2009 Toyota Camry engine problems: excessive oil consumption

Excessive Oil Consumption

2009 Toyota Camry (Page 1 of 9)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

7.5

$1,396.00

2. replace engine block (14 reports)
  3. starting the excessive oil consumption test (14 reports)
  4. rebuild engine (11 reports)
  5. situation was not fix. I was told to get a new car (11 reports)
  6. toyota says 1.1 qts. per 600mi is normal (11 reports)
2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Sep 012017

Camry LE 4 cyl

My daughter drives the car and has complained about oil consumption but no leaks or smoke out the back, so I checked it out for her & found she was right. 1 quart 5-20 synthetic oil per 1000 miles. Called Wolfchase Toyota, Germantown, TN today. "Nicole" in service said that the warranty only covers 10 years or 15,000 miles. Our car is at 158,000. No dice.

- , Eads, TN, US

Feb 012017

Camry XLE 4 Cyclinder

Consistently having my oil changed on schedule. At the beginning of the year, started using excessive oil. In between oil changes, oil needs to be added. Drains completely out before next oil change is due. Have tried using regular, mixed regular and synthetic and full synthetic. Problem continues...

- , Bardstown, US

Mar 012015

Camry LE

The oil burns excessively. I had an oil change the first week of May 2017. I checked the oil stick 3 weeks later and it was completely dry. I'm always adding oil to the vehicle This problem has caused me financial harm because I want to sell the vehicle and I can't get as much as I would like because this car has a defect. I'm making the potential buyers aware of this defect.

Toyota has not recalled the vehicles and it's very disappointing to me because I always viewed Toyota as a reputable car seller and I now feel otherwise.

- , Justice, US

Nov 122016

Camry SE 2.4L V6

What can I say, I purchased my Toyota because of the stellar reputation. I had plans of giving this car to my daughter in four years when she started to drive. How can I feel comfortable giving a car that burns 1-2 quarts of oil a week to my most precious cargo?? Even worse, there was no communication of this issue. I understand this is not being a recall, but how can I let my wife drive a car that could break down at any point?? I am extremely disappointed in Toyota and how they handled this issue. I've scheduled an appointment with Toyota to complete an oil consumption test to see if I'm eligible. I realize defects occur, but I also expect Toyota to stand by their products and defects. I hope my issue is resolved, but Toyota has lost a loyal customer.

- , S, US

Jul 312017

Camry LE

I am the original owner and live at the same address as when I purchased the vehicle. I never was notified of this issue and was unaware until I searched the internet. I have had 3 NEW Toyotas in the past 15 years so I am brand loyal. So far, I have only been offered $500.00 for the repair of a KNOWN PROBLEM, acknowledged by Toyota that is estimated to cost 3-4 K. Really wish I had known this before I spend $30K on a 17 RAV4. Maybe Toyota will come through in the end and help me out with more than $500 offered.

- , Hortonville, WI, US

Jan 022017

Camry

CONSTANTLY HAVE TO ADD OIL IN BETWEEN OIL CHANGES. USUALLY 1 QUART A WEEK.

- , Seabrook, US

Mar 012017

Camry XLE 2.4L V4

After selling car to my son 6 + months later he began running out of oil prior to 3,000 miles on 2 occasions. Car would make a beeping noise every time he would brake or turn corner. Took it in and was told completely out of oil. This happened twice so Toyota did the "stage 1" where they taped access to oil and had my son drive and return car between 1000 and 1200 miles. They said there was no loss of oil - it was right under fill mark. DON'T believe it at all.

I called Toyota corporate and was told to try another dealership to test. I am making an appointment and this time I am making sure I actually watch the result myself wen he takes it back in. Toyota has assigned a 2nd warranty enhancement coverage and I have until August 2018 to get this issue resolved. Noticed this is a major issue with others and their Toyota dealership is giving them the run around as well. I have always purchased Toyotas, but if this is not resolved, I guess I no longer will.

- , Springfield, US

Dec 012016

Camry

I paid cash for the car in 2011, almost $18,000.00. The vehicle had one owner & when I bought the car it only had 35000 miles on it. I would take my car to the dealership for oil changes regularly. The car started knocking and we checked the oil and it was bone dry, This is after I had driven the car for 2 months after the last oil change. There was no leaking at all. We added oil but because I had driven it with nothing in it the damage was already done to the motor. I drove the car about another month and we checked it and the same thing happened-no oil. We added motor oil and a week later on a Monday, I was going to scheduled an appointment to take it in and the motor completely died. The entire motor has to be replaced at this point.

I am pissed the Toyota dealership knew there was a problem and all of this could have been avoided if they had done the right thing. I am about to call them now but I know its not going to go well. They are a bunch of crooks. The sad thing about this is I had a 2002 Camry that was purchased brand new and as soon as I got it paid off 2 years later the motor went out. I was much younger but it was probably related in some way because I always get oil changes and the standard services that are needed to take car of my car.

I just bought a 2014 camry when I had no choice because the 09 died. I plan to keep this car for another year and I will be getting something else. I have lost all faith with Toyota. My friend has a 2011 Toyota Camry she just bought with 40,000 miles and she is having problems with hers too. They are different problems but still she just got the car in January and has not had the car for 6 months yet!

- , Jacksonville, AR, US

Aug 012011

Camry LE V4

I purchased my car in May 2011 and within a few months, I noticed the oil burning faster than usual yet there were no leaks. This was my second Camry. My first I owned for 12 years (also owned a Scion so 3rd Toyota car purchased) and no issues so I knew this was not normal. I would take my car in for inspection and they couldn't find any leaks and told me it was normal.

Finally after years of having to get constant oil changes and purchasing extra gallons of oil to refill every 1K miles or less, I got a letter from Toyota on March 2016 and after taking it in for the oil consumption test, my car failed miserably and it was added to the list. My car was fixed on January 2017 and was told I would get reimbursed for the oil that I had to add because of the defect. I submitted ALL receipts and documentation that they requested on March 2017 and they gave me the runaround for months.

Although every single piece of proof was submitted, they would deny the requests. I kept calling and speaking to different reps, faxed/emailed documents as well as sent letters through certified mail. Finally on July 1, 2017, they decided to only pay $500 when the total out of pocket expenses since 2012 was $1,558.08.

Their reasoning was that they were only paying for any extra oil used between March 2016 until January 2017. This is not ok because I started having issues in 2012 and the issue was found in 2011 yet they didn't notify me until March 2016. They should have honored what their original letter stated which was based on when my car started having issues. I submitted proof of receipts as well as invoices from Goodyear of when this started. They did not honor their agreement as they should have.

I am very disappointed and they have lost a loyal Toyota customer.

- , Houston, US

Feb 012017

Camry LE 2.4L

In the last oil change cycle of 5000 Km, I added over 2 liters of oil to keep the oil level within the min/max marks on the oil stick. For this cycle, the oil ran down to below the min mark after only 1700 Km.

- , Markham, ON, Canada

Jun 082017

Camry LX 4 Cyclinder

I took my 2009 Toyota to the dealership for the oil consumption device to be placed on my car. It was not done on the first day but, had to bring it back two days later to be told that my car had too many miles and Toyota could not fix it but, I would be responsible for the repairs if I decided to correct the problem.I feel that if the Toyota is aware of a problem that is their negligence, it should be fixed no matter how many miles the vehicle has on it. I feel that if the Toyota is aware of a problem that is their negligence, it should be fixed no matter how many miles the vehicle has on it. This is a poor way to do business. I don't recall ever receiving a warrantee notice of this problem. This situation really makes me considering never buy the Toyota again!!

- , Greensboro, US

Jul 012015

Camry XLE V4

Car is burning 1 quart of oil every 1100 miles. Toyota has parts to fix but says that there is a back log on actually delivering the parts. I have been waiting for 4 months and car still not repaired.

- , Jackson, MS, USA

Jan 012016

Camry LE

I need to add a quart of motor oil every month. I have spoken to other mechanics who say that this is normal for an 148000 mile vehicle. Others say to add an engine treatment etc. I have kept most of my automobiles over 200000 miles and have never experienced this monthly problem. Finally, there are no engine oil leaks and there is no difference if you drive in the city or highway. The results are the same. Thanks. Hope you can help.

- , Palatine, US

Jun 012016

Camry 2.0L

A car using oil between oil changes is not normal. Toyota says 1 QT per 1000 miles is what it would take for them to fix the problem. The recommended oil change is 5000 miles. Do the math. The car would be completely without oil between oil changes, motor is blown. I don't know exactly how much my car is using between oil changes as I bought a 5 QT container and top off as needed. It's in excess of 2 QTRS. In my view this is not acceptable and Toyota should stand behind their product.

- , Florence, US

Apr 302017

Camry LX 2.4L

I purchased my 2009 Toyota Camry at 142000 miles on April of 2017. When I purchased the vehicle the owner mentioned she had just changed the oil and it was good for 5000 miles. I made my weekly check of fluids and what did I discover? At 143,414 miles my engine was 1.25 qts low! I've researched the web and found car complaints.com. I am currently scheduled to have the oil consumption test done.

Thanks

- , Torrance, US

Mar 012017

Camry LE

First heard about this from the manufacturer. Toyota sent me a letter about a potential problem of excessive oil consumption. Not a recall but a service warning. After receiving the letter, is when I started paying attention to the dipstick and sure enough it was always low, sometimes it did not register oil at all. So following the instructions on the letter I contacted the dealer. They monitor the oil every 1000 miles however the dealer claims it was fine...really? So I continued to monitor it and I find it low. This is not an intermittent problem right, why is it low when I check it yet fine when dealer checks it? Now I'm getting pissed. Of course dealer says their hands are tied.

- , Commerce Twp, US

May 202017

Camry

I have to add 1qts of oil every week. Told today 5/20/17 to replace my oil gasket cover cost $150. Hopefully this will help, I've owed a 1990 Toyota that had 300000 miles with never any issues. Now I have this 2009 lemon car with only 161000 miles it should last a very long time but I doubt it will with such a bad issue already. What happened Toyota??? It's suppose to be one of the best brand cars out there, but I don't recommend them anymore!

- , New Windsor, MD, US

Aug 102016

Camry ES 3.2L V4

TOYOTA SENT A LETTER WARNING OF THE EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION OF THE VEHICLE AND NOW, THEY DO NOT WANT TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BAD QUALITY OF ITS AUTOMOBILES. 60 MONTHLY PAYMENTS ON TIME FOR WHAT? ...

TOYOTA MUST BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE QUALITY MENTIONED TO HAVE IN THEIR ADVERTISING WORLDWIDE ...

WHERE IS THE QUALITY?

- , San Antonio, US

Apr 172017

Camry LE 2.4L 4-cyl

I have been dealing with this issue for over a year now. I have done the whole oil consumption test with the dealership and they said that the car had hardly burned off any oil after the 1,200 miles of driving. Yet when I drove the car for another 2,300 miles the oil pressure light comes on. So I have been carrying extra quarts of oil with my whenever the light comes on. Toyota said that I could have it tested again after 6 months and this would be the last one they would perform. There is never leaking oil anywhere out side of the car after it has been parked. Toyota clearly knows that there is an issue since they have posted at TSB. Just fix my car!

- , Louisville, KY, US

May 112017

Camry LE 2.4L

I have done Oil Consumption test on my Toyota Camry 2009 once before the notice and once with the notice. I disagree with the test my car uses way to consumes way to much oil I have never had a car this way. My car is consuming 1 quart every 1,200 miles and the Toyota dealer said it is normal, there is no problem on the car and they didn't fix that problem. They do not want to be responsible for this failure, which according to them this is normal.

- , El Cajon, US