- July 2: Hyundai and Kia Theta II Engine Fires Under Investigation investigations | 13 days ago
- June 12: Hyundai and Kia Engine Fires Should Be Investigated investigations | 33 days ago
- June 8: Kia Recalls 507,000 Fortes, Optimas and Sedonas recalls | 37 days ago
- May 31: Genesis G80 and G90 Cars Could Lose Windshields and Windows recalls | 45 days ago
- May 10: Hyundai Recalls Ioniq Hybrids To Repair Oil Seals recalls | 66 days ago
Hyundai Recall 170: Brake Pedal Stopper May Deteriorate
2013 Hyundai Elantra
If the brake light switch plunger does not retract as it should when the brake pedal is not being pressed, the brake lights may stay illuminated preventing accurate communication to following vehicles that the vehicle is slowing or stopping. Additionally, if the brake switch plunger is not retracted, then the transmission can be shifted out of PARK without depressing the brake pedal. Either condition increases the risk of a crash.
Service Brakes, Hydraulic — Pedals And Linkages
- Hyundai Motor Company (Hyundai) is recalling certain 2013-2014 Elantra sedan, coupe and GT vehicles. The brake pedal stopper pad can deteriorate allowing the brake light switch plunger to remain extended when the brake pedal is released. This will allow the brake lights to remain illuminated continuously. It can also allow the shift lever to be moved without depressing the brake pedal, or activate the engine management brake pedal override feature.
- Hyundai will notify owners, and dealers will replace the brake pedal stopper pad, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin February 8, 2018. Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-800-633-5151. Hyundai's number for this recall is 170. This campaign expands recall 16V574.
- Documents (8)
- Recall 573 Report - AMENDMENT 2
- Recall Acknowledgement
- Defect Notice 573 Report
- Recall 573 Report - AMENDMENT 1
- Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- December 13, 2017 - Recall 170: 2013-2014 Elantra Stop Lamp Switch Stopper Pad (Remedy Not Yet Available)
- Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- January 10, 2018 - Recall 170: 2013-2014 Elantra Stop Lamp Switch Stopper Pad (TSB #18-01-005)
- Remedy Instructions and TSB
- ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Click a tab for more information.