2018 Honda CR-V brakes problems: spontaneous braking

Spontaneous Braking

2018 Honda CR-V

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: It's rare when a newer vehicle has defect trends. Judging from the identical 2017 model year, the 2018 Honda CR-V is likely to have at least two — overfilled oil levels with a gas smell, & heat not working.

Both problems affecting the Honda CR-V's 1.5L "Earth Dreams" engine appear to be related to cold-climate regions.

CR-V owners report overfilled oil levels due to fuel in the oil, & sometimes a gas smell in the cabin. That problem appears to be related to fuel injection which Honda hopes to fix via a software update. Honda so far has only conducted a recall in China & a "product update" in Canada.

CR-V owners also report no heat even after warming up their CR-Vs for 30 minutes — not even enough to defrost the windshield. So far, there has been no fix from Honda for this issue.

7.7

2018 Honda CR-V brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Honda CR-V:

2018 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Jul 242019

CR-V EX-L

My wife was driving the vehicle at about 35 MPH on a straight section of road when the Collision Mitigation Braking System activated bringing the car to a sudden and complete stop. Cargo in the rear compartment crashed into the back of the driver seat. There were no other cars ahead of or behind her. There was nothing in the road or on the side of the road to cause the system to activate. Our concern is that this will happen when traveling at higher speeds on a highway with truck traffic and cause a rear end collision. We have had this vehicle for 8 months. The braking system had activated one other time but only slowed the vehicle rather than causing a complete stop that time.

- Doug S., HARRISBURG, PA, US

May 222019

CR-V EX 1.5L

I echo some other comments on this issue of Honda collision avoidance system engaging the brakes. Car is going on 10 months old and with no apparent reason lays on the brakes when not needed. Have nearly been rear-ended on several occasions. Seems to happen more often at one intersection while heading out of town. Some times its not so violent, but other times the brakes really grab and nearly bring me to a stop in the intersection. Thought maybe it was weather related, or some type of RFI in the area, but can't nail it down. Happens at other locations, mostly intersections, around town. Seems to have let off a bit as weather improves, but then out of the blue will startle me again when not expected. I have a front/rear dashcam always going, so episodes are recorded. If there's a rear-end collision, it'll all be on video. I would say I've had at least 50 occurrences to date, one as recently as yesterday.

- David D., Cascade, US

Apr 232019

CR-V Touring

Three times in the last year my front end collision mitigation has braked without anything being in front of me. None of them have been at high speed so I have been trying to remember to turn it off each time I start the car. It's a pain.

- Rebecca B., Conroe, TX, US

Mar 012019

CR-V EX-L

The collision avoidance system or whatever it is called suddenly slammed on the brakes when I approached a slight left curve in the road at 35 miles per hour. The system has activated at least 3 times before at the same place in the road and same speed, for no apparent reason other than possibly a sign or tree that close to the edge of the road. However this time the braking was so severe it could have caused an accident if a car had been following me. I pass this place multiple times every week, for over a year, but the sudden braking occurred only 4 or 5 times.

- bsanced, Rowlett, US

Feb 142019

CR-V EX 1.5t

While driving back home from work the CRV abruptly stopped without pressing the brakes. There was no objects nearby or a vehicle in front of me. Thank God that there was not car behind me because it would of crashed my vehicle when this occurred. Even though I love my CRV I don't feel safe anymore driving it.

- migdaliatormt, Hormigueros, Puerto Rico

Dec 192018

CR-V EX-L 1.5L

I really started thinking about an incident from two days ago, when I received a "vague" 2018 Honda CRV recall notice on my car for an A/C Control Unit Replacement, etc. today. That notice prompted me to begin searching online for anyone documenting "spontaneous braking." I did find several that would say exactly what I would have said in their place. In other words, braking hard enough to an abrupt stop that if someone had been behind me I would have been rear ended. Things were thrown from the seats to the floor when I was going quite slowly (on this neighborhood side street) coming up on an area where a large steel sheet had been placed by sewer workers over an opening in the lane I was in. I was so shocked that I lowered my passenger window to call out to two of the workers that, "I didn't do it, the car did." Yesterday I went back to that same location to examine exactly how the spot appeared. It definitely looked like the type of road condition that a kid's tricycle is built to easily pass over.

I purchased this car on 9/28/2018. In the recall notice, they referred to: What is the product update issue--following that it says--. . .there are reports of vehicles experiencing drivability concerns. These concerns can result in the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) turning on. Oh! Really! Just a "concern"? I'm hoping to find out more about this, and have it fixed, before I, or someone like me, become a statistic. I don't think of an A/C issue as having anything to do with “drivability.” How about you?

Update from Jan 8, 2019: Looking again on what others had posted, I now notice that their problem (like mine) was listed under "service brakes" instead of what I had named as "spontaneous braking." Why I didn't notice that sooner, I don't know, but that proves that I'm not the only one with this problem if someone is searching..

Update from Jan 8, 2019: Ah ha. . .going back again, it appears that the 2018 Honda Accord has the same problem.

- chicagonative, Chicago, US