ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2005 Camry. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2005 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2005 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

8.0

$5,000

2005 Toyota Camry brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Camry:

2005 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Aug 112014

Camry LE V6

I had this 2005 Camry as new. It was a year ago. I was driving slowly on the road. It was raining a little bit. I was not far from the car in front of me. I hit the break. But, the break does not function at all. I can see it slowly crash into the bumper of front car. My Camry's front hook and water tank were badly damaged. It cost me $7000 to fix it up.

Today, i.e Aug 11,2014, my son was driving the car to school. It was raining a little bit. He had exactly same problem. He step on the break. but it did not function at all. Very luckily, he was driving very slow. Regardless of how hard he hit the break, it did nothing. It slowly crashed into the front car. Again, the Camry's front hook and front bumper were totaled damaged.

I am very sure that Totoya had break problem.. I would never buy a Toyota car which is so dangerous while you drive this card.

- Shawn L., Austin, TX, USA

Jun 252014

Camry LE V6

click to see larger images

the brakes did not stop the vehicle

Brakes did not stop the car, brakes did not leave skid mark, later Dealer discovered brake sensor malfunctioned. I have crashed into rear bumper of car ahead of me.

- aamara, Dearborn, MI, USA

Jan 062011

Camry LE

I had this brake problem 3 times before and got it checked from my mechanic but he said brakes seems good but suggested to call Toyota dealers to check if it was a recall problem, but when i checked with the Toyota they said my vin. doesn't come under recall problem vehicle. 2 times before this occurred during snow time and brakes pulsated and gave grinding noise but yesterday i was driving with my 2 kids and suddenly on red light signal i tried to brake and it didn't work for a long distance, thank god i had been always alert and keep long distance from other cars in front but yesterday it was horrifying when my car didn't stop and stopped just a few centimeters from the car in front! Now i don't know what to do, everytime i took it to mechanic he checked, drived and found everything ok ! if some one has some suggestions, i will be pleased.

- samy2011, Montreal, Quebec, canada

Dec 102009

Camry LE 3.2L

Camry has been acting weird last two years. I had no problem first two years since I bought it. I have been experiencing car is not stopping when you hit the brake; it skips ahead especially in humid or wet weather. I got lucky so many times but then I got into an accident on 12/10/2009 and it cost me $4000. Thank God I was safe!!

I have heard same issue through my co-workers and friends who own the same car.

- Yamika P., Bartlett, IL, Cook Islands

Feb 202010

Camry LE 4 cyl

Brought it to one dealer, could not duplicate customer concerns. Cost me 200 dollars to tow. Another dealer replaced the master cylinder. The so called soft pedal really sucks!!!

- snowshadow, Two Harbors, MN, USA

Mar 262009

Camry LE 4 cyl

As I was coming to a traffic light in my 2005 Toyota Camry, the car accelerated when I stepped on the brake. Luckily I was well behind the car in front of me so I was able to turn the engine off.

- Richard F., Armonk, NY, USA

Nov 122006

Camry LE V4

If I had been driving any of my other vehicles besides the 2005 Toyota Camry that I have owned for 4 months, I would not have crashed into the bumper of the stopped truck. I saw the truck in time to apply the brakes while moving at 15 miles per hour, to stop before hitting the rear end of the truck when it was a good 20 feet away. Not only did my Toyota not stop when I smashed on the brakes, it left absolutely no skid marks, and managed to completely rip the grille and headlights off the front bumper, and curl the hood back over a foot. The force did not deploy the airbag, and only caused minor damage to the bumper of the truck.

The brakes absolutely were at fault, and I regret having to find out in such an expensive way that the brakes are not dependable at all, especially for a car with only 28,000 miles on the odometer. Toyota should pay for the damages if the same problem exists for ANY other drivers.

- Hank L., Kirbyville, MO, USA