2016 Honda Accord electrical problems: battery dies prematurely

Battery Dies Prematurely

2016 Honda Accord

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

6.9

$140

1. new battery (6 reports)
  3. check fluid levels; replace battery under warranty (1 reports)
2016 Honda Accord electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda Accord:

2016 Honda Accord Owner Comments

May 172019

Accord EX

1st time it happened on 02/06/2017 mileage was 9410. 2nd time 10/25/2018 and 3rd happened yesterday on 05/17/2019.

- Jagdeep M., San Jose, CA, US

Dec 082017

Accord Sport

I leased a new 2016 Accord Sport, March of 2016. Throughout the fall of 2017 the car died and needed to be jumped several times (Original Honda battery still in it). The final straw was when the car stranded me and my kids at the gas station. I tried to jump it like normal and it wouldn't start. I called my insurance to have it towed home (5 minutes away) and the tow driver jumped it. It started and he told me to drive it home and get a tech to look at it the next morning. I ended up replacing that battery (a year and a half old) and put in a new battery in October 2017.

Now, April 29, 2019 I am being told that my dash maintenance indicators that are all on are as a result of the sensors not getting enough power from the battery? So if I replace this battery, it will be the 3rd battery installed in this 2016 Honda in 3 years??? This cannot be normal? I have checked for recalls on my VIN and it is not covered by the only battery recall right now which is for the battery case not covering the battery enough and water is causing shorts/malfunctions and possible fire hazard? I have seen hundreds of complaints of batteries in these 2016 Accords and Civics.

Does anyone know a way around replacing and having Honda cover these batteries? This is a $27k car! 3 batteries in 3 years is ridiculous, and NOT cheap! Thanks!

- Brandi O., Troy, US

Jul 252018

Accord EX V6

The first time the car didn't start, July 2018, I had driven about 200 miles the day before, but I had been using both of the car's USB ports to charge my electronics. I assumed that my use of the USB ports was the culprit for draining the battery, because it should have been charged after driving so far the day before. I found a fellow motorist to jump me and I haven't used my car's USB ports since.

About a week later, there were 2 mornings where the car started, but it took longer than normal to turn over and I suspected the battery again. At this point I went and bought a portable battery & jump start kit so that I could jump myself if I needed to without having to wait for another motorist, in case it wouldn't start.

The following week (2 weeks after the first time my Accord didn't start), it didn't start. I jumped myself with my new jump start kit, drove around for about 30 minutes, and didn't have any issues starting it for the rest of the day. I called the dealer in Napa, CA where I bought my Accord new, and since I was out of town, they recommended I contact a Honda dealer that was closest to me.

I called the nearest Honda dealer in Fairbanks, AK, and they explained that even though my car is only 2 years old, I'm past the 36,000 mile warranty (I'm at 55,000 miles). They quoted me $170 to replace and install a new battery. The battery is either draining too fast or it isn't holding the charge. I'm on a road trip, so I'm definitely driving enough to theoretically keep the battery fully charged every day. I haven't used the USB ports since the first incident.

I do not leave the lights on, and I turned the radio and AC/ heat off so I don't know what could possibly be draining it over night. Also, the overnight lows where I have been on this trip, haven't dipped below freezing. The average morning temp when I attempt to start the car and need to jump myself has been 43 degrees F with humidity.

- ss2016, Napa, CA, US

Jun 072018

Accord Touring V6

The vehicle is 2 years old and for a battery to die...is ridiculous. It wasn't winter the beginning of summer and my battery only had 10AMPs..

What is Honda doing?

- reddrumm, Nyc, US

Dec 102017

Accord Sport 2.4L

• CVT transmission

I drive this car maybe 2 times per week. When I do drive it, I put some miles on it and enough to keep the battery charged up (in theory).

Car sat for about 5 days and yes, it is cooler outside but nowhere near freezing in Phoenix, AZ. I went to pick up my son from the airport and the car was slow to crank over like the battery was weak. I disconnected the battery, cleaned the terminals, charged the battery on a charger, re-installed the battery and problem solved. Should not be happening over 5 days on a new car that is less than 2 years old. Honda is not making cars like they use to, that's 100% for sure.

Update from Jun 5, 2019: Battery replaced May 2019 under warranty.

Battery was soo dry, I could not see water inside the cells (not good)

Battery not holding proper charge, correcting fluid level did not resolve problem

- monty4169rm, Phoenix, AZ, US

Jan 142018

Accord EX

Car is two years old. I didn't drive it for about a week, and temps got cold. Battery died, car wouldn't start. A jump brought it back to life, and I drove it for about an hour to charge it. Because the battery was only 2 years old, I took it to our mechanic to see if there was something wrong with it. They said it was low on charge, even after an hour's driving, and charged it fully at their garage. They were surprised it went dead so quickly. If it dies again, I'll have to take it to the dealership (ugh).

- twitchly, Plymouth, US

Sep 042017

Accord Sport 2.4L

• CVT transmission

Battery Died ...Went out to start, cranked over slowly, but did start up, then I drove it for about 5 miles, went to retry started fine, Made it home, car sat over night, went to start car in the morning, did not crank over was dragging, I had to put it on a charge. once fully charge started up just fine, however after siting for approx 6hrs went to start again same non crank issues. Replace the Battery, issues gone. Car cranks, starts fine.

- Michael A., Jacksonville, US

Sep 012016

Accord Sport V6

The dealership has replaced the battery twice. We have to keep jump starting the car. I guess if I had a penis, the dealership would listen. WE ARE NOT LEAVING ANYTHING ON TO DRAIN THE BATTERY.

- Jennifer R., Fayetteville, US

Oct 122016

Accord

I purchased a brand new Honda Accord from Curry Honda in April 2016 and in October I went to crank up the car for work and nothing would start. Called Curry had the car towed to them and it was the battery, completely dead. I could not believe I was left stranded with a brand new car purchase. this was the first issue.

- Wendy S., Covington, GA, US