ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: On August 16th, 2012 Jeep stopped production of the the Jeep Liberty, marking the end of a troublesome journey for the SUV.

All in all, the 2012 Liberty actually excels off-road, but since 99% of drivers never take this thing off pavement, that becomes somewhat of a moot point. The Liberty suffers from the worst fuel economy in its class (16/22 MPG) and offers an uncomfortable ride with suspect braking ability.

2012 Jeep Liberty electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Liberty:

2012 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 072018

Liberty

Tipm issue. All dash lights come on. All gauges drop to zero except fuel gauge. Ac stops working. Car still runs and is drivable, but you can't see your speed limit. I feel this should be recalled as this could potentially be very dangerous. This can happen while stationary or driving. Issue seems to come and go, but problem sticks around more than not.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Jul 092018

Liberty

Well serviced vehicle with 88,000 miles. Driving on a residential street when smoke began coming out of climate vents. Noted engine temperature gauge at normal. Stopped the car and turned off. Fire noted under the hood near the windshield. Within minutes, the car became fully engulfed and burned completely before fire department could arrive.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Apr 012018

Liberty

Moon roof that came with the car not weather resistant. Entire roof came off during a drive

- Cliffside Park, NJ, USA

Jan 052018

Liberty

All of the dashboard lights are on. Speedometer, odometer, gps, automatic door lock, remote start, cruise control, none of that works. Tire pressure warning lights are constantly flashing different pressures. Everything lights up upon starting and stays on while moving until it's turned off. This initially happened when I was driving on a highway, and my first reaction was that I didn't have any brakes. It was quite frightening. Subsequent to that the lights would go on and off intermittently, but after a few months they are now permanently on. The dashboard also makes a ping noise every minute or so. I purchased the car in 2017 and this had not been a problem until a few months ago. The known danger is in not knowing how fast I am going. The unknown danger is could the brakes at some point not work, or if I become involved in an accident will the air bags not deploy or will the engine at some point just stop running. I have been told it could be a faulty tipm. I also have a 2008 Jeep Liberty that does not have this problem, however it suffers from the same dashboard random ping noise.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Mar 012018

Liberty

When driving the odometer flashes between the mileage and the word "gate". when parked the word "gate" comes up and goes on and off. If the doors are locked the alarm goes on doesn't shut off until the alarm is turned off. When parked and doors are not locked the word "gate" comes up and goes on and off as well.

- Old Bridge, NJ, USA

Mar 022018

Liberty

Since I bought my Jeep almost one month ago Iżve already had to replace the rear hatch actuator tonight ( 4 weeks after replacing it) my cat is giving me same error message that the rear gate is open and alarm goes off by itself. Panic button doesnżT turn it off so apparently it's not the alarm disgaging. I go out to car open and close make sure it's properly sealed and horn goes off again. This is completely ridiculous. Am I going to drop $400 on my car once a month to be able to lock my car or have my dash lights in while I drive at night or is that to much to ask of Jeep?

- Lemoyne, PA, USA

Jan 182018

Liberty

Doors will not lock, with either the button or fob, and automatic lights occasionally do not work. The mechanic said it was the totally integrated power module and would cost @ 1100 to replace. This is 2nd time it has to be replaced. @ 2-3 years ago the horn kept beeping and the tipm had to be replaced

- Lyndhurst, NJ, USA

Nov 152017

Liberty

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the heater box did not produce heat. The dealer was not contacted. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician replaced the heater box. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and did not offer assistance. Additionally, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 13V282000 (electrical system, air bags) and 17V640000 (seats, air bags). The failure mileage was 85,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Dec 282017

Liberty

Takata recall: Manufacturer numbert56 NHTSA recall number17V-640; took vehicle to hall Jeep autogroup: Not told parts unavailable for repair - found out only by reading the receipt after 3 hours at dealer. Vehicle only has 69,285 miles and suffering failures: Steering rack assembly: Not told my steering failed an inspection - power steering leak noted on receipt; repair estimate $1,600. I had been driving under normal conditions and found out inadvertently when I brought my vehicle to dealer for airbag recall. Heat blower abruptly stopped working: Power module determined to have shorted; repair estimate $235; normal driving conditions, suddenly stopped blowing heat

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 012017

Liberty

My airbag light came on and will not go out. The dealer checked it and said I need a new occupant restraint module. It is my understanding that this is a common complaint for these cars. Is there a recall that covers this problem?

- Sparrows Point, MD, USA

Sep 072017

Liberty

On occasion the right side of the speedometer will not light up. Contacted Chrysler about this issue for assistance but said that it was too old (the Jeep didn't leave the dealership lot till 2013 so 4 year old) took it in and they said the dash is failing. They also stated that the light are integrated in to the bored. The Jeep only has 40,000 miles on the odometer and should not be failing so early. This happens while moving or sitting.this is a safety issue due to not being able to see the speed and they came out and said the the dash is failing and needs to be replaced. I will add that a new cluster just for the part is $400.

- Lambertville, MI, USA

Sep 302017

Liberty

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. Upon starting the vehicle, the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to dick hannah Dodge (3517 ne auto mall dr, vancouver, wa 98662 (360) 944-3276) where it was diagnosed with a defective orc module. The contact stated that the vehicle was serviced per NHTSA campaign number: 13V282000 (electrical system, air bags). The contact stated that the recall remedy stated that the dealer would flash the totally integrated power module (tipm) or replace the module. The contact stated that the dealer flashed the tipm; however, since the remedy failed, the manufacturer and dealer needed to replace the module per the recall remedy. The dealer stated that the manufacturer would only pay for flashing the tipm. The contact stated that the manufacturer was made aware of the failure and did not assist. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Oct 092017

Liberty

My Jeep has had trouble switching from defrost to vent or floor since I purchased it. Recently I have been unable to use the heat in my Jeep and it is very cold in the mornings. I have been advised it is the HVAC blend door actuator. I have read reviews online with a lot of people having the same issues and was also advised by a coworker that Jeep have a lot of recalls for problems such as this. I would like to report the issue in the event the Jeep could be recalled for this before I spend a large amount of money trying to have it repaired. The heat will not work at all, it does not matter if the vehicle is in motion or sitting in park. My passenger window will not roll down when being attempted from the passenger side. The driver has to roll the window down. My Jeep was in park and another vehicle backed into it, slightly bumping the front bumper of my Jeep. My Jeep was in park with no passengers inside but rolled backwards several feet. The Jeep was barely tapped therefore, considering it was in park, should not have rolled backwards that far. I travel with kids in my vehicle, this is frightening.

- Clintwood, VA, USA

Sep 032017

Liberty

2012 Jeep Liberty occupant restraint controller 2 module has an internal failure and needs to be replaced to restore air bag functionality air bags will not deploy until fixed every other year Jeep had a recall for this except 2012 the air bag light is on in the dashboard at all times there was a recall to reprogram the tipm module but not to replace the orc module.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

May 282017

Liberty

For the past few months I have had electric issues with my car; I.e power doors lock/unlock doesn't work at all, back windshield wiper doesn't work, windows will not roll up, and dimming/flickering of interior/exterior lights which are all due to a faulty tipm. Which I have been informed is a very expensive fix. As of today as I was driving with cruise control on my car had a mind of it's own and accelerated to a higher speed revving the car up to 4000 rpms on a flat straight road. I tried to turn off and cancel cruise control on the steering wheel with which did nothing. I then pressed the break several times and again nothing. After having a complete panic attack and trying everything I could to turn cruise off it eventual went off on it's own. I have been made aware but other individuals having similar electric problems all caused by a faulty tipm. This is a very dangerous issue and there needs to be a recall. Is it going to take someone dying for Chrysler to care?

- Butler, GA, USA

May 032017

Liberty

2nd occurrence., lift gate light came on the instrument panel app 4 days ago, made sure door was closed. Light remain on. Then today, horn sounded while car was parked in my secured garage. I have contacted the dealership. They require a fee to put on dianostic machine. Then $200 for a lift gate sensor which they claim may not remedy the issue plus labor! I don't have money to waste on maybe's.

- Sylvania, OH, USA

Mar 232017

Liberty

Gate latch says it's open and interior lights won't go off. It will go away then after rain will come back on. Ongoing issue

- Worcester, MA, USA

Mar 102015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. While driving various speeds, warning lights on the instrument panel inadvertently illuminated and the instrument panel lighting dimmed. In addition, the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the multi-functional electrical system module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V282000 (electrical system, air bags). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 71,182. The VIN was not available.

- San Bernardino, CA, USA

Feb 242017

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that there was an abnormal noise coming from the sunroof. The contact stated that the sunroof would not connect to lock and that no warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the sunroof needed to be replaced the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 43,692. Updated 06/08/17 the vehicle has been repaired. Updated 10/13/2017

- Killeen, TX, USA

Jan 172017

Liberty

Faulty tipm, front window washer not functioning, keyless entry issues, engine starting issues, etc.

- Cumberland, MD, USA