2016 Honda Odyssey transmission problems: not shifting properly

Not Shifting Properly

2016 Honda Odyssey

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

7.3

2. rebuild transmission (1 reports)
2016 Honda Odyssey transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda Odyssey:

2016 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Mar 182019

Odyssey EX-L 3.5L V6

My odyssey 2016 is less than 3 years old, only 16,500 miles on it. It is still under factory warranty. However, two days ago, I felt a severe problem in transmission. Basically, after stop sign, the car will jolt from gear 1 to gear 2. It is like some other car bumped into my car from rear. I felt like the car will stall. But after gear 2, it seems to run smooth until next stop sign. This happened CONSISTENTLY 5 times for the same ride. It was too late that day, all dealers have closed. During the night, I googled such behavior "honda odyssey 2016 transmission issue after stop sign" and found other drivers have same problems on odyssey of different years. It seems there is no fix yet. The next day, I was about to make appointment with Honda dealer to do the warranty work. However, the problem does not happen again. This behavior exactly matches what other odyssey owners had reported in here carcomplaints.com I know that if I take my odyssey to Honda dealer, they are going to say "I don't see a problem". This is a big concern to me. I just lost all confidence in Honda. Just wonder when the transmission will die. It is only 16,500 miles, less than 3 years old. If the transmission dies after factory warranty, it will cost a lot of money.

Honda is notorious on transmission. I did not believe that until now. Will never buy Honda again.

Hope that more odyssey owners report the same problem so that Honda cannot dispute by "I don't see a problem."

- Chaoxing L., Clarksburg, MD, US

Jan 012019

Odyssey LX 3.5L Vs

This problem happened with the transmission at 24k miles and again now at 59k miles. Both times Honda fixed it under warranty. What happened was when the car tried to shift, it felt like the car went into neutral causing the engine to rev close to red line. Then the car would slam itself into gear. This happens thru all six gears. Both times this happened Honda replaced the alternator to no success. Then Honda rebuilt the transmission. I am going to sell the car before the power train warranty runs out because I do not want to be responsible for the cost of rebuilding the transmission for a 3rd time.

- Ryan L., summerville, SC, US

Jul 122018

Odyssey LX

My wife called me saying when she turned to left and sped up, the car suddenly moved forward. It looks like transmission slipped. It scared her. Also when she stepped on brake, the car trembled.

- Jian Ping M., Allen, US

Oct 072016

Odyssey SE V6

Odyssey has a hard downshift or clunk when slowing down to stop. The problem appears when the car is first started for the day. Accelerating slowly in 25 mph and slowing to a stop produces annoying clunks and hard shifting. We have taken the vehicle to 2 different dealers in the past year with this problem. Both say this is normal for the vehicle. If you read through 2015 and 2014 Odyssey complaints this is a common problem. You can also find a Honda service bulletin from 2015 that summarizes the hard downshift or clunking. Yet, they refuse to acknowledge that it is a problem.

- klynns, Cleveland, US

Sep 302015

Odyssey EX-L V6

I bought this 2016 van New in 2015, after I got it home it immediately started to pause before engaging the transmission. It starts out from a cold start in the garage. you have to rev the engine before the transmission will engage without jerking hard to move. Then when driving it wants to hesitate after stopping , or slowing down then hesitate when speeding up. its very annoying . I have taken it to the dealer twice but both times I have the vehicle wouldn't do the deed. My whole family and friends feel it too. Honda dealer says there is nothing to fix if they dont know what to fix. I say replace the transmission . Im at the stage where Im just going to trade it for something else . most likely not a Honda . Ive driven the Traverse and the Terrain on vacations ,and neither one has this problem. I will leave it with the dealer for a few days and ifnothing is found by them Its gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- kj1956, Sterling, IL, US

Jun 212016

Odyssey Limited Edition 6 cyl

With only 750 miles, the new Honda Odyssey has problems upshifting and downshifting - especially after being driven in the heat for 2+ hours. The jerking of the car when attempting to pass a car when attempting to accelerate - as well as the jerking as the car downshifts to a stop sign is extremely irritating. When attempting to drive San Francisco hills - this became very dangerous. At 750 miles, the problem was intermittent - and when I asked a service manager at Dublin Honda to examine - we were not able to recreate the problem.

Attempting to accelerate to join highway traffic is unnerving - and at 1500 miles now, the engine light came on and the D began flashing. I took the car to Dublin Honda and received a call later the same day that there is an issue identified by the car computer that the automatic clutch valve sensor for 6th gear is out and will be replaced under warranty. I never expected a warranty replacement with only 1500 miles and don't know if Honda's will be in the family future.The car has been in the shop for 2 days now and I'm still awaiting notice that the car is fixed.

- Nathan O., Pleasanton, CA, US