- November 19: Feds Deny Ford and Mazda Petitions to Delay Takata Airbag Recalls news | 5 days ago
- October 27: Ford Fusion Loose Steering Wheel Bolts Investigated investigations | 28 days ago
- October 26: Ford Recalls Transit Vans After Reports of Fires recalls | 29 days ago
- October 26: Ford Recalls 2017 F-150 Over Transmission Problems recalls | 29 days ago
- October 25: Ford Recalls 2018 F-150 Trucks For Shift Lever Problems recalls | 30 days ago
NHTSA — Seat Belts: Front: Retractor Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.
The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.
Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.
The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...
- Crashes / Fires:
- 0 / 0
- Injuries / Deaths:
- 0 / 0
- Average Mileage:
- 21,000 miles
About These NHTSA Complaints:
This data is from the NHTSA — the US gov't agency tasked with vehicle safety. Complaints are spread across multiple & redundant categories, & are not organized by problem.
So how do you find out what problems are occurring? For this NHTSA complaint data, the only way is to read through the comments below. Any duplicates or errors? It's not us.
seat belts / air bags problem