CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

7.9

$1,780.00

2. add a quart every 1000 miles (45 reports)
  3. add oil (25 reports)
  4. repair pistons/oil leak (19 reports)
  5. replace engine (10 reports)
  6. repaired engine (3 reports)
2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Jul 182017

Camry XLE

We purchased a used 2007 Toyota Camry XLE and have discovered the oil problem. We have added 3 quarts in a little over 3000 miles. I talked to a dealership and they told me I didn't qualify for it being fixed because the car's manufacture date was May 2016. Is this really the way it works? Mileage 131,000.

- , Portland, ME, US

Oct 102016

Camry SE V6

I am very responsible and up keep my cars maintenance very well. I started noticing that my check oil light kept coming on very quickly, even though I was keeping up with my oil changes properly. I received the warranty enhancement notification and called my local dealership and set up an appointment. They informed me that they would change my oil, record the mileage and asked me to come back after 1,200 miles. I came in and they said that the test was negative and I had no issue with this. It also "happened" to be 21 days before the primary warranty coverage deadline, and 8 miles before the secondary coverage. How convenient...?

I kept up with my oil changes at different companies that would continue to tell me, my car was burning oil. I kept telling them, I got it checked at my dealership and they said it was fine. Just thinking they were trying to get over on me and to spend more money then necessary. Exactly 10 months after I took my car into the dealership to get tested, it stalled on me and my vehicle is no longer in use. I have zero oil even though it is still clean and I have over 1,000 miles until I need to get another oil change.

The dealership is telling my that since it tested negative for the defect they will not pay the money to get my vehicle repaired. I'm out of a car. I can't go to work, my appointments, or my errands because they knew damn well that this was an issue and made the cutoff mile margin so conveniently to cover their ass and don't have to fix their wrongs. They have no concern for their customers satisfaction, safety, or hard living. I went with Toyota because I needed an affordable, reliable vehicle.

I will never again buy one. I would rather spend the money that it would take to repair their negligence, on a lawyer to make them fix their wrong. This is not right and they have plenty of money to fix it. They just don't want to or care!

- , San Antonio, US

Apr 272017

Camry LE 4 cyl

Sometime in January 2017 my wife was hit on the back passenger side of car by a school bus. There was body damage but car was still drivable. school bus had no insurance so we eventually went through own insurance. the school bus was at fault. anyhow my wife had just gotten a scheduled oil change. The very next day the oil was gone. We raised hell with speedy oil change thinking it was their problem. we had them to pick car up and check it. but they found nothing wrong on their part. a few days later the car begin to run hot. the fan was blowing hot air inside the car. at this point we could only run car for a few miles before it would overheat and cut off. we had to wait for it to cool down to ride it farther. after a couple of days water began to spew out of the side or bottom of the radiator. Then I decided to get it towed to Toyota for the body work and to check out the radiator. that is when we were informed of the recalls on the 2007 Camry. We were told how blessed we were because of the accident and that they had taken care of the recalls. that they did something to the engine and it was fine. It had started. After the car sat there for over a month because of issues over money from the insurance company we took car home. Before I took it home I took it on a short test drive and it ran fine and was not overheating. Since it sat there so long I had turned in my license plate so I did not have to continue with insurance for that period. So I drove it home with no problem and parked it. the next day I checked the oil and found it nearly out. I figured they had only put enough in to get me home so the next day I added 5 quarts. the car sat for another week or so and I decided to take it to the drivers bureau for inspection. It made it there about 15 miles or so without a problem. we were there for about 5 hours. we headed for home and about 2 minutes off the lot headed for the interstate it began to lose compression. I was able to go a maximum of 40 mph. in the right lane for about 2-3 miles as it was losing even more speed. I exited the interstate at 20mph. and drifted another few miles and the car begin to cut off, so I had to keep restarting each time I hit the brakes. Finally after a lot of trial and error I pulled onto Wal-Mart parking lot. I checked the oil and found that all the oil was gone. it had burnt up. So I added another 5 quarts I purchased at Wal-Mart. it restarted but shut right off. I waited about a half hour and it started, was real rough and only able to get to 20mph. It went for 2-3 blocks and shut off again. we parked it until about 3pm the next day and returned to get it. it started and was able to go 40mph for a few miles then I had to drift at 20mph another few miles home. I am looking for advice. what is Toyota's responsibility?

- , New Orleans, LA, US

Aug 012015

Camry

I bought a Camry because everyone said BUY A CAMRY and you'll never have to worry about a car again! Bought it used, got good reports, but has lost oil from day one. Now THREE mechanics have said that's an issue with Camrys over a certain age. Great.

- , Versailles, US

Jun 252015

Camry LX

Was told oil consumption test passed, but still burned oil more than normal. Now being told outside of the window that Toyota will fix for free. Was dealing with this issue long before I went "outside" the window to fix.

- , Fort Worth, TX, US

Jul 142015

Camry CE 2.4L

Wife's Car...Purchased new in 2007. This was first noticed at 140,000 miles when the oil pressure light came on July 2015 015 at 3000 miles after an oil change. I added 3.5 quarts to get it full again. I monitored it and it was losing a quart every 880 miles. I asked my wife to alert me or add a quart of oil every 800 miles or so, and she preferred to not do so. So I traded my older car in, and bought her a new car (Honda). I have been driving the Camry since. It is now going through a quart of oil every 470 miles. To Toyota - My college age kids each have a Toyota with over 220K miles on them, a 1998 4Runner and a 2003 Tacoma, neither of those cars burns a drop of oil in 5000 miles, so Toyota, you definitely did something wrong on this engine. Pay up to repair it Toyota. My future plans include buying no new Toyotas, but I might still shop for low mileage used Toyotas with the 2.7 L engine that is in the 4Runner and the Tacoma. Toyota quality peaked 12 years ago and the quality has gone down ever since. Buy Honda, Hyundai - or older model Toyotas.

- , Carrollton, TX, USA

Jun 212017

Camry LE V4

We have a beautiful EXCELLENT CONDITION "TOYOTA CAMRY" car with 120,000 miles on it, NEVER missed an OIL CHANGE, we NEVER saw the car SMOKING anything at ALL, nothing on the dashboard was warning Us about LOW LEVEL OIL ever until,something went wrong after our last SCHEDULED OIL CHANGE where we got this warning sign "LOW ENGINE OIL PRESSURE" after driving it for 2000 miles then, I opened hood to check the OIL CAP and OIL LEVEL, noticing that we lost 3 quarts of OIL then right away we called the "TOYOTA scam DEALER" and they toll Us add OIL and bring the car immediately to see it getting the bad news that the ENGINE WILL HAVE TO BE REBUILT with a juicy price of $5.000 dollars.

TOYOTA CEO PLEASE MAKE THE RECALL BECAUSE THE COMPANY REALLY IS A FRAUD and A JOKE, IT WILL PAY FOR THIS MISTAKES ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

- , Renton, US

Jan 012014

Camry CE V4

On several occasions, I contacted Toyota about the oil consumption in my 2007 Camry. I always thought 1 quart of oil consumption for every 400 miles was excessive. However, every time I took the car for oil consumption test, the technician at Curry Toyota (Cortlandt Manor, NY) told me that the car passed the oil consumption test even when the catalytic converter failed and replaced in 2015. Two years later (June 2017), the replacement catalytic converter also failed. This time, I was told by Curry Toyota that the excessive oil consumption caused the catalytic converter failure. I am writing this note here to express my extreme dissatisfaction with Toyota for refusing to fix the engine in 2015 under the extended warranty that you offered for cars with 2AZ-FE engines. The car met the mileage and age tests in 2015 for the repair under extended warranty.

- , Yorktown Heights, NY, US

Camry LE 2.4L

Bought the car used at 117,000 miles and later noticed every 1,000 miles needed to add 1QT of oil, spoke to the Mechanic told me to sell the car. It has issues burning oil and has replaced engines on several cars from 2007-2009 and told me to buy either 2010 or 2011, better engines. Not very happy, wish I would have known before spending almost 6k.

- , Garland, TX, US

Dec 012015

Camry LE 2.4L

Back in December 2015 I went to IRA Toyota Tewksbury, Massachusetts for a known TOYOTA issue of EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION. I had just found out after going through phases of changing OIL and then seeing the OIL LIGHT come up just after about 1,000 miles or so. I found out that this was a known issue by Toyota.

When I went to Toyota of Tewksbury, Massachusetts - they did their test and confirmed that indeed I had the issue. They accepted to REPAIR the vehicle which takes a few days. After I received the car back, I could hear a different sound from the engine after I started it but also sometimes when driving.

I went back to Toyota 1 week after to report the issue. They told me that they could not hear the noise or the different sound of the engine I was talking about. I was convinced but without proof that maybe something was loose or something was not done right when they had to take the WHOLE ENGINE OUT to repair this issue of EXCESSIVE OIL. I accepted to live with this noise and different sound thinking maybe my 2007 car was just getting oil.

A few months after, I noticed that the OIL light was coming on again - sometimes at 2,000 miles or less but I simply added OIL or went for an oil change. By January 2017 this year, the issue was becoming frequent so I called Toyota at 1-800-3331-4331 to complain. Toyota told me that I should go back to the same dealer since they were the ones who worked on my car in the first place. I told them that I did not feel comfortable since they had not done a good job in the first place. They insisted that I go there. They opened a case #1701232302 for my issue.

I went back to Toyota and they again did their diagnosis/test where they add OIL, put a seal on the oil stick and ask you to return when you see the oil light come on. The OIL light came on after just 1, 000 miles. I went back and Toyota confirmed that indeed there was an issue of EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION. To my surprise they told me that they could not work on my car again because I came 14 months after and 14,379 miles ago. They told me that I was OUT OF WARRANTY. I have since called Toyota again at 1-800-3331-4331 to complain.

Toyota called back the local dealer in Tewksbury, Massachusetts and the local Regional Manager. They all said that they cannot take my car and if I needed it repaired - it would come out of my pocket. I am now stuck with a car which is starting to squeal and shake when I change gear or hold my foot on the clutch. I am scared as I drive it and keep hoping that it will not get me into an accident. It had just all of a sudden stopped on me in the middle of the road. Thank God I was on a small street and driving slowly. But the steeling wheel just went cold on me and I struggled to hold it and pull the car on the curb.

I have exhausted all avenues I know of and need help.

- , Dracut, US

Jun 142017

Camry CE V4

Religiously changed oil every 3 months / 3,000 miles - now 1,000 miles away from next oil change the oil light starts coming on - just for a couple seconds but I see it. I take it to the mechanic who tells me the engine is down 2 quarts - he's puzzled. I Googled the problem only to find that with Camry's 2007 thru 2011 this is a HUGE PROBLEM . . . . what makes it worse those with higher mileage are screwed. . . . so do I get a 'rebuilt' engine, add oil every 2 weeks or get a NEW CAR THAT WILL NOT BE A CAMRY!

- , Hammond, US

Camry LE 4

Burning oil, a quart every 1000 miles or so, and only 103,000 miles.

- , Bothell, WA, US

May 152015

Camry SE 2.4L

2007 Camry excessive oil consumption. This is a common problem with Toyota that affects numerous models between the years 2006 and 2011. There was a TSB sent out to dealers on this matter.

I bought my 2007 Camry in April of 2015 with 140,000 kms. on it believing that the Toyota product was good. After driving the car about a month I noticed the oil going down on the dipstick. Initially, I thought nothing of it and simply added oil between oil changes. I'm a stickler on oil changes and change the oil every 5000 to 6000 kms. and use only Castrol GTX motor oil. One day, a friend came to my house and we got to talking. He said his sister in laws Camry was doing the same thing and that she brought it into the dealer and they did an oil consumption test. The test revealed that she was burning over 1 liter of oil per 2000 kms. Toyota went good for the repair and fixed her car. So, off to Toyota I go. I had 236,000 kms on my car when they performed the oil consumption test. When I brought it back in, 2000 kms later, I was told that it was not burning a liter per 2000 kms so it didn't qualify for the repair. (I never did see what oil was on the dipstick when the dealer checked. I took their word for it). I asked them what's gonna happen if later on down the road it starts burning more oil. They told me that it was my responsibility and that Toyota had done their part in doing the oil consumption test. Well, here we are at 280,000 kms. and I'm burning a liter of oil every 1200 kms or so, depending on how I drive. I'm now using the more expensive high mileage Castrol oil in the hopes it will help my problem. So far, it hasn't made a bit of difference. This was my first Toyota and I bought it because of its reliability history. I doubt I'll buy another. If this is how Toyota treats it's customers, I may as well buy a domestic car as the Toyota's are not worth the extra money.

- , West Arichat, NS, Canada

Aug 272015

Camry CE 2.4L Litre

I bought my car from a reputable dealer in Kitchener (where I live) "USED" (as the Toyota rep explained to me was my fault for not doing my research ) but her lack of customer service/care is just a whole other problem I won't mention much.......

I started noticing my car burning a crazy amount of oil and was taking it in to get oil changes way more then I should have. Then one day I bring my car in for an oil change at Heffner Toyota (where I was going for almost all. my changes since I owned it) and they tell me about this "oil consumption test " that they can do to tell me if I qualify for the burning oil problem that is a known problem.

My car qualified to get fixed and they say Toyota Canada will send the part to fix it when it comes in (at the time I'm thinking what a great company to stand behind there mistakes and make it right, after all that's why I bought a Toyota to have a safe reliable car. I called about every 3-4 months to make sure they didn't forget about me, wasn't rude and they reassured me that there's no games being played and when the part arrives it will get fixed and in the mean time hold my oil receipts and they may even give me the money back for those as well. After making me wait well over a year "for the part to come in", I was in no better a state than before.

Now finally my part comes in and Heffner Toyota tells me to call Toyota Canada to verify before they go ahead with the repair. The customer service lady made me feel worthless because I bought a used car from a reputable dealer in my city.

They (Toyota Canada) asked me to provide the last 100,000 km's in oil change receipts. I only owned it for the last 60,000 and I took it to a Toyota dealership ,what more could I do ? well she said they can't fix the problem unless I give that info. I called the dealership I got the car from and they explained to me as of 2012 its no longer allowed to share previous owners info.

My major issue is a year and a half ago when they told me they would fix it when the part came in there was no mention I would have to provide such info ,instead they admitted it's a well known issue on these Camrys ,Now they refuse to fix it and my engine has got so bad over the time of waiting its barley driveable. I'm a single dad with not a whole lot of extra money had they mentioned I would have to provide info I can't even legally provide, I would have sod the car in the beginning. A recall is a recall and to treat me this way is insane, I was so proud to own a Toyota, not so much any more.

Please any help would be so much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

- , kitchener , ON, Canada

May 122016

Camry LE 2.4L Inline 4 cyl

I recognized this problem early on with a distinct rattling/clunking sound that I would hear and kept on getting an oil change as needed. Asked many friends who work on cars and got it looked at. Finally when I go in for the dashboard I find out their is another oil problem. The guy at the dealership tells me to "just not worry about it and add oil every 1200 miles." The noise still kept on coming even after I added oil.

So I looked up this problem online and then went back to the dealership and called Toyota. The cs rep was very rude and said I will "deny" you to talk to a manger. The dealership said they can't do anything since the extended warranty ended at 150k miles. A couple of days later when I finally got a Toyota supervisor on the line, not even a manager, I was told that the time is over for the fix and I would need to pay Toyota 5k-6k to fix this problem!!!! Very disappointed in this 2007 Toyota Camry.

- , Memphis, US

My Camry 2007 with 131 000Km burns more than a liter / 1000 Km

- , Montreal, QC, Canada

Dec 012016

Camry LX V6

I will never ever ever buy another sorry ass Toyota!!!

- , Lexington Park, US

Apr 042017

Camry

Toyota is ripping off by producing engines that takes excessive oil consumption. It is high costly and always a pain to keep checking oil after few hundred miles. Changing valve and changing brand oil did not worked out either. Very disappoint from the Toyota brand.

- , Edmond, US

Mar 012011

Camry

I have been having to add oil to my 2007 Camry between changes since 2011. This is ridiculous. We took it in to the dealership several times and they told us they did not have time to fix it however the recall was for a lifetime to not worry about it. I just called and they told me that it is out of date and cannot be fixed. I am needless to say not happy!!!!

I believe this should be fixed under the recall as this was a recall and the dealership gave me the wrong information. Gambrel Toyota in Corbin, KY was the dealership. There have been too many recalls on this car!

- , Barbourville, US

Jul 012015

Camry LE 4s

July 2015 my check oil light came on, I put 5 quarts of oil in my car, three weeks later I checked the oil and I had to put 2 more quarts of oil in the car. I began to put oil in the car once or twice a month 2-4 quarts at a time. In September, I took my car to the local Toyota dealer, they said the could do an oil consumption test to determine if my car needed a part that was on "back order" and this was an issue for this make and model. So, I let the dealership tag my car, I brought the car back during the test so they could check the oil without messing up the test, they had to put a quart in at that time. Then I took the car back to finish the test. They said my car passed the test and that there were 12 other people ahead of me for the same issue and they don't have the part and it's back ordered. The mechanic said to continue to check the oil and put it in as needed. So, I had other maintenance issue after this, took the car back had an oil change and informed them, I'm still putting a lot of oil in my car. They continued to tell me the part is still on back order. So a year goes by and I'm still putting oil in this car. When I initially took the car in it was under the 150,000 mile warranty, Now I have 176,000 miles on the car and the dealership is telling me that there is noting they could do, but I would have to pay out of pocket to have my engine pulled and they would have to replace the engine......I have paperwork from the dealership with the mileage stating that I was under warranty and my car "passed" how can a vehicle pass and then a year later they are telling me I need a whole new engine. I contacted cooperate office and told them the situation. They said Toyota is not liable to pay for any of this, but I could if I would like. I told them, I brought the car in when it was under warranty and they just keep saying it passed. No it did not!! I'm putting 3 quarts of oil in this car, weekly. I'm so frustrated with this whole mess. They completely lied and brushed this under the rug. Now, I have a bigger problem when they could have just fixed it from the beginning.

- , Laporte, US