2016 Honda Odyssey engine problems: engine accelerated while foot was on brake

Engine Accelerated While Foot Was On Brake

2016 Honda Odyssey

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

8.0

2016 Honda Odyssey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda Odyssey:

2016 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Sep 212018

Odyssey LX V6

For the 2nd time since I bought this car new I have had an engine surge when I came to a stop. I came to a stop sign to a very busy road and put my foot on the brake. The car did not want to stop so I pressed hard on the brake (full weight) to stop from going into the traffic. The engine was racing and loud so I turned it off. I turned it on again and it did the same thing so I turned it off again. I waited a few minutes and turned it on again and it was OK. The last time I took it in they did not find a problem. I am betting they will find nothing again.

This is very scary and I fear an accident could happen in the future. I do not panic easy and I was able to avoid injury by paying attention and acting quickly. I have read that other people have had this problem. Can Honda fix it? Do they know what it is?

I like the car (but for this problem) and I would hate to get rid of it if it can be fixed.

- Irene C., Aiken, SC, US

Dec 032016

Odyssey LX V6

I was coming to an intersection slowly. I had my foot on the brake and the car was not stopping. I pressed on the brake harder and realized the engine was racing. I put the car in neutral and it raced faster. I turned it off. I turned it on again and it raced again so I turned it off. I waited a couple of minutes and turned it on again and all was normal. I took the car to Honda and they said nothing showed on computer. I was told to return if it happened again but if it did not appear on the computer the first time it won't show the next time either. They finally did an idle check of some kind. They also drove it just over 100 miles but could not duplicate the problem. This was scary and I wish there was a reason for this happening so it could be corrected. There was no carpet in the way of the accelerator and I use my right foot for the break and the accelerator.

- Irene C., Aiken, SC, US