9.2

$1,800

1. replace rack and pinion (15 reports)
2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 162018

Fusion 2.5L

The steering is electric and when it fails, there’s no warning. I got a message steering power assist fault and then no power steering. This is very frustrating when it gives no warning. Then you take it to be repaired only to find out Ford wants $1400 just for the new rack and it must be programmed by a dealer. The 2011 Fusion’s have a recall for this but not 2010. If you know you have installed inferior parts at least you could sell new ones at a reasonable price, especially since a dealer has to program it. But hey Ford has you, so bend over.

- Kurt R., Westminster, US

Jul 192018

Fusion SEL 3.0L V6

I CAN'T UNDERSTAND THE HOLD UP. YOU HAVE THE INFORMATION AND THE NERVE TO FORGET ABOUT THE 2010 FORD FUSION SEL V6 3.0. SHOULD BE EMBARRASSING. NICE CAR BUT OVER ALL SAFETY IS GOING DOWN THE DRAIN.

- Damina B., Norcross, US

Jun 122018

Fusion ES 3.2L V6

Bullshit! Ford KNOWS that this is a problem and still wants to charge $2300 to fix?! That's crazy. Cant hardly drive car without killing my arms. They even seem to have an extended warranty for some years and models for the same problem, but of course not my car that I just paid off 4 freaking months ago!

- Nicole H., Colorado Springs, CO, US

Feb 062018

Fusion SEL 2.5L

Steering locked up solid going down a two-lane highway around 30 mph. Car veered to right and damaged right rear quarter panel. Took to Washington Ford, replaced rack. The bill, out of pocket $2,175.75. Ford Fusion 2010's should be recalled as 2011's and up have the same part - Rack. The part they replaced was re-manufactured with a warranty of only 2 years. I am retired on a fixed income and CANNOT afford this crap. So please DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE 2010's and recall them. Unfortunately there will be no more Fords for me!!!!

- Karen D., Washington, PA, US

Feb 012018

Fusion SE 3.2L V6

Power steering electric assist FAILURE. Recall and fix this Ford. Makes Ford look very bad.

- Russell S., Millers Creek, NC, US

Feb 012018

Fusion SE 3.2L V6

Power steering fault occurred 3 times during start up. Shut car off each time before proceeding to drive car. Now, the power steering has completely quit without warning while driving into my driveway. I had a horrible time getting it to turn. I have severely pulled muscles in my back, neck, shoulders, arms. To the point it hurts so bad, I am in tears after I work as hard as possible to control the vehicle. I have had 3 heart attacks and suffer from documented disc damage, nerve damages as a result of the power steering quitting without ANY WARNING. I've had to drive the Fusion home under horrible duress, afraid for my life, to drive over 20-30 mph. in a 55mph highway speed zone in order to make it home safely.

I have all my life praised all Ford products over many car conversations,something is very wrong here! I am scared for my life to drive this Ford Fusion. If there is a FEDERAL MANDATED RECALL to have this Electric Assist Power Steering repaired and or corrected, please, by all means let me know. It's horrible and frightening to operate. I'm so afraid that it will not work at highway speed.

I need FORD to please "step up" and fix this defect before some poor soul loses their steering traveling down the highway,have an accident due to the steering electric assist failure resulting in the Ford Fusion driver crashing, getting hurt or worse killed.

- Russell S., Millers Creek, NC, US

Dec 212017

Fusion SEL V6

My power steering shut down in my car on December 21. Today was the first appointment I could get at dealership which left me without a vehicle to drive over the entire holiday season. With no warning power steering shut off. My car had the low tire pressure indicator on and the tires caused friction while spinning on ice. It seems the power steering shut off at this point. Today my quote to get my power steering repaired, including tax and shop kit $2,398.54. My car has only 72,231 kms on it.

- Valerie A., Windsor, ON, Canada

Aug 172016

Fusion SE 4 cyl

I had driven my car to an appointment with no problems. When I started to leave, I began driving and the power steering completely went out on the car. I'm 5'2 and 115 pounds so this could have very easily caused a crash. I could hardly turn the wheel at all to maneuver the road way. After a diagnostic testing at the dealership I was told the power steering component had quit for good and that my car (2010) wasn't included in the recall issued for 2011-present models for the same problem. It cost me over $2000 and I'm a one-income family so that was a hard hit for my budget. I plan to get another vehicle ASAP and it will NOT be a Ford. I found several complaints online and Ford is making no attempt to fix this problem in the 2010 models. I guess the company would rather save the cost of a recall at the expense of wrecks or deaths of drivers. Sad!

- Lindsay J., Bowling Green, KY, USA

Apr 102016

Fusion 3.2L

FORD HAS RECALLED 2011 THRU 2014 FOR THIS PROBLEM AND DID NOT RECALL 2010 WHICH HAS THE SAME PROBLEM. THERE IS A CLASS ACTION SUIT ON THERE, I JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET A BOARD WITH IT.

- Bruce S., Urbandale, IA, US

Jun 272015

Fusion SE 4 cyl

WHILE DRIVING MY 2010 FORD FUSION INTO PARKING LOT, THE SERVICE ADVANCE TRAC WARNING APPEARED. I PARKED AND WENT INTO A STORE. AFTER SHOPPING, I WAS READY TO BACK OUT OF THE PARKING SPACE AND COULDN'T. I HAD NO POWER STEERING AND THE WARNING LIGHT SAID "SERVICE POWER STEERING NOW".

I HAD MY YOUNG DAUGHTER AND MY MOTHER WITH ME, SO THANK GOD WE WERE ALREADY IN A PARKING LOT AND NOT IN TRAFFIC OR AT A HIGHER SPEED!! (I'M ALSO SO THANKFUL MY NEWLY LICENSED SON WASN'T DRIVING DOWN THE HIGHWAY WHEN THIS HAPPENED.) I HAD TO LEAVE MY CAR THERE SINCE IT'S NOT SAFE TO DRIVE AND CALL FOR A RIDE.

I WILL BE TAKING IT FOR SERVICE ON MONDAY, MOST LIKELY BY TOW TRUCK. I HAVE FOUND MANY OTHER CASES ONLINE JUST LIKE MINE WHERE THE EXACT SAME THING HAS HAPPENED. I CAN ALMOST BET THE PROBLEM IS THE POWER STEERING RACK. WITH SO MANY REPORTS, WHY HASN'T FORD ISSUED A RECALL FOR THIS? THIS SEEMS LIKE A VERY EXPENSIVE PROBLEM AND I THINK FORD SHOULD HAVE TO PAY TO HAVE IT FIXED. WHEN I BOUGHT THIS CAR IN 2011, I DID NOT EXPECT TO HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT MAJOR SAFETY ISSUES LIKE THIS. I REALLY THOUGH I WAS GETTING ONE OF THE SAFEST CARS ON THE MARKET, BUT APPARENTLY NOT.

- vr200, Winchester, USA

May 102015

Fusion SEL 3.0L V6

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion (SEL 3.0L V6).

On Sunday,17th May 2015 my family and I went for our routine Sunday evening drive. We were just about 45 minutes on our journey, when the power steering gave out.. At that moment I had no control of the car because of the tightness of the steering. That was one of the most unpleasant and scary experiences I have ever had.

Thank God I was able to pull over with much effort without incident and wait on a tow truck to take the car to the dealer.

This seems to be a common problem with these Ford Fusion cars and Ford should really have a recall on this model for this problem, before more people get injured or die as a result.

- Shawn P., Philipsburg. St.Maarten, Netherlands Antilles

Jan 092014

Fusion SE 2.5L

Ford Motor company needs to do a recall on this part. In one of my vehicles it has gone bad 2 times now. putting in separate complaint. The sttering feels gritty/ tight right before it completely gives out. It is so expensive to replace. Now 20,000 miles later it went out again. Ford tells me they will only cover the part not the labor. "oh Sure thats fine I'll just pay you another $500.00 to put it in. I am persue further to get this taken care of and a refund, possible recall.

- sestelow, Browns Mills, USA

May 062015

Fusion SE 2.5L

This is the 2nd steering rack put in the same car. Ford needs to do something quickly. No reason I have to put 2 in within 20,000 miles of each other ..seriously pissed off. Ford tells me "Well we'll cover the part put you have to pay labor total is $488.00" , F U Ford keep the car !!!

- sestelow, Browns Mills, USA

Nov 202014

Fusion SE 2.5L

THIS HAS BEEN A VERY FRUSTRATING TIME FOR ME. HAVING TO STRUGGLE WITH THE STEERING WHEEL GOING ONE WAY AND HAVING TO USE MUSCLES IN MY ARMS I DIDN'T KNOW I HAD, TO KEEP FROM GOING INTO OTHER VEHICLES. ALSO HAVING TO SPEND OVER $1500 TO DIFFERENT SHOPS, INCLUDING ONE OF YOUR FORD DEALERS, AND STILL THE PROBLEM EXISTS.

THE PROBLEM ISN'T THE RACK AND PINION. IT IS WITH THE CAR COMPUTER BRAIN GIVING OFF FALSE FAULTS MAKING THE CAR THINK THAT THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITHIN THE STEERING. WITH ALL THE COMPLAINTS THERE SHOULD BE A RECALL FOR FORDS TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE ACTUAL PROBLEM IS .

PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM AN REIMBURSE ME FOR MY PAIN AND SUFFERING AND MONEY THAT I SHELLED OUT THAT DIDN'T TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM.

- Jacqueline B., Allen Park, MI, US

Oct 052014

Fusion SE V6

Driving on highway and a bell goes off and dash says power steering failure..barely could get it onto shoulder...almost got hit twice..take it to Ford dealer and they want me to pay $2000 and I have read that is not even guaranteed to fix the problem. Get on Twitter and rant and Ford contacts me...all smoke and mirrors..they refused to help as well. Someone is going to get killed due to this and I hope they sue Ford and close up shop. How can you not recall this? This is not leaking oil or squeaking brakes..this is steering which last time I checked was pretty important in a car.

- Cheryl W., Peoria, IL, USA

Sep 192014

Fusion SE

Bought brand new. Help American workers - yeah right!! Power steering light came on as did service power steering NOW without warning. Managed to get car to side of road and turned off engine. Started car after 10 minutes but no change. Got car home and disconnected battery and reconnected. Same messages and still no power steering. Dealership service rep told me that in 22 years he had never seen this. Very rare. I told him BS go on line and read the horror stories. Ford Canada essentially kissed me off. So a four year old car with 56,700 kms ( 37,300 miles) required a $2600 Cda. repair to replace steering gear, new rack.

Oh yeah, While at the dealership on Saturday the service rep next to my service rep was telling a customer on the phone that a new rack would be ordered first thing Monday. When I spoke to this rep Monday he denied the conversation and said he was referring to something else.

All my buds snickered when I bought a Ford. Now I know why.

- dsdad52, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Dec 092014

Fusion LE 2.5L

Amazing: I drove a 1970 Renault 5 (in 1980!!) for 5 years and it never died. Drove a Pontiac Acadian around the Gaspé Penninsula without any oil (i didn't know...the mechanic freaked out !!), never gave out. Kicked the hell out of a jacked Nissan King-Kab in the woods, never, ever gave out.

All this to say, how can a car company shirk it's responsibility when it comes to the basics of driving a car, and that is, the bloody STEERING !!!! I thought I was buying a solid and decent car (I haven't bought American in years, so, I thought I'd take a chance.....WRONG !). Loved the fit and finish. Well optioned out. Comfortable as all get-out! But, and it's a big but, when you going down an auto-route (interstate) at 120kmh and a goddam POWER STEERING FAILURE message goes on while an 18 wheeler is cutting in front of you, you Ford pencil pushers better be ready to live with, one day seeing carnage on your beautiful 60'' plasma tv screens, which you were able to purchase thru the savings earned by NOT recalling your FAULTY STEERING MODULE HARNESS. From what I can see, the wire gauge seems a little small....

Thank-you, I know nothing will be done, but, at least I've vented...

Update from Dec 17, 2014: Here's a follow-up: I have a REALLY good local mechanic, so I went to him and explained the whole mess. He has one of those fancy high level code readers, so he was able to dig deeper than I ( I had an OBD II computer-based reader. Could'nt get very far...). Tried resetting the codes I had, but always fell into error state. At one point, we went into real-time mode, reading from the ''wheel angle sensor'' we noticed that the value was frozen. Bingo, or so we thought.... He has a good friend at the local Ford dealer and, you guessed it, the wheel angle sensor is not a ''part sold seperately'' from the steering rack. In other words, it's the same $1500 parts and labour answer ! Undeterred, my mechanical friend lifted the car and proceded to follow the wiring, and lo and behold, the sensor is held by 2 bolts AND it can be unclipped from the main harness !!!!! So, my next step is to find a scrapped Fusion and just remove that tiny, little sensor. To be continued.......

- Mike L., Two-Mountains, Quebec, Canada

Nov 232014

Fusion SE 2.5L

Only 22 days and about 1000km after I spent $425 to fix the same “power assist steering” failure problem with my Fusion, it went out again.

This time my wife was driving, and when the “power assist steering” failed, she struggled to keep the car in her own lane. By pure luck, she was driving on the straight portion of roadway. This was an extremely dangerous situation, and it could have been fatal. I brought the car back to the Ford dealership, and this time they tell me the rack needs to be replaced. A $1700 part, put 5 hours of labour at $119.95/hour, plus wheel alignment and who knows what else!! Still waiting on the final cost, since I do not have my car back yet.

This problem has to be addressed by Ford. It is much too dangerous of a problem to be ignored. There have been 2 recalls for power assist failures for other Ford vehicles which has prompted an investigation by Transport Canada. If it is also happening in Fusions (you can read several forums stating very similar problems) why is Ford not doing anything about it? The US Department of Transportation NHTSA are looking into this problem with Fusions in the states as of 02-Oct-2014.

Update from Dec 17, 2014: I got the car back from the Ford dealer. I drove the car 16 km and the same "power assist steering" failure happened again. All the same dash warning lights came on again and the steering was very stiff. I drove the car back to Ford....again (3rd time for the same problem and $2700 poorer). This time I was told my tires were the problem, due to the extreme wear on them. Please note that the tires were less than 2 years old and are only used during the 7-8 months when we have no snow or ice. I told Ford that they tires were less than 21 years old and had less than 40000km on them. The dealers opinion was that since the rack was failing, it cause the tires to wear prematurely.

I think the 1st trip costing $425 for changing the tire sensors was a complete was of time and money.

- Ray H., North River, NL, Canada

Jun 182014

Fusion SEL 3.5L

The steering issue on the car happened only two weeks after I purchased the vehicle. Car became very difficult to steer, thought perhaps for some reason there was no fluid in it. Came to learn that this car does not use a power steering pump, rather it has an electric motor that assists the steering. After doing some searches, I found out that several people have had this issue. Contacted the dealer and was told to bring it in to have it checked out, came to learn that the power steering rack had to be replaced to the cost of $1500.00... I am beside myself as I just bought the car!!!

This is a recall item, based on all the reports of people having this same issue, Ford needs to step up to the plate here and realize they have a problem and bad design to get these components replaced out on these cars before someone seriously gets injured. The car is almost impossible to steer when this goes out and if someone like an older person or younger inexperienced driver runs into this situation the problem is going to cause serious injury... The failure happens without any indications. FORD recall the part and fix these cars!!!

- taormg, Geneva, IL, US

May 232014

Fusion V6

My daughter has a 2010 Ford Fusion. A week ago we were driving back to town, car starts going all over the road so I slow down, thought we were blowing a tire. Daughter blew it off till last night, gets out of class and starts car, puts it in reverse, lights come on, steering shuts down, lights say power steering assist at fault.

Now car at dealer and they say nothing wrong with this car. Well they are going to eat this car, it's a piece of SH*T, dangerous as hell and anyone who buys a Ford Fusion better give their ASSES to god, they are not safe!!!!!

SHAME ON FORD COMPANY FOR SELLING THESE CARS AND NOT MAKING SAFE CARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET THIS, MECHANIC SAYS IT'S IN DAUGHTER'S HEAD, NOTHING WRONG. WELL, HE HAS NOT MET ME YET HAS HE, DUMB ASS FOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS DON'T LIKE MY LANGUAGE DON'T READ MY POST THEN!!!!!!!!

- Deana B., Brownfield, TX, USA