2013 Hyundai Sonata engine problems: engine seized

Engine Seized

2013 Hyundai Sonata (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

9.1

$6,800

1. replace engine (16 reports)
  3. replaced engine, tachometer pegs in automatic still (1 reports)
2013 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 192019

Sonata Limited 2.4L

2013 Hyundai Sonata just died while I was driving on a major road, on my way to a doctors appointment. The car had to be towed. When it got to the Honda dealership they had to analyze the engine and take pictures of the parts in order for Hyundai to approve the new engine.

I was not able to get a loaners car or a rental, so I am not able to go to my part time job that supplements my social security income. When I left my full time job in November of 2018, I made sure that I paid off the car. Just three months later it has to be towed everywhere and I can't even get to my part time job.

They are telling me that it could be two months before they get a new engine. My bottom line payoff on my purchase agreement was $38,000, which includes sales taxes, interest and trade in. I thought I had a reliable car and all I paid for is something that has to be towed every place.

I am telling you. never buy a Hyundai. My car is part of this recall of 2.4 million of their cars that have to be recalled because of engines shutting down and some catching on fire. Horrible cars, DO NOT BUY A HYUNDAI!!!!! Don't be a fool like I was.

Update from Jul 19, 2019: The engine was finally replaced by Conicelli Hyundai. When the car was returned to me, I immediately noticed that the check engine light was on, so before leaving I was told that the mechanic would look at it on his scanner. He said that he did not see anything on his scanner. When I left there, I immediately drove to my mechanic's shop. First, he could not believe that after putting in a new engine they would let the car leave with the check engine light on. He told me to call them about it, I was told to make an appointment.

When I went for the appointment, they wanted me to pay them$65.00 for them to tell me what they did wrong. I have decided that I can't put up with the lying. I do not trust them. Since then, the engine seems worse than before, it has stalled like it did before. So, anyway, I will just have to have it fixed piece by piece. It is a junk car. I am sitting here waiting for roadside service at this very moment.

What good is the warranty if when they repair it, they make it worse. Also meant to mention that the car is using a lot more gas since they put in the new engine.

Hyundai Sonatas are terrible cars. Listen to me, never buy one. You'll be sorry if you do.

- Anita C., Wayne, US

Mar 012019

Sonata ALL 4 Cilinder

THE HYUNDAI COMPANY WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THERE PRODUCTS. I HAVE A 2013 SONATA IT THREW A ROD ABOUT 150000. THEY DON'T CARE IF YOU HAVE ONE. GET RID OF IT. DO NOT BUY, THEY ARE JUNK AND THEY KNOW THIS AND DO NOT CARE.

- Roger S., Elizabethtown, KY, US

Oct 142018

Sonata GLS

I am not one to go onto websites to make complaints. However, I am very disappointed in this vehicle. I have had it since 2014 and have had nothing but issues with it. Mainly with headlamps and taillights, constantly going out on the car. I can almost time it that every 6 months that I have to replace the headlamps. Last week my car died twice while I was driving it. I am like clockwork when it comes to the maintenance of the vehicle and the oil change was due on 10/10. Today I was driving and my car died on me again. This time it would be for good. Tried to recharge the battery and that didn't work. Had a professional mechanic look at it and he believe the engine has seized. This has to be a joke, I tell myself. Then I look up about engine issues and I cannot believe all the issues that there are with these engines. I have yet to deal with Hyundai about this. But I certainly hop they will take responsibility for this issue. The car is only 5yrs old! However, these other posts do bring me to believe this issue is going to be a long hall to deal with. Ugh!!

- jbannon76, Joliet, US

Aug 252018

Sonata 2L

I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. It was barely over 3,000 since last oil change. I was driving the car and it smoked and cut off. It will now not start, however has a clicking noise that is coming from left side of the engine. This is a terrible thing, since I sill owe on the car. I would love to fix the car, but don't want to buy a new engine. No check engine light or low oil light ever came on.

- Angela T., Columbus, US

Jul 022018

Sonata Limited 2.4L-4 cyl

I take great care of my car. I have regular maintenance and oil changes. In the middle of driving on a busy road the car just completely died on a 100 degree day. I had it towed to a shop and they said the engine is seized. There should be no reason for this to happen other than a manufacturer defect that was recognized by Hyundai back in 2017. I have found some class action suits that address this very same problem. I am waiting to hear from my local Hyundai service technician what they are going to do to get it fixed. I am praying that this is something that will be covered as it is a known issue.

This just happened yesterday on July 2, 2018.

- Andrea F., Claremore, US

Jan 162018

Sonata V6

I can't believe I ended up in the situation that I specifically bought a car NEW to avoid, being stuck on the side of the road because I am disabled!

My 2013 Sonata was a showroom model that had 44 miles on it when I bought it March 2014. In all reality I bought 1 and A HALF cars because I HAD bought the 2011 Sonata, which kept having electrical issues. SO "to make me happy" they called me up and offered me to TRADE in the 2011 for the 2013 Sonata showroom model PLUS more $$. BUT THAT'S A PRELUDE TO THIS STORY, so I won't focus on that.

The very 1st problem with this engine happened pretty much right after I bought it. I was getting on the highway and I had NO acceleration with an 18 wheeler barreling at me doing about 80 and after panic and pedal stepping it, kicked in and went. I took it back to Bernardi Hyundai and told them "I almost got killed in this car something is wrong"... when they gave it back to me they said "they hooked it up to the computer and everything was fine" .

Since that 1st visit I have heard that TWO MORE times from them when it was there for the engine recalls!! Even thought I told them to "drive this car something is wrong." WELL yes, I was right .... Driving down the highway doing 65-70 mph and all of a sudden it felt like I had NO power! I pulled into the lane to my right and realized this car was making an UNGODLY noise!!! I immediately pulled into the breakdown lane and pushed my "bluelink" for help....I GOT NOTHING!!

I picked up the phone and called my son who is a mechanic, he does my oil changes like clockwork as a matter of fact it had JUST had an oil change, new tires and a new battery the week before this! My son sent a tow truck to get me out of such a dangerous situation. while waiting for the tow I called the Hyundai dealer (which is no longer Bernardi but McGovern ....not that they even let us know about name change!) they gave me an 800 # to call for "roadside service".... are you kidding me?!

Since then I have contacted the corporate office because I read about the class action lawsuit people had to file because Hyundai was refusing to cover warranty saying regular maintenance was not done on the customers car because they did not take it to the dealership for maintenance. My son takes care of my basic car needs and actually he takes care of ALL now! I was told by corporate that someone would be in touch with me in 3-5 business days to make sure all is being done to my satisfaction but I can tell you right now..... this happened Tuesday, I had it towed to the dealership Wednesday by 1... I told them this is NOT my sons responsibility to give me a loaner car.....

I AM STILL WAITING for them to "ANALYZE" the car and give me either a rental or loaner while this engine is replaced... at least I HOPE they replace the engine! and not with a refurbished one. I have to say this car has been a nightmare. it only has 56,000 miles on it. what is there to analyze? All they have to do is turn the key!!!

Update from Aug 19, 2018: Hyundai is the WORST company to deal with! I have been given 3 different " case #s"! I habe spoken to 12 twelve different people.... for years I've complained about this engine! The tachometer pegs when your driving an automatic! But almost getting killed because I had NO acceleration getting on the highway was my final straw... THEY DON'T CARE! My end result with corporate was them informing me that my 2013 wss "beyond the buy back point"!!! Mind you this was after the right front axle was replaced 3 times, the left font axle was replaced 2 times the engine WAS also replaced! They don't understand "I hate this car" & after how I've been treated I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HYUNDAI!!! They wanted me to "trade it in"....i paid in full so I didn't have car payments if I trade it in it will NOT be to hyundai.. they seem to think sending me "$250 in vouchers I can use on future repairs" would make me happy??!!!! Absolutely not! Being disabled i bought new so i wasnt stuck on side of road... engine seized at 56k & i was on highway. These people do not care about your safety!

- Joanne Z., Kingston, US

Oct 202017

Sonata 2.4L

I took my car to Hyundai because I was hearing a rattling sound in my engine and my car hesitated and seemed to have cut off but no lights lit up late last year. I was on an extremely busy bumper to bumper HWY during rush hour traffic and my car would not move. I pressed on the accelerator a few times before it gained power to go. I thought I was going to be hit by an 18 wheeler. I was told the by the service department at Hyundai they could not find anything wrong and I was charged. The rattling continued. Several months later I received a recall letter in the mail describing the same issue. I took my car in to be examined again and was told the same thing. Yes I was upset because I knew the problem was there and I was very nervous and worried and scared that I could have an accident on the HWY which is how I travel home every evening. My drive home is 45mins to an hour in continuous flowing traffic but could take up to 1 1/2 hr to 2hrs if there are issues on the HWY. On Oct 20th at 5:15 am I was on my way to work when the ongoing rattling sound got louder and louder then my engine shut down. Keep in mind this is early morning very dark surrounded by woods. Not safe at all!!!! I had to contact my insurance company State Farm for a tow truck and they scheduled the tow truck and called 911 for the police to come and sit with me until the tow truck arrived. I love State Farm. I also had to call a friend and got him out of bed to come pick me up and take me home. Then had to call a co-worker to pick me up to ride with her to work. This was just entirely a HUGE Hassle for others. I then had to find a way home that evening. I received a call from Hyundai Yesterday Oct 23, 2017 service dept. saying they were advised to remove the lower oil pan and take pictures to see what is in there and send it to them. I am still waiting for their findings. A few months ago when I took my car in for the recall letter issue and was charged, which I shouldn't have been, Hyundai changed my oil and did not tell me or note it on my paperwork. How I knew was because I noticed the Oil change sticker on my windshield for 109200 miles before the next oil change. I actually had another 1000 miles or a little less to go before the next oil change. I was happy they changed it but they could have at least noted it on my paper work.

Coronda T.

Update from Oct 26, 2017: October 24th I received a call from Trent at Hyundai informing me that my engine problem is due to the recall issue and they will have to get me a engine. I went to pick up a loaner yesterday October 25th and was told by the service manager Vince that my old belts will go on the new engine and he recommended that I pay for all new belts because the old belts could brake due to the strong force of the new engine and if the old belts brake it would not be covered under warranty anymore. I'm guessing he meant the brand new engine wouldn't be covered. I asked how much does this cost? He said it will be 350.00 but it normally cost 550.00. How in the hell would I be responsible for the belts when it was their carelessness when building the car that they allowed metal to get in the engine and cause all these problems to the point that my LIFE was in danger twice on the HWY because of the hesitation of the engine and then actually shutting completely down at 5 am in the morning on the freakin HWY. I will be making some calls and even to my attorney if I have to. Thank God for Prepaid Legal/ Legal Shield.

- Coronda T., Charlotte, US

Aug 172017

Sonata Limited 2.0L

Car got fixed recently from Hyundai by replacing the Engine Part. It is just 4 days old. The Engine does not start now and getting Burning Smell from Engine and Smoke/fumes from Engine. Deeply Disappointed with the Car.

- Srinivasa G., San Diego, CA, US

Jul 152017

Sonata GLS 2.4L

2013 Sonata engine failed. Going down the interstate (thankfully about to get off the exit) and the check engine light, oil light, and an EPS light came on and the engine lost power. Came to a stop and the car would not move or start back up. It had no issues at this time that I was aware of, no lights on or weird noises, and I just had the oiled changed less than a month ago. Had to have it towed back from an hour and half away. Had it looked at and was told the engine was seized, that the motor would not even manually turn. Even though it gave no indication of problems or ran differently. Did some research online and found that Hyundai has a recall and lawsuit for these motors from 2011-2014. Something during manufacturing can cause the bearings to wear and motor to fail. But when you research 2013 Sonata this recall does not appear on every site (including this one), and I have not received any kind of notice on it, you must research your VIN. Just dropped the car off to the Hyundai dealership today, hopefully they do not give me the run around for getting it fixed... apparently this is what the lawsuit was over that they made a settlement on

- Jennifer W., Pensacola, FL, US

Mar 232017

Sonata GLS 2.4L

I had just started it...reversed out of driveway engaging it to drive. Hyundia Sonota started lagging power less than 250 meters. Then tried to make it home, and stalled 2 times before stalled up, almost made it home too.

- Todd J., Chard, AB, Canada

Mar 112017

Sonata V6

I have never had to deal with this situation before. I like my car but this is too much. I have a loan on this car, and now I don't want it. But, I don't want this to be something bad put on my credit.

- Dionna R., Philadelphia, PA, US

Dec 222016

Sonata ES Limited V6

This was a terrible experience several days before Christmas. Traveling 70 MPH down the interstate when the engine starts making a loud knocking noise! Thankfully, I had a doctor's appointment and made it there, the car tried to die in the parking lot. I prayed it would start when I came back out. Luckily it did but the knocking and grinding noise was horrific! I immediately contacted the local Hyundai dealership who stated "it may be the alternator". Yeah right!!! I said I was driving to them today! All they said was "be careful". They knew what I was describing, give me a break, how dangerous!!! I started back up the interstate with the sound increasing, then the car started to decelerate, then completely shut down! All the interior dash light came on! Then the engine smoked and smoke came in the cabin! I was able to coast off the interstate with absolutely not power!!! The interstate was horrible! Very dangerous! The car had absolutely NO POWER and would not come back on at all! The interstate at Christmas is no place to be stranded! I called the dealership back and informed them AAA would be hauling the car in and it was blown up and smoking.

I'm disgusted Hyundai has known about these engine issues and still has not issued a recall! I'm disgusted the dealership allowed me to drive this vehicle up the interstate after I described this issue, knowing this could possibly be the problem, placing me in danger! Shame on them!!!

- ksexton45, Kingston, TN, US

Nov 012016

Sonata

Well we will see how long this engine lasts.

FYI everybody!! At first they were giving me the run around, until I got on here and found out how many people were complaining and using YOUR resources. They gave me an extended warranty without being the original owner. THANK YOU!

- Melanie I., Granite Bay, CA, US

Sep 152016

Sonata 4 cyl

Engine died first time Sept 15th on the way to Orlando for brain surgery for my daughter we waited 4 hours to be towed by hyundai's roadside service, with my daughter laying in the backseat in 105 degree heat. Towed to Universal Hyundai in Orlando. 2 weeks later had to go back to pick it up. I live in Tampa....Needless to say on October26th it happened again. It is now at courtesy Hyundai in Tampa who is telling me they can't figure out what Universal did but it wasn't right. We have to drive this piece of crap to Colorado for more brain surgery on Dec 1st if it's ready, Does anyone think I feel comfortable with our lives driving with another used engine?

- candacej, Tampa, FL, US

Oct 082016

Sonata 2.0L

I bought this car thinking it was a good reliable car and it broke down on me out of no where

- slimguy, Lake Elsinore, CA, US

Dec 212015

Sonata GL 2.4L

First engine was too high of mileage Hyundai turned it down, replaced with used. It died 10k later same issue and covered by supplier parts only. That replacement just died August 10, 75k later. Not replacing engine this time have heard they really don't know the issue

- chrojoh, campbell river, BC, Canada

Mar 132016

Sonata

I am the second owner and as such Hyundai's 100,000 mile powertrain warranty did not cover me.

The vehicle only had 62,000 miles (only 2,000 more than the bumper-to-bumper warranty) when I first noticed a knocking sound and excessive oil consumption. By the time the vehicle had 69,000 miles it completely died just as I was exiting the freeway. Luckily I was able to pull off the freeway and into a parking lot and have the car towed. Because the engine was not covered by warranty and repairing the engine was not economical I was forced to replace the engine with a junk yard engine.

I called Hyundai and the NHTSB but the only listed engine recall was for 2011-2012 engines and mine was outside of the window, even though it was made in the same Alabama factory just months later.

I later found out (In May, 2016) about the class action lawsuit and the corresponding extended warranty. I have filed a claim for reimbursement with Hyunday but it has been 2 months and I haven't heard anything back. They say to allow for 90 days, so we will see if anything happens in the next 30 days.

Update from Aug 3, 2016: Update. My extended warranty claim was approved and I was promptly reimbursed.

The engine which was installed in my vehicle is still in the effected group, but the vehicle is now covered by the extended warranty. I am happy with the outcome.

Thank you Hyundai!.

- Jeff M., San Diego, CA, US

Jul 132016

Sonata GLS 2.4L

My 2013 Sonata engine seized today. It was 3 years old. I maintained it religiously. I absolutely can not believe how un-safe this problem is to Hyundai drivers! My car just died, no notice of anything. Power steering gone too as I am traveling on highway in construction zone. This car was 3 years old! Mechanic said there is metal in the engine. They used a crank bar to get it started and now a loud knocking sound in the bottom front. I still owe payments on the car! I guess the pending settlement is our only hope?

- George K., Boonsboro, MD, US

Jun 302016

Sonata GLS 2.4L 4

2013 Sonata began using oil and engine was making a knocking sound. Took it for service at Hyundai dealer. Dealer said the engine needs replacing. The dealer said the car was not safe to drive and provided a rental car.

- dex3, San Ramon, CA, US

Jan 212016

Sonata

Unable to use car for over 5 months, which means finding a way into work each and every day.

- Debra W., Unity, ME, US