2013 Hyundai Sonata engine problems: engine seized

Engine Seized

2013 Hyundai Sonata (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

9.1

$6,800.00

1. replace engine (13 reports)
2013 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 202017

Sonata 2.4L

I took my car to Hyundai because I was hearing a rattling sound in my engine and my car hesitated and seemed to have cut off but no lights lit up late last year. I was on an extremely busy bumper to bumper HWY during rush hour traffic and my car would not move. I pressed on the accelerator a few times before it gained power to go. I thought I was going to be hit by an 18 wheeler. I was told the by the service department at Hyundai they could not find anything wrong and I was charged. The rattling continued. Several months later I received a recall letter in the mail describing the same issue. I took my car in to be examined again and was told the same thing. Yes I was upset because I knew the problem was there and I was very nervous and worried and scared that I could have an accident on the HWY which is how I travel home every evening. My drive home is 45mins to an hour in continuous flowing traffic but could take up to 1 1/2 hr to 2hrs if there are issues on the HWY. On Oct 20th at 5:15 am I was on my way to work when the ongoing rattling sound got louder and louder then my engine shut down. Keep in mind this is early morning very dark surrounded by woods. Not safe at all!!!! I had to contact my insurance company State Farm for a tow truck and they scheduled the tow truck and called 911 for the police to come and sit with me until the tow truck arrived. I love State Farm. I also had to call a friend and got him out of bed to come pick me up and take me home. Then had to call a co-worker to pick me up to ride with her to work. This was just entirely a HUGE Hassle for others. I then had to find a way home that evening. I received a call from Hyundai Yesterday Oct 23, 2017 service dept. saying they were advised to remove the lower oil pan and take pictures to see what is in there and send it to them. I am still waiting for their findings. A few months ago when I took my car in for the recall letter issue and was charged, which I shouldn't have been, Hyundai changed my oil and did not tell me or note it on my paperwork. How I knew was because I noticed the Oil change sticker on my windshield for 109200 miles before the next oil change. I actually had another 1000 miles or a little less to go before the next oil change. I was happy they changed it but they could have at least noted it on my paper work.

Coronda T.

Update from Oct 26, 2017: October 24th I received a call from Trent at Hyundai informing me that my engine problem is due to the recall issue and they will have to get me a engine. I went to pick up a loaner yesterday October 25th and was told by the service manager Vince that my old belts will go on the new engine and he recommended that I pay for all new belts because the old belts could brake due to the strong force of the new engine and if the old belts brake it would not be covered under warranty anymore. I'm guessing he meant the brand new engine wouldn't be covered. I asked how much does this cost? He said it will be 350.00 but it normally cost 550.00. How in the hell would I be responsible for the belts when it was their carelessness when building the car that they allowed metal to get in the engine and cause all these problems to the point that my LIFE was in danger twice on the HWY because of the hesitation of the engine and then actually shutting completely down at 5 am in the morning on the freakin HWY. I will be making some calls and even to my attorney if I have to. Thank God for Prepaid Legal/ Legal Shield.

- , Charlotte, US

Aug 172017

Sonata Limited 2.0L

Car got fixed recently from Hyundai by replacing the Engine Part. It is just 4 days old. The Engine does not start now and getting Burning Smell from Engine and Smoke/fumes from Engine. Deeply Disappointed with the Car.

- , San Diego, CA, US

Jul 152017

Sonata GLS 2.4L

2013 Sonata engine failed. Going down the interstate (thankfully about to get off the exit) and the check engine light, oil light, and an EPS light came on and the engine lost power. Came to a stop and the car would not move or start back up. It had no issues at this time that I was aware of, no lights on or weird noises, and I just had the oiled changed less than a month ago. Had to have it towed back from an hour and half away. Had it looked at and was told the engine was seized, that the motor would not even manually turn. Even though it gave no indication of problems or ran differently. Did some research online and found that Hyundai has a recall and lawsuit for these motors from 2011-2014. Something during manufacturing can cause the bearings to wear and motor to fail. But when you research 2013 Sonata this recall does not appear on every site (including this one), and I have not received any kind of notice on it, you must research your VIN. Just dropped the car off to the Hyundai dealership today, hopefully they do not give me the run around for getting it fixed... apparently this is what the lawsuit was over that they made a settlement on

- , Pensacola, FL, US

Mar 232017

Sonata GLS 2.4L

I had just started it...reversed out of driveway engaging it to drive. Hyundia Sonota started lagging power less than 250 meters. Then tried to make it home, and stalled 2 times before stalled up, almost made it home too.

- , Chard, AB, Canada

Mar 112017

Sonata V6

I have never had to deal with this situation before. I like my car but this is too much. I have a loan on this car, and now I don't want it. But, I don't want this to be something bad put on my credit.

- , Philadelphia, PA, US

Dec 222016

Sonata ES Limited V6

This was a terrible experience several days before Christmas. Traveling 70 MPH down the interstate when the engine starts making a loud knocking noise! Thankfully, I had a doctor's appointment and made it there, the car tried to die in the parking lot. I prayed it would start when I came back out. Luckily it did but the knocking and grinding noise was horrific! I immediately contacted the local Hyundai dealership who stated "it may be the alternator". Yeah right!!! I said I was driving to them today! All they said was "be careful". They knew what I was describing, give me a break, how dangerous!!! I started back up the interstate with the sound increasing, then the car started to decelerate, then completely shut down! All the interior dash light came on! Then the engine smoked and smoke came in the cabin! I was able to coast off the interstate with absolutely not power!!! The interstate was horrible! Very dangerous! The car had absolutely NO POWER and would not come back on at all! The interstate at Christmas is no place to be stranded! I called the dealership back and informed them AAA would be hauling the car in and it was blown up and smoking.

I'm disgusted Hyundai has known about these engine issues and still has not issued a recall! I'm disgusted the dealership allowed me to drive this vehicle up the interstate after I described this issue, knowing this could possibly be the problem, placing me in danger! Shame on them!!!

- , Kingston, TN, USA

Nov 012016

Sonata

Well we will see how long this engine lasts.

FYI everybody!! At first they were giving me the run around, until I got on here and found out how many people were complaining and using YOUR resources. They gave me an extended warranty without being the original owner. THANK YOU!

- , Granite Bay, CA, USA

Sep 152016

Sonata 4 cyl

Engine died first time Sept 15th on the way to Orlando for brain surgery for my daughter we waited 4 hours to be towed by hyundai's roadside service, with my daughter laying in the backseat in 105 degree heat. Towed to Universal Hyundai in Orlando. 2 weeks later had to go back to pick it up. I live in Tampa....Needless to say on October26th it happened again. It is now at courtesy Hyundai in Tampa who is telling me they can't figure out what Universal did but it wasn't right. We have to drive this piece of crap to Colorado for more brain surgery on Dec 1st if it's ready, Does anyone think I feel comfortable with our lives driving with another used engine?

- , Tampa, FL, US

Oct 082016

Sonata 2.0L

I bought this car thinking it was a good reliable car and it broke down on me out of no where

- , Lake Elsinore, CA, USA

Dec 212015

Sonata GL 2.4L

First engine was too high of mileage Hyundai turned it down, replaced with used. It died 10k later same issue and covered by supplier parts only. That replacement just died August 10, 75k later. Not replacing engine this time have heard they really don't know the issue

- , campbell river, BC, Canada

Mar 132016

Sonata

I am the second owner and as such Hyundai's 100,000 mile powertrain warranty did not cover me.

The vehicle only had 62,000 miles (only 2,000 more than the bumper-to-bumper warranty) when I first noticed a knocking sound and excessive oil consumption. By the time the vehicle had 69,000 miles it completely died just as I was exiting the freeway. Luckily I was able to pull off the freeway and into a parking lot and have the car towed. Because the engine was not covered by warranty and repairing the engine was not economical I was forced to replace the engine with a junk yard engine.

I called Hyundai and the NHTSB but the only listed engine recall was for 2011-2012 engines and mine was outside of the window, even though it was made in the same Alabama factory just months later.

I later found out (In May, 2016) about the class action lawsuit and the corresponding extended warranty. I have filed a claim for reimbursement with Hyunday but it has been 2 months and I haven't heard anything back. They say to allow for 90 days, so we will see if anything happens in the next 30 days.

Update from Aug 3, 2016: Update. My extended warranty claim was approved and I was promptly reimbursed.

The engine which was installed in my vehicle is still in the effected group, but the vehicle is now covered by the extended warranty. I am happy with the outcome.

Thank you Hyundai!.

- , San Diego, CA, US

Jul 132016

Sonata GLS 2.4L

My 2013 Sonata engine seized today. It was 3 years old. I maintained it religiously. I absolutely can not believe how un-safe this problem is to Hyundai drivers! My car just died, no notice of anything. Power steering gone too as I am traveling on highway in construction zone. This car was 3 years old! Mechanic said there is metal in the engine. They used a crank bar to get it started and now a loud knocking sound in the bottom front. I still owe payments on the car! I guess the pending settlement is our only hope?

- , Boonsboro, MD, USA

Jun 302016

Sonata GLS 2.4L 4

2013 Sonata began using oil and engine was making a knocking sound. Took it for service at Hyundai dealer. Dealer said the engine needs replacing. The dealer said the car was not safe to drive and provided a rental car.

- , San Ramon, CA, USA

Jan 212016

Sonata

Unable to use car for over 5 months, which means finding a way into work each and every day.

- , Unity, ME, USA

Mar 062016

Sonata SE 2.4L

Was driving car home from work late at night when it suddenly started acting up and just quit. Hyundai Road Side assistance responded nicely enough but tow truck took 2 hrs. Then they forgot to deliver it to the dealer for several days,,couldn't be found. Finally arrives at the dealer who needs several days to figure out what is wrong with it. Finally get a call saying engine is seized and it needs to be replaced, $6800 for a re-manufactured engine with a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty or $8000 for a new one ,,but still only 12,000 warranty..WTF....said they found all kinds of metal in the oil pan, bearings most likely....never mentioned there was a recall on these engines for just this issue....needles to say it was out of warranty although only 3 yrs old,,,,they were not covering repairs....said poor maintenance was a contributing factor and that was on me. Yet I change it or had it changed with full synthetic every 5,000 miles, but "not by Hyundai" so "no new engine for you!!" No resolution at this point,,,,very frustrated and disappointed with Hyundai.....

- , Bradenton, FL, USA

Feb 132016

Sonata SE 2.0L

Engine failed with defective rod bearing, the same issue that 2011 and 2012 cars had but those we covered under a recall. Even though my car was only 800 miles under warranty (and had been making a slight noise for longer then 800 miles but it would come and go), and my vehicle was manufactured in 2012, it is not part of the recall and Hyundai refuses to fully cover. Engine was disassembled to some degree to get pics for Hyundai which showed no sludge and no excessive ware on the top end. All oil change receipts in hand but that didn't matter. I think it is a known issue and that Hyundai should make it right.

- , Scottdale, PA, USA

Aug 012014

Sonata

Was driving car and felt like it was hesitating. Took to repair shop (was scheduled for brakes) and the mechanic took it for a drive. At first no problem so he took it around the block again and it just died. Black smoke in the back. Had the car towed to Hyundai. 4 days later they took a look and said engine was seized. I was 2000 miles into an oil change. Told me it would not be covered (sludge) and cost was $7500. Much back and forth about recommended oil change intervals. Produced oil receipts they came down to $3000 then $1500 and finally $1000 but would only honor the $1000 IF I paid Hyundai to change the brakes as well and change the cabin filter. No brakes, no engine per the District Manager. We negotiated them down to pads at cost and refused the cabin filter on principal. Spoke to Hyundai who advised me that warranty repairs are at the discretion of district service managers and although they assigned me a customer advocate there was nothing they could do. 4 weeks after it began, I got my car back and total repair was $1200.

Counting down the days until I can return the car!

- , Bethpage, NY, US

Nov 172015

Sonata

My daughter was driving to school. Entering the freeway the vehicle stoped running. Called tow truck to get it sent to dealership. After a couple of days dealership said the motor has froze! It is Dec.5 still at dealership. They called said waiting for parts and I am not the only one here at this dealership with the same problem!

- , Santee, CA, USA

Sep 122015

Sonata

Bought my 2013 Sonata in OH, tho I live in MI. Didn't have ANY problems until this year, the engine seized up a few months ago, and it happens intermittently The most recent was 9-12-15, tho it's happened about 6 times in total, just since June 2015. It's scary when the engine seizes and everything shuts down. I just had the 60,000 mile check-up, drove to IL in July, the engine seized, had it towed to a Hyundai dealership there. Cost me $900. They thought it was the fuel injector and pump. It seized up again on 9-12-15, had to have it towed home to the tune of $190. Soooooooooooo, made an appt. with the dealership it came from in OH and I have to have it towed there for another $175 This is ridiculous! I don't have this kind of money. I am feeling very much taken for a ride, but am in a quandary as to what to do . . . trade it in? Sell it?

I've also been told that it's whoever put in the anti-theft alarm. That they might have taken a short cut and screwed up something with the engine getting the signal that it's NOT being stolen. I bought the car WITH it all ready on the car, so why am I paying the price for this? Geez. I'm so damn frustrated.

Thanks for listening everyone!

- , Tecumseh, MI, USA

Oct 012015

Sonata

My car is a 2013 Hyundai Sonata with only 24,500 miles---out of no where the car started acting up... real hard to go, black smoke coming from the back and the oil was sludgy. I took the car to the dealership where it was purchased and they said that I needed a new engine..... a new engine??? really?? its only 3 years old... has had oil changes and routine inspections.... the dealership stated since I was covered under warranty, I need not worry... they would have to get approval from Hyundai to cover this... to my surprise, they called me back and stated I was denied!!! I called Hyundai Corporate... oh, Ya, sorry...denied!!! When asked why?? How??? they stated that "poor maintenance on my part"---Your joking??? I am BEYOND furious.... I am so disgusted. I cannot believe that #1 Cochran and Hyundai would do this... Its a new car.... Its a 2013- with low miles.... WHY THE HELL do I even have a warranty????????? I am not stopping until I get this resolved.

- , Pittsburgh, USA