ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

7.3

$490

1. replace one/both fuel sensors (20 reports)
2007 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 192017

Santa Fe GLC 2.7L V6

Also had the similar problem with a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo. Ethanol added in US fuel reportedly over time corrodes the fuel sensor in gas tank causing bogus readings according to one dealership rep. After 103,000 miles my 2007, Santa Fe has the similar problem - engine check light comes on at the 1/2 full mark and the gauge reading becomes inaccurate. Fill it back up and all is well until the 1/2 tank level is reached. The vehicle isn't worth making the repair expense so I'll continue to drive it till the problem gets worse.

- J. W., Norfolk, VA, US

Feb 012018

Santa Fe SE 3.3L V6

This should be a recall in how often this occurs on the Santa Fe saddle fuel tanks - this is according to my mechanic.

- Kurt K., Phoenix, AZ, US

Jan 012007

Santa Fe 2.7L V6

National recall didn't fix problem - it has returned!

- Alfred(Hyundai) H., Reynoldsburg, OH, US

Oct 032015

Santa Fe LX 3.3lV6

A big pain not knowing how much fuel there is. Quote from Hyundai was $400 just for the part, labour costs in addition.

- L B., Kitimat, BC, Canada

Oct 222016

Santa Fe V6

The check engine light on my dashboard comes on, I drive a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe my husband took it to the Auto Zone store close to where we live and they said it cause from the gasoline gauge not working. I took it to the dealership where I service my car to get it fix, it was not covered under any of the factory warranty that I had left on the car and they were going to charge me in the range of $600.00 to fix it so I left. I didn't have that kind of money and I don't feel it was right for me to be paying that kind of money either when to me it seems like a manufacturer default. The car has 74,000 miles on, it is a real pain to go to get gas more than once per week because when I try to full the tank when I go to get gas it doesn't allow me to and it is showing that it is empty when I put the gas in. It is really a pain I am looking around to see if I can get it fix for less.

- paulettesfl, Miami, FL, US

Jun 122009

Santa Fe GS 2.7L

This is a problem that started while under warranty and I think the company should have fixed it a long time ago. I was told by the dealer that it was not under warranty and it would cost several hundreds of dollars to fix it . I have bought 6 or 7 hyundai vehicles since 1998 , but if this problem is not fixed by at no charge to me I will not buy another one your vehicles .

- rkirkendall, Newark, OH, US

Feb 012016

Santa Fe Limited V6

The gas pump keeps shutting off while trying to fill the tank. I need to hold the pump at a certain angle in order for the gas to keep pumping. Takes a long time to fill the tank. Also, the fuel tank low fuel light is almost always on and almost always shows an empty tank even though I am certain there is gas in the tank. There is no other choice but the reset the odometer each time I fill up in order to know when the fuel tank is close to empty and time for a refuel. Very annoying and a big hassle...

Hyundai should submit a recall on this issue. I hear it is a very expensive fix! Engine light is sometimes on, and sometimes off. This is a problem since I do not know if the light is coming on for this particular problem or if there is something else wrong...

I own two 2007 Santa Fe's and I assume this will happen with the other one as well. I want to buy one for my other daughter, but would like to know Hyundai will fix this problem. I see very many people are experiencing this same issue.

- Patti K., San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 012016

Santa Fe

The check engine light stays on and the fuel gauge reads empty all the time with the gas light staying on. This seems to be a problem for many so I do not understand why Hyundai will not recall this problem. It is happening too many times to people so evidently there is a problem somewhere that needs to be fixed. Treat your customers with respect Hyundai and get this problem resolved soon. Your customers believed in your product to buy it so treat us respectfully and fix this problem! It is your business to recognize the problems with your vehicles and to fix them. Word of mouth advertising is crucial for you so fix the problem at your cost and not ours!

- Teresa S., Acworth, GA, USA

Nov 112015

Santa Fe Limited V6

My Santa Fe doesn't registar the gas & the check engine light stays on. I have to try to go by mileage!!!!! Itm started around 95,000 miles.

- Rick O., Chickamauga, GA, USA

Mar 152016

Santa Fe Limited AWD 3.3L V6

Replacement of the fuel level sensor(s) located inside the fuel tank is a very expensive and difficult repair requiring taking out seats and accessing, thru the floor, complex units containing fuel pump and filter plus the floats and sensors. Serious design and reliability issues just to give a dash board gauge a fuel level reading. All in all poorly executed and very costly to those owners involved.. This defect causes the check engine light to be sometimes, sometimes off. Also the fuel gauge will show "full" when fill tank; but, shortly after the gauge fluctuates between 3/4 full to empty even tho about full.

Update from Aug 24, 2016: Dealer repaired plus took care of recall on leaky oil seal

- carllin, Bloomington, IN, USA

Jan 042016

Santa Fe Limited

I'm experiencing this problem with the gas gauge reading incorrectly for the second time!! The first time it happened my Santa Fe was still under the Bumper to Bumper warranty. The gauge was erratic and the check engine light was on for a couple of weeks. The sensor was changed by Hyundai and operated correctly. Two years later the exact problem recurred! Defective Hyundai sensors, perhaps? Problem is, I'm no longer under warranty, it's an expensive fix........and what if it happens a third time after spending so much? I'd been driving with an erratic gas gauge for months. It's not erratic anymore. Now both the check engine and gas light are almost always on.

- Susan F., Staten Island, NY, USA

Sep 252015

Santa Fe

I purchased my Santa Fe used with only 35,000 miles 2 years ago. I now have 50,000 miles and I love my Santa Fe, but about 6 months ago my check engine light went on and I had it diagnosed and was told it was a sensor so I had that fixed. Shortly after that my fuel gauge stays on empty no matter how much gas I put in and the empty fuel light stays on too. The check engine light is back on too.

I have been told to fix the fuel gauge problem that because it is fuel injection it will be very expensive to fix. After reading many complaints it sounds like this is a common problem with the model And it might not be worth trying to fix has anyone had any luck fixing this problem successfully for a long period of time.

My check engine light went back on in just 2 weeks after it was supposedly fixed. So I drive everyday with two lights lit up on my panel check engine light and empty fuel tank light. When people ride in my car they always make comments "oh I think you need gas" or "I think somethings is wrong with your engine. I'm sick of it.

I take good care of my car and it saddens me that I have this ongoing problem. Hyundai has many flaws in this car and should recall this gas gauge tank problem embarrassing enough I actually ran out of gas because of my misreading my odometer. I have never run out of gas ever! Hyundai if you read all of these comments, please help!

- lisamay, Honolulu, HI, USA

Jan 222016

Santa Fe Limited V6

Id rather get gas for the lawn mower than put gas in my Hyundai

- Molly C., Citrus Heights, USA

Dec 182015

Santa Fe 3.3L

Had this vehicle just over 2 years, already 3 recalls. I have never had a vehicle with this many issues. This should be covered under a recall. Why is that not happening. i am going to send a gripe directly to the manufacturer. Just over 60,000 kms that is dispicable.

- Dana P., Langley, BC, Canada

Dec 232015

Santa Fe Limited 3.2L,V6

FUEL GAUGE BEHAVES VERY ERRATICALLY....ESPECIALLY AFTER I FILL THE GAS TANK. MY RESEARCH SAYS IT IS A $500+ FIX....SOUNDS LIKE THIS A COMMON PROBLEM. HYUNDAI SHOULD DO A RECALL AND FIX THIS DEFECT!!!

- John B., HAMPTON, VA, USA

Oct 012015

Santa Fe V6

A couple of months ago, my gas guage started moving towards empty and then back to full. Now it's to the point where every time I fill it up, it reads as empty for the first 50 miles and my check engine light comes on.

- jena243, Tiffin, OH, USA

Apr 152014

Santa Fe SU

we have a hyundai santa fe 07 it has 160000 miles and the fuel gauge doesn't move and it showing that the tank is empty but is not....i don't think is any recall for this yet....but it is really annoying ...did you have any experience like that what did you do to get it fixed and how much it costed...

- Marvin M., Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Oct 012015

Santa Fe Limited 3.2L

It seams that Hyundai has a definite problem with the two fuel sensors under the back seats. They told me that the problem was concurring because of the ethanol in the fuel. Since we have had ethanol in the fuel for many years, I find this to be a preventable problem but Hyundai has not seen fit to issue any recalls. I have to keep track of mileage to know when to fill up again. To me it's not worth having Hyundai repair it to the tune of $500+. I can do it myself for about $160 but really don't want to have to do it. I'm thinking it may be time to trade cars but should I get a newer Santa Fe? I like the vehicle but!!!

- Ron M., Loveland, CO, USA

Sep 232015

Santa Fe

This has happened twice now in 2 separate years. Paid to fix it the first time and now it is happening again. Is this happening to other 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe's? It is pretty unsettling never knowing how much gas you really have in your car especially transporting your children. Hyundai said my car may shut off if the sensor reads that their is less gas in the car then there actually is.

- Melissa V., Oviedo, FL, US

Sep 302015

Santa Fe GL

Spend 50 dollars on gas after two days fuel gauge light comes on after driving only 25 kil. Start the car next day fuel gauge light off shows 1/4 tank. Same day start the car fuel gauge light comes on again.

u

This is very annoying can't depend on this reading, took to mechanic, says has seen this problem on these makes.

Hyundai needs to address this issue this is not acceptable. Families are driving with their children mothers on there own we need to know how much gas is in the tank. Not going to play games with How Much Gas Is In the Tank Each hour/day. Hyundai take care of your clients.

- mepereira, Mississauga, ON, Canada