7.6

2. replace wire harness (1 reports)
2018 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Hyundai Sonata:

2018 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Mar 182019

Sonata GL

Not something that's expected when purchasing a new vehicle. Salesman picked me up at my house and leaving the driveway the check engine light came on. They reset the computer and the light came on at 750 km again. This time they replaced some wire harness that had something to do with the knock sensors.

- Cris W., Smiths Falls, ON, Canada

Apr 062019

Sonata SEL 2.4L

Purchased the car in Aug 2018 the 2018.5 Model SEL with 13 miles on her. After the 1st oil change the dealership said they did an update on the ECM, noticed a slight tick from the valves as I've been around cars and worked on older gens before everything went all technological they said it was fine.

Fast forward while driving in the city est 40mph mileage 8,220 the car bucked and check engine light came on and continued to flash and would not go above 2,000 rpms. BlueLINK on screen said the Electronic control module has failed. I was able to granny drive the car to the dealership and since then they have come up with the diagnosis of wiring harness failure. They told me there was 2 other cars in for repair and they have been there for over a month.

This is highly disappointing as I drive part time on the weekends as a Uber driver to make extra cash to afford life. Now I am out of a car and stuck with a payment that I am not able to enjoy. In all honesty I really hope its a whole engine replacement so I can sell this car and make some money back on the 1st and worst decision as to buy a brand new car.

- Kevin O., Jeffersonville, IN, US

Mar 292019

Sonata Sport + 2.4L

The car went into limp mode (limited to 2000RPM and 60 to 65 MPH) 343 Mi. After getting the 953 recall upgrade to the knock sensors. Vehicle is at the dealer now and waiting on a new wiring harness. The service department states that there is noise on the harness that is impeding them from doing further diagnostics. I've been quoted 2 to 3 weeks of wait time for the harness. Then they can properly diagnose the issue and we go from there. If the knock sensor was correct in putting the car in limp mode, the engine may need to be replaced. The dealer is trying to round up a loaner vehicle for me at this time. They are really pushing the limits of the Nevada Lemon Law with the vehicle being down for 30 or more days within the first year of ownership.

- Shaun B., Henderson, NV, US

Feb 202019

Sonata Sport

While driving my vehicle on a the free luckily in rush hr traffic, my car suddenly felt like I hit a brick wall and my check engine light came on and began flashing. I was then unable to accelerate past 60mph and felt my car had a very sluggish response when stepping on the gas pedal. I then pushed the Blue Link button to notify them of the issue. They scheduled me for an appointment to take my car into my local Dealership on the very next day.

The dealership got me into a rental and did a Check Engine Light Service/Diagnostic. I got a call a day or two later saying it was the wiring harness and they would have to order the part and it would be in on Monday. Here we are now 9 days from when the dealership received the car and I was notified that the wiring harness was replaced but the engine still knocks and the dealership would be consulting an engineer regarding having the manufacture replacing the engine. I still don't have a definite answer on what is wrong with my car. A 2018 and 9,588 miles I got engine problems already

- ERICA S., Stockton, CA, US

Feb 162019

Sonata

Really awful experience after spending hard earned $23k on it, even though it will be fully covered under warranty and maybe a part of an ongoing Recall too. HYUNDAI Sucks!!!

- Abhishek S., Louisville, KY, US