8.0

2012 Ford F-150 cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Dec 012014

F-150 FX4 3.5L V6

I have the Ecoboost version of this F150. While driving in the Alaska Interior where temperatures often reach below zero during the winter, I noticed that my engine temperature would almost immediately climb upon reaching highway speeds of 55mph. After a few moments of overheating indication, the check engine light illuminates. If continuing to drive with that light on, the truck will begin a shuttering stall phase when I depress the accelerator.

While I understand that chill temperature at highway speeds can create havoc on the cooling system, blocking the radiator with cardboard was ineffective in this matter. I have since replaced the thermostat but that proved to be ineffective. Once again, this issue isn't occuring when the temperature is 4, 3, 2, 1 or even zero Fahrenheit. It only occurs at negative temperatures, i.e. -1, -2, etc. My mechanic, Ford mechanics and even Chevy mechanics are at a loss as to why this could be happening. Please help...

- afwick, Eielson AFB, AK, US