ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: There are just too many engine stalls or shuts down while driving reports to feel good about the Sorento. Especially when those things happen, on average, at just over 32,000 miles. Hopefully things will change.

8.0

1. replace entire passenger seat bottom, air bag sensor (2 reports)
2013 Kia Sorento seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Kia Sorento:

2013 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

Jun 012016

Sorento LX 4 cyl

After having the engine replaced under warranty at 66,000 miles and waiting a month for the repairs, several months later the airbag light came on. I took the car to the Dealership and they said the computer printout stated the drivers side airbag is not functioning.

I asked what's causing the problem and they said they'd have to take the door jam apart to find out and it would cost sixty dollars. I declined. The reason I've waited to report it is that I just now found out why the air bag went bad - it most likely is the soy based wire covering! The wires got chewed.

I told my mechanic that I could do without a side airbag but he said when one stops working, they all cease to function. Hmmmm the Dealership never told me that. Oh Boy, it's 'bout time to get a different car!

- mad mad max, Reading, PA, US

Jul 262017

Sorento LX 3.5L V6

The air bag occupancy sensor light has come on in the car. The KIA dealership says sorry it will cost almost $2000 to repair or the airbag in the passenger seat will not function. What I heard was "We did such a poor job designing the sensor in the seat that it will cost almost 6 percent of the cost of the vehicle to repair." It cost me less to replace the failed main seal last year and that was a potentially catastrophic failure. To me this is just bad. This cost is almost half the trade in value for the car. VERY BAD DESIGN.

- Benjamin G., Rising Sun, US

Jan 182017

Sorento LX 3.2L

Like many, the airbag light is constantly illuminated. Dealer indicated error codes B1764 and B1767 which appear to be the passenger seat sensor for occupancy. Odd thing is that the light above the console that says if airbag is on or off indicates off when no passenger is seated there, but on when someone is seated there. I would think if the seat sensor wasn't working, it would not be able to determine that. I have no confidence in the passenger seat airbag system - some online sources say it will deploy, and other sources say it won't. I'm also troubled that earlier models of the Sorento appear to have a similar problem covered by recall. Dealer quoted $1,800 to repair - which seems obnoxious for a single sensor. Car has had no accidents.

I recently changed the battery, but the airbag light didn't come on right away - about 2 weeks after. I'm considering using a used part from a boneyard - but that makes me nervous as well. I wonder how many of these issues go unreported. (2013 Kia Sorento - 72k miles)

- Raymond W., Racine, WI, USA