2015 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems: rough shifting

Rough Shifting

2015 Jeep Cherokee (Page 1 of 3)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: How many transmission complaints can a new vehicle really receive? You'd be surprised. Unless you're a 2015 Cherokee owner, then I bet you're not surprised at all.

7.9

2. reset transmission (6 reports)
  3. update shifting software (4 reports)
  4. replace transmission (2 reports)
2015 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 012017

Cherokee Trailhawk V6

I have had my 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk for almost 2 years. It has recently been acting up while slowing down to a stop it jerks hard and during acceleration it hesitates and then it will kick in and jerk hard again. I took my car to a dealership to check into it and they told me it could be my brakes sticking (which it is not) it is something in the transmission. I am afraid it is going to leave me stranded or worse cause me to get into an accident if it decides to completely go out while I am driving. It is very annoying paying that much money for a vehicle and you are afraid to drive it and don't trust it. Sad they don't make cars like they used to! Dealerships are more worried about making money than selling people decent and safe vehicles.

- Sarah B., Logan, US

Feb 082017

Cherokee Trailhawk

This is the first time I brought my vehicle in on 2/8/17 to the Coon Rapids Chrysler Jeep for a recall and talked to the service man about the transmission down shifting hard and not shifting right into gear. They test drove it and told me they did not see an issue and these vehicles do shift funny and sent me on my way.

Update from Sep 28, 2017: On to the second time I brought my vehicle in on 5/17/17 to the Coon Rapids Chrysler Jeep for a leak on the rear gear box that was found be Valvoline when I had the oil changed and for the transmission. Again, I told the service man that it was getting worse and shifting really hard when down shifting and when driving it shifts hard. It also takes off (speeds up) when I let up on the brake, very dangerous in my eyes. I also told him about when I press the gas the RPM’s go really high but it seems the vehicle is not shifting into gear. They again test drove the vehicle and said they did not notice anything but did change out the transmission control module which should correct what I am feeling. That lasted about two days and it was doing the same thing.

Update from Sep 28, 2017: From the two days after I got my car back from the 5/19 appointment I just kept driving it thinking maybe it was me and I was imagining this. Low and behold I was imagining nothing because around 7/5/17 I was pulling away from a stop light and heard grinding and felt a clunk like feeling and my car would not move. Yep there I sat stalled in the middle of an intersection. I was towed in to the Brookdale Chrysler Jeep to have the work done on my vehicle being Coon Rapids Chrysler Jeep did not seem to care that I brought this vehicle in twice and still sent me on the road with a faulty vehicle not doing anything more than a test drive. If they would have looked a little further into this being something was obviously wrong with this vehicle. Anyhow, moving forward Brookdale Jeep put in a new all-wheel drive distributer and a few other things and sent me on my way. I’m Thinking YAY everything is good and happy with Jeep again. Unfortunately that did not last long. About two weeks after getting my vehicle back, low and behold the down shifting hard and shifting into gear hard starts again.

Update from Sep 28, 2017: On 8/18/17 the check engine light came on in my vehicle came on so I set up an appointment at Brookdale Chrysler Jeep to check that and the shifting issue again. I take the vehicle in and tell them it is having shifting issues again like before they need to look at the transmission. These are the notes from the invoice “after tapping on the esim the leak went away replaced esim retested evap system no leak was present”. They test drove the vehicle and here are the remarks from the test drive “Transmission upshifted harshly with A/C on under a cold start condition. After transmission reached operating temp the shift was normal for the 9 speed transmission the vehicle is equipped with. The hard shift is also normal for the nine speed”. So here is where my issue is, what is normal? Because I drove my Ford Escape for 11 years before I bought the vehicle of my dreams, or so I thought, and I want my 11 year old Escape back UGH. I was so happy I finally got a Jeep until about 6 months after I was in this vehicle, everything seems to have went downhill from there.

Update from Sep 28, 2017: Not done yet though, on 9/22 the check engine light came on AGAIN! I have an appointment to bring the vehicle in tomorrow 9/28 to the Brookdale Chrysler Jeep to have that checked along with the transmission AGAIN. I think I may lose my mind at this point. I have a vehicle with 36,000 miles on it that has been nothing but a problem and all I keep getting from the service guys is no, that is normal, HUH? will update once again because I am sure this will not be fixed ever

- Annmarie K., Minneapolis, US

Feb 012017

Cherokee Latitude V6

This is the 3rd or 4th time I've brought my car into the dealership for this issue, and unfortunately, not the last time. As usual, they did an "computer update" to the onboard computer. The car shifts extremely roughly, especially at 30 and 40 MPH (I think somewhere around 3rd, 4th and 5th gears). I still have the issue on deceleration, where the RPMs jump up, just as a pull to a stop, jerking my car forward.

I was still unaware of this transmission issue (didn't find out until May 2017). Stupid me, for not doing what I tell my students to do, and use my fingers to find the answers!

- Helen P., San Antonio, US

Jul 102017

Cherokee Latitude V6

This is the 4th time in almost as many months that I have brought my Jeep in for the same transmission problems. I am less than 2000 miles away from losing my warranty, which means "I'm screwed"!

All the problems that I've seen online are exactly the problems that I am having. Acceleration upon downshift, making car jerk forward. No acceleration from a stop, making the car just sit there for a second, before it moves, rough shifting (especially at 30 and 40 MPH), making a loud popping sound and jerking my car when it finally does jump into the correct gear. The only issue I haven't had is the car just stopping. CAN"T WAIT!!!

- Helen P., San Antonio, US

Jun 012015

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6 24 valve

I have NEVER been more disappointed in a vehicle (and the dealership from which I purchased it) in my life. This is an intermittent problem. It happens several times a week, albeit not every time I go from a standstill (or reverse) into first gear. The car shifts so roughly that I (and any passengers) are literally jolted in our seats. The car has been to the dealership four or five times and they have never been able to find out what's causing this. Software updates provided by Jeep have not fixed the problem. It is as bad now as it was when I first purchased the vehicle. I am at my wits end as to what, if anything, can be done to fix this.

Extremely disappointed Jeep Cherokee owner in Southern California.

- ojainan, Ojai, US

Apr 042017

Cherokee Lattitude V6

I have my 2015 Jeep Cherokee which i only drive to work basically on Fridays and I take on trips out of town, the vehicle started by having rough rough changes when changing from 3rd to 4th. At times I would drive the vehicle and have it on cruise control and would have to brake due to traffic. Once the traffic got lighter I would resume the cruise speed and the car would do a horrible change like a jump when changes gears.

I took the vehicle to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle and was told that was due to the vehicle having a nine gear transmission and that the problem I was advising them about was truly normal. Yet about two weeks later the check engine light came on and the cluster was advising the start and stop system needed to be serviced. When took the vehicle to the dealership I was advised the vehicle needed a new transmission and was told the transmission would be replaced.

- Ruben P., Miami Gardens, US

Aug 012016

Cherokee Latitude 3.2L V6

In lower speeds / gears, the transmission intermittently "jerks" into the next gear. It sounds like a loud thunk. Seems to be getting worse the last 5K miles (45K to 50K).

- Jon C., Jenison, MI, US

Jul 212016

Cherokee Trailhawk V6

Same hard upshifting that another logged I just read. Getting more frequent. Going to take it to the dealer. Feels like the 99 suburban locking "torque converter" that failed to disengage. Only part of that trans salvaged was the case. $2300. Out of warranty of course.

- Glenn J., Apple Valley, CA, USA

May 042017

Cherokee Latitude 3.2L, V6

This has been an ongoing issue for the last 2 years. The transmission sporadically shifts very hard. I have taken it in several times and they have reprogrammed the transmission but that does not help. The last two times I took it in they could not do anything because they said when they ran diagnostics it showed nothing wrong and they could not get it to happen on their test drive.

- Cathy K., Livonia, US

Aug 032016

Cherokee Latitude V6

My 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 4x4 has had a quirky jerky transmission from day 1... I researched it and gave it time to "adjust" (adaptive blah blah blah....)... Initially the problem was mainly just a sluggish start in first gear with a pronounced shutter/shimmy... This issue was fairly consistent but the severity came and went... It seems either I have adjusted or that issue has gotten a little better.... BUT... unfortunately at about the 20,000 mile mark the shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear have started getting very rough unless I am being aggressive with the throttle... It doesn't always do it but it seems much more likely to happen if you are reducing throttle at around 30-35 mph... It seems to be getting more frequent and rougher, sometimes so hard that passengers gasp and ask "WTF was that!?"... I am taking it in and requesting a reflash of the tranny software next week... When I talked to the service manager I asked him if they could do the reflash for me and he initially said "well... we will see... we might could blah blah blah... we will see IF there is "something available".... blah blah blah".... So I came back with "Either you can or you can't do the reflash... so can you do that for me??...".... he answers "well... ugh... yes... I think we can do that".... What kind of BS crap have they been told to tell owners!!! I was going to leave the car and come back but I think I'll hang around and ask to see them reprogram the computer... I really hope that the transmission manufacturer has fixed the software... IF that's even the issue...

- benjaminnc, Siler City, NC, USA

Mar 152017

Cherokee Latitude V6

Very slow shifting from park to drive and when shifting gears. Will squeal tires if I don't wait before accelerating when shifted from park to drive. Engine revs, transmission finally shifts and engaged with high engine rpm. Dealer has reprogrammed 4 times and said they can't do any more. No solution from Jeep.

- Terry L., Palm Harbor, US

Jan 022016

Cherokee Trailhawk V6

It has been pain in the butt, this rough shifting on low gear with 9 speed transmission.

Jeep doesn't know how to fix this.

- Alex H., Chicago, IL, US

Jul 302015

Cherokee Limited V6

Hard shift from first to second. If you do a complete stop, shifts ok.

- Steve F., Rockford, US

Sep 082016

Cherokee Limited

2nd repair for the same problem and this "new" software update didn't help either. Jeep still slams into 2nd gear and jerks your neck back like you were rear ended. Also sometimes when I put on the brakes it just keeps going and will not down shift until after a few second delay. Very scary.

- Michele Q., Palm Desert, CA, US

Jul 012015

Cherokee Trailhawk 2.4L I4

The 9 speed transmission in my 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk is the worst transmission I have ever had the displeasure of operating in a vehicle. It has had shifted very roughly since day 1 of owning my Jeep. Gears 1-3 shift the roughest. The transmission takes a very long time to down shift when the accelerator pedal is depressed in order to pass another vehicle. It fails to maintain a constant speed while using cruise control if I'm driving anywhere that isn't flat and level. Gears 8 and 9 seem to be non existent. I cannot even get my transmission to shift into them using the sport controls no matter what speed I am traveling at. I took my Jeep into my local dealership to have the transmission recall serviced, in hopes that would help. They replaced the recall part and also informed me that there was a software update they accomplished on the Jeep while they serviced the transmission recall. The software update and recall service they performed not only failed to fix the rough shifting issues, I now am getting worse gas mileage than I've ever had. I mostly drive highway miles in my Jeep. Before I took it in to get serviced for the transmission recall, I was averaging 24 mpg on the highway. Now, I am only averaging 20 mpg. Ridiculous. I'm fed up with it and would rather trade it in for a new vehicle. That's disappointing to me because aside from the transmission issues, because I love my Trailhawk...

- David K., Crestview, US

Aug 192016

Cherokee 2.4L

This is the third time I have had my vehicle in for the transmission. It pauses during acceleration and shifts hard. It seems like when it's going into 2nd gear is when it has the most problem. The car pauses then clunks and jerks into 2nd gear. This pause is, in traffic, is going to cause an accident. Everytime I take it in they just reset the transmission, tell me there's nothing else they can do, and to get used to it because it's just how the new 9-speed transmission is. Are you f*&% kidding me?! This is getting ridiculous.

Mar 182016

Cherokee 2.4L

A month into ownership of my vehicle I was back in the shop. The transmission has a hesitation so that when you accelerate from a stop the car pauses, then clunks and jerks forward. This is unacceptable, especially when crossing lanes of traffic. I took my vehicle back in to the dealership. They reset the transmission computer, again. "Give it another 500-1000 miles to smooth out", they say. Okay, here we go again.

Feb 082016

Cherokee 2.4L

On this day I set out to buy this 2015 Jeep Cherokee. It was in the used car lot as a dealer car. It had very low miles and was relatively new. (manufacture date of 05/14) When I took it out for a test drive I noticed the hard shifting and pausing then jerking to shift. I should of run at that moment, but I really liked the car otherwise. I mentioned it to the dealer who told me it's a 4-cyl. and it just does that. I told him no, it's not right. He sent it to the shop for a check and they reset the transmission. (the first of many) When I drove it again it seemed better and they explained to me how it would remain a bit jerky for the first thousand miles or so until it gets used to my driving. I bit, and I bought. Needless to say, my car has been back in the shop many more times, but that's another complaint.

Oct 282016

Cherokee 2.4L

Fifth time in the shop for the same issue. Transmission pausing, lurching when upshifting, or downshifting, pausing while accelerating. This time I made the service manager come for a drive with me. I made him drive. Every other time I had brought my car in, they told me the technician couldn't replicate the problem. I don't think they ever drove it! This time the service manager did replicate the issue. He confirmed everything that I had been telling him. He filed a technical complaint with Fiat. Their response was a new transmission. I don't know why it took five times to get something remedied. I received the new transmission. The shifting problem is better but the pause during accelerating is still there. It's almost like my car has to "think" about what it wants to do. I'm still not 100% happy, but I will admit, it is better.

Oct 222016

Cherokee Lattitude 3.2L V6

I purchased my Jeep Cherokee Sept 2015, after 11 months it developed a loud nose shifting from 4th to 5th while going up a hill plus it shifts ruff. Had it in the shop three times, 4th time they told me that there was nothing the could do and I lt. Reported it to Jeep, on 2/10/17 they had a Tech adviser from Jeep come in an look at it. I never received a follow up call. I saw the Jeep in the lot when I went to a nearby business. I called the dealer after the shop closed and was told that it was completed. I was told by the cashier that they did not find anything wrong. Not sure if they attempted to duplicate the problem, it does not happen all the time. They constantly tel me it does not throw a code. They did numerous updates on the first three times I was there and nothing. Sad to say the noise is still there. When it makes the noise you can feel a vibration on the passenger floor boards and it is loud enough for the passenger to hear it. I guess I will drive it until it falls apart and get rid of it. I was not looking to have to replace my car since I am 1 1/2 yrs way from retirement. I had two Jeeps prior to this that I loved. I liked this one at first but I will be damned if I buy another Chrysler Product. Sad to say my son works for the dealer ship I bought ti at

- clint0722, New Oxford, PA, USA