┐T work. We then purchased a 3/4┐ socket which wouldn┐T work either and had to be driven on with a hammer to turn the lugs and it deformed the ligs to a poibt they will have to be replaced. My 20 year old daughter was put in a position where she couldn┐T make a simple tire chamge with her boyfriends help. I spend money and several hours (3 plus roadside assistance who could not get the lug nuts loose. My daughter was put in danger by poorly designed equipment and I have spent $50 and several hours on a problem that should ahve taken 20 minutes had the equipment and lug nuts had been properly designed. I know that this problem exists on several Ford vehicles and should be adressed by the manufacturer with lug nuts made of an appropriate alloy, and a lug wrench that will actually remove the nits in an emergency. If something had happened to my daughter because she was exposed for longer than shpuld be rewuired Ford would have had a lawsuit in about ten minutes...

- Hoover, AL, USA

Nov 142016

Escape

Can not change tire! lug wrench provided will not work or would any other socket or tool I have? Ford told me this is my problem( they call lug "swelling"). service manual does not have to replace lugs as part of routeine maintance??

- Casar, NC, USA

Jan 152015

Escape 4-cyl

My Ford Escape 2013 sel came with lugnuts that have metal cups and these expended causing issues when trying to take them off. No one was able to find a socket that would fit the now bigger lugnuts. I had to take the car to the mechanics to get all the original bad lugnuts off and replaced them with all new ones. These type of lugnuts should be labeled as defective and be recalled. I had to spend about $300 to take them off and have them all replaced. Ford will not pay for any of this unless there is a recall.

- First Washongton, MD, USA

Nov 182013

Escape 4-cyl

My 16 year old daughter was driving at approximately 25 mph on residential street having just complete a left turn when her front left front tire blew out causing her to lose control of he car and hit the curb. The collision with the curb resulted in damage to the front left rim.the treads on tires appeared to be in good shape the car had only 28,856 miles on it and the vehicle was only a year old. We placed all the tires after reading similar stories about Continental tires on the internet. I have been driving for 32 years and have very experienced anything close to this on relatively new car/ tires.

- St Charles, IL, USA

Feb 272013

Escape

Very disappointed by the design. Wheel well are extremely difficult to remove ice and slush they are too small and can't remove debris. Wipers in the front is not the greatest. Loses contact on windshield have a heard time seeing where I am going. Terrible wipers when purchased new wipers required. Engine having really odd noise and sluggish. I supposed they replaced the injectors. Had some torque but sounds like timing chain loose or lifters issue. Seats are not comfortable in the rear. Not enough cushion. Windows barely went up and down. Lots of give... too much replaced front window motors.

- Camden, AR, USA

Oct 142012

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The tires on the vehicle were Continental con tip small ro contact, size 235/15/R17. The contact stated while driving at slow speeds the vehicle would hydro plane in rainy weather conditions. The failure occurred twice since the vehicle was purchased. The dealer was contacted and advised him to contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer was notified and a complaint was filed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was approximately 5,500.

- Clarendon, PA, USA

Aug 152012

Escape

Warning light failed to go on for a flat tire. Light went on when tire was removed. After temporary tire was put on 3 different lights kept flashing on and off when driven.

- Lindstrom, MN, USA