- July 15: Ford Allegedly Knew About Defective Fiesta and Focus Transmissions news | 4 days ago
- July 12: Ford Recalls Ranger SuperCab Trucks For Faulty Seat Belts recalls | 7 days ago
- July 9: Ford Focus Canister Purge Valve Recall, Take 2 recalls | 10 days ago
- June 25: Ford Recalls Econolines That May Suddenly Lose Propulsion recalls | 24 days ago
- June 13: Ford Recalls F-150 Trucks That Received Faulty Recall Repairs recalls | 36 days ago
O/D Light Flashes
2003 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 13)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 104,950 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 243 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (95 reports)
- replace with rebuilt transmission (53 reports)
- replace the transmission (39 reports)
- complete overhaul recommended (18 reports)
- rebuild transmission (16 reports)
- rebuilt transmission installed (8 reports)