CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

8.1

$540

1. replace dashboard (42 reports)
  3. just received a toyota warranty enhancement notification (4 reports)
  4. toyota sent out letter addressing problem but not a recall (4 reports)
  5. no (3 reports)
2007 Toyota Camry accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Sep 012018

Camry V6

My car had no problems with the dashboard until the end of last summer (2018) when I noticed after my fingernail accidentally sliced a gap in the dash. I thought, what in the dickens is happening here!! This summer it has gotten to where it actually looks like it is melting, anything sticks to it and its like a soft goo. But the worst is the fact I can not see to drive with the glare it puts off when the sun is out. It makes it impossible to see the lines on the road and very dangerous. It seems since this is the makings of Toyota, they should replace any car that has these problems Thank you

- Jackie B., Smyrna, US

Aug 312018

Camry SE 2.4L

The dealer (Swope Toyota Ky) where I brought the car never inform me about the dash board issue. I found out about this issue when my wife and I went on vacation and I had some issues with the car, so I took it to the Toyota dealership in North Carolina. They ask why I haven't had my dashboard replaced, I told the representative I never received a recall letter and my dealership never informed that I could have it replaced even tho they saw the melting. The dealership in North Carolina said they would have replace it but the warranty time has expired. I went back to my dealership to price and replace the dashboard and these people want to charge me almost $1700.00 to replace something they should have done early. They are all full of bullshit and I will inform others about the sorry communication that Toyota offers to their customers. I brought this car brand new and love it and would have brought from Toyota again, but I don't trust them anymore. I hope this issue doesn't happen to anyone else.

- Larry J., Warner Robins, US

Mar 012018

Camry LE L4

Dashboard is melting and it's too frustrating, especially when you drive in sunny day.

- Akshar P., Towson, MD, US

Jun 052017

Camry LE 4 cyl

This happened 30 days after the extended warranty ended and Toyota would do nothing to address the melting dashboard situation.

- Howard S., Boynton Beach, US

Jun 202016

Camry XLE 3.5L V6

My local Toyota dealer Carl Hogan Toyota Columbus, MS didn't inform me until after the period to replace the dashboard expired, I had even asked for an estimate to replace the dashboad when the warranty period was in effect but they missed and overlooked the recall totally. I called Toyota to try to get them to reconsider replacing the dash which they refused.

- Daniel J., Columbus, MS, US

Aug 012014

Camry LX V6

Apparently there's a huge issue with the Toyota dashboard melting. I never received any notice from Toyota that there was an extended warranty offer. After reading about it online today, I called the Toyota customer service department and was informed there was nothing they could do to help.

- Robert S., Midlothian, US

Feb 202013

Camry XLE V8

I brought my car in to have dash replaced and was told it was ordered! 2 to 3 moths later, still haven’t heard anything. stopped by the dealer, was told dash still not in. I also had a window switch that needed to be replaced, was told we will do both together. About 4 months later called, dash still not in. I decided to check with another dealer and to my surprise was told it expired and could not been done. The new dealer was upset that I have been driving around 9 months with a switch that could have caught on fire! No one called from the 1st dealer to let me know it was expired! They had at least 3 times to tell me and didn’t.

I was advised to call 1st dealer and tell them to replace dash. I did and Gary was very rude, too bad too sad attitude! I was given Toyota corporations number. I called and was told nope, it expired!!!! But keep in mind if it was a recall SAFETY issue there would not be an expiration date. Sad part is I have a print out of the part ordered with the order number! The first dealer is declining to replace dash and stated it was never ordered! Mean while I have proof it was ordered!

This is a safety issue, the glare makes it very hard to see the road! I think this case should be reopened to make Toyota replace all the dashes no matter what! No excuses, no putting us on hold so it expires and they don’t have to replace the dashes in question!

- Darlene C., Port St Lucie, US

Jan 012014

Camry LE 2.4L

This prevents you from placing anything on the dash because Anyang you put on it will stick and also just rubbing the surface will leave a sticky residue on your hands as well as take a layer of the dash off. If I could scrape the meal Ted part off and just leave hard plastic behind I would but I know it’d look terriable. It’s not easy to source this part either as I’ve looked online for a while but only found covers to cover it over and this I may have to do.

- Stephen B., Virginia Beach, VA, US

May 302015

Camry SE 4 cyl

The dashboard has always been really spongy and soft. It is so shiny that the glare created makes it impossible to see anything when driving in the daytime. I really started noticing it more in 2015. I'd clean the dash with a cloth and chunks of it would come up and it was gooey. I never got a letter about it from Toyota so I figured I was on my own with it. Then I noticed a couple months ago they had an extended warranty period on it, which expired May 31st 2017. I still contacted Toyota by phone, and I was told sorry about your luck more or less. I've always thought Toyota was a good brand but things like this really turn me off to a car..

- Anthony S., Louisville, KY, US

Jun 012018

Camry

The dashboard is very sticky. The reflection in the window obstructs my view day and night.

- Sherri S., Gray, US

Sep 012012

Camry LE 2.4L

click to see larger images

dashboard material melting

I wasn't aware of the extended warranty for the melting dash issues, I read an article on line and called the Toyota's customer service number to find out that is already late. Extended warranty period expired on May, 2017. I explained that I was never notified by Toyota, I decided to make a complaint about this manufacturing defect resulting from poor material usage for dashboard molding.

The melted dashboard creates a reflection or glare on the windshield that impedes our ability to see the road and their surroundings. In addition to cosmetic problems, the melting dashboards may also pose a safety hazard, the chemical from melted plastic definitely very harmful. The melted dashboards must be call out by the Toyota dealers.

Thank you.

- Anaida K., Glendale, US

Apr 292016

Camry V4

Sticky dash (as Toyota dealership called it - I called it DASHBOARD FROM HELL!) was recalled and replaced by dealership. It took months to get the part in because so many cars were having the same issue. Mine was compounded by the heat in Texas. I called weekly to check on part delivery. I had to stay on top of the dealership and it paid off

- slw07, Austin, US

May 012015

Camry SE

The dash has turned into a sticky goo. It is extremely shinny which makes it dangerous to drive due to the reflection on the windshield. You can not clean it because it is so sticky and all the cleaning rags, towels or whatever stick to it and leave deep marks when you try to get the lint off. It collects bugs like crazy too. The dash area closest to you isn't as sticky and causes scuff marks bc it gets more contact.

- Jessica B., Harrodsburg, KY, US

Jun 012016

Camry LXE V6

Received a "WARRANTY ENHANCEMENT NOTIFICATION-ZE6, "Undated" from Toyota in 2017.

States "Dashboards can become cracked and/or sticky/melted over time..." the repair will be performed at NO CHARGE, as soon as parts become available" then another paragraph says Toyota is currently preparing the necessary parts to implement this Warranty Enhancement program and anticipates it will take several month to finish preparing the necessary parts. . Will will send "another owner notification once sufficient parts have been prepared....

Upon receiving my formal notice to repair the melting/sticky glue/gooey honey like mess my dashboard has morphed. Due to the high gloss sticky residue, the glare on my window is opaque white, I can't see to drive,visibility is blocked. The Dealer Northridge Toyota, just shrugged the notice off, saying there are no dashboards available yet, you'll get a second notice. The formal notice says when parts are in I'll be notified.

I have talked to the Dealer many times, called Toyota directly, They said "Unfortunately the warrant for this repair expired MAY 31, 2017!!! This safety hazard repair was a SCAM. Toyota never intended to replace the dashboards. They just stalled, and stalled, and claimed the dashboard were not available long enough with a quick expiration so they never would have to replace. My Dash is full of glued melded in dead bugs, bee's, stuck on paper, lint, fibers, dirt, disgusting sticky glue like shiny surface. The white glare makes it dangerous for me to see while driving when the sun is bright on the dash, reflects a white out on the window.

I have called Toyota 3-4 times, same excuse, the time frame has expired to replace your dash. A FRAUD, LIE, SCAM, SWINDLE. Toyota kept claiming parts were not available for years, now the offer expired. TOYOTA SUCKS, IMMORAL, UNETHICAL, AND FRAUDULENT BUSINESS PRACTICES. Defective, hazardous materials block visibility and they refuse to honor the repair by faking a expired warranty , all planned in advance with deceiving customers parts were suppose to be made, they never made more dashboards. I HATE TOYOTA. NEVER will purchase another, then there's the flopping, failed sun visors, don't get me started on that defect

- Ms Jan L., Northridge, US

Jan 012018

Camry

Toyota case #1809103728. My mother never received the notice in the mail regarding this recall and was never notified by the dealership who she took the car to several times. I spoke to several Toyota reps over the course of several weeks and the case was elevated to Natasha Ramirez, Operations Supervisor at Toyota Headquarters in Texas, who told me there was nothing Toyota could do. I brought up the fact that Toyota still has several outstanding lawsuits against them in regards to this case and that they are allowing a dangerous vehicle to be on the road. They took no responsibility and no action.

- Ginny S., Fairfax, VA, US

Jul 152016

Camry LE 2.4L

Dashboard is melting. Need to replace. Toyota declined to replace it.

- wrahman50@hotmail.com, Sugar Land, US

Sep 012014

Camry ELX 3.2L V6

The dash is sticky and tacky all over. It needs to be replaced and obviously the material used in the dash construction was not appropriate for cars.

- Robert K., Anderson, US

Aug 312017

Camry LE

I never received a recall notice from Toyota. The vehicle was garage kept. I brought it in for service and it was kept overnight outside in the Florida sun. When I picked the car up the dashboard was sticky and shining and made it difficult to drive because of the glare. On the way home I called the service manager and told him what the situation was. I had the car detailed and I thought they had sprayed it with something. I told him how difficult it was because of the glare. He told me to bring the vehicle in at my convenience and he would rectify it. When I brought the vehicle in he informed me of the recall which had ended in May. We heavily discussed the situation but I just gave in and left. I'm a disabled senior living on a small Social Security check and food stamps. I can't possibly replace the dash! So I'm stuck with a dangerous sticky and shiny dash. I can't even use sunshades in Florida because they stick to the dash! I'm sorry now that I brought a friend to buy a 2017 Camry. I hope he doesn't have the problems I'm having.

- Len S., Melbourne, FL, US

Jul 012016

Camry LE

I have been dealing with this sticky, cracking dashboard for 2 years now and it progressively gets worse each summer. It started out a little tacky when it had gotten hot from the summer heat and it has progressed to a sticky, gooey mess that cannot be properly cleaned. It reminds me of those old auburn colored fly strips we used to hang from the ceiling when we were kids. Cracks started appearing last summer and now several more have appeared this summer. I was not notified of a recall and I just found it online this morning while searching for a cleaning solution. I plan on owning this vehicle for at least another 5 years and I fear the dashboard will be an absolute disaster by then.

- Todd E., Concord, US

Jan 312018

Camry LX V4

Change or give me a cover to resolve the problem.

- Hector O., Santa Ana, US