2014 Ford Escape transmission problems: stopped working

Stopped Working

2014 Ford Escape (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The top problem trend for the 2014 Escape is transmission failure at around 70k miles.

This is relatively low mileage for an expensive transmission failure ($4,500 average to fix), but unless the trend becomes more established, we are only awarding the 2014 Escape our "Beware of the Clunker" badge for now.

9.0

$4,390

1. replace transmission (21 reports)
  3. replace with rebuilt trans (6 reports)
  4. rebuild transmission (3 reports)
  5. replaced axle shaft bushing and seal (1 reports)
2014 Ford Escape transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Escape:

2014 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 032018

Escape SE

This car is literally the worst. This is just another ongoing problem with the Ford Escape. The transmission completely went out on this car, an it was unable to be fixed and required a whole new transmission. Nothing on this vehicle was built to last. There is absolutely no reason a car should need a new transmission this soon.

- Katherine F., Tulare, CA, US

Aug 172019

Escape SE 1.6L

I am very disappoint. My transmission went out with no warning. It just stop on me in the middle of traffic. I used Triple A, to have the car towed to a Ford Dealership. Of course, I choose the one with no loaner cars, another reason to not go Ford again.

This is August 2019 and December 2019 is my six year mark of owning the car, so technically, it has not been 6 years for something major to happen with a car you bought brand new, and only allowed the dealership access to under the hood for quarterly oil changes. The car did not out live the payments. What is wrong with this picture. I thought Ford improved and over came their bad reputation (F)fix (O) or (R)repair (D) daily. Anybody know of a class action suit on Ford Escape Transmission that I can join?

- stephaniejay10, Louisville, US

Jul 202019

Escape ES

• CVT transmission

As others have stated, it certainly seems like this should be a Ford "recall" item by now. My car's transmission failed just as I was heading home from a night-time music gig, so I had equipment in the vehicle, and I barely made it home, as it constantly petered out, then sputtered and sort of lunged forward, etc. I bought the car just 2 years ago, and it has performed very well until now, when the tranny suddenly crapped out. Unbelievable at this mileage. And knowing now that it is a common problem with these CVTs, I am outraged. I bought a re-manufactured CVT, which comes with a 3yr/100k mileage warranty. But the cost was ridiculous. Intend to drive it a couple of more years, then sell it. This is utterly ridiculous, and speaks very poorly of Ford.

- Dan W., Alamo, US

Jul 032019

Escape

We purchased a 2014 Ford Escape for our 19-year old daughter from a BMW dealership in April of 2019. The car looked almost brand new and the dealership said that it was fully inspected. She only drove it for a month when the transmission completely went out while she was driving on the freeway. It scared her to death! She was driving from Austin to Dallas and got stranded in the middle of nowhere near Fort-Worth. A mechanic came to her rescue and told her that the transmission needed to be replaced. We had to tow the car back to Austin and took it to a reputable mechanic who said the same thing. We needed to pay $4,900 to get it fixed! From reading these posts, this seems to be happening to many other people on this website.

- Maria V., Austin, TX, US

May 222019

Escape

There should be a recall on the transmission for the Ford Escape, to stop working at 77,000 miles is ridiculous.

- Angela W., East Lyme, CT, US

Nov 182018

Escape SE 1.6L

I would have never bought this car. Had my car for 8 months before transmission quit. My car started sticking in one gear on the freeway, i couldn't accelerate had to pull over on side of road, turn the car off start it up and it will go a little further then stop. It started making loud noises and had a burning smell. I had to take out a second loan to pay for the repair and was in the shop for 2 weeks paid for rental car.

I called ford and they said they are not aware of any transmission problems. Shops i called said they had no transmissions available because they have had more Ford Escapes with the same issue. The part is the 6th gear sticks in the Ecoboost vehicles. Ford is aware of the flawed part and won't do anything about it.

- Dawn L., West Saint Paul, US

Nov 212018

Escape

First of all, I had the car towed to my local ford dealership who could not find any problems are thought it may be my SPARK PLUGS!! Changed them and sent me on my way with a $240 bill! Got 5 miles down the road and my car stopped running! TOWED again!!! Then they decided I need a whole new transmission for over $5k. Towed it to another place and they discover that the torque converter failed and my transmission needs rebuilt. No reason that should have happened with 113000 miles on a great condition, well cared for car!!

- Michelle E., Powell, OH, US

Jan 052019

Escape SE 1.6L

2014 Ford Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost - Bought this car cash. Just hit 90,000 miles on the car. Transmission failed. There were no warnings lights. Still are no warning lights. There is no reason for my transmission to go out. I treated this car so well so there's no reason this should happen to me. I'm going to Ford and taking all these complaints with me to see what I can do.

Update from Mar 19, 2019: So turns out it was the torque converter. Took it to a local transmission shop in Phoenix, AZ. Still don’t know why it went out but it ended up costing me $3,100. I paid it, had it fixed, and moved on. Still mad tho.

- swuollet, Phoenix, US

Jan 092019

Escape SE

I bought the car with roughly 30,000 miles on it. I complied with all the recall notices when it was under warranty this included the replacement of the Torque Converter. Fast forward to January 2019 the transmission completely failed. I had to nurse it all the way home at 2 AM 15 miles away. The saving grace was the fail safe having the engine lose power so you wouldn't blow the engine. It was stop and restart all the way home. This is the beginning of the nightmare with trying to get this issue resolved.

I was told by multiple technicians that there is no fix, no rebuild for this transmission. This vehicle had two models manufactured for 2014 and unfortunately I purchased the one with the transmission issues. The second model had a different transmission put into it and that transmission could not be used in my vehicle. The technician conducted a search for that transmission and one could not be located. I am looking at a $4,700 (used) or $6,000 (new) directly from Ford.

I contacted Ford and I was told that there was not a program for a replacement but keep looking for notices. Just a nice way of saying that you are SOL!! I've even called my insurance company to try to get it totaled since repair is virtually impossible. The chances of them helping me are slim but it was worth a shot. I still owe 14,000 on this vehicle and I can drive it!!!

Ford needs to man up and correct this problem.

- Eric B., Nevada, IA, US

Feb 022019

Escape ES 1.6L Inline 4

Absolutely ridiculous to have to replace the transmission at 75000 miles. By far this is the most common issue with this car looking at the complaints. There is a pattern, once the car hits around 70k-80k miles the transmission goes out. THIS SHOULD BE A RECALL...

- George K., Folsom, US

Dec 192018

Escape Titanium 1.6L

Bought the car with 70k miles, take great care of it. Hard shifting, weird shutters, finally started making the classic transmission whine and would idle up to 4k rpm and wouldn’t go anywhere. Had to have it rebuilt.

- Meredith L., Smyrna, GA, US

Jan 122019

Escape

I am so furious to see this is such a big problem and Ford is not addressing it. My 2014 Ford Escape has 74,000 miles. I was pulling out at an intersection and all of the sudden the RPMS went up but the car was not moving. I did not have any prior issues before this at all. There was no warning light either. After looking around I found that this is a known issue!!

- Kristie S., Lanesville, US

Dec 282018

Escape SE

I was driving on the highway when all of a sudden my car would not accelerate. I struggled to get it off to the shoulder. I never had a check engine light or any kind of notification that my transmission was having issues. It had been running fine. I had it towed to a Ford dealership where they want $5500 to fix it!! This car is 4 years old! How does it need a new transmission already? Apparently this is a HUGE issue and Ford needs to do a recall!

- Bobbi B., Seatac, WA, US

Nov 162018

Escape

Transmission went out with no warning, no light indicator. Dealer wanted to charge over $6000 to fix. Car is out of warranty so it's out of my pocket. I find it unacceptable that there are so many issues reporting this same problem and Ford doesn't do anything about it. I was in the middle of an intersection when it went out. I could have been hit. I bought a Ford because it's American made and they didn't take a buy out like the other US auto makers.

- Eva M., Grand Haven, MI, US

Oct 032018

Escape Titanium 1.6L

3rd Ford in a row that we have bought that ended in complete transmission failure before 100k miles. Instead of recalling, Ford likes to just re-do their rebuild kits to address the flaws in their original design. So pay another 3k to get the car you still owe 15k on back on the road. I will never purchase another Ford again. The dealers will try to sell you every possible thing they can. I took the escape in to the shop and told them the trans is fried, they then tried to charge me $100 in diag fees and shop supplies to tell me that the trans is fried. Yeah, I TOLD YOU IT WAS FRIED!! Ford wont get another penny out of us!

- B D., Huntsville, US

Aug 132018

Escape SE 1.6L

After my transmission failed at 64,070 miles and was replaced with a new ford transmission I was furious, but I thought I wouldn’t have to deal with it again..... I was so wrong... I didn’t even make it 200 miles on the new transmission before it started making a loud whining sound when driving over 20 mph. I drove back to have the car looked at. I thought it was probably something small since it felt like it was driving okay, but I was wrong I just got a call back and was told the transmission needs a rebuild.... I should not be replacing my transmission more than I change my oil! This is crazy! Ford needs to do something about this!

- Kevin D., Centereach, NY, US

Aug 092018

Escape

Second owner on a fantastically kept car. Stay at home mom here, who barely goes anywhere! I've had it for 8 months now and have only put on about 5k miles. Had a 6 hour drive for funeral and now a $5,200 bill to install a new transmission! Ford, do something! No way should a transmission be dying this young. Love this car, but cannot believe I paid $10.5k for it, just to have it cost me HALF that to fix just 8 months later!!!

- Josie G., Owatonna, MN, US

Jul 162018

Escape SE 1.6L

click to see larger images

stopped working

I will never buy a Ford again! This has been the worst car I have ever owned! It got stuck in the middle of the road with a bad transmission 15 miles after the transmission was serviced. Stay far away from Fords!

- Kevin D., Centereach, NY, US

Apr 282018

Escape LE 1.6L 4 cyl

Well, here I am again. It's not even been six months since I had my transmission rebuilt. It's doing it again, tachometer going up speedometer going down. This car is a piece of crap. I have took care of this car, all of the oil changes( $100 a pop), new rotors,new brakes, new tires, new air filter. I shouldn't have to replace this transmission again, I shouldn't have to fix it to begin with. It was a new car and this is why I bought a new car. This is bull crap. I have another Ford Escape and it's a 2005 model with 190000 miles on it, and guess what, it's transmission never messed up. It's still running and will actually do what I tell it to do. Someone needs to do something about this. Ford needs to step up and acknowledge the fact that this is a defect and issue a recall before someone gets hurts or looses a life over their faulty transmission. Step up.

- Cindy R., Abingdon, VA, US

Jul 202018

Escape SE 1.6L

This car is only 4 years old! I can't believe I have to replace the transmission. After reading the other complaints, Ford needs to issue a recall on these transmissions and replace them for free. I'm still making payments on my car. Now I have a $5,000 loan to replace the transmission. I was driving home from work and without warning the "Transmission Fault' light came on and the car wouldn't move. I am waiting for Ford to complete the repairs. They better have at least a 3 year warranty on the new transmission. I searched on line for contact information for Ford. All I found was a mailing address. It said you must contact them in writing. Does anyone know of a phone number to call?

- Susan F., Ragland, AL, US