CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2nd generation Sorento (2011-2014) has just too many engine problems at early mileage, year after year.

9.0

2014 Kia Sorento electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Kia Sorento:

2014 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

Feb 202017

Sorento LX

The driver's door unlocks with the key fob and that's the only one. All other doors must be unlocked by hand, meaning even the unlock switch on the drivers and passengers doors don't work. You can hear something actuating, but the doors won't unlock.

Once I have driven for 10-20 minutes the problem goes away. I was able to go by service center one day while the issue was still present, but the Southern KIA (VB, VA) service dept wouldn’t take a minute out of their time to verify the problem. Now that they have time to see my vehicle, they said they could not find any problems and their computer says everything is running fine. Their recommendation was to change the battery in the key fob; which I have already tried.

- Steven C., Virginia Beach, US

Oct 012015

Sorento LX

This is a known problem with many Kia models. The dealer told my wife it was just the key fob battery was weak. What a crock! Of course she never told me about the problem or the dealers BS excuse until after the 36K mile warranty was expired. The driver's door unlocks with the Key fob and that's the only one. All other doors must be unlocked by hand, meaning even the unlock switch on the drivers and passengers doors don't work. You can hear something actuating, but the doors won't unlock. While they won't unlock, they will lock via the fob or the switch. Kia is happy to sell you a car but they won't support you after the sale. Their dealers all seem prety damn shady.

- Erin B., Toledo, OH, USA

Dec 142015

Sorento LX 2.4L V4

Just purchased the vehicle in Dec. 2015 and had 3 days and the locks stopped working...neither the door lock or key fob will lock the doors...I have to manually lock the doors, then the security will set from key fob...Took to dealer where I was informed there is no recall and I would have to pay the diagnostic fee to even find out if it's fixable...caught in catch 22 cause having to manually lock doors is a pain in but so here I sit waiting to find out how much this may cost.....This will determine whether we ever purchase another KIA in the future or recommend anyone to buy a KIA.....

Update from Jan 15, 2016: Extremely disappointed in KIA come to findout its the body control module...Was told that if I fixed it then it would cost over $800.00... This vehicle is only a year and half old and they will not replace because I am not the original owner...UMMMMM what does that have to do with it this is part of the computer system not a mechanical piece that could be abused.....I will probably never own or recommend a KIA after this ordeal...

- Joseph A., Axis, AL, USA

Dec 102015

Sorento LX 3.2L

On the 10th of Dec. I went to the store and couldn't lock my car with the key fob. I opened the driver's door and pushed the door lock but it didn't work. I had to walk around the car and manually lock each door! Glad it wasn't raining! When I came out of the store my key fob opened the doors but the "lock" still didn't work.

It's very scary to be driving at night knowing your doors are unlocked - unless you walk around the car and lock each one!

Drove to the KIA dealer, where I bought the car and, as if a miracle, the door locks worked there!

They worked for almost a week then went out again! This is my 5th KIA, all bought new. Since 2001 I've had 3 RIOS's (2001 - 2004 & 2007, 1 SPORTAGE-2007 and this 2014 SORENTO and I have never had a problem with any of them - - - until now!

After the Christmas holidays are over I'll take it back to KIA and hoe they can find the problem, which my son thinks it's simply a small electrical module. But KIA can't find it if it's working when I get there! FRUSTRATING!

Update from Jan 5, 2016: I have found that the auto locks work when the car is driven far enough for the temp. to come up to normal range, which still doesn't help because, by the time I've driven to the KIA dealer, the car has warmed up and the locks work so they look at me like I'm crazy! They say the computer can't tell them what's wrong when there's nothing wrong! THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG!

- dwimer, Hemet, CA, US