CarComplaints.com Notes: Poor side crash test ratings from the IIHS are really no surprise.

2012 Jeep Wrangler steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Wrangler:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Aug 222016

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a "death wobble". while driving approximately 50 mph, the steering column shook from side to side and the wheels lifted off the pavement. The vehicle was taken to lakeland Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram (2875 mall hill dr, lakeland, fl 33810, (863) 687-2501) to be diagnosed, but they could find the cause of the "death wobble." The dealer suggested replacing several parts, including the axle, which alone would cost over $3,000. The contact had the vehicle serviced for wheel alignments, new tires, new rims, new wheel bearings, new axles, new hubs, new half shafts, new ball joints, new tie rods, anti-sway bars, bushing springs, shocks, alignment brackets, and steering dampeners. The failure recurred. The manufacturer had not been contacted. The manufacturer placed a metric bolt into a nine sixteenths hole for the front anti-sway "track bar" at both ends of the axle at the mounting location bracket upon the axle. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Auburndale, FL, USA

Aug 042018

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. While driving approximately 10 mph and making a left turn, the steering seized and the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle; however, the vehicle stalled once again. The vehicle was towed to lee's summit Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram (1051 SE oldham pkwy, lee's summit, mo 64081, (816) 525-9825) where it was diagnosed that the main body wiring harness was wrapped around the steering column, which caused the vehicle to stall when the steering wheel was turned to the left. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- Raytown, MO, USA

Mar 062018

Wrangler

Joint between pitman arm and tie rod failed, leaving no steering while going down the highway at 70 mph in a straight-away. Under many circumstances this could have lead to a deadly crash. There was no forewarning of pending joint failure (no noise, vibration, sloppy steering, etc). Vehicle was serviced several times in the preceding 3 months. No mechanics observed wear of this joint. 105K miles on vehicle.

- Ortonville, MI, USA

Apr 012017

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

2012 Jeep sahara. Consumer writes in regards to tensioner arm and serpentine belt failure. The consumer stated the vehicle lost its steering. The tensioner arm seized shredding the serpentine belt which lodged into the engine. The consumer requested to reimbursed for the repairs. Updated 09/25/2017

- Valhalla, NY, USA

Oct 022015

Wrangler

I was involved in a single vehicle accident on 10/2/2015 involving 2012 Jeep Wrangler, my vehicle jerked to the right suddenly causing me to lose control. The Jeep was jerked off the road into a ditch on the right, hit the front end of the ditch and was launched airborne, then crashed on the cement wall of a second ditch, bouncing twice before landing in the ditch and hitting the front end of that ditch. I repeatedly slammed on my brakes but they did not engage. My airbags did not deploy. My seat belt tensioner did not engage, causing me to be thrown forward and backwards repeatedly. I suffered a closed head injury and herniations to multiple discs in my neck as well as trauma to the facet joints in my neck, resulting in severe foraminal stenosis at multiple levels that requires neurosurgical intervention. I slammed my head on the steering wheel 4 times, my chest once. This accident forever changed my life. I have repeatedly called fca to file a formal complaint, am always told someone will call me back. It's been almost two years and no one has called me back. I was given a case number and told someone would come look at my vehicle to inspect it, never happened. As I face urgent surgery to my spine with pain to my neck radiating down my right arm, all I can think about is Chrysler. They recalled 2016-2017 Jeep Wrangler for faulty wiring of the occupant restraint control module, as well as Jeep patriots and compasses made the same year as my vehicle along with millions of other Chrysler vehicles. Fca refuses to return my phone calls, how many more people are they ignoring? they need see what happens when they don't recall all vehicles built with the same components, knowing there are more vehicles not included in the recall that pose a safety risk.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Dec 152016

Wrangler

I've spent $1500 attempting to fix the wobbling in my steering wheel, and the problem still exists. I've also spent $700 on a poorly designed rear oil seal. That is a known problem with Jeep.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Nov 222016

Wrangler

My vehicle clock spring has gone out. My vehicle has 45000 miles and is a model year 2012. Other years, specifically 2008-2011 have been recalled for the very same thing. Also 2012 RHD models have been recalled for the very thing. My airbag light chimes and is illuminated when driving the vehicle, whenever I turn left, right or stop or accelerate.

- Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

Sep 232016

Wrangler

Tipm went out lost all control of the vehicle while traveling 55 mph! could have be a deadly situation! Jeep needs to have a recall asap....

- Kingston, TN, USA

Dec 162015

Wrangler

The death wobble is a terrifying experience, especially when it occurs for the first time. So far, the issue has occurred at 40-50 mph on a two way road. During the several times that it has occurred, I thought that a crash would be inevitable if I didn't stop the car right away. The steering is barely controllable and it gets to the point where you think that the car will swerve off the road or likely flip. I am not only worried about my own safety, but also the safety of other on the road. I have been lucky and have been able to stop the car in time. I am very hesitant to let anyone drive the vehicle because of this issue. If you are not expecting it, the wobble is truly terrifying. I cannot believe that a company has such poor design quality. This issue should be acknowledged by the company and a fix should be provided before someone gets hurt. Less than a year after taking the vehicle to the mechanic, the issue has resurfaced and now it is even worse. It truly is a safety concern at this point.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Aug 312014

Wrangler

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V234000 (power train, steering), 14V631000 (electrical system, visibility), and 16V352000 (air bags) however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Feb 122016

Wrangler

Tipm failure. Failure also affected starter and steering module. Initially vehicles lights and horn would go on without vehicle turned on. Doors lock and unlock by themselves. Ac and heater would shut down and restart. On these instances, dealership was advised, I was told that it was a code problem and codes were reset. Lately vehicle would downshift to first gear at both high and slow speeds causing a hazard in traffic. From a start position vehicle would not shift out of first gear. Vehicle engine would die out in traffic or turnover then die out as if fuel pump was failing. Instrumentation panel would flash and malfunction not allowing driver to see what gear indication was showing. Vehicle power steering would fail at various speeds causing dangerous situations. Last instance the vehicle was towed to dealership due to the unsafe conditions. Dealership and Chrysler advised. Remedy from each is "we are looking for parts, do not know when or can give you a repair date. Vehicle has been at dealer since being towed in. Chrysler refuses to give any assistance. Initial cost of repair quoted at $1100+. owner refused to pay this amount since it is a known problem with Chrysler products. Dealership will lower costs to $250. Still unacceptable due to Chrysler refusal to admit a problem that they are aware of and have had a previous recall for only after threat of lawsuit. But they have limited it to only specific models and years. Problem goes back to 2007. Vehicle in with this problem is a hazard and dangerous to drive at any speeds. No offer of vehicle assistance while waiting to see when vehicle can be put back into use.

- Naperville, IL, USA

May 122015

Wrangler

The airbag light came on and the left steering wheel controls quit working, later all steering wheel controls quit working. I researched and found a previous recall for the clock spring which was up until models manufactured in November 2011. Called the dealership and was told there was no recall on my vehicle. Mine is a right hand drive manufactured in March 2012. It is a safety issue and should be recalled. It happened out of warranty.

- Scottsburg, IN, USA

Nov 042014

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle wobbled and vibrated. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The mechanic replaced the dry shaft, the tires were balanced, and a larger U joint on the dry shaft was replaced. The failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 17,000.

- 714-337-5482, CA, USA

May 122014

Wrangler

On the 2012 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes on every other minute with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags.this has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2012 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying. Chrysler however has issued a recall on this part for the (RHD) vehicles with this same issue.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 042012

Wrangler

2012 Jeep Wrangler was a "postal vehicle", in that the steering wheel was on the right-hand side of the vehicle. Driver error occurred, in that driver was on right shoulder of two lane highway, but pulled out into traffic to perform "a 180" degree turn in order to reverse direction. Driver did not properly yield the right-of-way. When entering highway, vehicle was struck by oncoming, speeding car. Crash resulted. Impact was so severe that female passenger in back seat who was wearing her seat belt was ejected (and killed). Seat belt was torn due to force. Roof cover was insufficient to stop ejection. Male passenger in back seat, also belted, was also killed. Injuries to two passengers in front seat. Possible defects include the design defects inherent in right-sided steering wheel, and also the seat belt shearing, plus roof cover failure during crash.

- Colebrook, NH, USA

May 012015

Wrangler

I had already experienced the death wobble in my Jeep prior to today's date, I had everything under the front end tightened and the front track bar replaced, cost, approximately 700 dollars. The track bar was replaced April 30 2015, today May 1 2015 I got on the highway ramp as soon. As I hit 65 and a bump the Jeep began to go into a violent shaking. In order to maintain control I had to grip the steering wheel very tight, white knuckle, and pull off to the side of the highway during morning rush hour. After coming to a complete stop the wobble stopped. I bright to Jeep and the said probably the steering. The called me later and said it was the upper lower ball joints, tie rods, alignment, and steering. 2200 bucks. For a car that's only a few years old no reason something like the ball joints should be that worn or that I should experience a death wobble in the first place. I don't off road, my car is not lifted. Jeep is not willing to pay any of the repair even thought the car is like brand new.

- Glendale Heights, IL, USA

Apr 042012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

This Jeep has been difficult to drive since first month purchased. Been in shop numerous times, not a few, numerous times for this issue. Recently it become totally uncontrollable and could not handle it at all. "death wobble" dealer in which I purchased refuses to back up the issue & left me on my own to fix. When you google "death wobble" which is the term I was given by dealership that I had never heard of, you will find what my Jeep had been doing all along.

- Danielsville, GA, USA

Feb 122015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 13V234000 (power train, steering) and 14V631000 (electrical system, visibility); however, the parts to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Colona, IL, USA

Aug 052014

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V234000 (power train, steering); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The vehicle had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not available.

- Wendell, ID, USA

Dec 022013

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 13V234000 (power train, steering). However, the part needed to remedy the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experience a failure.

- Leesburg, VA, USA