2016 Honda Civic brakes problems: auto braking safety feature not working properly

Auto Braking Safety Feature Not Working Properly

2016 Honda Civic

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

9.5

2016 Honda Civic brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda Civic:

2016 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Jun 152019

Civic LX 2.0L

Brake hold no longer working. Not sure what caused this problem.

- J H., Pleasant Valley, US

Jun 032017

Civic Touring 1.5L T

While driving, 2 times on the highway and 2 on local roads, the car randomly thinks there is a crash imminent when there was nothing there. The car's Honda Sensing system Collision Mitigation Braking System engages the brakes at full power. The car comes to a halt mid-roadway. One event on the highway, there was an SUV behind me that had to swerve out of the way. On a side street, it happened where a car almost rear ended me and I tried to power through the breaking system to no avail. Thankfully the car behind me was able to stop. This is extremely dangerous. I called Honda who said it was covered under my warranty and I should take it to a local dealer to have it assessed. When I took it there they said I was out of warranty and that it would cost me over $100 just to look at it. I am dissatisfied with Honda and WARN ALL, DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! IT IS UNSAFE.

- mbardall, Fair Haven, US

Dec 062016

Civic Touring 1.5L

• CVT transmission

CAR JUST STOPS BY ITSELF FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE AUTO BRAKING ON. WHEN THERE IS NO OBJECTS IN FRONT OF THE CAR AT ALL. IS VERY DANGEROUS TO DRIVE WHEN ONE HAS NO CONTROL OVER A CAR THAT STOPS ITSELF.

- Ari L., Glendale, AZ, US

Jun 012016

Civic Touring

auto braking safety feature activates improperly

The safety feature of automatic braking kicked in unnecessarily after the vehicle in front of me had already turned and was headed other direction. It's as if the sensors thought it was still in front of me and slammed on the brakes, even though there was no car anywhere near me that I was about to run into. It scared the crap out of me and also, had another vehicle been close behind me, it likely would have rear-ended me. I've asked Honda to look into this, but so far have heard nothing back (car has been in shop for 2 days now).

- Kim W., Overland Park, KS, US