CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2016 Tucson comes with a dual-clutch, 7-speed transmission. But Hyundai forgot to tell you about one key phrase – zero-move. That's right, an alarming number of owners have said their SUV wouldn't accelerate after a stop.

Turns out that's because the transmission's application logic has been stumbling all over itself. Hyundai recalled the issue in September 2016, but it's difficult to say if owners are out-of-the-woods, or if this is just a sign of things to come.

2016 Hyundai Tucson engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Hyundai Tucson:

2016 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments

Aug 312018

Tucson Limited 1.6t

The worst customer treatment I've been though in my life.

Engine failure at 34,000 miles within warranty period, coverage denied with only response "evidence of failure being consistent with a lack of maintenance." Repair estimate $8,000 for complete replacement. This site wouldn't let us post this because amount was to high but I have written estimate from dealer. They never asked for maintenance logs which I sent anyway. No contact or replies for weeks from Anthony at Hyundai assigned to our case. Customer service 800 # said they couldn't help because it was assigned to administrator. No one would answer questions like what failed? No loaner car available from dealer. "We don't do loaner cars" with the worst attitude I've heard in a long time without provocation. And we bought every warranty they offered.

At first white smoke (typically from coolant) showed up from tailpipe with no Blue Link vehicle status warnings . When engine started running rough my wife thought was the tranny acting up again. As soon as I saw condition, we stopped driving car and requested tow truck. It ran fine some of the time but smoke would return and would run rough but ever stalled. Mechanically everything sounded normal under hood all the time.

We ended up trading the car in for a huge loss and bought another to replace. Total negative impact to us, $19k.

- Lee P., Pasadena, US