2012 Ford F-150 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jan 252019

F-150

The vehicle was in motion and as I was driving in a parking lot I went to apply the brakes but the pedal went to the floor and the low fluid indicator came on. I was able to use the parking brake to get the vehicle to stop. I opened the hood and found my reservoir was nearly empty but there were no signs of leakage around the reservoir. I got under the vehicle and could night see signs of leakage on brake line or any of the calipers.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 102018

F-150

Theory - vehicle manufacturers can simulate or induce failure of various parts/systems through the computer programming systems that run vehicles causing vehicle owners to make unneeded repairs which creates demand for parts and labor throughout the dealership network. My vehicle has had the following issues arise after the warranty expired. 1) dashboard display of gear vehicle is operating in stopped illuminating 2) windshield wiper stays on lowest intermittent setting after wiper is turned off 3) vehicle makes noise for 5-10 seconds following ignition during which brake pedal is soft. 4) sound of grinding/scraping from the front end 5) power steering is stiff during low speed turns my response to these situations were/are as follows: 1) checked the fuses - everything was good there. Several months later the display illuminated and has stayed illuminated ever since. 2) the local dealership recommended replacing a $100 part - I continued to switch the wipers on and off until wipers stayed off. Situation still requires on/off switching sometimes but has improved over time 3) the local dealership recommended replacement of a $400 brake vacuum pump. I continued to wait for brake pedal to firm before operating the vehicle and the situation resolved to normal presently. That is to say there is no problem with the brakes. 4) took the vehicle in for service and incurred a $700+ charge for iwes system. Dealership said the check valves had stuck open and dirt and dust had entered the system requiring replacement of parts 5) this is the latest issue with the vehicle. It only happens when turning after a stop and doesn't happen every day. I suspect it will resolve itself overtime if my theory as stated at the top is correct.

- Lancaster, NH, USA

May 022018

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 F-150. While driving in reverse, the brake pedal was applied, but failed to respond and traveled to the floorboard. The vehicle was taken to bill brown Ford (32222 Plymouth rd, livonia, mi 48150, (734) 399-4244) where it was diagnosed that the front brakes needed to be repaired. The brakes were replaced, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Ann Harbor, MI, USA

Aug 152018

F-150

Bought 2012 F150 w/ ecoboost new. At 91K miles, experienced loss of power when accelerating while merging into heavy traffic flow. As a result of no power, we were almost T-boned into the passenger side which would have severly injured or killed my wife. Come to discover there is a chronic timing chain design defect and caused catastrophic engine failure at 91K miles. The engine was maintained religeously and oil changes were with nothing but high quality amsoil. Ford knows about the timing chain problem with the 2012 3.5 ecoboost motor. Ford mechanic stated the failure was most likely delayed due to using amsoil, the failures typically occur earlier than 91K miles. Ford will not do anything about it. Ford dealer is putting a new Ford motor in it entirely at my expense. Also the vehicle had a recall for a brake problem involving the electronic brake vacuum system. Ford completed the recall but must have replaced the faulty parts with the same new faulty parts because it is happening again. Ford again will not stand behind their product and fix or cover the costs of the design defect problem. Ford even addresses this problem with their customer satisfaction program 15N05. Niether the Ford dealer completing the repairs or the Ford dealer where I purchased the truck new are able to do anything about the problems because Ford Motor Company will not allow them. Ford is at fault and both are safety issues that they refuse to fix. These defects are unsafe and unacceptable. So much for Ford customer satisfaction. I will never buy another Ford product again!

- Boyne City, MI, USA

Jul 252018

F-150

2012 F150: Replaced the vacuum pump in Oct 2016 based on recall and issues with pressing the brake down when starting up. Same issue started again in June 2018. Brought it back to liccardi Ford and they state the issue is "brake booster vacuum pump sensor and pump relay". they charge me $140 for diagnosis and when I pick up the truck for a second opinion, the "check brake system" warning light is on. I did not have this issue when I dropped it off.

- Scotch Plains, NJ, USA

May 102018

F-150

Loss of braking while backing up just after cold start, due to vacuum pump failure on 3.5L ecoboost, reference Ford customer satisfaction program 15N05 & NHTSA investigation - even after having repair done previously by Ford under the program / extended warranty - vacuum pump failed again less than 2 years after first vacuum pump replacement causing the braking issues

- Ashford, CT, USA

May 032018

F-150

While attempting to start the truck I place my foot on the brake it is hard as a rock, will not move down or allow to use, put vehicle in gear no brakes almost drove through garage door this occurs every time I use the vehicle the cause is brake assist vacuum pump which should cause a recall, as somebody who uses this truck or one like it with the same problem could run over somebody no photos available as the part is hidden behind the left front headlight

- Traverse City, MI, USA

Apr 112018

F-150

When I start the truck I have to let it idle and warm up for about five minutes. If I do not let the truck warm-up and I put it in gear the brake pedal is very firm and the truck will not stop. The brake pedal pulses like the ABS system is kicking on but the truck will not stop. Recently, the truck will not stop if cruise control is turned on. If cruise control is on and I push the brake pedal the brake pedal is very firm and cruise control will not turn off and the truck will not slow down. I have to manually turn off cruise control from the steering wheel and then the brakes will work again. I was driving down interstate 44 in Oklahoma when I tried to hit the brakes and the truck did not stop. Before I left on the road trip I let the truck warm-up so that the brakes would work when I first left the driveway.

- Paducah, TX, USA

Apr 122018

F-150

Our 2012 raptor that we have had since new, with 63K miles, was driving fine when the brake fluid light and emergency brake lights came on and lost all power braking. We were able to get the truck to the dealer without an accident and it was diagnosed with a failed master cylinder which bled into the brake booster. We can update with work receipts when we receive the truck back next week.

- Loveland, CO, USA

Apr 032018

F-150

I purchased the vehicle as certified used in 2014 with 32,000 miles. Since ownership, we have taken the vehicle to 4 different dealerships around the St. Louis area with complaints of excessive brake noise on start up. All dealerships have mentioned that it's normal and vehicles will make some noise after sitting. This issue can happen if vehicle is driven, parked and then moved within a 15-20 minute period. The noise was to the point of being obnoxious, at approximately 65,000 miles I replaced the brakes on both axles. The problem still continues to happen and has gotten even worse. Appears that there is already a service bulletin and Ford extended warranty regarding this issue, but multiple dealers have made it appear that there wasn't an issue.

- Villa Ridge, MO, USA

Jan 172018

F-150

I filed a complaint # 11078458 about the brake vacuam booster pump, that has already been replaced once and neglected the fact that I was involved in a low speed accident on 1/17/18, and did not connect them until reading on line. I found out about the problem 3/10/18 the accident was at an intersection, trying to accelerate into traffic from stop when car in front dead stopped at green light. Speed at time of impact 4 mph?

- Rockland, MA, USA

Mar 092018

F-150

I had NY truck in for service, was told there was a recall on vacuam oump and it was replaced. I did not initiate that repair. Less than 75000 miles. Now truck in for service again and I am told the pump needs to be replaced again, again not initiated by me, but now not covered. Still less than 100,000 miles. Pedal has no assist at startup. Hard to stop after startup

- Rockland, MA, USA

Dec 152017

F-150

Ford issued recall 15N05 for the electric vacuum pump. This was to be a onetime fix which I had repaired when it failed. The new electric vacuum pump failed again 20,000 miles and 13 months later with the same issue. Ford will not repair. The parts are obviuosly faulty as my dealer told me several F150 trucks they repaired unter this recall are breaking again.

- West Milford, NJ, USA

Nov 282016

F-150

The brakes give out periodically I was almost involved in a collision due to it I took it to asheville nc Ford and they replaced a part but it is still doing it I now live in elko nv I checked for a recall and it says my trucks VIN showed no recall but it's doing the same thing as the trucks on recall. As I'd start in the morning and apply the brakes they'd be stiff and not work I'd try pumping them and they'd growel and barely work then after a short time they'd be find they gave out once while I was driving almost causing a wreck that's when I took it to asheville Ford nc and thought it was fixed but it's still doing it and you never know when it's going to happen not a real warm feeling

- Elko, NV, USA

Oct 132016

F-150

This vehicle has been involved in several slow speed brake failures as follows: 12/05/17 unable to stop vehicle when backing out of driveway. It seemed to have a very hard brake pedal. Vehicle ran into curb at other side of street. No damage to vehicle. 02/05/17 vehicle involved in accident. Rear end another vehicle at stop light. Vehicle did not stop in expected distance when brakes applied.. excessive pedal force was needed. 10/13/16 vehicle involved in accident at stop sign. Vehicle did not stop in expected distance and collided with with another vehicle. Excessive pedal force required to stop vehicle.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Oct 242017

F-150

Someone stopped short in front of me. I applied the brakes but could not avoid hitting car. The brake indicator on front control display said my brakes are ok. Once I crashed the seat belt engaged but I still hit the steering wheel with my chest. The airbags did not deploy! there was some heavy smoke though around the seat belt area or from perhaps the electrical connections under the seat?

- Deer Park, NY, USA

Jun 022017

F-150

I was driving normal speed and had to make a quick stop because the truck in front of me stopped short in front of my. I slammed the brakes to stop and my truck did not stop and collided with the car in front of me. There were no skid marks, the truck just did not stop. I had the brakes done the day before and I did not stop. I took my truck to Ford to check brake boost vacuum pump because it was making noises. They replaced it because the part was defective. I believe this is what caused my accident and the inability to stop quickly. Ford has replaced the part and the brakes are working properly but the pump is still noisy. I believe this to be related to the 2011‐2012 Ford F‐150 equipped with 3.5L gtdi engines EA15‐006 brake vacuum pump failure

- Schwenksville, PA, USA

Jul 082017

F-150

The brakes gave out and all of the brake fluid leaked out. The brake went straight to the floor. There are no injuries involved, but could have been fatal if on a highway at speed vs in a parking lot.

- Southborough, MA, USA

Jun 142017

F-150

Brake vacuum pump failure: Used 2012 Ford F150 purchased in October 2016. When we moved in March 2017 to a home with a slight driveway slant, there were daily brake issues where when applying the brake it would feel stiff and fail to stop the vehicle. Upon investigation, we learned that a recall had been done on our make, model, and year of vehicle due to a vacuum brake pump failure, but were told that our vehicle was made at a different plant then where the recall was valid for. On 4/24/17 we took the vehicle in to have it checked out and were told by the dealership that this was "normal" and charged $83.95 for this. Within a couple weeks we started hearing another loud noise when starting the vehicle and took it in on 5/12/17 where the timing chain was replaced under powertrain warranty. A month later, the service brake light started coming on while driving, but if we stopped and turned off the vehicle and turned it back on it would stay off (for a day or two). We called and were told not to bring it in unless the light was actually on. A week later the light came on and we took it into an auto shop to have the codes read to identify the issue to show the dealership. On 6/21/17 the vehicle was taken in with the readings and at that time we were informed that the vacuum pump had failed and needed to be replaced. Ford refused to pay for any of the service and we were charged $559.08 for the exact problem the other vehicles had been recalled for and which we were originally told was "normal" to not be able to use the brakes on our vehicle for 20 seconds or so when started. At this time we requested to see what repairs had been done on the vehicle in the past prior to us purchasing the vehicle and our listed below:3/21/16 replace timing chain at bickley Ford;3/21/16 replace vacuum pump at bickley Ford;4/8/16 replace hoses for vacuum pump at bickley Ford

- Little Chute, WI, USA

May 012013

F-150

When backing out of driveway at approx. 5mph, the power brakes become spongy and can be pushed all the way to the floor. The vehicle fails to stop and the brakes must be pumped several times before they work. This only occurs at initial startup (first use of the brakes) that day. This happens almost daily during warm/hot weather months. The problem has existed since the vehicle was purchased and I have taken it to the dealership 2-3 times regarding this issue. However, they could not duplicate problem or determine the cause. It's been happening for the past 3-4 years and it's only a matter of time before I don't stop in time and backup into my neighbors car across the street. I have the 2012 Ford F150 w/ eco boost six-cylinder engine and find similar complaints on the internet regarding this truck. A recall for similar brake problems was issued on 2013-2014 year models but not 2012. My truck is not used daily and has about 30,000 miles on it.

- Mansfield, NJ, USA