9.0

1. rebuild transmission (3 reports)
2016 Nissan Rogue transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Nissan Rogue:

2016 Nissan Rogue Owner Comments

Feb 102021

Rogue S

• CVT transmission

Just recently had all 4 brakes and rotors fixed in my 2016 Nissan Rogue. Always got my oil changed when due. I was driving home from work getting onto the off ramp and heard a terrible squealing noise February 10th 2021. No check engine light and no warning - as I rounded the corner my car just stopped working. The engine worked but any pressure I put on the gas the car would not move nor reverse. I had to put it in neutral and coast to get off the ramp to a safer location which I barely made it to avoid a terrible accident. I had the car towed to a local shop.

My Nissan is a 2016 with approximately 116k miles on it only. Engine is in almost new condition per the three different shops I brought it to none of which can understand why my transmission would go with the lower miles and no warning lights. I noticed no recalls for my make and model and year however the transmission shop that looked at my vehicle to make me feel slightly less alone said she has 8 Nissan CVT transmissions in the shop for the same exact issue and I noticed online pending lawsuits. I have car payments and insurance to pay - I cannot pay this without going to work and I cannot get to work without a car and I cannot make money to fix my car without working.

Covid didn't help financially either.

I hope this doesn't happen to someone else i could have been in a serious accident - thank goodness I was not. Tried to contact Nissan and because my car is no longer under warranty they refused to talk to me. All Nissan said was there is nothing they can do and good luck. Please help me.

Thanks!

- Michelle H., Mashpee, US

May 232021

Rogue SV V6

• CVT transmission

Well, first I’m speaking with my in-laws - this is their car. I handle most of their stuff cause they're old. That’s why I don’t understand - they never abuse the vehicle so why did it go? Well, it’s a 2016 suv with 25500 miles on it and the transmission stopped working all in one day. No warning, nothing, just stopped. That is very unacceptable - Nissan should be ashamed.

I took it to the dealer for them to tell me my warranty expired 2 months ago. I was pissed - when I am needing a new transmission I ask them why it stopped working. They said they have a lot of problems with the cvt transmission so they knew about it. So I call Nissan consumer affairs, who gave me a case number (#43930433) and they sort of said, sir, you are on your own, your warranty expired 2 months ago, there is no warranty extension on your vehicles. Meaning they did on some, so they did have problems.

I ask the big guy in the main office why did the transmission stop working. His exact words was, well you know it’s a human made products so it'll break. No, the truth is you humans made a sh*tty product. I will never ever get a Nissan again - they suck from back then and still do now. And then it's been 2 days calling Nissan of Queens waiting for a feed back or a call back - and nothing. When I call, they say yes sir, he will have to call you, he is busy, he not at his desk, blah blah blah. Nissan needs to stop setting up people. The cost he said would be like $4500 - I was like wtf?

- mukeshb86, South Ozone Park, US

Dec 112019

Rogue S 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I have this car since it was new but one day just after 90000km the transmission started acting up. The car was driving in higher rpm and started shaking like crazy. Took to dealership they told the transmission was bad and needed to be replaced. My car was still under power train warranty so it’s was completely free. It took them like 4 days to replace the transmission.

- Sri V., Laval, QC, Canada

Apr 252019

Rogue SL 2.4L

• CVT transmission

Wife drove vehicle to doctors appointment, upon return had a hard jolt and seen rpms raise. When I came home she told me about it. I drove the vehicle to store (7 miles one way). One hard jolt when going up a hill at 50 mph and seen rpms go from 2100 to 3500. Continued on with no problem. When returning home on same hill, hard jolt, rpm raised again. Kept accelerator in same position, rpms came down. It started pulling hill, once again hard jolt rpms raised and check engine light came on. Continued to home.

Upon arrival at home, put a generic code reader on vehicle. PO841. Looked up code. Many possible issues for code referenced to take to dealer. Towed vehicle to dealer, dropped off, by 11:00 a,m, as requested by dealership. Diagnosed as transmission failure, need rebuild. Covered under 60,000 mile warranty.

One week and 1 day later pick vehicle up. Asked about warranty on rebuilt trans. Told 12 months 12,000 miles whichever comes first. Also told manufacturer warranty was longer by 200 miles (60,000). At this point have very little confidence in a vehicle which fails under 100,000 miles, whether engine, trans. or suspension especially with the cost of purchase. May have to look back into gear/fluid transmission as well as something that has higher vehicle manufacturer warranty which tells me they have better confidence in their product.

When leaving dealership noticed a sign recommending trans. service at 30,000 miles-Manufacturer service manual recommends trans. service at 60,000. Could it be dealerships are aware of failure prior to 60,000 therefore recommend at 30,000? Having a hard time grasping concept of this failure since I am very on top of the maint. on my vehicles since I am a mechanic. Leaves me with a bad taste for newer vehicles.

- bigredlj, Macon, US