ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2018 Toyota Camry transmission problems: shifting roughly

Shifting Roughly

2018 Toyota Camry

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

8.0

2. has not and will not be fixed (3 reports)
  3. replace transmission (1 reports)
2018 Toyota Camry transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Toyota Camry:

2018 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Jul 122018

Camry SE

Today is 08/22/2018. I just bought a brand new Toyota Camry SE on July 12, 2018, not even 2 months ago. I notice when I try to accelerate from a stop, the car stalls even though I am accelerating. People behind me are honking because they don't understand, I am trying to go!! When the car finally does go, it lunges. The whole driving experience is awful and scary. People are apt to run right into from behind because the car just won't accelerate at first. When it finally figures out what to do....it lunges big time!!

I have had the car only 1 1/2 months. I noticed this almost from the beginning. I called the service department and without looking at it, the service guy told me on the phone that car has to get used to my driving...B.S.!! Another 3 weeks has gone by and no improvement at all. I just took it into the service department today and from the other complaints, I highly doubt anything will be fixed. I'll get some run around answer again and I will be told there is nothing that can be done.

I chose Toyota because they have always had the reputation of a well built, reliable car. Not so anymore. I regret buying this car. For everyone who has purchased this car and is experiencing these issues, it looks like everyone will have to just put up with the problem being an unhappy and worried driver, because this does pose some big safety issues, or sell it. Those that sell it will take a bath and those who keep it will be unhappy Toyota owners for the entire term of their ownership. This is really sad that Toyota is doing this to their customers. These cars have a serious transmission problem and need to be recalled.

I was going to sell my old car that the Toyota was suppose to replace but, that car is the one I am continuing to use instead of the new Toyota. And, my old car is a 1999 Pontiac Firebird (20 years old) and drives like a dream compared to the Toyota. Buying a new car is suppose to be a fun and exciting experience. What a horrible disappointment.

I hate the new Toyota. Will never buy another Toyota ever again and will make sure all friends and family are aware of this problem that Toyota will not fix.

- candicegordon, St. Louis, US

Nov 152017

Camry LE 4 cyl

In my opinion They should've left the transmission alonE. It was fine the way it was. This is extremely aggravating to know that I traded in a 2016 XLE that was paid off for a 2018 XLE with a payment of $200. and with the stress trying to trade out of it and purchasing another make and model that I did not like, turned around and traded it in for another 2018 Camry LE standard and it still shifts terrible and NOW being upside down in value my payment is $499. AWFUL DEPRESSED with Toyota.

- Linda S., Biloxi, MS, US

May 262018

Camry LE 3.5L V6

I got this brand new 2018 Toyota Camry on 5/23/18 at 1st I really like it, but the more drove it I noticed it has a problem shifting gears & its sluggish when accelerating. Mind you I hadn't has this car a week & I did a survey online stating how it accelerates & the service manager called me & he wanted to test drive my car he said nothing was wrong with it & to get 1500 miles on it & see If the problem changes, which it hasn't. But before I did the survey I brought the car to the salesman to let him drive & he said nothing was wrong with my car. Which was not true!

I am so feed up with this a whole situation. If I had of none I was going to have a car that has a hard time accelerating I would've keep my 2016 Toyota Corolla. Honestly a pray everyday before I get in the car because I'm scared someone may hit me, because of how it accelerates so slow. They've been giving me the run around about this car! I shouldn't be going through this with a brand new car!

- Shayla R., Greenwood, SC, US

Apr 202018

Camry SE 2.5L 4 cyl

I bought this car on April 4, 2018 as an early birthday gift to myself. I test drove it with the sales manager for a few miles. We went over all the safety features and the driver features. All seemed to perform very well and as should. I was very happy with the way the car handled, smooth riding, and the torque wasn't bad either.

I started noticing issues with the transmission shifting very rough, almost hesitating at times around the 2 week mark. By the 20th, I had already put nearly 900 miles on the car. I work about an hour away from home, hence why I wanted something economical. I called the sales manager and complained to him about the transmission. He informed me that it was a new transmission and it adapts to the owners driving style over time. He then said for me to just "give it hell" for awhile and it should straighten out.

I called to schedule my first free maintenance and complained about the transmission issues. When I went in to Toyota they said they were going to check out the transmission and test drive it. They would let me know if anything was out of the ordinary. After waiting 3 hours, the service manager said that the techs didn't find anything wrong with the transmission and couldn't duplicate the issue. (BULLSH*T) Anyone that drives this car can instantly feel the transmission shifting roughly. Continuing on... The service manager said that at this time there has been no recalls issued by Toyota for the transmissions and there was also no software updates available.

I'm not too worried about it really, because I have a Lifetime Powertrain warranty through the dealership. It's just annoying as hell to feel this transmission bump as it shifts through every single gear.

- icertified, Cedar Point, US

Jun 272018

Camry LXE V6

PURCHASED 06/27/2818, 3 MILES ON CAR. NOTICED IT WAS SHIFTING POORLY. TOOK BACK TO TOYOTA DEALERSHIP. THE SERVICE MANAGER SAID THEY COULD DO NOTHING TO FIX IT, THAT WAS JUST THE 8 SPEED TRANSMISSION.

HAD ONE CAMRY, 07- 93,000 MILES, OIL AND FILTERS THAT'S ALL. THIS NEW 2018 ISN'T WORTH THE MONEY. CAN'T BELIEVE TOYOTA PUT SOMETHING OUT LIKE THIS. PLANNING ON TRADING IF IT'S NOT FIXED.

- rogerbuddha, Florence, US

Camry XLE 4 Cyc

I purchased my 2018 Toyota Camry on Jan 01,18. The first week it ran really great and was very excited for my purchase. Love the styling, the color and MOST of the features. My biggest concern, as mentioned, is the shifting of the new 8 speed transmission. From a dead stop, it doesn’t seem to know when to shift and GO. I’m always looking behind me, and my wife as well. We are always wondering when we will be rear ended!!! or maybe trying to cross over a intersection and car not going or trying to merge on the freeway and get up to speed, it’s so sluggish. I push the gas down so hard and cross my fingers that it will get up and go at that moment. After several long seconds, it starts going! this sucks and not happy. I have a 2012 Prius that will run circles around this car, so you tell me.

- Brian M., Desert Hot Springs, CA, US

Apr 052018

Camry SE 4 cyl

I have the same problem of sometimes jerky shifting, especially when the car is cold. I was given an update but the problem appears to be still there.

- Richard C., Danvers, MA, US

Camry

WHEN THE CAR IN THE LOW SPEED AROUND 20 MILES/HOUR AND THE ENGINE AROUND 2000RPM, THE TRANSMISSION IS TRYING TO FIND SPECIFIED GEAR, MAKE THE CAR SPEED INCREASE AND DECREASE, IT JERKS THE CAR.

ANOTHER PROBLEM IS WHEN TRYING TO SPEED UP ON HIGHWAY, PRESS THE GAS PEDAL, THE CAR IS JUST LIKE THINKING THE LIFE PHILOSOPHY, THE RPM REACH 4000 AND THE CAR SUDDENLY SPEEDS UP.

- Peter D., Plymouth, US

May 162018

Camry XSE 3.5L

Don't buy this car! With only 3,000 on it it shut down and wouldn't accelerate over 25. Dealer said it was misfiring but couldn't fix it. Then while waiting in line to pick up my daughter it just turned off on me. Needless to say I don't have this vehicle anymore. Paid way too much for unreliable Camry.

- L. R., United States, US

May 212018

Camry SE 2.5L

Just purchased my 2018 Toyota Camry SE on May 14,18. The first week it ran really great and was very excited for my purchase. Love the styling, the color and MOST of the features. Except of course the Entune system, that has has several complaints. My biggest concern, as mentioned, is the shifting of the new 8 speed transmission. From a dead stop, it doesn’t seem to know when to shift and GO. I’m always looking behind me, waiting to be rear ended!!! Also, trying to merge on the freeway and get up to speed, it’s so sluggish. I push the gas down so hard and cross my fingers that it will get up and go at that moment. After several long seconds, it starts going! I have yet to experience the thumping noise when it does decide on which gear it should be in which I’ve read is an ongoing issue for some.

I didn’t expect to have to take such a new car in to the dealer so soon. I’m now at 803 miles and I’m not sure if this will be fixed. I love the car otherwise. I came from a 2007 Camry SE with a V6, so I thought I would have to get used to a 4 cylinder. But after doing research ( yes, unfortunately after the fact) it looks as if this is how it is. It’s apparent that it’s a Manufacturers problem. NOW FIX IT TOYOTA!!! It’s extremely unsafe when this problem occurs.

I’ve already ordered a K and N air filter to hopefully help this sluggish transmission. I hope it helps, because after reading, it doesn’t seem as though Toyota wants to find a fix to this problem. I will update after I install the air filter to see if it helps.

- Michelle R., Hemet, CA, US

Dec 012017

Camry SE

Purchased this car back in November and immediately noticed the rough shifts the transmission was giving. Noticed when driving up to a red light and beginning to slow down, but not yet at a complete stop, then seeing the light change and stepping on the gas I noticed very rough shifts. Same in stop and go traffic on the highway when you're never really at a complete stop and moving at the pace of the traffic. Also noticed recently that the transmission will downshift ON ITS OWN while I am cruising (not accelerating or slowing down) on the highway going 75 MPH. Scary to be driving so fast and feel the car jerk on you.

I took it to one dealership not even a month after I bought the car where they told me they hooked it up to the computer but found nothing. Fast forward a few months later to just this week, where I took it to a different dealership with the same complaint. They said they updated the software and that it should be running fine. Service department guy even told me that the new 8 speeds drive that way. Not buying it. Have been driving it since the new update but nothing has changed.

I travel a lot within the state and it is definitely scary and something I should not be worrying about with a brand new car. Will be looking to trade the car in if there is not a recall that gets to the bottom of this.

- Hector R., Dallas, US

Oct 152017

Camry XSE V6

This Camry does not shift correctly when it is cold. It does not matter what the temperature is outside - but the operating temperature of the vehicle makes all the difference. The first 3 or 4 gears that this vehicle attempts to find is extremely rough and or/inconsistent in how it works. I've never driven a car that is this jekyll/hyde.

Michael R. from Lebanon couldn't more perfectly summarize my same issues with the same type of vehicle which says to me we are experiencing the exact same issues.

Time for Toyota to step up and confirm that they are having issues with this new model/new transmission and work with those impacted.

Update from Sep 14, 2018: My local Toyota dealership continued to look into this issue. They allegedly found that the amount of transmission fluid that the car came with from the factory was low but only found this after performing several warm/cold tests. Unfortunately the issues are as bad or worse since fluid was added. I truly believe this is a mechanical issue with the vehicle that needs to be addressed by Toyota through recall.

- Michael S., Rochester, US

Nov 302017

Camry SE 2.5L

I see I'm not the only one with a complaint about the 2018 Camry 8 speed automatic. I have contacted NCDS, an arbitration process Toyota subscribes to and listed in one of the many manuals you get when you buy the car. This is step 2 in the process. Step 3 is Lemon Law which I will file if nothing is resolved with arbitration. Would recommend anyone having this tranny problem do the same. These procedures are a pain but if enough people do it the manufacturer will have to address the problem. In my opinion Toyota rushed this transmission to market before it was ready to go.

Update from Jun 20, 2018: NCDS arbitration yields nothing, waste of time. I wouldn't advise using it, Toyota used the results against me in the Lemon Law complaint. The AG states that it appears to be a personal dispute between me and Toyota and cannot rule. They advised I talk to an attorney. I did but unless I can duplicate the problem it will be hard to prove in court.

I have filed a report with NATSA about this transmission but they will need a lot more than me before they will budge.

It goes without saying stay away from the Camry if you are thinking about buying one. You will be stuck.

Update from Jul 7, 2018: Filed under the Lemon Law but apparently it has no teeth. I believe the manufacturers have found away around it, they do nothing so there is no paper work, nothing that can be held against them. My car's shifting problem went so far as to go into neutral a couple of times for a few seconds before it banged into a gear. On one occasion I could have been involved in an accident. I filed a report with NATSA which I think everyone affected should do. The more complaints they get the greater the chance they will look into it. I have consulted with an attorney but was told unless a repair was performed and didn't work, paperwork, it would be useless to to pursue in court. Burden of proof rest with the accuser, me. Explains why Toyota won't address the issue. I solved my problem the only way I had left and that was to trade in for a different car, not a Toyota. Won't have another Toyota after this one.

Update from Aug 31, 2018: As I said in my last update I traded the car off. I bought a 2018 Kia Optima EX, similar to the Camry. After 5,500 miles I can say that Kia has it all over the Camry in every way. Wish I would have looked there in the first place.

- Richard C., Pinebluff, US

Camry SE 4 cyl

2018 Camry SE transmission shifts extremely rough. And when you push hard on the accelerator it can’t decide what to do. So there is a delay before it decides. In the mean time the engine is revving up. The transmission is still thinking what to do. Like the old bugs bunny cartoon where the tortoise and the hare are racing. The tortoise winds up and his legs are moving really fast, but when he finally hits the road he is going really slow. Very frightening and hazardous in traffic in the real world.

- John H., Fort Worth, TX, US

Feb 142018

Camry ES 4

Shifts like a car from the 70s 80s. Constantly down shifts. Should not be so noticeable. Poor attempt at introducing a new 8 speed transmission.

- Rich C., Fort Myers, FL, US

Nov 012017

Camry XSE 3.5L V6

I finally picked up my car after waiting forever for it to finally hit the dealership. I put a deposit on one in June of 2018 before even seeing it. I fell in love instantly in photos, and after my previous experience with Camrys and other Toyotas in general, I took the plunge.

I took Delivery on 10/20/2017 and was in love with ALMOST everything.

When the vehicle is cold, the colder the worse the issue. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is abrupt. It almost feels like its slipping between gears. Happens for a few minutes and then goes away. I talked to a friend of mine that is a New Car Sales Manager for Toyota in the DCMVA area, and he said his experience with the XSE V6 Demo he had was the same. I haven't brought it up to my dealer yet. I just noticed that its when it's cold - so I figure maybe I'll get a trans software update. I kind of chalk it up to having the first car of its kind in the area. there are bound to be bugs. But I may bring it in before it gets warmer. I work a LOT and not having a car is not conducive to such.... I also notice that when you floor it... the transmission is like "umm, lets see... what gear do I downshift to?" and you feel it search for the lowest gear. It'll down shift, then u feel it shift again, and then finally it takes off.

I come from a background of many different vehicles with different transmissions... and this is definitely not normal. My 2.0L Turbo Sonata was faster to downshift than this. Hopefully they have some sort of fix for it soon.

- Michael R., Lebanon, US

Sep 282017

Camry SE 2.5L 4 cyl

So I work for a Toyota Dealer here where I live. Thought I'd give Toyota a chance since I've worked here for quite sometime. I leased the 2018 Camry SE figuring it's a Toyota, cheap to maintain good resale value if I traded it in or kept it. I was told I have to get used to how the new 8 speed transmission shifted. 2,000 miles later and I know that this is a problem!! I have had our service manager look at it I printed the other 3 complaints that I am experiencing all but trans loss. We have customers calling in and complaining! I was told there is no fix yet figuring maybe software update. So I as an employee of a Toyota was told to call Toyota of North America for assistance? So i did no real help and was told they would put me on "the list" until more issues occur and there is a fix or recall. I said not good enough we have customers calling in about this and we couldn't even do anything with this issue? I asked to escalate the issue to possibly a BUY Back. That could take a few years of back and fourth as well as agony and still having to deal with this problem on a BRAND NEW CAR! And a TOYOTA of all things! But I see that the 2017 Highlander and Sienna with the 8 speed trans are blowing up so TOYOTA needs to deal with this immediately!! IF any of you that have made complaints or are going to have any new info on what their dealers are doing please contact me!! Or post on this site. But I experience, rough slam into gear in the morning/when cold, I also experience rough shifting, wont stay in one gear consistently and when accelerating it feels as though its in 3rd gear then drops to 1rst. i have had others here experience that as well. These symptoms are weather cold or warm in temperature. Still dealing with and working trading for another make of vehicle........

- Michael C., Colorado Springs, US

Dec 182017

Camry SE 2.4L

Avoid buying this car!! Please, I regret my decision making and will be trading in the car soon.

Test drove a 2018 Camry LE. My wife and I immediately noticed it had really jerky shifts between gears. The sales person informed us this was a brand new design for the Camry. When we told him about the bad shifting, he introduced us to the SE model. It did not suffer the same easily noticeable jerkiness. For the price, it appeared a great deal, and we purchased the car.

The next morning, when the outside weather dropped to about 30 degrees F. When I back the car out of the driveway into the street, and shifted into Drive, the transmission slammed hard into gear. It continued to do every morning. I brought this to Toyota's Service department.

They said Toyota just released a TSB about this exact problem. They had an update to the cars computer. I was thankful there was a fix. I was wrong. After several long hours, they contacted me and informed me that my vehicle has the update to the system already, and there was nothing they could do. Apparently, Toyota knows there is already a major problem with the 2018 Camry that is not even 6 months old. There software fix did not solve the problem. It's a defective physical design.

I was recently visiting family down in Florida, and a gentleman has the same car. We got to talking, and he experiences the same issues. They have not have the same cold weather. So it's not just a cold weather issue, it is a transmission issue. AVOID this car. Don't spend the rest of your time owning this car in the service department trying to convince the techs that your car has this issue in the morning. They have already tried denying the problem and trying get out of fixing it, and it's only been the first week at 75 miles. I truly regret buying this car. Please don't. I wish I would have read this beforehand.

- Allen D., Concord, US