ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

7.0

2019 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2019 Jeep Cherokee:

2019 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments

Oct 102018

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

The problem occurs (since the day I bought it) when I take my foot off the gas and let the Cherokee slow its rate of speed, then put my foot back on the gas. Whether I gently reapply pressure to the gas pedal or do so with great gusto, the transmission "clunks" when it reengages. Sometimes it's a faint noise and other times it does it hard enough that it's clearly felt throughout the vehicle. This is extremely annoying and a bit concerning.

My salesman told me that it's the auto start/stop feature that's causing the Cherokee to do that, so I could just turn the start/stop off every time I get in the vehicle. That would be annoying in and of itself. However, disengaging the feature does NOT stop the Cherokee's transmission from "clunking".

This makes me wonder if parts of my drive-line will fail sooner than they otherwise would've. Even if it was the auto start/stop feature making this problem occur (again, turning it off doesn't help) it's never happened on any other vehicle I've been in or driven that has the start/stop feature.

I should've kept my freaking Nissan. It had its own quirks but nothing that was a problem. I miss my Nissan and I'll be danged if I ever get another Jeep.

- Josh C., Brown Summit, US

May 102018

Cherokee

A week after buying the vehicle I started to feel it shift rough and hard. Can literally hear it shift like metal on metal. Usual manual shift function to determine the loud metal clanking sound and upon re-engaging accelerator pedal happens in 5th gear and higher, EVERY TIME. Got progressively worse and took it to the dealer. Was told after a they test drove with me that- "oh well, that's how its made"-- REALLY?!?! -This is very disheartening. A brand new 2019 vehicle. I feel like a jackazz for buying this POS.

- sadjeepowner, Belmar, US

Jul 082018

Cherokee Latitude Plus 2.4L

I purchased a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Latitude Plus 4x4 on 06/11/2018. Since purchasing the vehicle I have multiple issues with the transmission. It has flashed a message on my dashboard to "restart vehicle in park at zero speed" which resulted in being able to push the gas but go no where. This message has popped up a total of 4 times.

The Cherokee has also had multiple instances where is won't up shift or down shift causing the RPM to stay around 3,500 to 4,000 RPMS, this has happened both while set on cruise and without cruise control. I took the Cherokee in for an appointment to the dealership on 07/11/2018 where they reprogrammed the transmission and did a quick learn due to them verifying the hard shifting. No error codes came up for them when they ran a diagnostics.

On 08/16/2018 I dropped the Cherokee off for a second appointment due to transmission issues again with hard shifting, lag time in response trying to take of or speed up and again the transmission shutting down with the message displayed on the dash to "restart vehicle in park as zero speed". I was told no errors codes have come up again and they say the transmission is performing as it should. It's really disappointing that I have brand new vehicle and I am already having these issues.

- Brian T., Pittsburgh, US

Apr 302018

Cherokee Latitude Plus 2.4L

A week after buying the vehicle I started to feel it shift rough and hard. Can literally hear it shift like metal on metal. Got progressively worse and took it to the dealer. Was told need a new transmission valve body. This is very disheartening. A brand new 2019 vehicle. I did research on this car before I bought it. It seems the 2014 and 2015 models were the ones with the transmission problems. There was not much complaint-wise after those years, so I thought I would give it a shot as the vehicle was reasonably priced and had everything I wanted. Well, it seems this 2019 is experiencing the exact same issues as the 2014 and 2015 models.

I have read reports about dealers just jumping through the hoops for Chrysler and not actually being able to fix the problem. In fact, I have read reports on-line that dealers have replaced the transmission valve body multiple times. Obviously, the transmission valve body is not the issue! I guess I am at the mercy at the moment as this is the first time I have taken it in. I have it scheduled to be replaced and will post updates. It is the start of an uphill battle with this crap 9 speed transmission.

I will be submitting another complaint regarding the engine shutting down as that recently happened. Kind of ironic that my 2019 has these two problems currently that the 2014 and 2015 had the highest reported complaints....transmission issues and engine shutting down.

Update from Oct 19, 2018: Valve body replaced for the transmission but problem still exists. Took vehicle back in and was told that is just how the 9 speed transmission works and even if they replaced the transmission it would do the same. Tech stated they have known about the transmission issues since 2014 on these vehicles. OK, so wait, you verified there was a problem and did a major repair that did not fix the problem. So depressing.

- cweb98, Lincoln, US