ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 Honda CR-V has a trend of engine hesitation when accelerating.

Honda has tried to fix this delayed acceleration with a software update, but many owners report it didn't fix the problem.

This defect trend is not quite bad enough yet for us to slap on the "Beware of the Clunker" seal. But it's a concern & definitely something to keep in mind for a test drive.

2014 Honda CR-V miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Honda CR-V:

2014 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 022017

CR-V

Hatch switch/handle does not work when the weather becomes colder. I have seen this issue in many forums and it affects even current models. When it warms up outside then it works again. This sure seems like a design defect which Honda should address via a TB and recall to fix.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Nov 072018

CR-V

When heater is on, cold air comes out of drivers side vents and hot air out of the passenger side vents. It sounds like a problem with the heater core.

- East Islip, NY, USA

Oct 022017

CR-V

When thew heater is activated, the drivers side does not heat. This is a known issue per tsb# 14-063, atb 00239-01113 rev1 (1411). This complaint is all over the net and the dealer will not touch it...unless I pay a high price to repair a poorly engineered heater core.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 262018

CR-V

April 26, 2018 I bought my wife's Honda 2014 CR-V new in October of 2014. We are both quite happy with the car, with one significant exception. The TPMS does not work. In 2014 Honda changed their TPMS from the conventional system which uses pressure sensors in the wheels. Instead, it compares the revolutions of the tires on the theory that a low tire will rotate faster than a normally inflated tire. This is a good idea in theory. However, in practice it does not work. The software must account for the fact that the tires do not rotate equally on turns. Also, slight (and accceptable) differences in pressure or tire wear will result in errors that the software must deal with. Honda issued tsb 14-006 in an attempt to remedy the problem, but if it has been applied to our car it has not worked. The TPMS light on our CR-V is unreliable. It occasionally lights when the tires are ok, but has failed to indicate low or flat tires for us several times. My wife went to the dealer in prescott, AZ, this morning to ask whether tsb 14ż006 has been applied to the car. The reply was that there is no recall and if the TPMS light does not stay on, there is no need to do it. We can live with a non-functional TPMS system. Our previous cars worked well without it. Our normal maintenance procedures require checking tire pressures periodically. For some reason this car does not pull to the side when a tire goes flat. A TPMS should flag a tire failure when on the road. Three times we have had a tire fail while driving, with no TPMS indication. Our loss has been only three tires; no accident resulted. In my opinion this is potentially a serious safety problem.

- Young, AZ, USA

Aug 012015

CR-V

It started about 1yr after getting this CRV, upon cranking making a grinding noise I took to shop several times they did they couldn't find anything wrong, now here lately I've had to boost of my CRV several times, do I took to shop to check battery which is fine, I don't have time nor money to keep going to shop to not have anything done. I desperatly am afraid to go anywhere other than work in fear it wont crank. It acts like it wanrs to turn over but doesn't then sometimes it cranks right up. I feel as though this is a lemon & Honda should have to do something for the ones that are going through this crap. I thought Honda was a reliable vehicle. I traded in nissian for this ughh

- Terry, MS, USA

Feb 062018

CR-V

The original battery of my Honda CRV keeps dying. Local Honda dealer did not cover the replacement and I have to pay $200 out of my pocket to replace. Its been only 3 years since I purchased the car and the battery is already draining out. I have been stranded in unsafe places as a result, waiting for roadside assistance to come jumpstart the car. When I took it to the local Honda dealer (dublin Honda), they said the battery is faulty and its not covered under warranty and I have to pay out of pocket to replace it. I ended up paying $200 for replacement of battery and all the inconvenience of getting stranded at unsafe, unsecure places with my family in the car.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA

Dec 022017

CR-V

Honda CRV 2014 noice in the engine when IżM driving the car and is annoying very bad. Night light is not working correctly the light is not bright an accident can happen ac a gas smell is coming from inside the

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 012017

CR-V

Rear door latch won't open in cold weather. This started when the car was just 2 years old. Now 3 1/2 and needs replacement.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Dec 222017

CR-V

2014 Honda CR-V, LX do not have floor vent working on passenger side. This was just noticed in a very cold weather and had to have elderly passenger to Transport. So far there was no other rider in this vehicle because we had the other vehicle for such use. The driver side floor vent was blowing burning hot air, while it is freezing cold on passenger side floor area.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Oct 022017

CR-V

At cold start-up, the engine rattles loudly for about 2 seconds. This only occurs on the first start of the day. I would like to note dot Honda service bulletin sb-10041669-6712 has not been updated since October 6,2012 and therefor only covers Honda CR-V's up until 2012. This issue is easily found on Honda forums such as hondaproblems.com and multiple times here: Https://Honda-tech.com/forums/Honda-element-CR-V-156/2014-CR-V-grinding-noise-start-up-3228595/ 5 years for a service bulletin update is simply irresponsible problem management on Honda's behalf. The supporting evidence is readily available from many CR-V owners on forums, not to mention the large amount of complaints directly on the NHTSA website. Correct this issue and take action.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Nov 112017

CR-V

Tire pressure monitoring constantly goes on when tires are good.

- Oak Lawn, IL, USA

Sep 012017

CR-V

Tire pressure warning light comes on when pressure is fine and/or comes back on after recalibration and correct pressure in tires in confirmed. Has done this for 3 years, intermittently. Honda won't deal with the problem because they can't replicate it.

Sep 012017

CR-V

Car has a loud rattle or grinding sound on a cold startup. Last a couple of seconds then goes away. Has done this for 3 years, since I got it.

Sep 072017

CR-V

Air is getting into the passenger side probably through defective window seal. May be door glass separation from regulator. Has been this way for three years. Honda won't deal with it.

Sep 072017

CR-V

Car hesitates and then may surge on acceleration, especially from full stop, rolling stop, or low speed, as in highway merging. I suspect the transmission. It is intermittent, at least several times/week from 2014-2017. Honda won't address it because they say they can't replicate it.

Aug 112017

CR-V

Within the last 5 to 6 months, my vehicle keeps cutting off. I would need to get someone to jump me. The battery was checked and the starter and alternator. A new stater was put in on last Friday and Sunday it did the exact same thing. I needed a jump but it would only jump after sitting for an hour or so. My vehicle is now in the shop again due to the same issues. I'm a widow and I dont know much about cars but I know this problem shouldn't be happening so frequently.

- Montgomery Village, MD, USA

Aug 072017

CR-V

This present day my car makes a sreaming noise like belt is bad they changed the belt the alternator and something else and they can not find the problem. I asked for a 2017 when I came in to buy a vehicle the dealer insisted on me getting this 2014 when I asked multipul times for a 2017 he said this is a good deal. The first day I got it 6/16/2017 the vibartion was bad I had to bring it back 6/17/2107 they had it 4 days. I picked it up and on the same day the lights were dimming. Sat moorning I reported the issue. 3pm I got in the vehicle to change my shift at work it would not start. The man who came to tow it could not start it on arivial. Mon 6/22/2017 I came in and demanded a new car like I requested when I came in because this vehicle was having to many problems for me to be paying $25,643. The dealer wanted to give me 1,000 less than I paid for it and charge me $32,300 for a Honda CRV LX 4WD thats marked 27,285 online. I refused to pay that and felt like I am being cheated. He said the problem could be minor let them fix it. I am paying $25,643 for this car and its been in the shop 3xs within 2 months. They want me to keep this car and I keep requesting a 2017 because thats what I came in for and the dealer sat back in his chair and keap telling me the 2014 Honda exl is a good deal and did not show me the 2017 he wanted me to get the 2014 Honda CRV exl when I wanted a 2017 LX special adition 4WD. I admit it is a nice vehicle but it has too many problems and I want my money back and get the 2017 LX CRV I requested and I want a different deal thats not going to cheat me out of my money. South hills was honest they was giving me 2017 for 400 amonth at $27,285 when my credit came up and at the time it did it was fair

- Hazelwood, PA, USA

Jul 252017

CR-V

On the morning of July 25th, 2017, I observed a problem with the rear window in my 2014 Honda CRV. Unlocking and opening the driver's door to put something in and then closing the door, I heard a loud crunching noise coming from the rear of the car. The driver's door was opened again and I got into the car and shut the door. Again the same crunching noise was heard. Looking in the rear-view mirror, I observed the rear window had shattered into a "million" pieces. The noise that was heard was the pieces of glass dropping out of the window. In addition to the glass in the middle of the window that was dropping out, I observed the edges around the glass were also missing (had fallen out). I am the only driver of the car and do not remember anything hitting the window from the outside or inside. All the doors had been locked so it does not appear to be attempted burglary. It is presumed that the glass shattered and imploded due to defective glass manufacturing and/or installation. The temperatures in our area can reach 100 during the day and down to 65 during the night.

- Kennewick, WA, USA

Jul 172017

CR-V

I have owned 2014 CR-V for 3 & half years since it was new. The indirect TPMS warning system has never been correct, it always gives false readings. When I picked up a nail in one tire, the warning light never came on even though the tire pressure dropped by over 50%. when the warning light does come on, I check all tires and they are all fine - every time. After multiple frustrating trips to dealer, the best they could do was a software update. Now instead of false warnings 3 -4 times a month, now I get false warnings 3 - 4 times a year. But the warnings are always false! like the little boy that keeps crying wolf, this system is counter productive in that owners will begin to ignore the warning system altogether.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

May 292017

CR-V

I was parking in a parking space behind a parked car in front of my car. I applied the brakes, and my car lunged forward with a tremendous acceleration and hit the parked car in front of me. At least, almost $5,000 in damage was done.

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA