ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2015 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems: rough shifting

Rough Shifting

2015 Jeep Cherokee (Page 2 of 3)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: How many transmission complaints can a new vehicle really receive? You'd be surprised. Unless you're a 2015 Cherokee owner, then I bet you're not surprised at all.

7.9

2. reset transmission (6 reports)
  3. update shifting software (4 reports)
  4. replace transmission (2 reports)
2015 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 282016

Cherokee 2.4L

Fifth time in the shop for the same issue. Transmission pausing, lurching when upshifting, or downshifting, pausing while accelerating. This time I made the service manager come for a drive with me. I made him drive. Every other time I had brought my car in, they told me the technician couldn't replicate the problem. I don't think they ever drove it! This time the service manager did replicate the issue. He confirmed everything that I had been telling him. He filed a technical complaint with Fiat. Their response was a new transmission. I don't know why it took five times to get something remedied. I received the new transmission. The shifting problem is better but the pause during accelerating is still there. It's almost like my car has to "think" about what it wants to do. I'm still not 100% happy, but I will admit, it is better.

- Angie C., Jeddo, MI, US

Oct 222016

Cherokee Lattitude 3.2L V6

I purchased my Jeep Cherokee Sept 2015, after 11 months it developed a loud nose shifting from 4th to 5th while going up a hill plus it shifts ruff. Had it in the shop three times, 4th time they told me that there was nothing the could do and I lt. Reported it to Jeep, on 2/10/17 they had a Tech adviser from Jeep come in an look at it. I never received a follow up call. I saw the Jeep in the lot when I went to a nearby business. I called the dealer after the shop closed and was told that it was completed. I was told by the cashier that they did not find anything wrong. Not sure if they attempted to duplicate the problem, it does not happen all the time. They constantly tel me it does not throw a code. They did numerous updates on the first three times I was there and nothing. Sad to say the noise is still there. When it makes the noise you can feel a vibration on the passenger floor boards and it is loud enough for the passenger to hear it. I guess I will drive it until it falls apart and get rid of it. I was not looking to have to replace my car since I am 1 1/2 yrs way from retirement. I had two Jeeps prior to this that I loved. I liked this one at first but I will be damned if I buy another Chrysler Product. Sad to say my son works for the dealer ship I bought ti at

- clint0722, New Oxford, PA, USA

Dec 232016

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

Background: Transmission and shifting has been rough odd in the lower gears since day 1. The dealer said eventually software updates will fix that....30,000 later and still the same after multiple updates. 1st incident (~32000) Car refused to start. Service transmission came on. Very rough shifting. 15-20 minutes later the car decided it would then work. Wife drove it home and we drove it to the dealer. They said it just needs a couple software updates.

2nd incident (few weeks later) (~33000) Car died in the parking lot. Refused to start. Service Transmission light, check engline light, 4wd disabled light. Car finally starts with all the lights and barely moves. Called Chrysler road-side assistance (5 times, 5 hours). Tow truck never showed. Waited till late at night and the car started right up and acted normal with the service transmission light on, and 4wd disabled light. Drove it to the dealer and left it in their parking lot. Just got it back now they are saying it just needed a new battery. They have no idea how to fix it

- ks770tx, Plano, TX, US

Nov 022015

Cherokee Trail Hawk V4

VERY HARSH SHIFTING IN THE LOWER GEARS. FAMILY AVOIDS LEFT TURNS IN TRAFFIC FOR FEAR THE JEEP WILL NOT BE IN THE CORRECT GEAR TO ACCELERATE AND AVOID A COLLISION. WE HAVE HAD A SOFTWARE UPDATE, BUT THE PROBLEM REMAINS.

- Chris L., Rock Hill, SC, USA

Feb 202016

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

Brought car in for transmission and warranty work on back tailgate. Another transmission reset was done, which did not fix the problem. Tailgate repair had to be redone again at a later time.

- Carey M., Hopkins, MI, USA

Dec 212015

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

Brought car to shop for rough shifting, was told that it was due to the programming transmission, relearn completed. did not fix problem.

- Carey M., Hopkins, MI, USA

Jul 252015

Cherokee Trialhawk 3.2L V6

transmission is the worst I have ever driven. Jeep dealer service always say they almost have the problem fixed but never truly fix it.We went threw arbitration and got no where. We are now going to enter the class action lawsuit now being filed in federal court.

- ely, Conneaut, OH, USA

Aug 132016

Cherokee Trailhawk V6

The 9 speed transmission is poorly designed and not well matched to the engine. Even with the largest engine (V6) the transmission NEVER shifts into 9th gear. Most of the time it runs in 7th gear and occasionally 8th gear. From a stop the transmission shifts rough and sometimes back and forth between gears as if it can't decide which gear it should be in. Chrysler should consider sending their drive train design engineers to Ford for proper training.

- Kim K., Kearney, NE, USA

Sep 082015

Cherokee LX V6

have complained to TriStar where I purchased the vehicle. Have had it in the shop several times, when I get back all they ever say is they updated the computer chip. Still shifting hard and or rough, am trying to sell but not getting my money's worth out it , very difficult since I am single and a woman and men do not want to listen to me.

- plowmana, Clymer, USA

May 312015

Cherokee Sport 3.2L Pentastar™ Vvt V6

Rough shifting, delayed shifting, car will suddenly "pop" out of gear. Noisy transmission. Vehicle lunges randomly from stopped or slow speeds. Poor fuel economy. Dealership just keeps "flashing" the computer - says there is no fix. It is dangerous and for the most part I feel very unsafe driving this vehicle. I would NOT buy this care again ever in a million years. I have never driven something so hard to drive - and I grew up driving old trucks and tractors.

- Robn C., Wa, ON, Canada

Oct 012016

Cherokee Latitude 3.2L V6

10-01-2016

I bought a 2015 Jeep Cherokee from Royal Gate Dodge on 5-15-15. I have had problems with it from the start. At times, the transmission would shift so hard that it felt like I had been hit from the rear. I took it in and they couldn't get it to act up. I took it in a while later for the same problem. By then, they had an alert about the problem. It was a computer problem. As I drove home, it did it again. I took it to a different dealer to see if they would have any luck. It seemed to fix the problem for a while. The hard shifting incidents were greatly reduced. Then while driving home from Highland, I noticed some hesitation in the shifting. A few blocks from my house, the engine light turned on and an alert to service the transmission came on. Just before I pulled on to my street I felt and heard three loud bangs that again made the car jerk like it had been hit from the rear. As I took off from a stop, it felt like the transmission was slipping. It just wouldn’t go. I pulled into the driveway and when I got out of the car, I noticed an odor like burnt oil. I called Royal Gate and was told to bring it in. Trip number 4 for the transmission. No problems on the way there. A week later, I got my car back. Again, I was told that it was a computer problem. I got home and when I was backing into the driveway, I heard and felt another bang. I called Royal Gate again. I also called Jeep Customer Care. They called me on 9-14-16. I talked to Ralph at 800 763-8422 extension 40786. My case number is 30042717. He told me that they are having problems with the nine speed transmission. He is going to try to get Royal Gate to fix the problem. He also told me to contact the agency that buys back cars that are messed up. I called 866 662-4639 extension 5. I got a recording from Rosemary Bass. I was instructed by recording to file my dispute with NCDSUSA.ORG. Then while on my way back from an appointment, there was more slipping. About every other time that I took off from a stop. On 10-01-16, I picked up my car for the sixth time. They couldn’t find anything wrong with it. I asked to speak with the store manager. While waiting, one of the sales people asked me what I needed. I told him that I was picking up my Jeep Cherokee for the sixth time. He laughed and said, “Transmission?” The manager was too busy to talk to me. He was in the middle of a deal. I thought the top of my head was going to blow off. I decided that it was time for me to go before I started getting loud. I have never seen a car dealership with such a poor sense of customer service. The last time that I brought the car in, two of the service people witnessed all of the problems that I brought it in for. Now all of a sudden, no one can find the problem. I got to Millstadt and it started acting up again. I buy new cars so that I don't have to spend time in the shop. What are my rights at this point? I don't have time for this. This is the busiest time of year for my business and I must have reliable transportation.

- Michael K., Belleville, IL, USA

Oct 282016

Cherokee TrailHawk 3.2L V6

Bothersome transmission, when going 10MPH and going into 2nd gear, feels as if someone is ramming into the rear bumper!!! Some quality control would be nice!

- tonynero23, Chicago, IL, USA

May 142016

Cherokee Limited 3.6L V6

the rough shifting is ridiculous. You can't even have a conversations because it startles you every other shift. It feels like the front end is going to come apart.

- Ryan B., Columbus, IN, USA

Aug 042016

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

I bought my Jeep brand new in November of 2014. It had 54 miles on it when I left the dealer. From day 1 it was having transmission issues. Every time I had the Jeep in for an oil change I complained about the issues with the transmisssion. Every time I complained I was told because there were no calibration updates or recalls on the transmission there was nothing they could do. I heard this from about 5 different dealers where I had the oil changed at.

Fast forward to recently when I went in for another oil change with almost 43,000 miles on the Jeep I once again complained about the issues with the transmission. This time I got a different response out of the service rep. Because the Jeep is now out of warranty they want to do something about it/ take a look at this issue but it's going to cost me money. How convenient, now that the warranty is gone they will acknowledge there is an issue. I imagine many Jeep owners with the 9 speed got the same treatment.

Is this how Chrysler should be treating their customers?? I want the name of a Chrysler executive so I can have them bend over and drive this piece of @#$% Jeep up their a@*!!!

- gt2013technician, Ypsilanti, MI, US

Aug 012015

Cherokee Altitude 3.2L V6

Rough shifting; the Cherokee would lurch forward during shifts and stutter.

- Joseph P., Hun, CA, USA

May 042016

Cherokee 4D 4x4 V6

The rough shifting in low gears is an annoyance and if it was just that, I'd probably not be writting this. The disengaging in an accelerated left turn was almost a T bone crash and very scarey. It's happened twice now and I've determined the conditions under which it happens. In both cases the conditions have been the same. I think the transmission gets confused and doesn't know what to do. It finally kicks into gear and you have a near miss on a T bone crash. I won't let anyone drive my vehicle, especially my kids, because I fear they will make the wrong move and end up in a crash. I know now what not to do and avoid the conditions, if at all possible. It is, my opinion, a design flaw. I've had this Jeep in the shop a couple times for transmission concerns and they are still a problem. I'm totally dissatisfied with the vehicle only because of the transmission. If I had my way, I'd be giving it back to the dealership.

The conditions, where the disengage / confusion on the transmission happens:

I live in Detroit, with heavy rush hour traffic. I travel on a two lane road to my house and it is at a crawling pace. I have to turn left into my subdivision. There is opposing traffic and limited openings to turn. You have to "hit it" to make your left turn between the opposing traffic cars (no stop light). When you hit it, the engine revs in that low gear and you are now into the opposing lane and you have seconds where you seem like you're just floating (no transmission engaged) through that lane. The opposing car is still coming at you. The trans finally jerks and engages and you squeal your tires to quickly get out of the way and not get hit. It's close enough that the opposing car beeps it's horn at you.

The two times it has happend, it has been this exact condition. This has a very high potential for an accident and is very unsafe! Thus, my children will not be driving this Jeep. It's bad, when you don't trust your vehicle (only 1 year old) to another person. I worry for their safety!

- Lisa W., Lake Orion, MI, USA

Apr 052016

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

Have been having intermittent rough shifting issues, somewhere between 2nd and 4th gear. On the up-shift, the transmission would randomly slam into gear. Sometimes just enough to be a nuisance, other times it was hard enough to think we were rear-ended. Took it to the dealership, but they were unable to reproduce the issue.

- David R., Panama City, FL, USA

Jan 012015

Cherokee Latitude

Wish I had not bought. It jerks and pulls forward. Doesn't go when you hit the gas then all of a sudden it will lurch forward. Terrible car.

- jurnack, CANTON, GA, USA

Jan 012016

Cherokee Latitude V6

This is a relatively new issue as it has been happenning after passing about 15k miles. Between gears 1 through 4 there has been a rough lounge, loud acceleration sound. It seems to be something that you would be used to in an older used car, not a 2015.

- jeepproblems, Elmwood Park, IL, USA

Jan 012016

Cherokee Sport 2.4L Inj 4 cyl Fwd

I love Jeeps and have owned more than one but I am beyond disappointed with the new Cherokee's. I will start by saying, I didn't do much research on these vehicles before purchase as I figured I was buying a brand new car, what could go wrong? My fault, lesson learned. Everything was great from the jump although I felt like the car drove fairly rough, especially for a new car. Lurching forward when I go to accelerate, sometimes taking a second to even move after my foots been on the gas. Jerking hard when it dropped under 1000 RPM's slowing down at a stop light or parking. It was a little disheartening but I tried to write it off figuring it was just how the car drove. Then I hit about the year mark of ownership and everything goes downhill. I am driving to work Saturday afternoon and I get rear ended. Nothing major, but the car definitely needed some fixing. After weeks of back and forth with the insurances I finally had a chance to get it in the shop. I make an appointment for Monday morning to drop it off. It's the Saturday before and again on my way to work, the battery light flashes on my dash and the car all of a sudden just stops, tells me to shift gears into park and then shift back to drive. Well, no such luck. Car is dead, won't start, but has power. The car is brand new, there's no way the battery is dead nor that there should be any transmission or engine issues. As I'm waiting for the tow truck to arrive, just for sh*ts and giggles I decide to try and turn the car on and voila! it works. I cautiously drive to work and miraculously make it in one piece although the car is definitely not driving right. On my way home that night the battery light flashed on again and right when I thought the car was going to die on me again in the middle of a turn, it jerked and made some grinding noises and then kept driving. Luckily I made it home and the car sat in the driveway until Monday morning when I had it towed to the shop. Tell them what happened and that it has always driven a little funny. They gave me a bunch of bullshit responses as to the drivability and the ins and outs of how these new 9 speed transmissions are in so many words, sh*t. Not that they would say that of course but that's all I heard. Had no real explanation as to why the car just died on me and looked pretty puzzled. Basically, these transmissions are all computer based which lets be real, technology is fantastic but it is not foolproof. And neither are these transmissions, clearly. So they told me about the software updates that they could check for and they also listed off many other ridiculous reasons such as multiple drivers causing issues as well as lets say something as simple as your windshield washer fluid light is on, that that could set off the system and cause these kinds of issues. You're telling me that because my windshield washer fluid is low or I need an oil change that that is going to cause my car to just cut off on me while I'm driving? As many others have stated, thank goodness I wasn't on the highway at this point or on a major road in the middle of traffic. I'm appalled at the fact that somehow there still hasn't been a recall on these transmissions or any significant fix to them because someone hasn't been severely injured or died. That is pure insanity. So now I'm stuck in a car that I don't feel safe driving in and you're basically telling me you did the software updates on it and everything is fine. I left the dealership having the same drivability issues and no peace of mind only to have my car cut off on me again, this morning. Same exact thing happened with the battery light flashing on and then it telling me to shift out of gear into park. I had to have it towed to the dealership again, this time having to pay out of pocket as well as now I have to pay for a rental car in the meantime and I can't do a damn thing until tomorrow morning as it is Sunday. So what is the resolution this time? A new transmission? Another reset or software update (That they don't inform you of when they come up, weird.)? A replacement car of the same vehicle? Or will I be treated like a customer looking for a brand new car with a trade in that is thousands of dollars upside down because it lost so much value in the first year of ownership, and end up paying hundreds of dollars a month for a car that is barely worth half that? All because there is no "significant evidence" that this is a real issue. I am really not sure where to go from here but am hoping to get some answers soon!

- Alexis K., Tampa, FL, US