6.5

$440

2. repair actuator valve (9 reports)
2012 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda CR-V:

2012 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 012020

CR-V EXL 2.4L

Add another victim to the list. 2012 Honda CRV bites yet again at approx 70k. First off, thanks to all of you that took the time to write a review. It's been immensely helpful.

My rattle upon start-up began about 6 months after I purchased the vehicle when it got cold out. (Pretty sure I know why the previous owners dumped this vehicle) Have not fixed it yet. Looks like there is no fix. Honda is giving me the same song and dance about how the oil wasn't changed properly. That's a lie, I have the records. Was told to have the VTC Accuator and timing belt changed with a cost of $1,500.00. I have begun to hear a ticking for the first 5 to 10 minutes it warms up. That can't be good. No engine lights have come on.

Probably going to buy a new car. I'm not inclined to deal with car issues which is why I bought a Honda in the first place. Promise I won't be buying another Honda.

- Deborah C., Mt Pleasant, US

Nov 012012

CR-V LX 4 cyl

I have a 2012 Honda CRV the VCT Actuator was replaced in 2012 , 2014 and 2016. The noise is back again since cold weather is here. Call Honda customer service and was told that is is my problem to get fix at my cost. This has been an ongoing problem with this vehicle. You would think after replacing the same part 3 times you would think there is a failure here. Why should I pay for it. From reading the posts I think we need a lawyer to stand up for us!

- Neil D., Tonawanda, US

Dec 272017

CR-V LX

I have a 2012 CRV that started making the grinding noise on start up this past winter at about 93,000 miles. I was very concerned, took it to the Honda dealership and was told it was likely the VCT actuator. The Honda technician told me that it wasn't a problem that needed to be fixed, that nothing was actually wrong with the car. But if the noise bothered me then I could replace it for $650. I decided to deal with the noise, OBVIOUSLY. Except that now it's summer and it makes this noise at least once a day when I start it up. I already had to deal with a total rear differential replacement at 39,000 miles that apparently is faulty in a number of 2012 CRVs but they won't issue a recall. The dealership fought with Honda to cover that cost which was $3500 - and Honda DID end of covering that. But I just paid my car off this month and I DO NOT want to pay $650 for this repair. The noise is very annoying and concerning, though.

- Jen G., Harrisburg, US

Sep 012017

CR-V

I recently noticed a loud, grinding noise on start up, particularly if the car had not been started in a few hours. After some research online, I was convinced that it was the VTC actuator. I took it to Honda and let the service technician know that I was fairly certain I knew what the problem was and that it seems to be a relatively common problem with this model vehicle. He agreed but stated that the repair would cost me over $650.00 because the car was no longer under warranty. I fought it and somehow managed to get the price down to around $100.00. I was adamant that there should have been a recall given the number of complaints online...and I wasn't going to accept a $650 repair bill. Although I am satisfied that I was able to negotiate the price, I am stunned by the initial upcharge and the fact that Honda has not taken responsibility for such an obvious defect. I won't purchase another Honda.

- kate518, Albany, US

Aug 102017

• CVT transmission

There are HUNDREDS of this exact complaint for this exact car. It should have been a recall item. Terrible to have to pay $773.00 for an engine repair on a car with 40k miles (gently used by old lady) on it. Honda is totally liable for this.

- Maggie G., Reno, US

Jan 092017

CR-V EV

Sometimes when starting the car, there is a grinding sound that lasts for 1-2 seconds and then stops.

- 2012 crv, Owens Crossroads, AL, US

Jan 012017

CR-V EX-L 4cy

Let me start by saying we have a 2012 CRV EX-L and a 2012 Accord Ex-L. Bought the first Accord in 2003 then 2006 Accord then the 2012's. Had the 2002 Accord till last year 230,000 5 speed the best car I have ever owned. This is very troubling to me about the engine grinding when vehicle is cold. I am being told it is the VTC Actuator. How do we get Honda to fix this!

Thanks

Gil Miller

- Gil M., Charlotte, NC, US

Feb 012013

CR-V

As others said, because Honda is ignoring this very embarrassing engine noise on start - I will never buy another Honda.

- Bonita F., Baltimore, MD, US

Apr 012015

CR-V ES

Purchased this CR-V for my daughter in 2014 for safety reasons for college back and forth driving thinking I was getting another great Honda purchase and a product that never has issues since I have owned several Honda's in the past. Man was I WRONG!!! I traded in a perfectly good 2010 Ex Civic Honda that only had 6 months of payment. I was blindsided by the Great Lakes Honda in Akron, Ohio and never told of this issue when purchased!!!

This Honda started making this noise 2000 miles into owning it and kept getting the run around until I went online to see this has been an issue for several years an Honda isn't standing behind their product!! So in other words Honda stabbed me in the back and lied straight to my face!!

Shouldn't this have been a LEMON LAW issue?? AND WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I GO TO TRADE IN THIS PIECE OF SH*T/?? I'M SURE THE TRADE IN VALUE WILL NOT BE TOP DOLLAR LIKE MOST HONDA'S SHOULD WHEN ALL DEALERS KNOW OF THIS ISSUE WITH THIS YEAR HONDA!!

This grinding happens on all starts know doesn't matter how long it sits or temperature it is!! THIS SOUND IS SO EMBARRASSING!!! I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER HONDA PRODUCT SINCE THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THE PRODUCT AND FIX THERE ON GOING ISSUES THEY ALWAYS KNEW ABOUT!!!

- Kelli R., Painesville, OH, US

Jan 012015

CR-V EX 4

HONDA MUST FIX THIS BAD GRINDING PROBLEM WHEN STARTING.

- Mike S., Kent, OH, US

Jun 122013

CR-V

It is very embarrassing when starting my car. People think that I do not have the money to fix the problem. However, I make sure to inform those stand-bys, that Honda is aware of the problem, but are not very concerned about the issue because it does not harm anything. Their words. Actually, their words were we don't hear any noise, we haven't heard any complaints. Then one day a Honda service tech made me aware that they are aware of the issue and for me not to worry about it, because it doesn't hurt anything. If I pay $32000 for a vehicle I do NOT want to or feel like I should just deal with it. Especially when they know that it is an issue. Very embarrassing. Sitting in the school line, at church, coming out of nice restaurants, starting up at funerals. I mean really????

- nicholec2211rc, Fountain Inn, US

Sep 062015

CR-V LX

I could list this as a complaint over 200 times. Every time I start the car it GRINDS and it appears to be getting worse,.

- M P., Atlanta, GA, US

Oct 212015

CR-V EX 3.2L

The car has this annoying grinding noise when starting after being idle overnight. It happens in both cold and normal weather.

- N D., Princeton, NJ, US

Oct 152014

CR-V LX 2.4L

My husband and I purchased our 2012 Honda CR-V new and approximately in the fall of 2014 it started making a grinding noise upon cold starts. Do not really have the noise when the weather is warm. We went to our local dealer where we purchased it and was told it was basically normal. Sometimes it happens because of the cold weather but not to worry. We are worried!! Seems the issue is getting worse. Very loud!! Been reading that it could be the VTC Actuator. Want this issue resolved!! FIX IT Please!!!

- Sandy B., Sycamore, IL, US

Dec 162015

CR-V EX-L 2.4L 4 cyl

grinding noise when starting car during cold weather

Add me to list of owners hearing the grinding noise from VTC actuator. 2102 CR-V... I will update later after I research this issue more.

- Rick H., Zanesville, OH, US

Aug 032015

CR-V LX 4

Right now Honda is aware of the problem. They said they will have a fix eventually. It doesn't do harm, the sound is just annoying and concerning if you don't know what it is.

- sammilwaukee, Milwaukee, WI, US

Dec 212015

CR-V EX-L

The grinding noise happens on startup, usually when its cold. Dealer made the car stay overnight and said 'they dont hear the noise'

I seriously hate Honda.

- zha, Spring, TX, US

Nov 252015

CR-V

The car makes a loud rattle noise for a second when the car is started after the engine has not been started over night or when the engine is cold.

- Tamie A., Texarkana, AR, US

Oct 302015

CR-V

Found this site looking for an answer to this problem. Will talk to Honda and my mechanic and see what they say. This issue is very annoying.

- Patrick C., Saratoga Springs, NY, US

Feb 102015

CR-V

This is a well known and documented problem. Has been going on since at least 2014. All over the web. Honda is in no hurry to fix this. And dealerships could care less. We bought the car used last year 14. The salesman said his wife has the same car. But failed to mention this was an ongoing issue. My first and last honda. And I will tell kids grandkids and anyone who listens. Don't buy Honda. They will not stand behind their products.

- Ken B., Moline, IL, US