CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

7.9

$1,891.00

1. add a quart every 1000 miles (49 reports)
  3. add oil (27 reports)
  4. repair pistons/oil leak (20 reports)
  5. replace engine (12 reports)
  6. rebuild engine (3 reports)
2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Oct 212017

Camry LE 2.4L

Vehicle burns excessive oil and car was filled with oil on 10/19/2017 on 10/21/2017 while driving the vehicle the engine began to knock extremely loud. Pulled the car over to check under the hood and the oil dip stick was completely bone dry not a drop of oil on the ground but the oil seems to have vanished from the vehicle. Now the engine is shot and needs to be completely replaced. Toyota has not issued a recall for this problem and I have seen multiple individuals with the same scenario.

- , Racine, US

Jun 012016

Camry CE V4

Engine burns oil, need add a bottle of oil every month.

- , Belmont, US

Sep 292017

Camry LE V4

click to see larger images

burning oil burning oil burning oil

Panama city Toyota told me to my face that my car was burning oil. There was a recall about it but they refused to apply the recall on my car. My car is clearly burning oil. I have 2000 miles to go until I change oil again but I barely have oil in my engine.

- , Panama City Beach, US

Feb 022017

Camry ES 2az, Vds: Be46k

My 2007 Camry has bad pistons and piston rings which are causing the 4 cylinder engine to burn oil at an ever increasing amount. Currently it is consuming 1 quart every 1,200 miles and is getting worse!! Toyota issues a Technical Service Bulletin (T-SB-0158-14) for a really lame process to monitor and reject this issue as normal!! The way Toyota is handling this is a joke. I consider this a safety issue along with the loss of value to my vehicle.

- , Long Beach, US

Oct 052017

Camry LE 2.4L

MY CAMRY 2007 BURNS OIL. I CHANGED OIL MONTH AGO AND THIS WEEK I FOUND OIL LAMP BLINKING. I ADDED MORE THAN A QUART OF OIL.

- , Windsor, ON, Canada

Jan 012017

Camry LS 4 cyl

About half way through the oil change period, my engine oil light comes on. I have brought the car in to the mechanic and have been told that there is no oil in the oil pan. I put in a few more quarts and move on my way. Now I buy multiple quarts of oil and put them in periodically. As of right now this is simply annoying. I am worried that this will turn into a major problem later.

- , Menifee, US

Nov 012016

Camry SE 2.4L V4

My family is extremely loyal to the Toyota brand and we have never had any major issues with any of our vehicles in the past. I noticed that my 2007 Camry SE 2.4L V4 had been burning oil extremely fast a little over a year ago. At first, a mechanic told me that I needed to change my valve cover gasket as that was what he presumed to be the root cause of the issue. After I paid to get that replaced I noticed that my engine was still burning oil at an extremely fast rate. I proceeded to change my PCV valve and switch to a synthetic-blend. Nothing at all has helped with the oil consumption. It is draining my pockets and time. Multiple mechanics have confirmed that there are no oil leaks. I am so disappointed because this issue is extremely draining and unsafe. My car burns over 1 quart every thousand miles. I believe there is an issue with my engine, I've read similar complaints about this and need to get this fixed. I hope that Toyota can help me with this issue.

- , Arlington, US

Sep 042017

Camry LE 2.4L 4 cyl

I owned seven Toyotas and unfortunately two 2007 Camrys. Both cars burn oil however one a lot more than the other. I took the car in for evaluation a year ago and the dealer said it was within what they considered normal amount of oil consumed. I'm use to Toyota's burning less than a quart between oil changes and anything more than a quart burned between 5k mile oil changes is too much in my opinion. This problem started with the car having less than 50k miles and steadily increased to close to 4 quarts between oil changes. Now, I just called Toyota to bring in the car for another evaluation (just over 10 yrs old and only 101k mi) and they said I'm too late.

I read online that this old burning is due to a poorly designed ring and piston on the 2.4L engine. If this is how they handle their design defect then I will remember next time I need to buy a car. I usually keep my Toyotas a long time 10 - 20 years and now I can't depend on them (who wants a car the you must monitor the oil level constantly because it burns it so fast and you don't want to burn up the engine if it gets too low also you can't sell the car because you should tell the next owner of this major issue)

This problem should have been a extended recall (fix the piston and ring design problem) and not wait until the oil consumption goes pass their threshold level if you notice and bring it in for testing. From what I read the car has to burns 1 quart every 1,200 miles before they would have fixed it (way way too high of a threshold, like I said before I don't believe the car should burn more than a quart every 5k miles).

....bad bad bad Toyota for not standing by your product and loyal customers. I thought I was going to be a Toyota man for life, but after today sorry. Toyota complaint case #1709213084

- , Northridge, CA, USA

Feb 032015

Camry

I have been suffering for this pain for the last 3 years and toyota never sent me any updates on this. In February I went to toyota dealer for excessive oil consumption test and find out My piston ring has problems. because its more than 10 years old its not covered in extended warranty program, and the cost to fit it is $3500.00.

- , San Dimas, US

Feb 062008

Camry LE 2.4L 4 cyl

My husband bought me a Camry for my birthday brand new in July 2006. Within a year, the check oil light came on well before the due date for an oil change. I thought it was the break in period, never having a new car before. I just made sure to keep it checked and had my oil changes and maintenance on time. I wondered why it continued to consume so much oil which wasn't exactly inexpensive.

Fast forward to January of this year (2017) when my colleague mentioned her Camry hybrid had the exact same issue and needed to be rebuilt due to a poor design (rings/pistons). I contacted the dealership to be told the "alert" expired in November of 2016. This car was $28,000 and has eaten oil from day one. Now it's at the point where I can't keep the ignition coils from fouling due to the oil consumption. I'm right at 180,000 miles.

This is our fourth Toyota. We had a 92 Corolla that was still running strong at 300,000 miles. What the heck? I'm so angry about this, I bought it for dependability never caring for the look or the plain interior and feel ripped off.

- , Longview, US

Sep 102017

Camry CE 4 cylider

I love my 2007 Toyota Camry but this burning through oil thing is killing my pocket book. Looking up the repair for this appears to be very costly as well. From looking on this website I am not the only one having this problem with a Camry!

- , Alhambra, US

Jul 182017

Camry XLE

We purchased a used 2007 Toyota Camry XLE and have discovered the oil problem. We have added 3 quarts in a little over 3000 miles. I talked to a dealership and they told me I didn't qualify for it being fixed because the car's manufacture date was May 2016. Is this really the way it works? Mileage 131,000.

- , Portland, ME, US

Oct 102016

Camry SE V6

I am very responsible and up keep my cars maintenance very well. I started noticing that my check oil light kept coming on very quickly, even though I was keeping up with my oil changes properly. I received the warranty enhancement notification and called my local dealership and set up an appointment. They informed me that they would change my oil, record the mileage and asked me to come back after 1,200 miles. I came in and they said that the test was negative and I had no issue with this. It also "happened" to be 21 days before the primary warranty coverage deadline, and 8 miles before the secondary coverage. How convenient...?

I kept up with my oil changes at different companies that would continue to tell me, my car was burning oil. I kept telling them, I got it checked at my dealership and they said it was fine. Just thinking they were trying to get over on me and to spend more money then necessary. Exactly 10 months after I took my car into the dealership to get tested, it stalled on me and my vehicle is no longer in use. I have zero oil even though it is still clean and I have over 1,000 miles until I need to get another oil change.

The dealership is telling my that since it tested negative for the defect they will not pay the money to get my vehicle repaired. I'm out of a car. I can't go to work, my appointments, or my errands because they knew damn well that this was an issue and made the cutoff mile margin so conveniently to cover their ass and don't have to fix their wrongs. They have no concern for their customers satisfaction, safety, or hard living. I went with Toyota because I needed an affordable, reliable vehicle.

I will never again buy one. I would rather spend the money that it would take to repair their negligence, on a lawyer to make them fix their wrong. This is not right and they have plenty of money to fix it. They just don't want to or care!

- , San Antonio, US

Apr 272017

Camry LE 4 cyl

Sometime in January 2017 my wife was hit on the back passenger side of car by a school bus. There was body damage but car was still drivable. school bus had no insurance so we eventually went through own insurance. the school bus was at fault. anyhow my wife had just gotten a scheduled oil change. The very next day the oil was gone. We raised hell with speedy oil change thinking it was their problem. we had them to pick car up and check it. but they found nothing wrong on their part. a few days later the car begin to run hot. the fan was blowing hot air inside the car. at this point we could only run car for a few miles before it would overheat and cut off. we had to wait for it to cool down to ride it farther. after a couple of days water began to spew out of the side or bottom of the radiator. Then I decided to get it towed to Toyota for the body work and to check out the radiator. that is when we were informed of the recalls on the 2007 Camry. We were told how blessed we were because of the accident and that they had taken care of the recalls. that they did something to the engine and it was fine. It had started. After the car sat there for over a month because of issues over money from the insurance company we took car home. Before I took it home I took it on a short test drive and it ran fine and was not overheating. Since it sat there so long I had turned in my license plate so I did not have to continue with insurance for that period. So I drove it home with no problem and parked it. the next day I checked the oil and found it nearly out. I figured they had only put enough in to get me home so the next day I added 5 quarts. the car sat for another week or so and I decided to take it to the drivers bureau for inspection. It made it there about 15 miles or so without a problem. we were there for about 5 hours. we headed for home and about 2 minutes off the lot headed for the interstate it began to lose compression. I was able to go a maximum of 40 mph. in the right lane for about 2-3 miles as it was losing even more speed. I exited the interstate at 20mph. and drifted another few miles and the car begin to cut off, so I had to keep restarting each time I hit the brakes. Finally after a lot of trial and error I pulled onto Wal-Mart parking lot. I checked the oil and found that all the oil was gone. it had burnt up. So I added another 5 quarts I purchased at Wal-Mart. it restarted but shut right off. I waited about a half hour and it started, was real rough and only able to get to 20mph. It went for 2-3 blocks and shut off again. we parked it until about 3pm the next day and returned to get it. it started and was able to go 40mph for a few miles then I had to drift at 20mph another few miles home. I am looking for advice. what is Toyota's responsibility?

- , New Orleans, LA, US

Aug 012015

Camry

I bought a Camry because everyone said BUY A CAMRY and you'll never have to worry about a car again! Bought it used, got good reports, but has lost oil from day one. Now THREE mechanics have said that's an issue with Camrys over a certain age. Great.

- , Versailles, US

Jun 252015

Camry LX

Was told oil consumption test passed, but still burned oil more than normal. Now being told outside of the window that Toyota will fix for free. Was dealing with this issue long before I went "outside" the window to fix.

- , Fort Worth, TX, US

Jul 142015

Camry CE 2.4L

Wife's Car...Purchased new in 2007. This was first noticed at 140,000 miles when the oil pressure light came on July 2015 015 at 3000 miles after an oil change. I added 3.5 quarts to get it full again. I monitored it and it was losing a quart every 880 miles. I asked my wife to alert me or add a quart of oil every 800 miles or so, and she preferred to not do so. So I traded my older car in, and bought her a new car (Honda). I have been driving the Camry since. It is now going through a quart of oil every 470 miles. To Toyota - My college age kids each have a Toyota with over 220K miles on them, a 1998 4Runner and a 2003 Tacoma, neither of those cars burns a drop of oil in 5000 miles, so Toyota, you definitely did something wrong on this engine. Pay up to repair it Toyota. My future plans include buying no new Toyotas, but I might still shop for low mileage used Toyotas with the 2.7 L engine that is in the 4Runner and the Tacoma. Toyota quality peaked 12 years ago and the quality has gone down ever since. Buy Honda, Hyundai - or older model Toyotas.

- , Carrollton, TX, USA

Jun 212017

Camry LE V4

We have a beautiful EXCELLENT CONDITION "TOYOTA CAMRY" car with 120,000 miles on it, NEVER missed an OIL CHANGE, we NEVER saw the car SMOKING anything at ALL, nothing on the dashboard was warning Us about LOW LEVEL OIL ever until,something went wrong after our last SCHEDULED OIL CHANGE where we got this warning sign "LOW ENGINE OIL PRESSURE" after driving it for 2000 miles then, I opened hood to check the OIL CAP and OIL LEVEL, noticing that we lost 3 quarts of OIL then right away we called the "TOYOTA scam DEALER" and they toll Us add OIL and bring the car immediately to see it getting the bad news that the ENGINE WILL HAVE TO BE REBUILT with a juicy price of $5.000 dollars.

TOYOTA CEO PLEASE MAKE THE RECALL BECAUSE THE COMPANY REALLY IS A FRAUD and A JOKE, IT WILL PAY FOR THIS MISTAKES ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

- , Renton, US

Jan 012014

Camry CE V4

On several occasions, I contacted Toyota about the oil consumption in my 2007 Camry. I always thought 1 quart of oil consumption for every 400 miles was excessive. However, every time I took the car for oil consumption test, the technician at Curry Toyota (Cortlandt Manor, NY) told me that the car passed the oil consumption test even when the catalytic converter failed and replaced in 2015. Two years later (June 2017), the replacement catalytic converter also failed. This time, I was told by Curry Toyota that the excessive oil consumption caused the catalytic converter failure. I am writing this note here to express my extreme dissatisfaction with Toyota for refusing to fix the engine in 2015 under the extended warranty that you offered for cars with 2AZ-FE engines. The car met the mileage and age tests in 2015 for the repair under extended warranty.

- , Yorktown Heights, NY, US

May 012017

Camry LE 2.4L

Bought the car used at 117,000 miles and later noticed every 1,000 miles needed to add 1QT of oil, spoke to the Mechanic told me to sell the car. It has issues burning oil and has replaced engines on several cars from 2007-2009 and told me to buy either 2010 or 2011, better engines. Not very happy, wish I would have known before spending almost 6k.

- , Garland, TX, US