CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2nd generation Sorento (2011-2014) has just too many engine problems at early mileage, year after year.

2014 Kia Sorento electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Kia Sorento:

2014 Kia Sorento Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Feb 182019

Sorento

This vehicle has a parasitic drain issue that Kia is aware of on this model. The issue was addressed for all LX, ex, limited, and sx of this vehicle except for the sxl. I have the sxl version and was told by Kia it did not meet the VIN requirements even though it meets the born on date and has the same issues as the others. I have had my vehicle tested by a Kia master tech and it does have a parasitic drain (battery dead after vehicle sits for 48 hours) from the same drivers door switch addressed in tsb ele-069. I believe that Kia has overlooked the sxl models in their recalls as my vehicle is a 2014 and has only had the sa-163A update performed (also the only one listed for my VIN) and my vehicle has many of the same issues as the others have. Kia addressed the issue at hand on all the others, LX, limited, ex, and sx, with NHTSA id 10109757 and Kia tsb ele-069, ele-057, and sa-163. I would like to have the sxl vehicles looked into as I believe they are not getting the required tsb's addressed properly.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jan 032019

Sorento

Ever since we took our Kia for the recall service and they "fixed it" turns out the made it worse and now the engine makes a loud rattling sound, the breaks which are new have horrible performance and the electrical issues we are having with the odometer and the transmission sensors due to the recall as well but the local Kia dealership that "fixed it" will not take a look at what they brok without us having to pay them for it we have had no accidents and it gets maintenance done on time.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Oct 112018

Sorento

Simple, just like everyone else here that complained about loss of power. But I had a diagnosis both by autozone and the Kia dealer. The diagnosis is: Error code P0717 turbine input shaft speed sensor and wiring harness faulty due to corrosion from moisture getting in from not having adequate sealing or poor quality of rubber seal. Pulling out of stores or my driveway became very damages as you could imagine and I feel the manufacturer should address any and all loss of power issue cause it can result in serious injury or death! I hope you agree and take action to help us all out please.

- Kerhonkson, NY, USA

Oct 012017

Sorento

I had this car for one year and I have replay the lights 7 seven times and no one can tell me why. When IżM driving at night I have to use my high beams in order to see someone needs to do something asap. I fear for my life and my kids everyday when we get in this unsafe car. The lights on but the road looks dark at night all the time it's been going on for a year now. Please help me my cell 561-254-8660 and my email address isnurseathompson@yahoo.com thank U

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Aug 292018

Sorento

I have a 2014 LX with nothing special other than heated front seats. Regular ignition, 6cyl with almost 148K miles. Issue 1- at approx 100K my dash started lighting up with ABS, E-brake, trac, and tps lights. Ebrake and tps were intermittent and only came on after it rained it seemed. After plugging it up and getting no codes I took it to the dealer June 2017 and they informed me it was no big deal but it was part of a recall for a sensor. However, Kia had not provided them with the necessary tools to fix it. It's now August 2018 and I am still waiting. Issue 2- at approx 130K miles my steering controls for bluetooth and radio stopped working. The radio itself works, but when attempting to seek or adjust volume with steering controls the voice command pops up. Issue 3- at approx 145K cruise control stopped working. I can turn it on and set speed, but in less than a mile it disengages. I have found if I turn off the eco it works as it should. Issue 4 I found today. After getting a message from a random stranger through my advertised business on the back window I was informed that I have no brake lights except for the one on top (third). I just replaced them in July after a random stranger told me that they were out. When I got the message (after making my 60 mile commute to work) I grabbed a coworker to come out and troubleshoot with me. We checked fuses and they are fine. Third light works, tail lights work, turn signals and backup lights work. We took apart the tail light assembly and pulled the bulbs to check them and the bulbs are still intact (filament still completely intact) but the bulbs are charred black and the harness socket appears to have gotten extremely hot. Also the bottom of the bulb is glossy like it melted.

- Daphne, AL, USA

Jun 132018

Sorento

Controls on steering wheel for radio, and speed control and hands free phone features stopped working correctly you press the phone button and volume goes up or down hit mute and voice command goes on dials numbers at random startling you gives strange burning smell from steering wheel. The power seat button on drivers side work on and off has been bought to dealer for problems and the say the fixes wires for seat controls twice but still have problems. When turning wheel left or right has weird sound like tires are rubbing or skidding on loose rocks thought it was tires bought new ones but still happening dealer donżT know what it is.

- Nanuet, NY, USA

Sep 122018

Sorento

Steering wheel electronic controls(speed control, radio, ). airbag light on with no collision having occurred, replaced headlights twice in last year, brake lights replaced once

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 212018

Sorento

Driving down the highway my car died out of nowhere. It would not start again afterwards. All power shuts off and I am able to coast to a stop. This has happened a few times but becoming more frequent but still random.

- Denver, CO, USA

Sep 192018

Sorento

Back up camera stopped working and just shows a black screen sensors still work but that is all. Also when I turn the car hard right or left it sounds as though the tires are hitting the wheel well with a loud crunchy thud

- Porter, ME, USA

Aug 082018

Sorento

Turn the vehicle off so I could pull in my driveway as I unlocked my gate car would not start back it was stuck in the middle of the road I had purchased a new battery and I have also bought a new starter

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jul 292018

Sorento

I was driving my 2014 Kia Sorento down a city street when my car completely shut off. Luckily I was only going about 30 mph. It lost all power and wont restart. It showed and currently shows a red steering wheel light (I've never seen before) and a dim battery display( which battery isn't even 4 months old and all features worked long as car was in aux mode) and also check engine light is on. It was putting off a bad odor afterwards, didn't smell of oil or any other fluids Sorento doesn't have any blown fuses nor did it have any service type lights on at time it shut off. It seemed to be driving fine until it shut off. No loud noise or shaking or anything have to take to dealer tomorrow had it checked for codes and isn't showing any having it towed to the dealership is my only choice

- Columbus, GA, USA

Jun 252018

Sorento

SC147. Why wasn't all the 2014 Kia Sorentos included in this recall. My vehicle stalled out on me today doing the same thing that this recall was for. Reported it to Kia and they won't do anything. My vehicle was going 55 when it lost acceleration and no power steering and the lights flashing on the dashboard with all of the warning lights on. Coasted into a parking lot, thank god no other traffic was around.

- Urbanna, VA, USA

Jun 042018

Sorento

The headlights and tail lights continuously blow the bulbs and the brake light housing looks to be brown like it overheated on the drivers side. Also the steering wheel controls have a mind of there own, you push say the volume down key and the voice recognition comes on none of the buttons on the driver side seem to do what they are supposed to do on the steering wheel

- Williamson, GA, USA

Apr 262018

Sorento

While driving down an interstate highway at approximately 5:00pm on 4/26/18 the car died. First the steering locked up; all dashboard lights came on, stereo system went out and soon could not gas/brake appropriately. Was able to get to side of road and have car towed to dealer.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Apr 212018

Sorento

I was driving down the interstate as I heard a loud pop so pulled over on the side of the road thinking it was my tires, as I looked at all the tires I didn't see anything so I got back in. Soon as I got back in the vehicle I smelled something so I turned the car off and got out. The minute I got out of the car it engulfed in flames.. the fire report showed it was due to an electrical issue, and the entire car burnt

- Santa Rosa Beach, FL, USA

Dec 302017

Sorento

Air bag light on, headlights will turn off when in auto mode when I use left turn signal steering wheel controls not working or work improperly ie volume control will change radio station or advance track on media back up camera will black out while still in reverse

- Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 062018

Sorento

My front headlights keep going out. I've owned this vehicle for 3 years. It was purchased new. This is the 3rd time I've had this problem with this vehicle. I always drive with my headlights on, regardless if it's daytime or night. Sometimes the lights will function properly and other times the headlight(s) won't. I'd on occasion pop open the hood and using a closed fist, hit the top of the assembly and the light would go on.......now it will not go on no matter what I do. Like I mentioned earlier, this is the 3rd time this has happened. The first 2 times I had the dealership that I purchased the vehicle at repair the problem at my cost. Now I read blog pages that this is a common problem for several Kia models but no safety recall has ever been issued. How can having no working headlights not be a safety issue. ??

- Danvers, MA, USA

Jan 012016

Sorento

Passenger door locks do not unlock. They do not unlock with key fob, they also do not unlock using the unlock button on the drivers door. Even pulling the handle to open from the inside does not work, they have to each be individually manually unlocked, which mean I have to crawle in through the drivers door across to unlock front passenger door and then into the back to unlock those doors to let my 3 kids in. If we were in an accident it would take an extraordinary amount of time to safely free them. This is all the time when car is in park, when it's off and when it's running. This problem was progressive, at first just occasionally would not work, over time it has happened more and more frequently and now its always like this, for at least 6 months locks have not worked at all. I have taken it into Kia and was told they could not do anything without charging me $150-$300 just to see if they locks really aren't working, I will not pay to prove this to them, and they refuse to even watch me do it unless I pay them. Burglar alarm also stopped working when this first started.

- Manchester, NH, USA

Dec 232017

Sorento

There appears to be an electrical issue that Kia won't own up to. The battery is constantly dying after being checked and is good. Lights constantly go out I have replaced break lights headlights and taillights several times in last year. The airbag passenger side airbag does not go off. The steering panel does not control all functions. I am concerned this will lead to further difficulties with this vehicle.

- Independence, MO, USA

Nov 172017

Sorento

The doors will not unlock when I press the key fob, I've tried both key fobs and they have new batteries. Only the drivers door is unlocking all times.

- Burlington, KS, USA