- September 9: Gulf States Toyota Recalls Highlanders and Highlander Hybrids recalls | 10 days ago
- August 1: Toyota Dealer Roger Hogan Sues Toyota Over Recall Program news | 49 days ago
- July 25: Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Lawsuit Says Systems Are Defective news | 56 days ago
- July 22: Toyota Recalls Avalon Hybrid and Camry Hybrid recalls | 59 days ago
- July 20: Southeast Toyota Distributors Recalls Tacoma and 4Runner recalls | 61 days ago
2004 Toyota Camry
CarComplaints.com Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2004 Camry. It is almost certainly misleading.
The problem with NHTSA data for the 2004 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.
So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.
CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2004 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.
Worst 2004 Camry engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- check engine light on4
- excessive oil consumption3
- sudden unintended acceleration3
- cold engine start problem2
- loosing oil2
- oil loss due to bad head gasket and bolts2
- blown head gasket1
- car surges during acceleration1
- engine blew up1
- throttle actuator control system faulty1
- ticking sound caused by injector1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control205
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal27
- NHTSA: Engine19
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling18
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine8
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control2
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: ...1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Linkages1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Toyota Camry Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Camry compares to other years?
Check out our Toyota Camry overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Camry.