9.3

2020 Honda Odyssey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2020 Honda Odyssey:

2020 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 232022

Odyssey

The signal turned Red, as I was braking, the car engine stuttered and car shut off. Startled, push the park button, and pressed the engine start button but no response, pressed again and it started. This happened 6 months before but didn't report it as I thought it was a once off event. 6 months ago, the car was at a red light, the IDLE was ON and when I accelerated cause the light changed GREEN, the car shut off. Get the feeling its due to the IDLE but wanted to report this matter

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Oct 122021

Odyssey

The -€œauto engine idle stop-€ system in my minivan is malfunctioning. This is a safety issue because the engine does not always restart when I take my foot off the brake. I am eventually going to be hit from behind by a driver behind me that assumes my minivan will accelerate from a stop when it is supposed to. Every time the malfunction occurs, the dashboard displays a message -€œCollision Mitigation System Problem-€. However, I have been told by the dealership mechanics that this message is erroneous and that it is displaying because there isn-€™t a preset error message associated with the auto-engine idle stop malfunction. My minivan was 2 years old when I brought it to the dealership for repair the first time. That was in October-2021 and the dealership is Honda on Grand in Elmhurst, Illinois. I brought the vehicle to them on seven different occasions between October-2021 and now. Even though they were able to reproduce the problem, they say they don-€™t know how to fix it. So, they made minor repairs each time to different electrical and drive train systems in hopes that the malfunction will cease. After 10 months and 7 attempted repairs, my vehicle is still malfunctioning. The dealership instructed me to contact the corporate level Honda Customer Service Department, which I did on July 8, 2022. I was issued a case number and a customer service representative, Walter, to assist in resolving this problem. After many follow-up phone calls to them, they will not return my call to discuss my vehicle. I recently contacted the Elmhurst, IL dealership and spoke with the service manager, David Abraham, who said he would follow up with Walter. However, I still have not been contacted. I am very concerned for my safety and the safety of my two teenage children who are now driving my vehicle. This will undoubtedly lead to a collision if not repaired.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Dec 012021

Odyssey

Non-working touchscreen monitor (navigation, radio, heat/ac adjustments, everything on screen off and won-€™t turn on. The usb outlets, backup camera, rear tv are also all non-working. Issue with doors, van beeps twice when walking away from vehicle, like one is not shut properly even after you open and shut all doors again. Also rear sliding doors don-€™t shut sometimes and act like there is something in the way of it closing and reopening. Available anytime on Friday for inspection. Safety issue only with backup camera. Prefer the convenience of having one to see behind me better. Mirrors ok but camera better. Problem was fixed twice at Honda dealership in Jonesboro Ar. They said it was a recall. The solution to the recall only fixed it temporarily though. The same above issues continue to reoccur even after repair. Scheduled and went into Honda for the third time for the same issue and the dealership sent me away. This time they said they wouldn-€™t be able to fix again until someone (an engineer) from corporate could come out and look at my car. This hasn-€™t occurred and it-€™s been over two months. They said they have a new service manager and they are looking into it. I-€™ve called a number of times and I am just told their new and their trying to figure out who to contact. Issues started out with popping and crackling noise in speakers. Then the touchscreen monitor would say no audio connection. The rear tv would go on and off too. Then the touchscreen just died and nothing works now. It doesn-€™t even turn on. Just black screen. So I have a non-working touchscreen, navigation, radio, back up camera, heat/air adjustments, all components on the touchscreen are non-working. USB ports are non-working. Rear tv is non-working.

- Brookland , AR, USA

Feb 022022

Odyssey

Continuously intermittent lose of all main dash board information to include speed, all advanced safety features, display goes totally black. Continuously intermittent lose of infotainment system. Includes radio, gps, backup camera and all other options.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 102021

Odyssey

While driving at approximately 40 mph with the lane keeping assist feature turned on, I attempted to turn on the cruise control. The cruise turned on, but the center instrument panel did not report that cruise was on, nor the speed at which cruise was set. Using the steering wheel controls to increase the speed or decrease the speed did not update the instrument panel. The speed stayed locked at 4:00pm with the cruise control indicator off. The instrument panel with the speed, etc locked up. Several moments later the entire panel went back and remained black for a short period of time. I had no speedometer nor other critical instruments available on my instrument panel. About 10 seconds later or so, the panel came back on and acted normal. It showed cruise was in fact on and set to 43. I promptly turned off cruise control and left it off

- Dublin, OH, USA

Aug 022021

Odyssey

Infotainment system failure. It started by popping and crackling then the entire screen and entertainment system went black. No radio, Bluetooth, backup camera or any of the controls on the infotainment system screen.

- Brighton, TN, USA

Nov 102021

Odyssey

The center infotainment display does not have any visuals anymore. It started with cameras and displays glitching in and out for about 1&1/2 years. The problem wasn-€™t too bad, but in Aug 2021, the radio started to not work, and then we began hearing 3 tapping noises every 2 seconds while the engine was on. Now the screen is black and has no displays at all. We brought the van in to the dealership and they said parts had to be ordered. The Honda Advisor told me that this was a problem that they are aware of that happens often with this particular model. It-€™s been 3 months and nothing has been done. When I called back to check on the parts and progress to see when I can get it fixed, the service department changed their narrative and now they know nothing about any issues like that. We cannot use any functions like rear view display, heat or AC controls, and anything else that are displayed on the infotainment screen. We have 4 kids all under age 6, and my fear is that one child may sneak out and walk behind our van while we are backing out. The mirrors can only see so much, but the rear camera can give a better view of anything low and short.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Oct 102021

- Dublin, OH, USA

Aug 022021

- Brighton, TN, USA

Apr 212021

Odyssey

I was trying to come to a stop and my car wouldn't stop. The car was shaking and I almost hit the car in front of me. Thankfully there wasn't a car to the right of me so I swerved and pulled my emergency brake. There was a light on that said brake system in orange. Thank god my twins were not with me when this happened. It's a 2020 Honda odessey with less than 8000 miles. I bought I brand new! I had it towed to the dealer and they said they haven't found anything to fix. They did keep it another 24 hours to drive it around some more to see if it happens again. I'm worried sick to drive this again with my children in it! what if next time I am not so lucky to avoid an accident"!" I saw others post the same thing on this exact vehicle.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Dec 162020

Odyssey

Recall # 20V-438 incomplete. Parts ordered 12/16/2020. Parts have not arrived as of 4/3/2021.

- Melbourne, Fl, FL, USA

Feb 212021

Odyssey

New car- purchased in Oct 2020 has had persistent issues with the infotainment/camera unit repeatedly going black and rebooting. Sometimes off for up to 20 minutes without access to backup camera (I live on a busy street across from an elementary school) or gps. This happened the first time the day I drove it home from the dealer and has happened since. I have taken it to service on multiple occasions in including replacing the infotainment unit and the issue continues. This is a new vehicle. Every time I drive more than 20 minutes it starts rebooting every 15 minutes or so. This is ridiculous.

- San Carlos, CA, USA

Sep 042020

Odyssey

Defective 2020 Honda Odyssey received brand new June 9. began having issues in 2 months. Serviced at baytown, tx community Honda on 9/11, 9/24,9/17,10/16 for occurring issue. Problem has not been resolved. Video documentation with time stamp of issue is saved. Case open with America Honda: Case manager, antonio determined the Honda techs at the dealer are incorrectly fixing the van. The fakra connector needs to be replaced. He will submit request to field manager team for a field engineer to be scheduled to service my van. Antonio, case manager, also advised to cancel 11/19 appointment with service department and to wait for call back for Honda field engineer. Costumer requested eta, antonio would not provide estimated time, advise to wait for a call. Popping noise, disconnects bluetooth. Popping noise occurs when driver is on a call, listening to music, and even during complete silence there is popping. Electrical issue occurs during stationary, in motion, on a city, highway, and turning. The problem is unsafe because bluetooth connection is not working properly which prevents me to safely use hand free calling. This is illegal in the state of Texas. The Honda Odyssey 2020 currently has 7298 miles.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Oct 162020

Odyssey

Purchased brand new March 2020. Experiencing issues with radio static, popping noises from speakers, radio not found error message while driving. Radio still running after car is turned off and doors are opened. We have to turn the car back on and off again to get the radio to shut off. Issues worsened after recall work was completed.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 052020

Odyssey

We bough the vehicle new, and it was fine for the first 1800 miles. Then, the entertainment system started randomly powering down, usually first displaying a message "network communication lost". sometimes it will come back on, sometimes it cannot be restarted for days at a time. (when it does come back on, there usually is a popping sound coming from the speakers). This happens at random, irregardless if the vehicle is in motion or not. Besides for not having the ability to listen to music while driving, this is a serious safety issue, because when this happens, the backup camera does not work either. So, you have a large vehicle (I.e. a minivan) with minimal rear visibility, which is usually used around children, and you have no way of seeing what's behind you. I brought this to the dealership and they said they don't know how to fix this. I spoke to american Honda and they also said they don't know how to fix this. This is literally a dead child waiting to happen.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 042020

Odyssey

The infotainment center will go black and disrupt viewing of the backup camera or other features. It is unable to be turned back on.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Sep 012020

Odyssey

We just bought our van 20 days ago, the infotainment system is failing. It intermittently shuts down when parked and while driving. The radio crackles, our model has a dvd player that sometimes doesn't work, back up camera sometimes doesn't work, bluetooth shuts off during a call. Screen shows connection lost and reboots while driving. We waited to take ownership of our van due to a recall that they was related to the infotainment system, I guess they didn't fix the problem.

- Pine River, MN, USA

Aug 132020

Odyssey

I was sold a car with an active recall, that came out on 7/28. I purchased the car on 8/13 and had no idea about the recall... I am extremely upset that I was sold an unsafe vehicle and for a recall that could affect the safety of my wife and children

- South Hero, VT, USA

Aug 152020

Odyssey

While driving on interstates and local roads, the onboard "infotainment" system continually emits loud popping, crackling sound (sounds like things hitting windshield), resulting in distraction and confusion while driving. Various components of the infotainment system randomly go out, causing system reboots while driving and creating distraction. Navigation system is also sometimes affected, failing to provide turn guidance or give accurate location. Rear "cabin view" freezes intermittently, displaying only still image rather than view of rear seats. Fm radio randomly cuts out, displaying "no audio connection for fm".

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Aug 052020

Odyssey

20V-438 is for a camera recall. However the two dealerships in my town both have said they will not have parts for 2 months.

- Raleigh, NC, USA