2014 Ford Escape transmission problems: stopped working

Stopped Working

2014 Ford Escape (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The top problem trend for the 2014 Escape is transmission failure at around 70k miles.

This is relatively low mileage for an expensive transmission failure ($4,500 average to fix), but unless the trend becomes more established, we are only awarding the 2014 Escape our "Beware of the Clunker" badge for now.

9.1

$4,270

1. replace transmission (16 reports)
  3. replace with rebuilt trans (6 reports)
  4. rebuild transmission (3 reports)
  5. replaced axle shaft bushing and seal (1 reports)
2014 Ford Escape transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Escape:

2014 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 182018

Escape SE 1.6L

I would have never bought this car. Had my car for 8 months before transmission quit. My car started sticking in one gear on the freeway, i couldn't accelerate had to pull over on side of road, turn the car off start it up and it will go a little further then stop. It started making loud noises and had a burning smell. I had to take out a second loan to pay for the repair and was in the shop for 2 weeks paid for rental car.

I called ford and they said they are not aware of any transmission problems. Shops i called said they had no transmissions available because they have had more Ford Escapes with the same issue. The part is the 6th gear sticks in the Ecoboost vehicles. Ford is aware of the flawed part and won't do anything about it.

- Dawn L., West Saint Paul, US

Nov 212018

Escape

First of all, I had the car towed to my local ford dealership who could not find any problems are thought it may be my SPARK PLUGS!! Changed them and sent me on my way with a $240 bill! Got 5 miles down the road and my car stopped running! TOWED again!!! Then they decided I need a whole new transmission for over $5k. Towed it to another place and they discover that the torque converter failed and my transmission needs rebuilt. No reason that should have happened with 113000 miles on a great condition, well cared for car!!

- Michelle E., Powell, OH, US

Jan 052019

Escape SE 1.6L

2014 Ford Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost - Bought this car cash. Just hit 90,000 miles on the car. Transmission failed. There were no warnings lights. Still are no warning lights. There is no reason for my transmission to go out. I treated this car so well so there's no reason this should happen to me. I'm going to Ford and taking all these complaints with me to see what I can do.

Update from Mar 19, 2019: So turns out it was the torque converter. Took it to a local transmission shop in Phoenix, AZ. Still don’t know why it went out but it ended up costing me $3,100. I paid it, had it fixed, and moved on. Still mad tho.

- swuollet, Phoenix, US

Jan 092019

Escape SE

I bought the car with roughly 30,000 miles on it. I complied with all the recall notices when it was under warranty this included the replacement of the Torque Converter. Fast forward to January 2019 the transmission completely failed. I had to nurse it all the way home at 2 AM 15 miles away. The saving grace was the fail safe having the engine lose power so you wouldn't blow the engine. It was stop and restart all the way home. This is the beginning of the nightmare with trying to get this issue resolved.

I was told by multiple technicians that there is no fix, no rebuild for this transmission. This vehicle had two models manufactured for 2014 and unfortunately I purchased the one with the transmission issues. The second model had a different transmission put into it and that transmission could not be used in my vehicle. The technician conducted a search for that transmission and one could not be located. I am looking at a $4,700 (used) or $6,000 (new) directly from Ford.

I contacted Ford and I was told that there was not a program for a replacement but keep looking for notices. Just a nice way of saying that you are SOL!! I've even called my insurance company to try to get it totaled since repair is virtually impossible. The chances of them helping me are slim but it was worth a shot. I still owe 14,000 on this vehicle and I can drive it!!!

Ford needs to man up and correct this problem.

- Eric B., Nevada, IA, US

Feb 022019

Escape ES 1.6L Inline 4

Absolutely ridiculous to have to replace the transmission at 75000 miles. By far this is the most common issue with this car looking at the complaints. There is a pattern, once the car hits around 70k-80k miles the transmission goes out. THIS SHOULD BE A RECALL...

- George K., Folsom, US

Dec 192018

Escape Titanium 1.6L

Bought the car with 70k miles, take great care of it. Hard shifting, weird shutters, finally started making the classic transmission whine and would idle up to 4k rpm and wouldn’t go anywhere. Had to have it rebuilt.

- Meredith L., Smyrna, GA, US

Jan 122019

Escape

I am so furious to see this is such a big problem and Ford is not addressing it. My 2014 Ford Escape has 74,000 miles. I was pulling out at an intersection and all of the sudden the RPMS went up but the car was not moving. I did not have any prior issues before this at all. There was no warning light either. After looking around I found that this is a known issue!!

- Kristie S., Lanesville, US

Dec 282018

Escape SE

I was driving on the highway when all of a sudden my car would not accelerate. I struggled to get it off to the shoulder. I never had a check engine light or any kind of notification that my transmission was having issues. It had been running fine. I had it towed to a Ford dealership where they want $5500 to fix it!! This car is 4 years old! How does it need a new transmission already? Apparently this is a HUGE issue and Ford needs to do a recall!

- Bobbi B., Seatac, WA, US

Nov 162018

Escape

Transmission went out with no warning, no light indicator. Dealer wanted to charge over $6000 to fix. Car is out of warranty so it's out of my pocket. I find it unacceptable that there are so many issues reporting this same problem and Ford doesn't do anything about it. I was in the middle of an intersection when it went out. I could have been hit. I bought a Ford because it's American made and they didn't take a buy out like the other US auto makers.

- Eva M., Grand Haven, MI, US

Oct 032018

Escape Titanium 1.6L

3rd Ford in a row that we have bought that ended in complete transmission failure before 100k miles. Instead of recalling, Ford likes to just re-do their rebuild kits to address the flaws in their original design. So pay another 3k to get the car you still owe 15k on back on the road. I will never purchase another Ford again. The dealers will try to sell you every possible thing they can. I took the escape in to the shop and told them the trans is fried, they then tried to charge me $100 in diag fees and shop supplies to tell me that the trans is fried. Yeah, I TOLD YOU IT WAS FRIED!! Ford wont get another penny out of us!

- B D., Huntsville, US

Aug 132018

Escape SE 1.6L

After my transmission failed at 64,070 miles and was replaced with a new ford transmission I was furious, but I thought I wouldn’t have to deal with it again..... I was so wrong... I didn’t even make it 200 miles on the new transmission before it started making a loud whining sound when driving over 20 mph. I drove back to have the car looked at. I thought it was probably something small since it felt like it was driving okay, but I was wrong I just got a call back and was told the transmission needs a rebuild.... I should not be replacing my transmission more than I change my oil! This is crazy! Ford needs to do something about this!

- Kevin D., Centereach, NY, US

Aug 092018

Escape

Second owner on a fantastically kept car. Stay at home mom here, who barely goes anywhere! I've had it for 8 months now and have only put on about 5k miles. Had a 6 hour drive for funeral and now a $5,200 bill to install a new transmission! Ford, do something! No way should a transmission be dying this young. Love this car, but cannot believe I paid $10.5k for it, just to have it cost me HALF that to fix just 8 months later!!!

- Josie G., Owatonna, MN, US

Jul 162018

Escape SE 1.6L

click to see larger images

stopped working

I will never buy a Ford again! This has been the worst car I have ever owned! It got stuck in the middle of the road with a bad transmission 15 miles after the transmission was serviced. Stay far away from Fords!

- Kevin D., Centereach, NY, US

Apr 282018

Escape LE 1.6L 4 cyl

Well, here I am again. It's not even been six months since I had my transmission rebuilt. It's doing it again, tachometer going up speedometer going down. This car is a piece of crap. I have took care of this car, all of the oil changes( $100 a pop), new rotors,new brakes, new tires, new air filter. I shouldn't have to replace this transmission again, I shouldn't have to fix it to begin with. It was a new car and this is why I bought a new car. This is bull crap. I have another Ford Escape and it's a 2005 model with 190000 miles on it, and guess what, it's transmission never messed up. It's still running and will actually do what I tell it to do. Someone needs to do something about this. Ford needs to step up and acknowledge the fact that this is a defect and issue a recall before someone gets hurts or looses a life over their faulty transmission. Step up.

- Cindy R., Abingdon, VA, US

Jul 202018

Escape SE 1.6L

This car is only 4 years old! I can't believe I have to replace the transmission. After reading the other complaints, Ford needs to issue a recall on these transmissions and replace them for free. I'm still making payments on my car. Now I have a $5,000 loan to replace the transmission. I was driving home from work and without warning the "Transmission Fault' light came on and the car wouldn't move. I am waiting for Ford to complete the repairs. They better have at least a 3 year warranty on the new transmission. I searched on line for contact information for Ford. All I found was a mailing address. It said you must contact them in writing. Does anyone know of a phone number to call?

- Susan F., Ragland, AL, US

Nov 142017

Escape LE 1.6L 4 cyl

I bought this car brand new and when this happened I had no clue what was going on. It's as if my car went on strike. My tachometer shot up passed 4 on it's own and my speedometer was going down. Not a single warning light came on, no check engine light, no low fluid light and no high temperature light came on, nothing. I was giving it gas and it wouldn't move. I broke down on interstate.

I had it towed to the Ford dealership where I purchased it from. They checked it out and I was told by the mechanic that the transmission has no transmission fluid in it and it was also full of metal shavings inside of the transmission. So I told them that it has to be a defect and should be a recall since Ford decided to take the dipstick away and I had no access to check it and the on board computer also failed to alert me of a problem. As far as the metal shavings go they couldn't and wouldn't tell me how they got in there, they said it just happens sometimes.

Well I said that this was bullshit, that if it's internally which they was, then it come from internally, which sh*t shouldn't fall off internally which in my eyes is a manufactures defect and a recall should be issued. Naturally they denied that claim. They recommended replacing the transmission for $4200 and I told them" why would I put the same transmission that just messed up on me back in it, do I look stupid to you or something? So I told them I was having the car picked up and fixed elsewhere. Well they didn't like that but too bad. Had transmission rebuilt by certified transmission technician and picked it up beginning of December 2017.

The other half of the story I posted as complaint #2( yes, same thing)

- Cindy R., Abingdon, VA, US

Jan 192018

Escape SE 1.6L 4 cyl

My wife was driving the car on highway when suddenly it stopped going, engine running fine but car would not go. Luckily she was able to pull over safely into a parking lot. The car would not go forward or reverse. Engine would rev up like the transmission was in neutral.

I had the car towed to the Ford dealership where I bought the car. They found that the transmission fluid was very dark (burnt) and there were metal shavings in transmission. It was recommended to replace transmission with rebuilt one for $6182.06. I bought the car new and it had 74076 miles on it. A transmission should last a lot longer than 4 years and 74000 miles. I decided not to have it fixed but get rid of it and buy a new car (not a Ford this time).

- Gary F., Katy, US

Oct 282017

Escape ES 1.6L

The Escape had been running fine, then one day out of the blue, we are getting on to the highway, and the RPMs rev up to 5K, then go back to normal, then it does it again. We merge on to the highway and all seems fine, until we get off the highway and get to red stop light. Once the light turns green, we try to go, and the car does not want to move. It slowly starts to move like it is stuck in a high gear, but you never hear the car shift from one gear to the other. We are able to get the car back home and we called the dealership. They came and had it towed to the shop, and a week later they say they check the transmission and the fluid was black and there are metal shaving in it and the transmission will need to be replaced. Since we are 223 miles over the warranty, we are hoping that Ford will help us out with the cost of a new transmission....no deal. They denied the warranty claim, told us there was nothing they could do, and it would cost $5,600 to get it repaired. We need the car so we need to figure out what to do, and the car is still in the shop. We were told by the dealership that they had never heard of anything like this, but after reading other post on this site, it looks like this is a common problem with the 2014 Ford Escapes.

- David A., Tucson, US

Oct 192017

Escape

This is only a 3 year old vehicle with 44,000. The dealership has had it for 1 week, with of course NO Loaner vehicle. This is my only mode of transportation! I just want to dump it and get a Chevy! Will wait until it is back and then get rid of it. According to the dealership, they have NEVER seen this problem. To which I will say that is BS

- Marilyn S., Berrien Center, US

Sep 222017

Escape

I brought this 2014 Ford Escape in Feb 2017 and by September it was broke down. Ford needs to add the 2014- Escape to their recall/class action lawsuit. This transmission and this car is a safety issue. This car gave no warnings that there was a problem, it just made a loud noise and stopped as I was getting onto the freeway. I could have been seriously injured and in a terrible accident. I bought this car for 14,995.00 and still owe almost 15,000.00 on a car that is sitting in my drive. Ford refuses to help and the dealer has declined to help. I am a mother of small babies who travel with me often and a safe car is a must.This car will need over $6,000.00 in repairs, which is clear I cannot and should have to pay for considering this car was just bought and in basically new condition. This car needs major repairs as the transmission is bad, braking system, and battery. I spoke with several mechanics who confirmed that this issues should have been caught doing inspection.

Ford needs to take all these cars off of the road before someone gets seriously hurt or dies.

- Tyisha M., San Diego, US