ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 39)

Dec 162018

Fusion

While driving Fusion service down highway Sunday(12-16-18) service power steering now light came on & couldn't turn steering wheel without complications & had to get home to park car before I hit something due to steering wheel too hard to steer, car shaking, and couldn't hardly keep in lane. The service advance light also came on & both remain on & little to no control left to steer the car so car remains parked. Ford knows there are issues with this part and extremely costly repairs and part is a necessity to safely operate the car. This part should be recalled and repaired at the cost of Ford motor not their customers who seek a safe car to Transport themselves and their families in.

- Whiteville, NC, USA

Oct 312018

Fusion

I bought the car used the end of July 2018 for my daughter to drive. She informed me today that from time to time it as if the car stalls out when driving it or when she tries to accelerate. I did some research online just a few minutes ago and found that this is a common problem. See the link attached: Https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Fusion/2010/engine/sudden_deceleration_loss_of_power.shtml this was just from one website and there are several others with the same issue. It would seem to me that this is a safety issue. My question is if this has been brought to your attention, why would you not do something about it? not being able to accelerate when in traffic can be extremely dangerous and could lead to car accidents. She is living in atlanta and I am in orlando so she just mentioned it today when I talked to her but she said it has happened a few times since she has had it the last few months.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 112018

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V384000 (air bags) and 14E028000 (equipment). The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The contact called seymour Ford Lincoln at (517) 787-9500 (located at 2601 seymour rd, jackson, mi 49201) and was informed that the part was not available. The manufacturer was contacted and did not assist. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available for NHTSA campaign number: 16V384000 (air bags) and parts distribution disconnect for NHTSA campaign number: 14E028000 (equipment). The consumer stated because of the inactivity, car has deteriorated and incurred multiple issues. Updated 12/11/18

- Jackson, MI, USA

Oct 032018

Fusion

Takata recall I was driving and the car began to slow down rapidly. I was unable to control where I was going and unable to accelerate or decelerate. I have no control over the vehicle when this happens. It is not an all the time problem, but does happen very often. The check engine light comes on when it happens and the car accelerates briefly before instantly shutting off. The wrench symbol also comes on before this all takes place. I could be using cruise control or just normal driving and it happens in both situations. The vehicle tends to do it no matter where you are such as a high way or on a regular city street. I have had the vehicle checked out numerous (six) times to see why it does this. The mechanic hooks it up to the computer every time and states there is nothing wrong but then resets the symbol lights so they go out. The car will be fine for a week or so and then do it again! it is scary when it happens and I try not to drive the car due to this issue. How can you fix something the mechanics state is not broken? something isnt right with the vehicle and something needs to be investigated to see why it does this! it can not only be my car!

- Dubois, PA, USA

May 252018

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. When the vehicle was turned off and restarted, it operated normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer cloninger Ford (1241 us hwy 70 SE, hickory, nc 28602), but the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 56,000.

- Mewton, NC, USA

Apr 302018

Fusion

April 30, 2018 after driving for 3 hours on the highway at appr. 75 to 80 mph the dash lights went haywire, flickering and then the service advancetrac warning came D. I was able to drive it to my exit and drive slowly. I could stop and go very slow. After a mile or 2 the batter light and all the lights came on and the brake light warning light came on. I could feel the car loosing power so I pulled over. At this time it was also chiming that the cross fault system was not available. After turning the car off, it would not start, the radio would play, lights would work and hazards would work.the steering was hard to turn the car was towed to a mechanic shop and I am awaiting a diagnosis. Earlier on April 16, I received a letter from Ford stating they would no longer host the vehicle health report system.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Jan 162018

Fusion

While driving my vehicle the service advancetrac warning light came on. My vehicle would not accelerate appropriately and then would not be in gear. I have taken it to the dealer and they replaced sensors etc. They have identified that the steering rack and pinion will need to be replaced. When I researched this I found that this is a common issue for this vehicle and that a recall had in fact been instituted for 2011 and newer models. This is a problem in vehicles from 2010 as well. There is no reason owners of 2010 models should have to pay the expense to fix this dangerous vehicle failure when new model owners do not. The part itself (for aftermarket) costs $1000.

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

Jan 232018

Fusion

The wrench light come on and I lost acceleration. Very hazardous situation. The throttle body needs replacing. This should be a recall.

- East Aurora, NY, USA

Sep 262017

Fusion

My car while I was driving had an issue where it decelerated on its own and there was no gas pedal....throwing a throttle actuator ccontrol system code saying was stuck open...this has happened a couple times now but code cleared before could look at...took to les stumpf Ford they are telling me they can't do anything til the code stasys on for therm to test....so I am supposed to drive an unsafe vehicle for a known prooblem that the company was sued about and created a customer satisfaction extended warranty instead of recalling it until it does it again....and I am at about 142000 and only covers til 150000

- Appleton, WI, USA

Sep 202017

Fusion

Driving...speed all of a sudden dropped to around 2 mph...would go no faster....yellow wrench light appeared on instrument panel along with check engine soon light, if I had been in traffic there could have been a fatal accident...by all indications...the throttle body is the cause of the problem..read various reports of other 2010 Ford Fusion owners with the identical problem...this is a very serious and dangerous problem that needs to be addressed without delay...

- Kingsport, TN, USA

May 252017

Fusion

On May 25, 2017 I pulled into a parking lot over a speed bump and rounded a building pulling into a parking space. From the speed bump to the parking space the slow speed is perfect for pulling in the space. I was braking to a stop when my car lurched forward only stopping when it struck the building. My foot was on the brake the entire time, as witnessed by my passenger. I'm 4'10" tall and unlike putting my foot on the brake, I have to stretch to reach the accelerator - so there is no mistaking the two. This was the first time we had ever experienced a lurching action in our Fusion. We had experienced this action in our freestyle and have managed to solve the problem in that vehicle, but this was the first and last time time it happened in the Fusion. The previous owner mentioned a rare transmission "hiccup" his mechanic could never find. We had been driving the Fusion since October 2016 and it drove beautifully.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Apr 292017

Fusion

Takata recall. The recall date for the airbag recall was June 2016 and it has now been nearly a year and Ford still has "no remedy" for this recall. This is extremely dangerous in the case of an accident. In addition, I was not notified of this recall or the electronic throttle body issue that my car also has but now is past the "extended warranty" and they will not fix for free, despite me having made a complaint about it in the past. Last week, I was on the freeway traveling at 70 mph, my car suddenly stopped accelerating and slowed down rapidly. I had been lucky no one was closely following behind me and I was in the right lane and quickly could pull over or I could have been hit from behind at a very fast speed because of the etb failing. I have never been notified of any of the safety issues that my car has. Ford has failed to notify me and I feel that because they did not send me anything, even though they have my address and email, they put me at risk of an accident that could have led to serious injuries.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Jan 202014

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the vehicle was slow to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed and idled extremely low. The vehicle suddenly surged at a high rate of speed. The contact had to coast the vehicle off the road and restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to replicate and diagnose the failure. The contact received notification of a manufacturer service campaign for the electronic throttle body extended coverage, but the dealer refused to provide the manufacturer's solution to repair the vehicle. The contact was uncertain if the vehicle would be repaired the contact received notification of customer satisfaction program: 13N03. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 06/29/17

- Wise, VA, USA

Feb 272017

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While the vehicle was stopped at a traffic light, the wrench warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle did not accelerate. The vehicle was idling. When the contact turned off and restarted the vehicle, it resumed normal operation. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed replacement. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle did not qualify for the warranty extension. The approximate failure mileage was 39,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 132017

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 75 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the throttle body warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 245,000. The VIN was not available.

- Sunflower, MS, USA

Oct 132016

Fusion

My vehicle has the tendency of reducing acceleration, when you are driving at a speed of 35 or above the car will slow down and almost come to a complete stop. If you are in the fast lane and your car will not accelerate what can you do if there is lots of traffic behind you, this will definitely cause an accident because you have no where to go and cars are right up on you. This is an accident waiting to happen. This problem has happened to me 4 times when I was on just the streets and not the highway, I was going 45 mph and all of a sudden my car loses speed and it went all the way down and no matter how much I tried to accelerate it would not go any faster, so I coasted over to the side of the road and turned the engine off and called my son to meet me because I didn't know if it would start again. It did but the engine light stayed on. I started driving it again and it did the same thing. I got a little closer to home and pulled over to this exxon gas station; sit there until my son came and he started it again and he followed me home. A few days later it did it again; it has done this 4 times even this morning on my way to the Ford dealership whom I thought was going to fix the problem but wanted me to pay them $115 out of pocket for a diagnostic that I should not be paying anything that is their mistake or mess up. I will see if I can round up enough complaints for a class action lawsuit, because why would I have to pay for something that's their fault when the car was built.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 142016

Fusion 4-cyl

This instance vehicle going steady 35mph and started revving RPM's up like it was going to shift into another gear, it then slammed and jerked the car and started the revving again. Stopped at a stop light and turned left, while turning and hitting accelerator the car did not want to move and started revving again and then slammed and jerked almost making the person behind me rear end me. Previous instance was a steady 75 mph on the flat highway and the same revving and slam/jerking had happened. 5th time it's done it this year alone. 13 times since 2011. This instance the orange wrench light came on the dash. Car is at dealership to get looked at. This is very unsafe especially since it is erratic and does it at any time it feels like. This car is not safe to have my family in.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Aug 242016

Fusion

Takata recall- my car stalls and doesnt turn all the way. If I slow down or stop the car will give out I got a diagnostic done three times and three different things came up and I got all the fix but it still do the same thing I see other people that have the same car have the same problem I was on the expressway when this did this this is very dangerous

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 182016

Fusion

While driving, the vehicle will stall, the orange wrench comes on on the dash board. The car will remain running while idling roughly. After restarting the car a few times it will start and appear fine with no symptoms and no check engine lights on. However, the car will do the exact same thing randomly, it might be the next day or an hour from then. I checked the code while the orange wrench light was on and got a P2111 code (throttle actuator control system). Called Ford to have them repair it since it is under warranty, and I was told that since the orange wrench light isn't on right this moment, that they will have to try test driving it longer to get it to act up before Ford will allow them to replace it. The vehicle is at the dealership now.

- Laporte, IN, USA

Aug 312016

Fusion

Several months ago, in the middle of a busy intersection, my car unexpectedly shook and went to "limp" mode in the middle of a busy intersection with the wrench light coming on. I pulled into the closest driveway after putting on my hazards and, after turning off the engine, restarted the car, which took about about 5 seconds of trying to turn over the ignition. Since that time, the same problem has happened at least two dozen times, sometimes several times in a row; and the rest of the time, the rpms flutter in an irregular way. I do mostly city driving and have thankfully been able to avoid an accident when having to pull over and restart; but in each case, it is not a good situation. By all accounts online, this is a very frequent problem and due to a faulty throttle body. Notably, the problem with my car began to occur at around 45,000 miles, which is typical from what I've read of other complaints. This seems much too early, much too common, and much too dangerous of a problem for it not to be covered under an extended warranty or recall. There was, in fact, an extended warranty, but it expired in early 2015. I was told by the local dealer that it would cost $600 to repair.

- New Haven, CT, USA