2012 Ford F-150 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jun 062017

F-150 6-cyl

2012 Ford F150. Consumer writes in regards to brake system recall. The consumer stated the brakes were repaired under recall, but the failure recurred. The brakes fail when reversing. When going forward the brakes have very little power and had a loud noise coming from the vacuum booster. The pedal was difficult to depress and had a major grinding issue.

- Trenton, IL, USA

Sep 012019

F-150

Takata recall the brake vacuum pump is blowing fuses causing the brakes to require extreme pressure to stop vehicle.

- Nazareth, PA, USA

Jan 012018

F-150

TL the contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle stalled and the brakes seized. The contact also mentioned that the low oil pressure indicator illuminated when the failure occurred. When the vehicle was restarted, it resumed normal operation. The vehicle was taken to classic Ford galveston (7700 broadway St, galveston, tx 77554, (409) 744-5711) where the oil level was checked. The contact was informed that the oil level was fine and the cause of the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 142,000.

- Galveston, TX, USA

Sep 152014

F-150

Ford Motor Company brake issue: Ford Motor Company has had an ongoing issue with their rotors and brake pads on several popular vehicles for several years. The rotors prematurely wear and warp causing a reduction is braking power and an increase in braking distance, thus creating an unsafe, hazardous, and potentially deadly condition. The failure of the rotors, due in part to sub-par material and craftsmanship, causes excessive and premature wear/failure of the brake pads. Ford Motor Company is aware of this issue and has subsequently labeled the brake pads as a "wear item" not covered under warranty. With under 11,000 miles on my 2012 F-150, which I purchased brand new, I noticed a pulsation in the brake pedal and scheduled a service check with at the place of purchase. Autonation Ford in North canton, Ohio advised that they "found front rotors corroded and pitted. Also found rear rotors in same condition. Rear pads were at 2mm. Turned front and rear rotors and replaced rear pads." Ford refused to reimburse the replacement cost of the dangerously thin rear pads, claiming they are a "wear item", when in fact the pads were worn at an accelerated rate to that level because of the faulty rotors. Ford Motor Company has a faulty and dangerous product on their vehicles that needs to be recalled and replaced before it results in injury or death.

- Unknown, DC, USA

Jun 222019

F-150

Driving 75mph towing boat. Truck shifts into 1st gear. Redlined engine, many noises, slipping transmission, step on pedal to accelerate, it goes to 5K before shifting. Almost caused major highway disaster. Now my family is afraid to ride in vehicle. Also when first start up no brakes. Recalls where done for both, did not fix either.

- Renfrew, PA, USA

Jul 062019

F-150

Intermittently, there is a hard brake pedal at first start. After a few presses of the brake it goes away.

- Seymour, WI, USA

Jul 032019

F-150

The truck was in park I had stepped out to check the mail with my children in the truck the next thing I knew my truck was moving like it was in gear I jumped in pressed the break and it still showed it in park I pushed into park harder and it stopped.. I was not on a hill or anything to make it roll and it was actually moving like it was put into gear

- Dongola, IL, USA

Jun 182019

F-150

Extremely hard pedal on start up. Ford has a customer satisfaction program called 15N05 for this very problem. Online, my vehicle is the type and was built during the dates and places specified. When I called, they said my VIN number was not covered.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 012019

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the vehicle was excluded from manufacturer campaign number: 15N05 (electric vacuum pump extended coverage); however, the vehicle exhibited the same failure. The contact stated that there was an abnormal clunking sound when the brake pedal was depressed and when reversing. There was no warning indicator each time the failure occurred. The contact stated that the brake pedal was becoming harder to depress as the failure was becoming more intermittent. The vehicle was not diagnosed by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and did not assist. The failure mileage was not available.

- Montague, MI, USA

Nov 022017

F-150 6-cyl

2012 Ford F-150. Consumer writes in regards to vacuum brake booster safety recall. The consumer stated after having the vacuum brake booster repaired under recall, the failure ocurred 2 more times. The manufacturer was notified.

- Standish, MI, USA

May 282019

F-150

Contrary to the resolution stated in NHTSA investigation ea 15-006, Ford is refusing to cover the defective vacuum pump even though it falls with in the affected vehicle production time and is within 10 years and 150,000 miles.

- Denver, CO, USA

Apr 022019

F-150

Electric vacuum assist pump failures that resulting in the loss of brake power assist┐making it far more difficult to get the vehicle to stop. This vehicle has 39,000 miles on it and it gives no warning. I am concerned with injury or a crash. The dealer states this is not a current recall. I have noticed there a several complaints and some crashes have occurred because of this issue.

- Hammondsville, OH, USA

Feb 182019

F-150

I have a 2012 F-150 with the 3.5L ecoboost engine, 100,000 miles. I have been having problems with no power brakes when truck is initially started and the dealer diagnosed this as a failed vacuum pump this typically happens at slow speeds the first several times you stop. A recall was forced in Canada and a customer satisfaction warranty extension is in place in the usa (15N05). Both cover the 2011 to 2012 F-150 with ecoboost engine. For some reason my VIN is not included in the recall & customer satisfaction policy. Brakes intermittently have no power assist and its very difficult to stop truck, especially when you arent expecting the brakes to fail like that. This is a common problem and I have contacted Ford customer service - but all they will tell me is my VIN isnt covered. They need to expand this to cover more vehicles - its a huge safety related issue. I cant believe no recall has been issued.

- Shelby Township, MI, USA

Mar 232019

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While reversing, the brake pedal was difficult to depress and the vehicle rolled. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The dealer and manufacturer were not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 79,770.

- Glenview, IL, USA

Feb 162019

F-150

In February 2017 while backing out of a parking space on a down hill slop I was unable to stop the vehicle and into grass area almost hitting a tree in reverse. The power brakes were so hard I could not move the brake pedal. Once it came to rest I put the vehicle in drive and let off the brake pedal then reapplied the brake and they worked. I then took the vehicle to the dealer and they performed a recall fsa 15N05 on 2/27/2017 with 35,514 miles on the vehicle. Then on 2/16/2019 I was backing out of my garage and again could not stop the vehicle and went into grass hill of my yard.again my brake pedal was hard and no power brakes. When the vehicle came to a stop I let off the brake and reapplied and they started to work again. I took vehicle to the dealer that day for them to check it out. They notified me it again was the brake vacuum pump has has failed again and Ford will not fix it since it was fixed once before under this recall. The dealer also told me they cannot fix it due to the pumps being back ordered for at least 30 days. So the first recall repair only lasted 19,108 miles and less than 2 years. Luckily no one was behind me behind me to get run over and no damage occurred. My feeling that this is clearly a safety issue and parts should last longer. It appears to be a problem since the part is now on back order and looks to be a poor design.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 202019

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While the contact was testing the brake pedal while the vehicle was in park, he noticed that the brake pedal was not engaging. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- Liberty, KY, USA

Jan 252019

F-150

The vehicle was in motion and as I was driving in a parking lot I went to apply the brakes but the pedal went to the floor and the low fluid indicator came on. I was able to use the parking brake to get the vehicle to stop. I opened the hood and found my reservoir was nearly empty but there were no signs of leakage around the reservoir. I got under the vehicle and could night see signs of leakage on brake line or any of the calipers.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 102018

F-150

Theory - vehicle manufacturers can simulate or induce failure of various parts/systems through the computer programming systems that run vehicles causing vehicle owners to make unneeded repairs which creates demand for parts and labor throughout the dealership network. My vehicle has had the following issues arise after the warranty expired. 1) dashboard display of gear vehicle is operating in stopped illuminating 2) windshield wiper stays on lowest intermittent setting after wiper is turned off 3) vehicle makes noise for 5-10 seconds following ignition during which brake pedal is soft. 4) sound of grinding/scraping from the front end 5) power steering is stiff during low speed turns my response to these situations were/are as follows: 1) checked the fuses - everything was good there. Several months later the display illuminated and has stayed illuminated ever since. 2) the local dealership recommended replacing a $100 part - I continued to switch the wipers on and off until wipers stayed off. Situation still requires on/off switching sometimes but has improved over time 3) the local dealership recommended replacement of a $400 brake vacuum pump. I continued to wait for brake pedal to firm before operating the vehicle and the situation resolved to normal presently. That is to say there is no problem with the brakes. 4) took the vehicle in for service and incurred a $700+ charge for iwes system. Dealership said the check valves had stuck open and dirt and dust had entered the system requiring replacement of parts 5) this is the latest issue with the vehicle. It only happens when turning after a stop and doesn't happen every day. I suspect it will resolve itself overtime if my theory as stated at the top is correct.

- Lancaster, NH, USA

May 022018

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 F-150. While driving in reverse, the brake pedal was applied, but failed to respond and traveled to the floorboard. The vehicle was taken to bill brown Ford (32222 Plymouth rd, livonia, mi 48150, (734) 399-4244) where it was diagnosed that the front brakes needed to be repaired. The brakes were replaced, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Ann Harbor, MI, USA

Aug 152018

F-150

Bought 2012 F150 w/ ecoboost new. At 91K miles, experienced loss of power when accelerating while merging into heavy traffic flow. As a result of no power, we were almost T-boned into the passenger side which would have severly injured or killed my wife. Come to discover there is a chronic timing chain design defect and caused catastrophic engine failure at 91K miles. The engine was maintained religeously and oil changes were with nothing but high quality amsoil. Ford knows about the timing chain problem with the 2012 3.5 ecoboost motor. Ford mechanic stated the failure was most likely delayed due to using amsoil, the failures typically occur earlier than 91K miles. Ford will not do anything about it. Ford dealer is putting a new Ford motor in it entirely at my expense. Also the vehicle had a recall for a brake problem involving the electronic brake vacuum system. Ford completed the recall but must have replaced the faulty parts with the same new faulty parts because it is happening again. Ford again will not stand behind their product and fix or cover the costs of the design defect problem. Ford even addresses this problem with their customer satisfaction program 15N05. Niether the Ford dealer completing the repairs or the Ford dealer where I purchased the truck new are able to do anything about the problems because Ford Motor Company will not allow them. Ford is at fault and both are safety issues that they refuse to fix. These defects are unsafe and unacceptable. So much for Ford customer satisfaction. I will never buy another Ford product again!

- Boyne City, MI, USA