2009 Toyota Camry engine problems: excessive oil consumption

Excessive Oil Consumption

2009 Toyota Camry (Page 2 of 9)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

7.5

$1,396.00

2. replace engine block (14 reports)
  3. starting the excessive oil consumption test (14 reports)
  4. rebuild engine (11 reports)
  5. situation was not fix. I was told to get a new car (11 reports)
  6. toyota says 1.1 qts. per 600mi is normal (11 reports)
2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 9)

Jun 012015

Camry LE

Camry started burning excessive oil about 2 years ago. I mentioned to Toyota during my service visit and they did all the usual stuff - put dye in to check for leaks, etc. They came out and said they can't figure it out, which means most likely i need a new engine. They said I could either spend thousands of dollars, or put up with it. So I put up with it. I would have to add oil every 2,500 miles. Now it seems to be getting worse - every 1,200 miles. There should definitely be a recall.

- , Randolph, US

Feb 252017

Camry XLE 4

I have had 4 brand new Toyotas since 1977 and none have had oil troubles; never burned any oil whats-so-ever. Always changed oil and filter every 5000 miles with Mobile 1 synthetic oil. Then out of the blue, I decided to check the oil, none was seen on the dip stick and the low oil light never came on. I put in about 2-2.5 quarts and kept on driving. 3 weeks later the oil was low again; no low oil light; no oil dripping onto the ground; no smoke from the tail pipe. Another quart of oil after a few hundred miles of driving. Planning to bring the car to Toyota auto shop for a check up.

- , Twinsburg, OH, US

Jan 102015

Camry 4dr Sedan 5M 2.4L

Toyota sent out notices about the oil excessive oil consumption about this car. we never received one, They said it was sent to original owner. Had we received a notice we would have taken the car back to dealership for the test. Now Toyota says since they have no record of us at the dealership (where we bought the car NORTH POINT TOYOTA IN JACKSONVILLE ARKANSAS) there is nothing they can do to help us.

- , Pangburn, US

Jul 012010

Camry L 2.4L

was burning 1-2 quarts per 2-mos of driving aprox 6k miles driven

- , Orlando, FL, USA

May 272016

Camry V4

Last year in the middle of 2016, I was concerned when I was burning excessive oil. And had to add over 2 quarts of oil before my next oil change. And left me self conscious about paying a lot of money out on an issue that I have a hard time understanding why i do not drive the car a lot of miles on a monthly basis. Why would I have to add oil before an oil change. Then after the next oil change, I had an oil consumption test done which after I went back to the local dealer. The dealer said that there was not an oil consumption issue. Hmm, So recently, at 95,500 miles probably about 2,000 miles after my last oil change. I find oil is low again. Then I had my husband check the oil level to make sure I am not seeing things and he said make another appointment with local dealer and bring it in. I am not leaking any oil but the oil level is reading low again. Very frustrating cause I do not drive excessive to where my oil level should be low...... we are gonna take it in and see what can be done again.

- , Port Orange, FL, US

Nov 192016

Camry LE 2.4L V4

The engine oil light had come on indicating my oil was low. I had a schedule oil change appointment in a few weeks so all I did was check the dipstick, which indicated the oil was low, and added two quarts. At my appointment on 11/19/16, I stated the oil issue and the service advisor started the oil consumption test. When I returned to get the results from the test on 1/2/17, it was revealed my car had failed and the oil was extremely low. I am told by a former certified Toyota mechanic, that their standards for failing oil consumption tests are very high, so to fail a test is a huge concern. The test was ran when my mileage was at 151,499. The oil consumption issue had obviously started well before the test was ran. However, since my car was out of the 10 yr/150k mile warranty, Toyota would not cover the cost of repair. I called the Toyota Customer Care line twice and they told me legally they could not cover the cost. They refused to acknowledge that the problem started before 151,499 miles. I called the Toyota Region to see if they will fix it in good will since I bought the car in good faith and always had it regularly maintenance at a Toyota dealership. I was still told no, they legally couldn't help me. I was never notified that my car had a potential for excessive oil consumption. The only recall notice I have ever received from them was to get extra grease put on a switch for my window motor. If they had alerted me sooner that my engine needed to be tested or if the service department had told me about the recall for similar cars, then I would not be stuck driving a dangerous vehicle. I have to put a quart of oil in every week just to make sure it is drivable. I am paying for the repair out of pocket hoping that there is no damage to my engine block. I do not want to sell this car since it is a potential danger and put someone else's life at risk.

- , Independence, KY, USA

Jul 162015

Camry SE 2.5L

Its using a quart of oil ever 1000 miles. Took it to the Toyota Dealer and they performed their oil consumption test on it and said it was normal. Ive been working on my cars and diligently doing oil changes at 3500 miles. This is the first time in 25 years that I have seen a car use this much oil. They are in denial!

- , Parker, CO, USA

Feb 052017

Camry LE 2.4L

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption

My son was recently left in the middle of the road with our 2009 Camry 5 seconds after the oil light came on. We were not aware of this problem or we would have advised him to check the oil every gas fill up to prevent problems. The car is a complete loss, but what concerns me most is that he was on a country highway with miles of open space between towns. Luckily he was just entering Bedford VA and made it to the entrance of a shopping center before the car died. Since he was blocking the shopping center entrance 'some random guy' helped him push the car into a parking area. Had this happened between towns and his car been stuck on the highway this could have been extremely dangerous.

Both the shop we towed the car to and the company that last changed the oil investigated why the oil ran dry after only 1500 miles. Their conclusions matched in that there were no signs of faulty maintenance from the oil change nor any signs of obvious leaks. To leave people in dangerous situations because a company does not want to accept responsibility for faulty or defective equipment nor do they want to advertise to owners that this could be a serious issue is beyond contempt. We would like to join any class action lawsuit due to Toyota's negligence in not informing the car owners of this serious problem.

Update from May 2, 2017: We were unable to get any help from Toyota due to the mileage on the car. We purchased a used engine with only 47,000 miles and had it installed. Total cost approximately $3000. Since we took good care of this car, thought it would give our son a few more years till graduating college. It ran beautifully... for one week, then he totaled it!! We got the engine off e-bay from AA Auto and Truck for $1674 including shipping. We paid a mechanic $1180 to install it.

- , Rihcmond, VA, USA

Aug 012014

Camry LE

Been working on this issue since 61,000 miles. Tests done reveled one quart low at 1200 miles, and Toyota said this is normal use. My dealership told me in December they would do yet another oil consumption test. This morning it was 3 quarts low at 1200 miles. In December my oil light came on, and it barely registered on the dip stick.

The dealership told me this morning they would order the parts and call me next week for repair. On my way to work, he called to say Toyota would not fix it.

What to do?!!? My car only has 104,000 miles on it. So disappointed in Toyota. I have had three, and many of my family members, as well.

Sabrina Hunter

- , Middlesboro, KY, US

Dec 012012

Camry LE

I have been a Toyota owner since 1997. I got over 300,000 miles out of my 97 Camry with minor issues. I purchased my new Camry in 2009. I noticed probably a few years after purchasing that the oil light would flash on and off when on inclines or sudden stops when it was close to an oil change. At first I thought there was a defect with the light. 2015 I was told that my car was 1/2 quart low on oil when I got the oil change but no sign of leaks. Began checking the oil more frequently and noticed it was using oil. Received a warranty enhancement from Toyota which included a test for oil consumption. I took my Toyota in twice for the test and both times it used a quart of oil but, I was told it had to use more than a quart in order to be put on a list for a possible repair. I was told the list was long and some people had been waiting for over a year for repairs. I guess I will never be able to get on the list because Toyota only allows for 2 test and if it didn't use over a quart Toyota will not repair. My car now uses approximately a quart every 700 miles. How is this normal? How can Toyota be well aware of the issue but, yet deny customers a fix? It is very frustrating!!!!

- , Social Circle, GA, USA

Mar 312016

Camry SE 1.4L

My 2009 Toyota Camry is consuming oil. It has been doing so at an alarming rate since it hit 133,000 miles. It is now up to approximately one quart per 1,000 miles. Toyota will do nothing. They had a program that deals with the oil consumption, but did not describe it in full detail, and in so doing ensured that I didn't meet the criteria. When I called the Toyota customer service, at 800-331-4331, the Customer Service representative noted that many people are frustrated with the program that they had in place. He said that dealerships did not understand the program because it was a confusing program. Bottom line was that Toyota will do nothing for me because the mileage deadline is 150,000 miles. I now have 150,430 miles on my car. The Customer Service rep also told me that he has complained about this in several staff meetings, but to no avail. He said that the number of complaints for this specific issue are increasing at his call center. He filed case # 1612273514 for my case. When I asked to speak to someone that could speak to me about the program, he said that there was nobody in his call center that could do anything. When I asked for someone who could do something, he said that they would not call me. He said that this is a piston ring issue causing the oil consumption issue. He told me that if I went to have it fixed, I should keep my receipt, and have the company doing the repairs provide a detailed receipt for future use if Toyota ever determined that they would fix the issue (which he highly doubted).

I told him that the bottom line was that I had a car that began burning oil at an alarming rate at 133,000 miles. I have owned many American made cars that did not burn any oil (because I change my oil religiously). This is my second Toyota product. The first was an FJ Cruiser that had rear wheel bearings failing at 60,000 miles. Now this issue with the Camry. I told him I wanted someone from Toyota to call me and tell me why I should buy another product with the Toyota name on it. He had no answer. I will not buy another Toyota. Their poor customer service is only eclipsed by their completely inferior products. And they couldn't care less.....

- , South Bend, IN, US

May 202016

Camry 2.4L

Well I took car to Toyota dealership twice and both times they told me it's normal but it takes 2 1/2 qts between oil changes. I don't think it's normal.

- , Waukee, IA, USA

Oct 022015

Camry 4 cylinger

AT FIRST DIDN'T THINK MUCH ABOUT IT. AFTER A FEW MONTHS I KNEW THERE WAS A PROBLEM. I DID TAKE TO DEALERSHIP AND HAVE THEM DO THE "EXCESSIVE OIL USAGE TEST" HOWEVER, THEY TOLD ME IT WAS NORMAL FOR A CAR AS OLD AS MINE (2009) TO USE OIL.

I AM USING 1 1/2 TO 2 1/2 QTS EVERY 2 WEEKS NOW.

I CONTACTED TOYOTA THIS WEEK AND WAS TOLD TOO LATE TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. OVER THE 5000 MILES OR 6 MONTHS SINCE TEST WAS DONE. i WAS TOLD COULD HAVE ANOTHER TEST DONE BUT NOT TOLD A TIME LIMIT.

I LOVE MY CAR BUT VERY UPSET AND WILL NEVER BUT ANOTHER TOYOTA!!!

I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY TREAT PEOPLE LIKE THIS WHEN THEY KNOW THERE'S A PROBLEM!!!

- , Walhonding, OH, USA

Dec 012016

Camry

2009 Camry oil consumption is high. Noticed a small leak as well. No solution yet.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 152016

Camry

Toyota issued letter about excess oil consumption. I lose about 1 1/2 quarts per 1000 miles. Did not get the car to Toyota prior to 10/31 - called them up and they tell me it was just a "concern" not a known part/system defect. Nothing they can/will do b/c I didn't get the car checked prior to 10/31.

- , Phoenixville, PA, USA

Apr 002016

Camry

Okay - got the initial letter about oil consumption earlier this year. First time it was noticed, my hubby changed the oil and it was 2 quarts low. Had to take back to dealer and have Toyota parts used and marked to make sure no one was messing with it. Lo and behold, did not use oil, according to the dealership. Still using oil. I called the dealership back and asked it if had to be brought back in the 1100-1300 mile window b/c ours is evidently using oil after this mark (or someone faked the test). Called the 800 Toyota # and was told to take it back at 6 months after first test or 5,000 miles. Does anyone know if anyone's vehicle has FAILED the oil consumption test? What does anyone know about the class action lawsuit. I KNOW my car is using oil but that doesn't seem to matter!

- , Jenkins, KY, USA

Nov 232016

Camry

Contacted Toyota customer service to confirm my vehicle was still eligible under the extended warranty. I explained that the vehicle is at 149,500 miles and I am experiencing issues with the excessive oil consumption. I only realized there was an issue because I was in traffic and hit my brake and the oil light flickered. I further explained that the vehicle would be under 150,000 miles when the test was initiated but would be over that mileage after the required 1100 miles to complete the test.

Customer service told me at that time because the test was initiated before the 150,000 miles it would still be eligible for the extended warranty. Took the car in this morning for the test, the dealership contacted Toyota to verify eligibility, and now they are saying that it is not eligible because it will be over 150,000 miles when the test is completed. How convenient for Toyota that most of the vehicles do not experience this issue until around 150,000 miles and even more convenient that they made it a requirement for the vehicle to be experiencing the issue before the vehicle could be covered.

So now I am forced to constantly monitor my oil level, deal with a diminished car value due to this issue, cover the cost of repair on my own, and have to file a lawsuit in order to get reimbursed for a known issue. It is unfortunate that individuals unknowing purchased a vehicle with a defective part have to file lawsuits in order to get the issue repaired. I have been a loyal Toyota customer. After this, I am strongly considering not purchasing another Toyota.

- , Laurel, MD, USA

Jul 052016

Camry Limited 4

I am trying to determine whether Toyota has taken any responsibility for the numerous complaints I have heard about regarding excessive oil consumption issues?

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 142015

Camry ES V4

Toyota Carlsbad 5424 Paseo Del Norte, Carlsbad, CA My wife and I purchased a brand new 2009 Camry from Toyota Carlsbad, at about 50.000 miles I noticed the oil pressure light will come on between services so I called in and spoke with a customer service representative and her response was " Do not worry, that is normal". Having automotive experience myself, I monitored the oil consumption for the next months and to my surprise my vehicle was burning 1 quart of oil every 1000 to 1200 miles, that is anything but normal. I brought this concern to Toyota's service advisor Kevin Skinner after I received a paper in the mail stating Toyota was looking into excessive oil consumption. Toyota Carlsbad performed an oil consumption test and my vehicle "passed" meaning my vehicle was performing at Toyota's "standards" (I did not agree with this statement, because my previous Toyota never burn that much oil even after driving 4000-5000 miles). The engine is burning way more oil than it should be. It's at it's highest point now, and we are grateful that the motor hasn't burned up and caused an accident while on the road. Toyota is aware of the 2AZ-FE engines having problems with oil consumption, but nothing has been done to fix this issue. Almost a year and 50.000 miles after I am still here raising my voice for Totoya of Carlsbad to take responsibility and keep valuable customers happy. I tried to reach out to service advisor Kevin Skinner for over four months now via e-mail/phone and still no answer.

-YR 11/20/2016

- , San Marcos, CA, USA

Oct 222016

Camry LE 2.4L

Motor oil consumption is excessive to the point that I have to check it every weekend. The dealer says is normal but they could have it checked by a mechanic for a fee of course. I can't afford to exchange the car for a newer at this moment. Not happy with my Toyota Camry at this moment and the lack of care from the Toyota Dealer.

- , Taylor, TX, USA