2009 Honda Accord brakes problems: premature brake wear

Premature Brake Wear

2009 Honda Accord (Page 3 of 14)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.7

1. replace brakes (137 reports)
  2. let's all complaint to the top! (24 reports)
  3. replace brakes & rotors (21 reports)
  5. class action suit (15 reports)
  6. dealer fixed free of charge (13 reports)
2009 Honda Accord brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

2009 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 3 of 14)

Nov 012011

Accord LX V6

I had 20,000 miles on the car when little squeaking noises started. They started when I was going less than 5 miles per hour. They were intermittent and never appeared when going fast. Then it started intermittently when braking. It got worse. Started on the left side, and when it started on the right side 8 months later is when I took the car in.

When I returned to the dealer Nov 3, 2012, I had 22,400 miles on the car. When I was told the brake pads were worn down to metal, I immediately asked to see the service supervisor. It was a Saturday, and I believe the idiot was just a technician. He told me the brakes were shot and I needed them replaced. I immediately said that I wanted to see the brake pads. I looked at the pads and was incredulous. I told him that I had NEVER had to replace pads in under 40,000 to 50,000 miles. How did this happen. His answer was that I was a bad driver. I got really pissed at that and told him this was my fifth car in 39 years of car ownership. He then said it was the driving conditions in DC. I then told him that I had lived in the area for over 10 years and I never had problems like this with my Acura Integra.

Unfortunately, I had to have the brakes repaired. Paid an outrageous amount of money to have it done. I had fully expected to have the repair done under warranty. He stated the warranty did not cover "consumables" like brake pads.

This is the fifth car I have owned in 40 years. I had absolutely NO idea what was going on. I had NEVER had brakes fail in under 50,000 (first car in 1974) miles and had NEVER experienced anything like this. I can't even remember if I ever had the brake pads changed in my Acura Integra GS, 1998 model.

What makes me th most pissed is the way Jack Rosenthal's Fairfax Honda handled this situation. I had new pads and rotors placed in the car on November 3, 2012. The problems were not resolved. In fact they got worse. After a mere 4000 miles, the brakes are "grabbing"; the initial point of braking applied changes with each application of the brakes; when I stop at a light 0 the car feels like I am pulling back on a raceshorse. These brakes are unsafe, not trustworthy. Even worse is the fact that if I am going over 30 miles per hour the car feels like the ABS is engaged. You can feel the car braking in a "stutter pattern".

Yesterday, I was driving home, and for the first time I could feel that the brakes did not disengage when I started from a stoplight. It was rush hour and of course the traffic was moving slowly. THESE BRAKES ARE NOT DISENGAGING FROM THE ROTORS. That along can cause premature wear. This is not only an issue of the car heavier than the brakes. This is a design defect. The brake is not releasing from the rotor appropiatly. Maybe it needs a stronger spring. The car also pulls - the brakes are not being applied evenly.

Then when I researched the brakes, I found that there had been a settlement with Honda in 2010. Not only did I bring the car in for repair in Nov 2012 - they didn't even offer me a rebate or anything. At best they should have given me the correct brakes and calibrated them correctly since the car was under warranty and it was a known defect.

5000 MILES IN THE SECOND SET OF PADS AND ROTORS.

These brakes are unsafe. They should be recalled for all cars having those brakes. Rebates are not sufficient. Honda should be required to replace all the brakes with the ones that they have successfully used in the 2010 through 2013 Honda Accords.

- , Fairfax, VA, USA

May 242012

Accord EX 2.4L

I believe that the new design they used for the handbrake system is a design flaw. I just replaced the rear brakes pads for the fifth time. This time it almost ruined the rotors. This is the first time to experience the rear brake pads wear out quickly than the front brakes. At 98000 miles, I replaced the front brakes onced only, last March. But the rear brakes five times as of today. With racing and car maintenance experience, I took it upon myself to scrutinize and look closely what's causing the premature wear. Here is my findings,

The new handbrake design on the accord is that when the hand brake is applied, the brake piston screws out to hold the pads but it does not screw back in completely to release the pads when the handbrake is released. I noticed this when I took out the brake caliper to remove the pads ( the outer pad is completely worn out and the inner pad just about the noise indicator). The only way to depress the piston or screw in is to open the bleed valve and screw in the piston using Any improvised tool that will fit the cross slot on the piston face ( like tightening a screw with a regular or Philips screw driver) until it is totally in so that the new pads will fit when caliper is installed back. This I believe is a DESIGN FLAW and must be corrected. The old handbrake system was working and still working properly. Two separate brakes shoes held by pins and springs automatic/ manual ,screw adjuster are assembled to the brake support plate. This design is being used on my Honda pilot 2006 and CRV 2004. Both all wheel brake disk system with a working hand brake assembly system.

- , Mohegan Lake, NY, USA

Feb 102011

Accord LX 4 cyl

Rear brakes replaced at 7800 miles. Rear had to be replaced at 13500 . Front and rear rotors went also. I head Honda is using Chinese parts. What happen to the quality of the old Honda's I once new. Buy American. My front seats are awfully uncomfortable. My 2007 Honda Odyssey Touring at 19000 miles on it had to have power steering pump replaced. What the Heck !!

- , Sterlig, VA, USA

Feb 092013

Accord

I believe I am having the same issue with my 2009 Accord. I recently have been hearing a loud "chain dragging" type noise coming from the rear of my car. I was thinking brakes, but thought it was crazy because I only have about 33,000 miles on my car. I'm wondering if I should take it to a Honda dealer or just bring it to my mechanic that I trust. Is Honda going to do anything about it at this point? Is it too late to join the class action suit? Do I have to get it repaired at Honda or can my mechanic do it for the purpose of the class action suit?

- , Rochelle Park, NJ, USA

Jan 012013

Accord LX-P 1-4

I bought my 2009 Honda Accord LX-P brand new, I realize a strange noise coming from the rear, but was not sure what it was, never thought about brakes because it only had 15,000 miles!!!! After a google search I noticed honda was aware of it, I had to pay out of pocket like $275 to get them fixed and they only refunded a portion of it, My car is now 15000 miles and again it has break problems, it starts vibrating when I brake, I hate to have my car like that because it seems like you are driving a junk, have any body heard of honda changing the brakes again??? Honda is not very good informing owners of recalls and factory issues, when I had to renew my registration, dmv didn't want to give me my sticker because of a smog recall on this model.. I never received any notice from honda. This is my first Honda car that I buy new and I don't know if I'll ever buy another one again, in fact we just bought a new minivan and did not choose the Honda we bought a Toyota, even my Previous GMC Yukon never ever game me a single problem, I sold it with 65000 miles on it and I never changed the brakes.

One more think that I just remember about this Honda is the stupid Key fob.. I think I have at least changed the battery like 3 times to each one of them, I told my advisor the other day and they know it and they wanted me to buy a new module and that it would cost $60 alone. I was like huh???

Anyways, Hondas may last very long and Motor and Engine may be the best, but there is a lot of minor issues that you have to deal with.

I'm sure my next car won't be a honda.

- , San Mateo, CA, USA

Mar 072013

Accord ELX 4v

TODAY I BROUGHT MY 2009 HONDA ACCORD INTO THE PHILLIPSBURG/EASTON HONDA DEALER TO HAVE MY REAR BRAKES CHECKED... I HAVE 22,000 MILES ON MY VEHICLE WHEN I WAS TOLD THAT I WOULD NEED NEW REAR BRAKE PADS.. THE COST WOULD BE $289.00 TO HAVE THEM REPAIRED. I HAD NO OTHER CHOICE BUT TO HAVE THEM REPAIRED BUT I WOULD NEVER EVER BUY A HONDA CAR AGAIN.

- , Phillipsburg, NJ, US

May 282013

Accord Luxury V6

When warmed up there is a loud "hydraulic" noise in the cabin when the brakes are activated. Also a "grinding/scraping" noise from the right side wheels when braking and sometimes when not. Discs do not seem to be hot to touch.

- , Labrador, Queensland, Australia

May 172013

Accord LX 2.4L

Well, I have a 2009 Honda Accord Coupe with only 35,000 miles on it, and guess what? The rear brakes are worn out! Honda says it's normal wear. What a bunch of BS. Seems there are to many to mention complaints about rear brakes wearing out before the front brakes. What a coincidence Honda that numerous Accord owners are having this problem and a class action lawsuit was filed against Honda.

Looks like the engineers at Honda messed this up. Hope they don't get jobs in the aerospace industry! Oooops that plane ran off the runway due to premature brake failure.

First Honda I have ever purchased and will be the last. Goin back to Toyota.

- , Middletown, OH, USA

Apr 012013

Accord

I brought my car in for a state inspection to the dealer I purchased it from. (First inspection after purchase is free). During the inspection they informed me that the rear brakes were worn down, and the rotors needed turning, but they would cover it as part of the extended warrantee. It has been 19,000 miles since I bought the car and they told me they replaced the rear brakes just prior to my purchase, because it was to be a "certified" used car. I did hear grinding of the brakes a few times when the car was cold but it went away the 2 or 3 times I heard it, so I assumed it was just debris, that worked its way out. I have purchased 2 used cars in 8 months from this dealership, and my mother in law also purchased 1 new and 1 used car from them. We both totaled the first cars we bought. The dealership in question is Friendly Honda in Poughkeepsie NY. I think so far the dealership has done the right thing by me. (So far).

- , Pleasant Valley, NY, USA

Feb 252013

Accord LX

I bought my 2009 Honda Accord in June 2012, from an honest, private owner who owned it for a year and was moving out of state. He told me the dealer said it was flat spots on the tires that were making the noise. He had replaced the brakes before I bought it.

I put new tires on the car in November and was told that the rotors were warped and should be replaced. I took it back (an honest mechanic) in February because it smelled like something was burning and a loud grinding sound every time I used the brakes. The brakes that were marked brand new for inspection in November, were ground down thin and the caliper was sticking. I was told when it was put up on the lift and running, that the brakes glowed, that it was that hot.

I put on new brakes, new routers, caliper and the car is now doing the same thing. It vibrates the floor when driving on the highway.

This problem should have been fixed before it was resold by the dealer. I have put a lot of money into the car and still have the same problem. Honda should be paying to fix it and reimbursing me for what I spent.

- , Harrisburg, PA, USA

Apr 292013

Accord LX 4.0L

I am astounded that my 2009 Honda Accord has to have the rear brakes replaced when there is less than 34,000 miles on it. I've had many other cars and have not had a problem like this. It's obvious Honda has a problem they need to address. I have no choice but to have the brakes repaired.

- , Scarborough, ME, USA

Nov 052012

Accord EX 2.4L V4

Why not everyone has the sane problem speak out to push for a class action?

- , Lumberton, NJ, US

Dec 312012

Accord EX V6

Rear brakes wore way too quickly. Had to get replaced at 26K miles.

- , Monroe, WI, USA

Jan 022013

Accord LX 2.4L

Brakes are worn out and we have only 39000 miles on the car!!, They should last way longer than this!! Of course we are 3000 miles over warranty and Honda knows this is a problem and will not do anything to help us on this!!! I BUY A NEWER CAR AND STILL HAVE TO FIX ISSUES!!!

- , Letts, IA, USA

Nov 062012

Accord 4 cyl

I should not be replacing rear brakes with only 33000 miles on the car. The front brakes had been repaired with less than 10000 because of a bulletin. This is ridiculous. I had a camry with 60000 and never had brake problems. I caught the problem before the rotors went thank goodness.

- , Sumter, SC, USA

Jun 042011

Accord LX-P 2.4L

This is a problem for sure. Lucky I found out about the problem early, was able to temporary address it and not have it became a safety issue. I would not want to find out what could of happened while traveling at highway speed with defective brakes, and needed to stop quickly.

I am sure some less knowledgeable owners are no so lucky.

Update from Jul 5, 2015: Good News, I replaced the defected rear brake pads with new updated/improved part# (at 21k miles), and just checked all four at 60k miles, and they look like new...minimal wear. They need to do the same with that VTC Actuator problem, more money out of my packet.

- , San Lorenzo, CA, USA

Dec 142012

Accord

This problem was first addressed at 31,000 miles and now it is back again at 61,000. The dealer was not forthcoming that there was an issue with the brakes. I have submitted the first claim and am annoyed that it appears it will be an ongoing issue.

- , Center Conway, NH, USA

Dec 122012

Accord LX 3.2L

I will never ever buy another Honda. I have had nothing but problems with this car since I purchased it. I read where many people were complaining because they had 30,000. miles on their car and had to replace the rear brakes. Well - I only had 13,000 miles on my car and you guessed it - I had to already replace the breaks. I called Honda and they did not want to listen to me even though there is a class action suit against them. Next time I will buy a Ford as I am soooo unhappy with Honda. I asked the service person if they read the complaints about them and they responded No. Well maybe they should start. Do Not Buy A Honda.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 272012

Accord ES 2.4L

Rear brakes should not wear out on a new vehicle that is only 3 years old and only has 30000 miles!

- , Kaysville, UT, US

Aug 182012

Accord V6

This complaint is regarding my 2009 Honda Accord and the fact that Alberta Honda charged me $328.27 to fix Faulty Rear Brakes that should have at the very least been partially covered under the existing warranty.

Here is a link to an article that talks about the Honda Rear Brake problem: http://www.hondaproblems.com/Accord/premature-brake-wear.shtml

I had this same problem with the rear brakes on my 2009 Honda Accord. However, I was not told that this was an on-going issue with Honda, and even after I brought it to the attention of Alberta Honda, they shrugged me off. After a 20 minute meeting with the Service Manager DAVID ELGIE on August 20th, who was very much aware of all the rear brake issues on many Honda's, I was told I had to deal with Honda Canada. Even after I told him they had totally put me on ignore he was very clear in saying, in order to get my car back I had to pay the full price for the repair of $328.27, plus the original oil change, which came to a total of $576.55, including tax.

And there's more. It turns out Millwoods Honda had the car in for brake repairs in May of 2009, as I have a receipt given to me by the previous owner. The receipt clearly shows that they fixed the front brakes by installing new Brake Pads and V-Springs, but did absolutely nothing to the rear brakes, which should have clearly showed excessive brake pad wear at the time with 9736 Kms on the vehicle. Furthermore, Honda dealerships all across Canada have been aware of this problem since 2008 and to this day they are not telling any customers about the manufacturer's defect involving Brake Pads (and sticky V-Springs and Caliper Pin Bolt, according to Service Manager DAVID ELGIE, but rather charging them $300 to $400 dollars for the repair, and $600 more plus labour costs if the rotors have to be replaced!

Below is a copy of the email I sent to Honda Canada on August 18, 2012, which received no reply.

--------------

Dear Sir or Madam:

Today I took my 2009 Honda Accord into Alberta Honda for the first Oil Change A12 at 46K Km. During this time I was told that my rear brake pads were almost worn to the rotors and that I had to replace them immediately for another $320 plus parts, etc. I thought it was very strange to have excessive rear pad wear on a front-wheel drive car. I found that these cars have defective parts in that regard and that Honda agreed in a (US) class action suit to pay $150.00 for the repair. I want to know how to go about collecting this money, which will help off-set my expenses for something that I feel should have been completely covered under warranty for defective parts.

Regards,

--------------

After getting no response I sent 2 more emails, which made a Honda Canada rep named Jean call me on August 23rd, asking me to fax him a copy of my receipt. I immediately did this within minutes including a cover letter, but to this day there has been no further response, even after I faxed the same person a Follow-up Request on September 3rd, 2012. At this point Honda Canada and Alberta Honda have both put me on total ignore.

In order to resolve this complaint I feel I should be compensated for half of the total repair ($164.14).

- , Edmonton, AB, canada