CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn't seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It's worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Swedish Magazine's "moose test". The test measures a vehicle's ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn't want to hit while driving down the road ... like a moose.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Jan 012018

Grand Cherokee

Ticking sound from passenger side exhaust header when cold. Possible gasket or header crack

- Cornwall On Hudson, NY, USA

Jul 212019

Grand Cherokee

I was driving on the highway on 7/21/19 and my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee's engine seized. The car had to be towed and now Jeep has a 2 month waiting list for the hemi motor (which apparently this is a known problem for - that is why the waiting list is so long). It will be over $8000 to fix and I still owe on the loan for the car that I have had less than 3 years. If hemi motors are a problem, Jeep should make them with V6 not the hemi V8 motors. There is no recall for this as of now. I am stuck without a vehicle to get to work and a large loan for a useless Jeep that I can't drive. It has 90,000 miles on it. Why is Jeep allowed to continue to make these if they are such issues. Why is there not a recall on hemi engines in Jeep? then when you try to call Jeep corporate they claim they return calls once a week (which they don't) and the customer service reps told me "thing happen". this is a terrible way of doing business and as a Jeep owner for many many years I will never buy a Jeep again. Hopefully this happens enough that they will need to do a recall and I can recoup some of my money back.

- Stratford, CT, USA

Apr 042019

Grand Cherokee

After failing inspection it was in shop 6 weeks for repair but was not repaired! it misses more than ever, most often during idle & has difficulty starting at times & you can smell gas sometimes making me fear it will catch fire.

- Candler, NC, USA

Jul 012019

Grand Cherokee

I have less than 76K miles on my Jeep. I have been the only owner, taking exceptional care of my Jeep, always getting oil changes on time and maintenance with very few city miles on my Jeep and I am having to pay 10K for a new motor and camshaft.

- Lakeway, TX, USA

Jul 162019

Grand Cherokee

I recently purchased this vehicle and it completely shuts off unexpectedly. When it does it affects both the braking and the steering. The first time I was stopped at a light and was an easy fix but the 2nd time I was getting off an exit around 50 mph. I have young children and now I am scared to drive them around in it. I know in not the only one this is happens, there's complaints all over the internet. There should be a recall before someone dies.

- West Springfield, MA, USA

May 152019

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving, the engine shut off without warning. The contact was able to guide the vehicle to the shoulder. The vehicle was taken to yark Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram Fiat (6019 central ave, toledo, oh 43615, (419) 877-7712) where it was diagnosed that the spark plugs needed to be replaced at 95,000 miles. The failure recurred, but the contact had not been able to reach the dealer again. The contact researched the failure and found that the totally integrated power module failed. The vehicle was not included in a recall. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- Toledo, OH, USA

May 012019

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle struggles to start when starter button engaged.

- Whiteville, NC, USA

Jul 012019

Grand Cherokee

My Jeep has an ignition/starting problem. It will try to start but just keeps turning over. After 10 seconds it will stop then it will usually start after. Online it says the timp could be the problem.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 072019

Grand Cherokee

My vehicle has decided to start bogging around 35mph. It has continually done this for a week and has decided to start driving horrible. It does not drive like it has been. We are going to check what the problem might be Sunday (7/7/2019) and attempt to fix. My Jeep is no longer covered under warranty.

- Heidrick, KY, USA

Jun 222019

Grand Cherokee

My engine light has decided to light up in my Jeep randomly one day after starting it. After scanning it, it shows code P0522. The research I have done has shown it usually shows the oil light when it is that code. So as a result, I have had my oil changed again and I have ordered a oil pressure sensor/sender hoping that will fix all my problems which will be installed next Sunday (7/7/2019). I also had to change the water pump because it had a crack in it, the thermostat just for precautionary measures, and the belt because it had a tear in it about half the size of the width. All of this to try to figure out the problem with the engine light and the scanner showing the code P0522. So we will see if that actually fixes the problem.

- Heidrick, KY, USA

May 252019

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the vehicle was parked, it took multiple attempts to start the engine. The vehicle was taken to an unknown dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 242019

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle shook violently and the check engine indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to jacksonville Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram arlington (9600 atlantic blvd, jacksonville, fl 32225, (877) 677-5782) to be diagnosed, but the cause of the failure was not determined. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 082019

Grand Cherokee

Engine stalls for no reason under braking and deceleration. Happens more often when braking and turning. Loss of power steering when it happens. Does not happen frequently, more often in the cold when the car has been started. Cant replicate it when car is hot. Dangerous when it has happened on exit ramps as car has to be controlled with no power steering and car has to come to a complete stop, put in park where it has always restarted. People behind me not happy when stopping on exit ramps. Have brought to dealer after it has happened and the car has not thrown any codes. There is not real pattern to this stalling, but, having to stop the car to restart it posses a danger of getting rear ended. Happens at speeds between 30 to 60. Happens most frequently in rotaries (roundabouts) when slowing down to enter.

- Smithfield, RI, USA

May 212019

Grand Cherokee

When getting off the expressway or highway my truck cuts off when I exit for my stop no power or control of the power steering.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 272019

Grand Cherokee

Push button start does not work. Fuel pump is not working properly to allow the vehicle to start. The vehicle has stalled out on a freeway. Will not start while stationary. I have to tap the fuel pump in order to start the vehicle

- Painesville, OH, USA

Apr 252015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to athens Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram (4145 atlanta hwy, athens, ga 30606, (706) 549-7555) to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the transmission cooler, atf (automatic transmission fluid) needed to be replaced, there were multiple cylinder misfire, camshaft position sensor and the spark plugs needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The contact stated that the failure recurred four times. The manufacturer was contacted but no further assistance was provided. The failure mileage was 38,705. The VIN was not available.

- Greensboro, GA, USA

Dec 012018

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the vehicle was parked, the contact was unable to start the vehicle with the main key fob. The contact stated that the spare key fob had to be used. Also, while driving unknown speeds, the vehicle started to stall. The vehicle was taken to scranton Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram (located at 1146 Wyoming ave, scranton, pa 18509, (570) 344-1261) where it was diagnosed that the key fob needed to be replaced. The part was replaced in December of 2018, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the receiver needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was not provided.

- Claks Summit, PA, USA

Apr 252019

Grand Cherokee

Braking from ~35mph to make a right turn at traffic lights the car just stalls without any indication of issue. No power steering or brakes. All electronics still functional. Coast to to a stop at the side of the road, fighting the heavy steering to avoid cars in the on coming lane, place in park press brake pedal and hit start button, and the car starts right up. Drive to dealership (prime Jeep in saco, Maine). Steering module clock spring was replaced last year (August 2018) as the supposed cause for this exact stalling problem that was happening last year.

- Kennebunkport, ME, USA

Apr 032019

Grand Cherokee

Engine failure. It's currently at the shop and they're saying I need to rebuild or replace the engine. I have the 5.7L hemi with 76,000 miles on it.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 282019

Grand Cherokee

Having issues starting the vehicle will attempt to start but will not turn over as if the fuel pump or relay is not kicking in. Vehicle was parked attempted to start has an extended crank.

- Tempe, AZ, USA