2018 Subaru Outback fuel system NHTSA complaints: Fuel/Propulsion System

NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems

2018 Subaru Outback (Page 1 of 2)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Pretty Good

7.1

2018 Subaru Outback fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Subaru Outback:

2018 Subaru Outback Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 222018

Outback

Windshield cracked for no reason known - I my vehicle was parked in the garage upon getting into my vehicle to folllowing morning I noticed a crack that grow significantly within a day had to have it replaced a few months after purchasing fuel capacity does not register correctly - I did have the recall done but it still does not work properly

- Gardnerville, NV, USA

Jun 012019

Outback

While in my driveway upon starting my 2018 Outback I smelled strong odor of gasoline. Popped the hood and saw the fuel supply line spraying the entire engine compartment with gas mist/droplets in a full blown shower. I turned the car off, visually inspected the fuel supply line and saw that it had ruptured near the engine plenum intake, approximate size 1/8"×1/4" (photo attached). Car has less than 2900 miles on it. Potentially vibration from bracket mount/inappropriate materials used for fuel supply line. Fuel supply line appears to be polyethylene plastic inside non-reinforced rubber outer shell. Hose uses friction clamps to attach to firewall and engine plenum.

- Port Republic, MD, USA

May 112019

Outback

In Dec 2018 the fuel line of my 2018 Subaru Outback had to be replaced because it had been chewed through by a rodent and was leaking in the car. Total damage was over $2000. In May 2019 another $3500 damage was discovered from a rodent chewing on electrical harnesses in the dash. The dealer told me this is because Subaru is now using soy-based insulation for fuel lines, wiring, and electrical harnesses. Rodents are attracted to the soy because they think it is food. In both cases my damage was discovered while trying to start the car while it is parked. But what if I was driving down the road and a chewed wire came loose that shorted something out and impacted my ability to control the car" or what if the fuel line broke while driving down the highway and caused the car to suddenly stall" manufacturers should not be allowed to use materials (e.g. soy) that actually attract rodents. If anything, they should be using materials that deter rodents. Fuel lines and electrical harnesses are critical to the safe operation of a car and these systems are needlessly being put at risk by using soy to produce them. This is especially troubling for Subaru because part of their image encourages their owners to explore "the great outdoors." What happens why I go camping and park my car in the woods and chipmunks chew through my components and strand me in the middle of nowhere? or, worse, a critical system on the car fails as I'm driving home and I lose control of the vehicle and crash. The use of soy-based components should not be allowed. Or, if it is, oems should cover rodent damage to these systems under warranty. At the very least, oems should be required to disclose the use of soy in the car before a vehicle is purchased. I had no idea soy-based products were used in this car. Had I known, I would not have bought it. Fyi... Subaru denies using soy products.

- Wixom, MI, USA

Apr 152019

Outback

When I come to a stop and waiting to make a left turn, the vehicle will stall when I start to turn. Engine is still running, but the car essentially stops in mid turn. This leaves me exposed to a broadside collision. Dealer does not know what is causing it and it does not happen every time. In the last 1000 miles it has occurred 4 times. After the hesitation, about 3 -5 seconds, it starts to move. It has also occurred when moving from one lane to another after coming to a near stop due to a closed lane in the road.

- Glen Mills, PA, USA

Oct 042018

Outback

Fuel software programming defect - fuel warning light does not illuminate nor read properly below 50 miles. I had 30 miles left in the tank, parked the car and after work (approx. 8 hours) I went to start the car and it would not start. Had to utilize roadside assistance - thank goodness this didn¿T happen while the vehicle was in motion or on the highway. This is unacceptable. Brand new car runs worse than my 1988 Honda crx.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Mar 142019

Outback

Fuel delivery problem. Sometimes when starting up from a stop sign and all of a sudden there is no power and you have to hit the accelerator a couple of times to get the car to respond. Sometimes this occurs at low speed going left and all of a sudden there is no power and you have to hit the accelerator a couple of times to get it to respond. The engine never stalls out. On the expressway it dropped out of cruse twice. I pulled up to a stop sign to cross into traffic and it had power at first and then no power. I was then in a panic mode pressing on the accelerator and finally it responded. This is why I think it is serious.

- Milford, OH, USA

Feb 122019

Outback

Gas indicator says I have more gas then I do. When empty it still registers gas. There is a recall but no fix is present.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Feb 012019

Outback

Ran out of fuel even though the gauge had originally said 30 miles to empty. Then gauge went from 30 to ---- and then stalled all within a few miles while on the highway during rush hour.

- Snoqualmie, WA, USA

Feb 012019

Outback

I was driving through an intersection when the engine stalled with 1/8th of a tank of gas remaining. Gas light came on only a few miles prior. Luckily I was able to coast into a gas station. Car started after turning off and back on. Only took 16.9 gallons to top off. This is the second time this has happened. The previous time the miles to empty was showing 50 when it stalled. I was told by the dealership that there is no fix for the current recall.

- Enumclaw, WA, USA

May 032018

Outback

I was driving and the fuel indicator indicated 70 miles to go last time I saw it. I only had to drive 10 miles home and the car suddenly stopped, thankfully on a local road. Some warning lights started appearing and I couldnt make what the problem was. I tried to restart a few times until I decided it had to be fuel. We pushed car to side of road and went to gas station to get gas. Came back with gas, refilled and car started and went home. I thought it was my fault, althought I couldnt explain why the last time a saw the fuel gauge said 70 miles and I was just going home, not even 10 miles to get there.

- Kew Gardens, NY, USA

Jul 132018

Outback

Open recall for fuel gauge not being accurate. I alreay ran out of gas once and when I took the car to dealer they said there was no remedy to make sure I always have a 1/4 of a tank of gas to avoid this in the future! this happened to me on July 13, and I have bee waiting since for solution

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Dec 142018

Outback

Infotainment system is faulty. I have no back up camera, bluetooth, radio, can not program clock. Subaru dealer says there is no fix other than to replace head unit. I have been waiting since Dec 14th for this replacement unit. While at dealer I asked for a loaner and was denied. Subaru said the car was safe to drive which is not true since their biggest safety feature isnt accessible

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Jan 072019

Outback

Was driving on highway while fuel range indicated on dash just hit 30 miles to empty and car ran out of gas. Was never informed by Subaru of any recall for this vehicle.

- Danville, CA, USA

Oct 312018

Outback 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2018 Subaru Outback. While driving approximately 55 mph at night, the fuel range dropped and the vehicle lost power and shut off. The contact pulled the vehicle over to the side of the road. The manufacturer's roadside assistance was called, but no one answered. The contact called the police for assistance due to the darkness. The contact called triple a and was provided some fuel to drive home. Two days later, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 18V773000 (electrical system, fuel system, gasoline). The vehicle was taken to groove Subaru (720-279-9409, located at 5300 S broadway, englewood, co 80113) where it was confirmed that the parts were not available. The manufacturer was called, but no one answered the phone. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 12,500...

- Littleton, CO, USA

Dec 132018

Outback

I drove to a nearby town, indicator said 40 miles to go before empty. Parked. Restarted the car after half an hour. Most of center display functions were dead. It did show back-up view, but no radio, no map. Drove toward home and gas station. After twenty miles, on cruise control at 70mph on highway, engine suddenly started racing as though it had down shifted, I braked and headed for the shoulder. No turn signals, no indicators, no emergency flashers - it seemed that the computer crashed when I ran out of gas. After adding gas and restarting, all was normal except the the radio memory had been wiped.

- Midland, MI, USA

Nov 232018

Outback

Dashboard told me I had 20 miles worth of fuel left when suddenly the indicator changed to a dash and the car ran out of gas. Occurred while driving 50 mph on a busy expressway, thankfully in the slow lane.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 192018

Outback

Car stalled and ran out of gas when the system said I had 20 miles left. I was 2 miles from home/gas station. This happened at a street light on a busy street. I had to get out and push the car out of the way in 5 lanes of traffic.

- Bothell, WA, USA

Feb 142018

Outback

Ran out of gas when gauge showed 40 miles left - car locked up on a 70mph freeway - reported to Subaru almost a year ago and recently saw where a recall had been initiated but called Subaru customer service and they have no idea when this will be resolved even though they have know about it for a year - why is this not a safety issue that the NHTSA is forcing them to fix

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Nov 272018

Outback

The contact owns a 2018 Subaru Outback. While driving 35 mph, the fuel gauge indicated 40 miles remaining, but the vehicle ran out of fuel. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 8,000.

- Reno, NV, USA

Oct 232018

Outback

Our system showed 40 miles to empty. Luckily we were in a turn lane coming up to a traffic light and the car shut off/stopped running. Traffic had to go around us to turn at the light. Someone stopped and gave us 5 gallons of gas. We were able to restart the car and go to a service station and fill up.

- College Park, GA, USA